NY-14: Goliath falls to OCASIO!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:43:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-14: Goliath falls to OCASIO!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29
Author Topic: NY-14: Goliath falls to OCASIO!  (Read 50302 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 26, 2018, 11:45:48 PM »

ICE should not be abolished just curtailed, a true shame what is happening to this party.

This is a Moderate Hero-free night.

Look I get it. I'm a moderate, and I am on the more establishment and moderate to right wing side of the democratic party. I understand that there is a tug of war between my side and Sandernistas. And I am not stupid enough to ignore the fact that your side will win when it is all said and done, it is just a matter of time. The thing is though is that you all will control the party, there will be more of you than us, and your candidates will have party positions. What still remains though is that there will still be substantial amounts of us, numbers substantial enough that if you guys don't have us in your folds, you can control the party but not the country all the h$ll you want, in the minority. Sure, you have independents and more moderate democrats in your corner during the Trump era in GE's, but what about the future? What happens when Trump leaves office and the GOP goes back to normal, but we stay radical? We will lose the independents and moderates. I may be a moderate and a conservative democrat, but I am also kind of hacky, so you don't have to worry about losing my vote in the future, as this is where I will be for my entire life (barring a complete realignment), and I will still cast my ballot for the Jealouses and Cortes's over the GOP every time (barring pedos or other stuff), but there are plenty of independents, moderates, and conservative to middle of the road democrats who you will lose...
DevinM626
Rookie

« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2018, 11:46:28 PM »

The DCCC has been pretty awful, wasting tons of money on Ossoff while losing interest when a progressive gets the nomination. And he has a more conservative voting record than Crowley.

Case-in-point; Lujan's not an HR 676 (Medicare For All) co-sponsor, whereas Crowley was.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2018, 11:49:15 PM »

As if she wasn't extraordinary enough in every aspect imaginable, apparently she's the first Congressperson-elect to have an asteroid (23238 Ocasio-Cortez) named in her honor.

*Barf take*
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2018, 11:49:20 PM »

ICE should not be abolished just curtailed, a true shame what is happening to this party.

This is a Moderate Hero-free night.

Look I get it. I'm a moderate, and I am on the more establishment and moderate to right wing side of the democratic party. I understand that there is a tug of war between my side and Sandernistas. And I am not stupid enough to ignore the fact that your side will win when it is all said and done, it is just a matter of time. The thing is though is that you all will control the party, there will be more of you than us, and your candidates will have party positions. What still remains though is that there will still be substantial amounts of us, numbers substantial enough that if you guys don't have us in your folds, you can control the party but not the country all the h$ll you want, in the minority. Sure, you have independents and more moderate democrats in your corner during the Trump era in GE's, but what about the future? What happens when Trump leaves office and the GOP goes back to normal, but we stay radical? We will lose the independents and moderates. I may be a moderate and a conservative democrat, but I am also kind of hacky, so you don't have to worry about losing my vote in the future, as this is where I will be for my entire life (barring a complete realignment), and I will still cast my ballot for the Jealouses and Cortes's over the GOP every time (barring pedos or other stuff), but there are plenty of independents, moderates, and conservative to middle of the road democrats who you will lose...

Yea eventually (and this is decades in advance... my guess is this happens sometimes in the 2040s) the new for lack of a better term Bernie coalition will fall apart and the parties will realign in favor of the GOP again. That's how our political cycles work Tongue 
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2018, 11:58:15 PM »

Everyone else is crushing their machine politicians and illinois has to wallow like sad keanu.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2018, 11:58:29 PM »

As if she wasn't extraordinary enough in every aspect imaginable, apparently she's the first Congressperson-elect to have an asteroid (23238 Ocasio-Cortez) named in her honor.

*Barf take*

Gonna be crazy when that asteroid crashes on Joe Manchin's coal mine.

Lol, ok this actually made me laugh man Smiley.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #256 on: June 27, 2018, 12:00:26 AM »

An inevitable shame.
seb_pard
« Reply #257 on: June 27, 2018, 12:04:46 AM »

Beautiful!
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #258 on: June 27, 2018, 12:11:50 AM »

Yes, because young latino people really are the champions of the WWC vote...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #259 on: June 27, 2018, 12:13:06 AM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #260 on: June 27, 2018, 12:13:44 AM »

Though she's a little too far to the left for my tastes, I see no problem with Ocasio's victory. Crowley, by all accounts, was an establishment hack, and he ran a poor campaign. Plus, this is New York, which is notorious for its corrupt machine politics. So for the Democratic Party, this was probably a good thing.

This. She deserved this win, and Crowley definitely deserved this loss.
Rhenna
Gabor
United States

« Reply #261 on: June 27, 2018, 12:32:27 AM »

Justice dems are walking into the bar thinking that they are the hot cr@p. Let's show them up tonight just like we have been doing.
This aged well.

Yeah, I will admit, it aged pretty badly, h$ll, almost as badly as Jan Brewer.
At least you admitted it. And I'm not happy with that shade at America's Governor.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #262 on: June 27, 2018, 12:36:19 AM »

It isn't like this was a WWC district lol. She's certainly a much better fit for the district than Crowley was.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2018, 12:40:17 AM »

Shut up.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #264 on: June 27, 2018, 12:45:17 AM »

Your racism is showing.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #265 on: June 27, 2018, 01:16:35 AM »

The idiotic right-wing blonde STRIKES

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #266 on: June 27, 2018, 02:09:27 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2018, 02:29:16 AM by OneJ »

Did anyone on here realize that Clarke almost lost NY-9? Lol. I read on Twitter that she, as expected, did well in the heavily black/Caribbean precincts, did okay in Russian & mixed districts, and poorly in gentrifying & wealthy precincts.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #267 on: June 27, 2018, 02:17:23 AM »

Great! Can't have the Dems employing the Blairite/Bloomberg strategy because I want a remotely acceptable GOP Tongue
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #268 on: June 27, 2018, 02:45:32 AM »

About time that a member of the old guard was kicked out, but it probably won't be enough to "send a message" to the party elders.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #269 on: June 27, 2018, 02:50:55 AM »

About time that a member of the old guard was kicked out, but it probably won't be enough to "send a message" to the party elders.

Having all of the old guard kicked out might send a message to them, but I'm not sure about that.

Anyways, what's amazing is that she will be the only woman in their 20s to ever be in Congress.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2018, 02:51:33 AM »

Did anyone on here realize that Clarke almost lost NY-9? Lol. I read on Twitter that she, as expected, did well in the heavily black/Caribbean precincts, did okay in Russian & mixed districts, and poorly in gentrifying & wealthy precincts.

Yeah, Clarke held strong support with her black base, but the white folk moving into Brooklyn had high turnout and supported Bunkedekko by large margin. Black turnout will probably be higher in the 2020 primaries, especially if Kamala Harris is competitive by then, so I think Clarke will be in a safe position in 2020, especially if a bunch of other candidates jump into the race.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #271 on: June 27, 2018, 03:41:44 AM »

Some people were doing a documentary about her and her campaign, and they took this photo of her at 6pm, frantically talking to her family on the phone, worried about her (seemingly) inevitable loss.

Then her reaction to winning

wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #272 on: June 27, 2018, 03:46:14 AM »

Some people were doing a documentary about her and her campaign, and they took this photo of her at 6pm, frantically talking to her family on the phone, worried about her (seemingly) inevitable loss.

Then her reaction to winning

Omg I can't handle it she's so awesome ahhhhh

Guess I'm fangirling over congressional candidates now, but what else is new?
SCNCmod

« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2018, 04:18:51 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2018, 04:57:29 AM by SCNCmod »

I hope people do not draw too many wider conclusions from this race- not only is this one of the most diverse districts in the US, there was low turnout & won by a Sanders campaign member in an area with much natural support from other Sanders campaign worker/ volunteers.

Its good in many ways that Ocasio-Cortez won, as she probably is a very good representative for that district... But she would almost certainly lose easily in most other districts in the US.  ...this is just to say that campaigning on a message to get rid of ICE is probably not the message that will take back the house/ senate in November... or win the white house in 2020.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #274 on: June 27, 2018, 04:51:50 AM »

Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29  
« previous next »