June 2019 -SCOTUS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:09:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  June 2019 -SCOTUS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: June 2019 -SCOTUS  (Read 1226 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »

I think it would be wise to wait until Ginsburg can no longer serve to overturn Roe and maybe Obergefell so Trump can get the 6-3 majority first. Hopefully a second term thing.
i dount obergefell will be overturned, more than two thirds of america supports it
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 05:21:39 PM »

Roe, Obergefell, and Miranda will all have been overturned.

The other 2 may be nuked, but Obergefell will survive.

What exactly makes you so sure?

John Roberts will save it. He was part of the 6-3 Paven v. Smith ruling.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2018, 05:38:06 PM »

Basically this means the Kennedy Court ends and the Roberts Court begins because he's likely to be the swing vote most often now. Even if a case that would allow for Roe to be overturned reached the Court in 2019 (which is highly doubtful one could get there that soon) I don't see him supporting an outright reversal, but merely additional restrictions on abortion access.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 05:45:41 PM »

Oh yes....Im sure John Roberts, the guy who over three decades ago, tried and failed to convince the Reagan Justice Department to endorse a number of radical legislative proposals that would strip the federal courts of jurisdiction to hear cases concerning such issues as school prayer, school busing, and abortion will save Roe V Wade.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2018, 06:16:30 PM »

Oh yes....Im sure John Roberts, the guy who over three decades ago, tried and failed to convince the Reagan Justice Department to endorse a number of radical legislative proposals that would strip the federal courts of jurisdiction to hear cases concerning such issues as school prayer, school busing, and abortion will save Roe V Wade.

Was such jurisdiction stripped?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2018, 06:22:49 PM »

Was such jurisdiction stripped?

No but its obvious that hes not going to save Roe. While I dont expect the Roberts Court to explicitly overturn Roe....they're just going to let states do what they want with abortion (along with most social issues)

Personally, i dont think this is such a bad idea, because even the perception of Roe being overturned would be a boon for progressives.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »

Roberts actually cares about his own legacy and the credibility of the court.  I don't think he wants his court to be the one that overturns Roe vs Wade.

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »

Roberts actually cares about his own legacy and the credibility of the court.  I don't think he wants his court to be the one that overturns Roe vs Wade.

As said before, the Roberts court is really sneaky because they rarely explicitly overturn previous cases. Some state will pass abortion restrictions, it'll make its way to SCOTUS, and they'll just greenlight for the states to do what they want regarding abortion.. But dont expect them to explicitly write in the opinion that this overturns Roe v. Wade.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 07:16:29 PM »

Roe, Obergefell, and Miranda will all have been overturned.
Nah. Obergefell's a done deal.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2018, 08:46:15 PM »

I actually don't see Roe v Wade ever being overturned. It's an issue the justices typically don't like to touch on.

Trump's appointees will not be typical.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2018, 08:48:12 PM »

As said before, the Roberts court is really sneaky because they rarely explicitly overturn previous cases. Some state will pass abortion restrictions, it'll make its way to SCOTUS, and they'll just greenlight for the states to do what they want regarding abortion.. But dont expect them to explicitly write in the opinion that this overturns Roe v. Wade.

They will just keep saying that nothing is an undue burden.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2018, 09:51:33 AM »

I actually don't see Roe v Wade ever being overturned. It's an issue the justices typically don't like to touch on.

Trump's appointees will not be typical.

I think this is a good point.  A lot of posters are saying that the court won't touch Roe because it'd be too divisive, but honestly I'm not sure the conservative justices care about that.  While ultimately restrictions on abortion and not a full overturn are likely, I'd bet on abortion laws changing somewhat. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2018, 09:57:38 AM »

If there are bans on abortion, females will go to CA to have their abortions, it doesn't matter
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »

If there are bans on abortion, females will go to CA to have their abortions, it doesn't matter

Think a lot of people will move over this?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies