If you were a mod, who would you ban?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:21:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you were a mod, who would you ban?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: If you were a mod, who would you ban?  (Read 12220 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »
« edited: July 25, 2018, 04:17:06 PM by Calthrina950 »

I would ban the following individuals:

1. 136or42
2. LandslideLyndon
3. AtorBoltox
4. maineiac4434🌲🌹
5. DoctorImperialism
6. Ghost of Ruin
7. ProudModerate2
8. SWE

There are several others who I would give a temporary ban or a warning to.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »

1) 136or42
2) LandslideLyndon
3) AtorBoltox
4) maineiac4434🌲🌹
5) DoctorImperialism
6) Ghost of Ruin
7) ProudModerate2
Cool SWE

Why the hate for lefties?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »

1) 136or42
2) LandslideLyndon
3) AtorBoltox
4) maineiac4434🌲🌹
5) DoctorImperialism
6) Ghost of Ruin
7) ProudModerate2
Cool SWE

It's not a hatred for lefties. There are other left-leaning posters on here (i.e. New Frontier, Bagel23) who seem to be pretty decent, particularly the latter. The problem I have with these people is that they indulge in ad hominem attacks, are arrogant and overconfident, and have little respect for ideological viewpoints that are not the same as theirs. They are also hyper-partisan and flat out cruel.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »

I think Calthrina believes the named individuals are unduly caustic. But as a middle of the road type, I wonder why there are no posters on the right that she finds deserving of the caustic box.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2018, 04:19:52 PM »

I think Calthrina believes the named individuals are unduly caustic. But as a middle of the road type, I wonder why there are no posters on the right that she finds deserving of the caustic box.

I'm actually a he, but that's a common mistake given my username. I chose these individuals because they seem to be particularly egregious in the comments that they make, and the behavior in which they engage. And the left-leaning individuals on this forum are the most offensive. There are other websites that I go to where the opposite is true, and where I would ban a lot of the right-leaning people.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2018, 04:33:15 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2018, 04:37:45 PM by Torie »

I'm actually a he, but that's a common mistake given my username. I chose these individuals because they seem to be particularly egregious in the comments that they make, and the behavior in which they engage. And the left-leaning individuals on this forum are the most offensive. There are other websites that I go to where the opposite is true, and where I would ban a lot of the right-leaning people.

I assume you are aware that I have zero tolerance for ad hominem attacks of posters, and will infract any such post that contains such on boards that I moderate. I will do so, even if there is merit to the attack. Attack the content of a post, not the poster. Being offensive about expressing a point of view or vicious attacks on public figures is another matter. That comes with engaging in the public square. Anyway, if you report a post with an ad hominem attack on a poster, I promise you that I shall act on it, and act on it promptly. And it is my perception that such attacks are waning here, precisely because such a hard line position is taken on this matter, by me and some others in the Cave.

Sorry about messing up your gender.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »

I assume you are aware that I have zero tolerance for ad hominem attacks of posters, and will infract any such post that contains such on boards that I moderate. I will do so, even if there is merit to the attack. Attack the content of a post, not the poster. Being offensive about expressing a point of view or vicious attacks on public figures is another matter. That comes with engaging in the public square. Anyway, if you report a post with an ad hominem attack on a poster, I promise you that I shall act on it, and act on it promptly. And it is my perception that such attacks are waning here, precisely because such a hard line position is taken on this matter, by me and some others in the Cave.

Sorry about messing up your gender.

That is fine. And thank you for that. I have reported offensive posts made by several people over time, and I will do so again if it is necessary. I believe that this place should be a civil forum for debate, and such attacks discourage many of the people who post here.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2018, 11:37:01 PM »

heartbroken that i have failed to express my utter contempt for calthrina's ideology enough to make the list

anyway, i wouldn't ban anyone, exactly, but i think it would be very funny to confine the moderate heroes to their own board ("the civility corner") where they could pontificate freely without bothering the rest of us
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2018, 08:21:12 AM »

1. 136or42
2. LandslideLyndon
3. AtorBoltox
4. maineiac4434🌲🌹
5. DoctorImperialism
6. Ghost of Ruin
7. ProudModerate2
8. SWE

I wouldn't ban any of them, but these guys are, by and large, the ones who have expressed the most personal animosity toward me.  (Ghost of Ruin excepted; he's "out there", but it's not personal with him as it is with the others, who are often nasty in a way he's not.)  I'd add Invisible Obama to that list.  But I wouldn't ban any of them; indeed, I don't have any of them on ignore (and some of them have disparaged me quite explicitly and emphatically).  This is Atlas; not everyone likes you or I here.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2018, 09:18:46 AM »

Probably just Krazen and jfern, honestly.

They’re legitimately the only two posters who have never once in my time here, going on five years, contributed an iota of value to Atlas beyond their drive-by trolling. There are a number of posters on here who are bad posters but they’re unintentionally hilarious, but the aforementioned two are wastes of bandwidth.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »

1) 136or42
2) LandslideLyndon
3) AtorBoltox
4) maineiac4434🌲🌹
5) DoctorImperialism
6) Ghost of Ruin
7) ProudModerate2
Cool SWE

It's not a hatred for lefties. There are other left-leaning posters on here (i.e. New Frontier, Bagel23) who seem to be pretty decent, particularly the latter. The problem I have with these people is that they indulge in ad hominem attacks, are arrogant and overconfident, and have little respect for ideological viewpoints that are not the same as theirs. They are also hyper-partisan and flat out cruel.

Isn't Bagel notorious as one of the most amoral partisan hacks around, given that he does things like celebrate when republican candidates get hurt?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2018, 11:25:33 AM »

They’re legitimately the only two posters who have never once in my time here, going on five years, contributed an iota of value to Atlas beyond their drive-by trolling. There are a number of posters on here who are bad posters but they’re unintentionally hilarious, but the aforementioned two are wastes of bandwidth.

Agree totally about those two, but what about LimoLiberal?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »

Agree totally about those two, but what about LimoLiberal?

Limo is annoying as all else but it’s fun watching him get dunked on. See also: Reaganfan.

Honestly they probably *should* be purged from Atlas but I reserve a special contempt for the posters I named.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2018, 02:04:50 PM by Calthrina950 »

1. 136or42
2. LandslideLyndon
3. AtorBoltox
4. maineiac4434🌲🌹
5. DoctorImperialism
6. Ghost of Ruin
7. ProudModerate2
8. SWE

I wouldn't ban any of them, but these guys are, by and large, the ones who have expressed the most personal animosity toward me.  (Ghost of Ruin excepted; he's "out there", but it's not personal with him as it is with the others, who are often nasty in a way he's not.)  I'd add Invisible Obama to that list.  But I wouldn't ban any of them; indeed, I don't have any of them on ignore (and some of them have disparaged me quite explicitly and emphatically).  This is Atlas; not everyone likes you or I here.

I understand that, but these people go way over the line in their attacks. I wouldn't have any problem with them if they criticized my ideology or my opinions in a polite and civil manner. Instead, they tend to take things personally, and launch nasty, vicious attacks against me. Such attacks, when they involve insults, profanity, and ad hominem attacks, causes a considerable amount of trouble, generating most of the reported posts and the moderation actions. I converse with people on both sides of the spectrum, and get along with people on both sides. When you attack someone, instead of having an intellectual debate with them, that makes it less likely that they will pay any heed to what you say in the future.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »

Krazen, Limo, and hemorrhofoid.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2018, 02:28:22 PM »

No one, but Famous Mortimer is under probation to post about something other than immigration at least once per login session.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2018, 03:13:35 PM »

None, unless someone violates the rules. I don't believe in banning people just because they have a different opinion (of course, this has limits, but then we're again at the rule breaking issue).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2018, 06:55:06 AM »

What's the justification for Reaganfan? Making Atlas a safe space for lefties and RINOs only?

Probably just LimoLiberal since our resident insecure children can't help but shower every troll post he makes with attention and it has a habit of ruining election threads.

Just ban the people like PittsburghSteel who feel compelled to respond with "outrage" to every troll post of Andrew's.

Also, I don't understand why people want to ban ReaganFan, krazen and Sanchez. I'm sure they're terrible people, but it's not like their unrepresentative of ~40% of the country. Presumably (or hopefully, rather) most of these Atlas Dems will have jobs at some point where they'll find they have to work with and tolerate assholes like ReaganFan, krazen and Sanchez and pretend to be friends with them. You can't just stick your head in the sand, folks.

There are no people like that at my job. I once heard a supervisor there describe someone from her husband's side of the family as "like a Republican" to show how difficult she was to get along with (not that she was literally a Republican but as an ad hominem of sorts .)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2018, 09:22:44 AM »

What's the justification for Reaganfan? Making Atlas a safe space for lefties and RINOs only?

Probably just LimoLiberal since our resident insecure children can't help but shower every troll post he makes with attention and it has a habit of ruining election threads.

Just ban the people like PittsburghSteel who feel compelled to respond with "outrage" to every troll post of Andrew's.

Also, I don't understand why people want to ban ReaganFan, krazen and Sanchez. I'm sure they're terrible people, but it's not like their unrepresentative of ~40% of the country. Presumably (or hopefully, rather) most of these Atlas Dems will have jobs at some point where they'll find they have to work with and tolerate assholes like ReaganFan, krazen and Sanchez and pretend to be friends with them. You can't just stick your head in the sand, folks.

There are no people like that at my job. I once heard a supervisor there describe someone from her husband's side of the family as "like a Republican" to show how difficult she was to get along with (not that she was literally a Republican but as an ad hominem of sorts .)

Do you work at a food pantry for the vegan homeless?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2018, 09:27:33 AM »

Do you work at a food pantry for the vegan homeless?

I work in student loan counseling.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2018, 10:22:07 AM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2018, 12:39:18 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2018, 01:16:53 PM by Pope Michael Bolton »

Famous Mortimer, Reaganfan, Smoltchanov, Andrew from RRH, Hillgoose, Mondale (anyone who complains about Andrew and opposes banning Mondale is a hypocrite since not only is Mondale much worse than Andrew, he’s essentially a left-wing Krazen), Krazen, whoever it was that tried to blackmail Luner with a doxing threat because of fantasyland (Bgwah, I think) would all be banned if it was up to me.  

Sanchez would definitely be on mod review, although honestly, I might very well have already banned him by now.  Beet would be on mod review too.  Hofoid and Jfern would have gotten a warning by now and IceSpear might’ve also gotten one during the height of his pre-AL special spamming with troll posts.  I’d also ban anyone who makes a sock account on the spot.  Some folks would’ve definitely gotten warnings for how they talked about Mormons back in 2012.  I’d also bring back infraction points.  In hindsight, getting rid of those was definitely a mistake.  No one else comes to mind at the moment, but I am just thinking off the top of my head.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »

Famous Mortimer, Reaganfan, Smoltchanov, Andrew from RRH, Hillgoose, Mondale (anyone who complains about Andrew and opposes banning Mondale is a hypocrite since not only is Mondale much worse than Andrew, he’s essentially a left-wing Krazen), whoever it was that tried to blackmail Luner with a doxing threat because of fantasyland (Bgwah, I think) would all be banned if it was up to me.  

But you're not banning krazen. LOL
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2018, 01:15:02 PM »

Also what's wrong with the things people said about Mormons in 2012? People say similar things about Republicans/Trump supporters today. Its not comparable to racism because Mormons aren't a race and is an identity one chooses, lile being a Republican or supporting Trump.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2018, 01:18:57 PM »

Famous Mortimer, Reaganfan, Smoltchanov, Andrew from RRH, Hillgoose, Mondale (anyone who complains about Andrew and opposes banning Mondale is a hypocrite since not only is Mondale much worse than Andrew, he’s essentially a left-wing Krazen), whoever it was that tried to blackmail Luner with a doxing threat because of fantasyland (Bgwah, I think) would all be banned if it was up to me.  

But you're not banning krazen. LOL

Krazen not being listed was a typo and he has been added to the list.

Also what's wrong with the things people said about Mormons in 2012? People say similar things about Republicans/Trump supporters today. Its not comparable to racism because Mormons aren't a race and is an identity one chooses, lile being a Republican or supporting Trump.

If memory serves, some folks like Lief crossed the line into outright religious bigotry.  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies