Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:35:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 80
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein  (Read 172763 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: July 14, 2022, 12:17:36 PM »

In the case if they we going first to consultation round, some analysts and politicians like De Alema are trying to invoke the "ipotesi Amato", in reference to call the former PM and current President of the Constitutional Court Giuliano Amato to be nominated as interim PM (like happened in 1992 or 2000) for what remains to the legislature or until snap elections.

An Amato III government would be so absurd, so logic-defying, so ridiculously "digging up political fossils" that it is probably exactly what Italy deserves (and would give the parties time to write a new electoral law and pass a budget and whatever else). Obviously I am not surprised that it was Massimo D'Alema to reportedly come up with this big-brained idea, it's what he does best.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1201 on: July 14, 2022, 12:20:20 PM »

172 votes are actually more than enough for a majority, so I'm not sure what the fretting is all about. Just kick M5S out and carry on.

Mattarella can definitely refuse the resignation for that reason... but we have to see whether the rest of the majority is going to crumble apart afterwards.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1202 on: July 14, 2022, 12:55:51 PM »

Italian President Sergio Mattarella rejected a resignation offer from Prime Minister Mario Draghi, according to a statement from the head of state’s office.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1203 on: July 14, 2022, 01:36:18 PM »

It sounds like Draghi really wants out regardless, even though he could go on without M5S. Tbh, he seems to have gotten sick of the job after he failed to be elected President last Winter, and might have been looking for an excuse to ride off into the sunset. Still though, that's a pretty awful time to do it, and I'd much rather he stay on (although admittedly giving Salvini control over when the next elections happen would be its own can of worms).
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1204 on: July 14, 2022, 02:54:18 PM »

It sounds like Draghi really wants out regardless, even though he could go on without M5S. Tbh, he seems to have gotten sick of the job after he failed to be elected President last Winter, and might have been looking for an excuse to ride off into the sunset. Still though, that's a pretty awful time to do it, and I'd much rather he stay on (although admittedly giving Salvini control over when the next elections happen would be its own can of worms).

What control would Salvini have? It's not like he can keep propping up Draghi but then pull the plug in the middle of budget negotiations, and I don't think it would make much difference to vote in January 2023 or March 2023.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1205 on: July 14, 2022, 03:15:44 PM »

What control would Salvini have? It's not like he can keep propping up Draghi but then pull the plug in the middle of budget negotiations, and I don't think it would make much difference to vote in January 2023 or March 2023.

I mean it would be a silly thing to do, but you never know with these people. Either way, it doesn't seem like Draghi is interested in exploring the option.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1206 on: July 14, 2022, 04:51:51 PM »

If Draghi does resign and Parliament is dissolved during this month, the general election will only happen in January next year? Isn't that too late?
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #1207 on: July 14, 2022, 05:55:35 PM »

no over 70 day from the dissolution, but i've many doubt they dissolve the parliament this month, the use it's try to form a government so we lost some time, weeks
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1208 on: July 14, 2022, 06:25:29 PM »

The myth of "consensual" resignation

M5S: I consent
Mario Draghi: I consent
Sergio Mattarella: I don't

Isn't there someone you forgot to ask?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1209 on: July 14, 2022, 07:30:18 PM »

If Draghi does resign and Parliament is dissolved during this month, the general election will only happen in January next year? Isn't that too late?

No, we were talking about the scenario where Draghi does not resign and Parliament isn't dissolved during this month.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1210 on: July 15, 2022, 11:57:19 AM »

Bloomberg reports: Mario Draghi has signaled that he’s determined to resign as Italy’s prime minister next week since he doesn’t have the backing of all the parties in his splintered governing alliance, according to people familiar with the matter. 
PetrSokol
Rookie
Czech Republic

« Reply #1211 on: July 16, 2022, 12:46:28 PM »

Is there any chance that Draghi will in the next elections? Is he thinking about a new party?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1212 on: July 16, 2022, 02:40:08 PM »

Is there any chance that Draghi will in the next elections? Is he thinking about a new party?

He'd be lucky to do as well as Monti and Dini when they tried that.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #1213 on: July 16, 2022, 05:22:02 PM »

a Draghi party would be only to help the right to win
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1214 on: July 17, 2022, 07:35:03 PM »

Bloomberg : "In a joint statement following a meeting in Sardinia, Matteo Salvini and Silvio Berlusconi ruled out the possibility of the two right-center-parties remaining in the governing coalition, which included the Five Star Movement."
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1215 on: July 17, 2022, 07:41:00 PM »

Bloomberg : "In a joint statement following a meeting in Sardinia, Matteo Salvini and Silvio Berlusconi ruled out the possibility of the two right-center-parties remaining in the governing coalition, which included the Five Star Movement."

So, it's over. Snap election during October are almost certain.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1216 on: July 19, 2022, 12:33:36 PM »

Draghi met Letta at Palazzo Chigi today before going to the Quirinale. I am not sure what they discussed but the meeting was criticized by the centre-right side of the government - precisely Berlusconi, Salvini and Cesa (UdC) who were together for lunch in the Alban Hills at one of Silvio's villas. Naturally Meloni was elsewhere, and it is clear that she is distrustful of what should be her "allies".

So, it's over. Snap election during October are almost certain.

This is not true (yet). Salvini and Berlusconi rejected the possibility of remaining in government with the M5S, but not of staying in more generally. Of course they would be happy with new elections (especially Salvini), but they are also facing significant internal resistance - for example Veneto governor Luca Zaia unsurprisingly pledged "firm and resolute" support for Draghi.*

*On this note it would be very funny if Zaia and the "institutionalists" finally couped Salvini... but this is still not in the cards for now.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1217 on: July 20, 2022, 12:14:57 PM »

Bloomberg: 

Italy Coalition on Cusp of Collapse as Parties Don’t Back Draghi

"The center-right League party indicated on Wednesday that it will join Silvio Berlusconi’s Forza Italia in skipping a confidence vote over Prime Minister Mario Draghi’s government, raising the prospect the government will collapse and of snap elections as soon as the fall."
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1218 on: July 20, 2022, 12:37:02 PM »

Yep, it's over.

No one wants to be responsible for the fall of the government, but everyone (except PD, IV etc.) has basically made it clear they're not available to continue on. Including Draghi, who imposed very harsh conditions on M5S and also Lega to come back to the fold. Honestly good on him, I respect him saying "this is my agenda, take it or leave it" rather than desperately trying to woo everyone off. I still think this is a terrible time to have a caretaker government, but oh well. Democracy is messy and I'm glad we're still one.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1219 on: July 20, 2022, 03:51:31 PM »

The Senate confirmed its confidence to Draghi, but FI and Lega skipped the vote and M5S abstained, so the result was pretty pathetic. Draghi is expected to resign tomorrow after the confidence vote in the Chamber.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1220 on: July 20, 2022, 03:54:10 PM »

The Senate confirmed its confidence to Draghi, but FI and Lega skipped the vote and M5S abstained, so the result was pretty pathetic. Draghi is expected to resign tomorrow after the confidence vote in the Chamber.

And Mattarella will most likely call for new elections to be held on October 2.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1221 on: July 21, 2022, 05:11:24 AM »

Draghi resignation accepted
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1222 on: July 21, 2022, 05:12:58 AM »

The right wing parties got what they wanted: an early election but with 5 Star taking the blame for the fall of the current government
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1223 on: July 21, 2022, 06:15:11 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2022, 06:28:01 AM by Mike88 »

The Italian government colapses on the same day the ECB plans to increase interest rates by more than expected. Plus, 10 year bonds for southern european countries are already surging: Italy at 3.63%, Greece at 3.61%, Spain at 2.52% and Portugal at 2.46%.

This is going to be very complicated, because polls don't predict a stable or clear outcome at all.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1224 on: July 21, 2022, 07:06:26 AM »

The ECB is in a very difficult situation.  Raise rates to stop price surge means the Italian bond market might be in real big trouble since the Italian bond spreads already surged on political turmoil.  ECB has a "tool" to contain the Italian bond spreads from rising too much but it is just de facto QE which defeats the point of rate increases.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies