What is this?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:20:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What is this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 1812 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2018, 10:16:50 AM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-cites-as-a-negotiating-tool-his-policy-of-separating-immigrant-children-from-their-parents/ar-AAyI1lK?li=BBnbcA1

Trump says he is committing atrocities as part of political negotiations. What do you call that?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 10:18:18 AM »

Using kids as bargaining chips?

I think that's called "David Koresh"
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »

Using kids as bargaining chips?

I think that's called "David Koresh"

This is not the first time Trump has done this, and I doubt it will be the last.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 07:02:54 PM »

It's called taking children hostage, to try and get his idiotic wall.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »

What do you call violence that is designed to forward a political agenda?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 09:24:18 PM »

So just exactly what do we do to deter foreigners from attempting to enter our country illegally?

Just exactly what do we do to deter foreigners from staying past the point where their visas expire and they have to leave the US?

I don't agree with separating children from parents if the illegal entry is not a crime.  But it IS a crime for a previously deported alien to illegally enter the US after being deported and removed.  The drug addict who commits a grand theft stealing your identity and your money from the skimmer they installed in their workplace at the fast food restaurant you pick up your Double Greaser with Fries and Diet Coke every day will be separated from his/her children when they go to jail. 

No, Trump should not continue this policy.  But the red avatars that would perform partial birth abortion on an 8 month fetus (or be OK with someone who did) don't move me with their version of "the children" argument.  They don't care about kids; they care about discrediting Trump.

So while I say, "Stop this policy immediately!", I am going to ask what needs to be done to resolve the problem of preventing and deterring illegal immigration and what needs to be done to remove illegal immigrants residing here from our country?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 09:33:33 PM »

This man is a sociopath who does not belong anywhere near the presidency. It sickens me that this is the reality we are dealing with.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 09:49:35 PM »

No, Trump should not continue this policy.  But the red avatars that would perform partial birth abortion on an 8 month fetus (or be OK with someone who did) don't move me with their version of "the children" argument.  They don't care about kids; they care about discrediting Trump.

Just to be clear, there are four doctors in the US who publicly perform third trimester abortions, which comprise like 1% of all abortions performed - and the vast majority of those are done out of medical necessity. In all likelihood, more children have been separated from their families in the past couple of months than there will be fetuses aborted in the third trimester nationally this year (and more probably have been separated in the past few days than the total # of non-medically necessary third trimester abortions that will occur this year).
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 09:56:56 PM »

No, Trump should not continue this policy.  But the red avatars that would perform partial birth abortion on an 8 month fetus (or be OK with someone who did) don't move me with their version of "the children" argument.  They don't care about kids; they care about discrediting Trump.

Just to be clear, there are four doctors in the US who publicly perform third trimester abortions, which comprise like 1% of all abortions performed - and the vast majority of those are done out of medical necessity. In all likelihood, more children have been separated from their families in the past couple of months than there will be fetuses aborted in the third trimester nationally this year (and more probably have been separated in the past few days than the total # of non-medically necessary third trimester abortions that will occur this year).

A fetus in a third trimester abortion is a human being whose life has been taken.  I consider that more reprehensible than Trump's policy (which, again, I do not support here).

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 10:30:46 PM »

A fetus in a third trimester abortion is a human being whose life has been taken.  I consider that more reprehensible than Trump's policy (which, again, I do not support here).

There you go again!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 10:33:33 PM »

A fetus in a third trimester abortion is a human being whose life has been taken.  I consider that more reprehensible than Trump's policy (which, again, I do not support here).

There you go again!
FuzzyBear is right to be unhappy at the prevalence of infanticide in this country. And yes, that does kill more people than Trump's policies.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 11:08:05 PM »

So just exactly what do we do to deter foreigners from attempting to enter our country illegally?

Just exactly what do we do to deter foreigners from staying past the point where their visas expire and they have to leave the US?

I don't agree with separating children from parents if the illegal entry is not a crime.  But it IS a crime for a previously deported alien to illegally enter the US after being deported and removed.  The drug addict who commits a grand theft stealing your identity and your money from the skimmer they installed in their workplace at the fast food restaurant you pick up your Double Greaser with Fries and Diet Coke every day will be separated from his/her children when they go to jail. 

No, Trump should not continue this policy.  But the red avatars that would perform partial birth abortion on an 8 month fetus (or be OK with someone who did) don't move me with their version of "the children" argument.  They don't care about kids; they care about discrediting Trump.

So while I say, "Stop this policy immediately!", I am going to ask what needs to be done to resolve the problem of preventing and deterring illegal immigration and what needs to be done to remove illegal immigrants residing here from our country?

Please read the Bible again. You truly need a refresher course.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 11:09:38 PM »

There you go again!
FuzzyBear is right to be unhappy at the prevalence of infanticide in this country. And yes, that does kill more people than Trump's policies.

neither fuzzy bear nor you I have the right to not merely deflect but utterly ignore the issue of children being separated from their families specifically as a political bargaining tool, but then clutch your Bible and say but Jesus says
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 11:21:14 PM »

... neither fuzzy bear nor you have the right to not merely deflect but utterly ignore the issue of children being separated from their families specifically as a political bargaining tool, but then clutch your Bible and say but Jesus says

Badger is correct.
The thread is about "the issue of children being separated from their families specifically as a political bargaining tool."
All this other WhatAboutisms (comparison to abortion, etc) is a distraction.
If this is truly what trump is doing, you need to concentrate your thoughts and responses/posts on how grossly evil and un-human it would be for someone to do this.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 11:49:51 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimes_against_humanity
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Or, to go to an older source
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Trump (or any other US official) is not currently in any legal position to be held accountable for these kind of actions. But that doesn't change what they are.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 11:58:24 PM »

There you go again!

Yeah. Mixing whataboutism with some good ol' religious fundamentalism, how refreshing!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 12:47:58 AM »

Please read the Bible again. You truly need a refresher course.
You’re a lawyer.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 12:48:53 AM »

There you go again!

neither fuzzy bear nor you I have the right to not merely deflect but utterly ignore the issue of children being separated from their families specifically as a political bargaining tool, but then clutch your Bible and say but Jesus says
Well, I find Trump's immigration policies to be horrid and this "Tent city" plan to be pretty terrible. But feel free to read my post as saying things on matters that it doesn't address all you want!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 12:50:22 AM »

The modern-day pharisees in action in the Republican party and all over this thread.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 12:59:20 AM »

I feel like we shouldn't be giving temporary visas in general.

However, I am also in favor of more lax legal immigration... I just don't think it's smart to give people temporary visas. Are we really going to expect them to move out? I would rather keep valuable people in the country (I would assume they have to be somewhat valuable if they're getting visas) than make them leave after a few months.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 01:09:28 AM »

However, I am also in favor of more lax legal immigration... I just don't think it's smart to give people temporary visas. Are we really going to expect them to move out? I would rather keep valuable people in the country (I would assume they have to be somewhat valuable if they're getting visas) than make them leave after a few months.
How do diversity visas play into this?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 02:50:56 AM »

The modern-day pharisees in action in the Republican party and all over this thread.
The Pharisees are the money changers who want to flood this country with cheap exploitated labor to better their bottom line.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 07:53:36 AM »

The Pharisees are the money changers who want to flood this country with cheap exploitated labor to better their bottom line.
And I guess those who think there should be no affordable goods so that the few are subsidized by the many!

That's Trumpism in a nutshell. If you voted for me, I will give you free stuff. If you didn't, I'll raise your taxes!
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2018, 07:55:07 AM »

I don't understand how you protectionist pro-labor people think your policies aren't going to cause corporations to flee the USA. Do you really think they'll just stay here When the government is making it more expensive to do business?

Pro-labor protectionist are attempting to create "Atlas Shrugged" is all I can say.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 09:24:56 AM »

How do you define “temporary,” though? That’s the crux of the question, and one to which I do not have a good answer myself.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies