CPRM, Pt 3: LA 11/6
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 11:43:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CPRM, Pt 3: LA 11/6
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97
Author Topic: CPRM, Pt 3: LA 11/6  (Read 121730 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2350 on: September 13, 2018, 11:37:36 PM »

Simple, Cuomo is begging him to come back, and the only reason Felder stayed with the GOP was because they promised him a seat in power. He said that if the Ds flip the senate, he switches. Anyway, Felder is one of Cuomo's top allies, so I expect Cuomo to welcome him back, just as he did the IDC(less so the legislature)

You seem to operate on the assumption that Cuomo is a bad politician. Of course, he was begging Felder to come back - he wanted a majority, and there isn't one without Felder. Assuming he has a majority without Felder, why would he need him? To ensure the yeshiva vote in 2020?

No, Im talking about that Felder is literally a Cuomo ally, I mean literally. The two are personal friends, and Cuomo helped to fund his campaign, even though he was a traitor Dem. Sure, getting Felder to rejoin the caucus would have been smart politiking, but it didnt happen. In the end, Felder and Cuomo won, Felder gets to have the power he wants, and Cuomo gets his ally back in the caucus in 2019.

Cuomo is not a bad politician, hes actually a really good one, but he is, however, a corrupt one. Both are not mutually exclusive

Did he get a D majority, yes, did he get a good one, one loyal to him and the state machine, no.

Well, as usual, loyal to state and local machines. Some of which will call themselves "progressive".

Which is why the state and local  party actively funded their opponents. Come on, this isnt even logical anymore. The facts are there, the state senate moved Left today by a large margin, and Cuomo lost his loyalists. This isnt some 9th dimensional chess move, the anti-machine Ds now constitute a majority of both chambers.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2351 on: September 13, 2018, 11:38:31 PM »

What would be the point of welcoming him back?

Just another vote at the end of the day. I actually don't hold as much against Felder as I did against the IDC, as his district is a Romney-Trump district, so it at least makes more sense with him. The IDC had no excuse.

Another vote for what? Once the chamber is organized, it will vote like the NYState legislature always votes: for whatever is agreed with the leadership. Forcing the community to eat a humble pie and send somebody else in his place would make a lot of educational sense.

IDC had a perfect excuse: they wanted power in the Senate that normally is concentrated in the hands of the majority leader. Alas, this is a too partisan age for that game to go on.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2352 on: September 13, 2018, 11:40:20 PM »

Cuomo is not a bad politician, hes actually a really good one, but he is, however, a corrupt one. Both are not mutually exclusive

We seem to have a very different definition of "corruption". I find him to be a remarkably honest politican.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2353 on: September 13, 2018, 11:41:01 PM »

Source?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2354 on: September 13, 2018, 11:41:06 PM »

It looks even worse when you include the Obama 2012 numbers. I think he won all of them, and almost all comfortably or more too. But, then again, these voters seem more Republican downballot (at least up to this point), so maybe it doesn't matter too much.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2355 on: September 13, 2018, 11:46:03 PM »

His top funders include Peter Rebenwurzel, Jack Kishk, and Joseph J. Sitt, who are Cuomo loyalists and contributes as well.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2356 on: September 13, 2018, 11:49:55 PM »

His top funders include Peter Rebenwurzel, Jack Kishk, and Joseph J. Sitt, who are Cuomo loyalists and contributes as well.

that isn't the same thing, is it? Are you friends with all of your friends' friends?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2357 on: September 13, 2018, 11:53:36 PM »

that isn't the same thing, is it? Are you friends with all of your friends' friends?

Come on dude, don't go all Fuzzy on us. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2358 on: September 13, 2018, 11:54:26 PM »

No, it is the same thing. They are literally Cuomo's allies, and its already been documented that they follow his orders on who to fund. But you seem to be making as many excuses as possible, so me saying this is rather pointless.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2359 on: September 13, 2018, 11:59:39 PM »

No, it is the same thing. They are literally Cuomo's allies, and its already been documented that they follow his orders on who to fund. But you seem to be making as many excuses as possible, so me saying this is rather pointless.

Documented where? Mind to provide a source?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2360 on: September 14, 2018, 12:01:29 AM »

Come on dude, don't go all Fuzzy on us. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Felder is a communal politician - that is his type of a duck. Maintaining links with a community is more than sufficient motivation to fund him - even in the absence of coordination with the state governor.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2361 on: September 14, 2018, 12:02:43 AM »

The NYS dynamics are atypical. The GOP essentially wins many places because it is seen as a check on the political power of New York City. There is also deeply entrenched incumbents with cross-party popularity (Robach, for example).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2362 on: September 14, 2018, 12:03:16 AM »

Felder is a communal politician - that is his type of a duck. Maintaining links with a community is more than sufficient motivation to fund him - even in the absence of coordination with the state governor.

Ok dude, it's your prerogative to put your head in the sand and ignore reality like Trump cultists do.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2363 on: September 14, 2018, 12:05:04 AM »

My proof is that they are his main contributers, and the fact that they support every candidate he supports, which is not a coincidence. There is also a couple news articles about him meeting with these people, but Im not going to waste my time finding them, since your just going to plug your ears in.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2364 on: September 14, 2018, 12:16:52 AM »

Guys, as i said many times - no one can convince no one in such "discussions". It's all matter of interpretation. For me, for example, ag's position is MUCH closer then zaybay's. But - it's for ME. Everyone will stick to his/her, and ONLY his/her, opinion))))
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2365 on: September 14, 2018, 12:27:51 AM »

Except for the part where Cuomo actively encouraged Democrats to join the IDC.

You know full well it was not quite that. Cuomo can count votes. He needs to work with whatever majority there is in the Senate. Cooperating with the Republican Senate majority (and, given Felder, there is still a Republican majority) is a long-standing practice in the state. Once he realized that, due to the new partisan reality, IDC´s existence actually harmed his reputation, he made sure they folded.

That Republican majority is a hair away from being DOA after the general election.   There are five seats R-held Clinton won by more than 5% (including three by around 15%, and the open SD-50 seat), and a number of other R-held swing seats that are all up for election in November.

Meanwhile the Democrats only really have one vulnerable seat (SD-8).  They aren't contesting Felder's seat.

The chances of Republicans holding onto their slim majority are looking pretty tiny.

Can you elaborate on which GOP seats are most vulnerable? I'm curious.

SD-40 is particularly vulnerable since it trended so hard to Clinton from 2012, and 39 being an open race.   

Other than SD-22 the Democrats are probably close to maxed out in NYC (excluding Savino and Felder obviously).   Most of the gains will be in Nassau and Upstate NY.   The area that makes up districts 5 and 7 trended hard to Clinton from 2012 as well.

Thanks!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2366 on: September 14, 2018, 12:28:47 AM »

LOL, that tool Ryan Grim thinks that Maloney's district is now Likely R.
What an ignorant fool.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2367 on: September 14, 2018, 01:29:16 AM »

My proof is that they are his main contributers, and the fact that they support every candidate he supports, which is not a coincidence. There is also a couple news articles about him meeting with these people, but Im not going to waste my time finding them, since your just going to plug your ears in.

A Jewish realtor in Brooklyn donating to an ultra-Orthodox Jewish politician. Surely, he must have been ordered to do so by an Italian governor Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2368 on: September 14, 2018, 01:30:33 AM »

Ok dude, it's your prerogative to put your head in the sand and ignore reality like Trump cultists do.

Are you trying to offend me? Should I report you? Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2369 on: September 14, 2018, 02:01:28 AM »

Oh ffs, cut it out you two. This is a stupid debate that's going nowhere.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2370 on: September 14, 2018, 02:16:25 AM »

Which debate? I thought this was a friendly discussion of NY politics. Or has this place changed to the point where any disagreement on any matter is prohibited? Is one now only supposed to say things like "thank you very much for a profound and thoughtful argument you have provided"? I am trying to give this place another chance, but, it seems, at this point, anything beyond trivialities an pablum is frowned upon here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2371 on: September 14, 2018, 02:37:49 AM »

Which debate? I thought this was a friendly discussion of NY politics. Or has this place changed to the point where any disagreement on any matter is prohibited? Is one now only supposed to say things like "thank you very much for a profound and thoughtful argument you have provided"? I am trying to give this place another chance, but, it seems, at this point, anything beyond trivialities an pablum is frowned upon here.

Whatever you want to call it, it's annoying, it's going around in circles, it's derailing this thread, and it needs to stop.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2372 on: September 14, 2018, 02:47:23 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2018, 07:19:26 AM by smoltchanov »

Not everyone has enough brains and tact for "friendly discussion". Not everyone can argue his/her feelings. Not everyone is taught to respect an opinion of other people, even when it's fundumentally different from it's own. And so on. The list is very long...
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2373 on: September 14, 2018, 05:39:02 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2018, 05:46:21 AM by Zaybay »

No, hes right, this has gone no where from where we started. There is no point in arguing with someone who fundamentally wont listen.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2374 on: September 14, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »

No, hes right, this has gone no where from where we started. There is no point in arguing with someone who fundamentally wont listen.

Well, frankly speaking, as far as i can deduce from our "discussions" - you don't like to listen attentively to other people arguments either. And i am to blame too: it's rare cases, when opponent's arguments convince me....)))).It's generally in people's nature. As i often say - only one opinion is critically important to me - my own..
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies