Charles Krauthammer reveals he has only weeks to live.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 07:14:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Charles Krauthammer reveals he has only weeks to live.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Charles Krauthammer reveals he has only weeks to live.  (Read 8444 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/08/fox-news-star-charles-krauthammer-reveals-has-weeks-to-live-in-heartbreaking-letter.amp.html

Very sad news. I really admired him despite often disagreeing.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:19:00 AM »

Very sad. I pray that whatever time he has left is peaceful and pain free.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:19:46 AM »

That makes me really sad :/
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 11:33:55 AM »

Terrible news. In many ways, he had a rather unique niche in the world of policy commentators, and was always a gentleman who cut to the core of an issue with an economy of words. I did not always agree with him, but always respected and admired him.

Charles is handling this situation like he handled other issues, including his own paralysis so many decades ago now - with class and dignity.

I will miss you Charles. Cry
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »

Very sad. I pray that whatever time he has left is peaceful and pain free.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 12:29:56 PM »

This is heartbreaking. He's a great man. One of the best political commentators ever.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »

Disagree with him but wish him the best. This is very unfortunate.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »

Aw, man. Truly a great guy. I’ll be thinking of him. Sad
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 12:43:44 PM »

Sad oof
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »

His punditry was pretty bad, and his hot takes were almost always wrong, yet somehow I'll miss them. RIP.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 01:05:36 PM »

Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 01:10:21 PM »

Jesus Christ.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 03:00:14 PM »

Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 04:57:03 PM »

Terrible news. In many ways, he had a rather unique niche in the world of policy commentators, and was always a gentleman who cut to the core of an issue with an economy of words. I did not always agree with him, but always respected and admired him.

Charles is handling this situation like he handled other issues, including his own paralysis so many decades ago now - with class and dignity.

I will miss you Charles. Cry
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 05:07:14 PM »

I'll regard his passing the same as he did the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi deaths he lustfully extolled.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 05:14:26 PM »

I'll regard his passing the same as he did the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi deaths he lustfully extolled.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 05:53:43 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2018, 05:59:47 PM by Calthrina950 »

What is your problem? It seems like you cannot even give due consideration to the death or misfortune of someone without digging up the "bad things" about them. I recall how you did the exact same thing to Barbara Bush when news of her death was posted here.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 06:14:45 PM »

He was, perhaps, the most intellectually honest pundit I can think of.

His shift from liberal to conservative was very much a recognition of liberalism, itself, changing, and not for the better.  In that sense, he's much like me; a person who's seen things from both sides of the partisan divide.  I am saddened very much by this news, and he's one of the few pundits out there on either side of the spectrum that will leave a void.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »

This is sad. Being in my 20s I can't imagine what it's like knowing how close your passing is. He is around the age of my father. I wish him peace in his final days.

What is your problem? It seems like you cannot even give due consideration to the death or misfortune of someone without digging up the "bad things" about them. I recall how you did the exact same thing to Barbara Bush when news of her death was posted here.

It's become a tenet of the far left that if you ever acknowledge the pain of or extend condolences to anyone you disagree with then you are suddenly a bad liberal, so we're going to see edgelord posts highlighting people's shortcomings in about 80% of threads about people dying from now on.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 06:48:12 PM »

Hooray!  The world will be a slightly better place with him no longer in it. He was a hyper partisan vicious sleazebag who masqueraded as an intellectual.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2018, 06:53:46 PM by 136or142 »

Leaving Barbara Bush out of this, why shouldn't the truth about a person be allowed to come out when they die/are about to die.  I personally can't stand these 'weren't they a wonderful person?' B.S eulogies.

Nothing that is said by industrialjustice about Krauthammer here isn't true.  He was evil and I don't see any reason why that shouldn't be said just because he's about to die.

These B.S eulogies can have a real world impact as George Mason University was clearly inspired by them to name their prestigious law school after the vile Antonin Scalia.

So, 'weren't they wonderful?' eulogies are clearly part of the partisan games and there is no way the evil Krauthammer should be allowed to be made out as some wonderful person.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 06:58:50 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2018, 02:25:16 AM by Calthrina950 »

Leaving Barbara Bush out of this, why shouldn't the truth about a person be allowed to come out when they die/are about to die.  I personally can't stand these 'weren't they a wonderful person?' B.S eulogies.

Nothing that is said by industrialjustice about Krauthammer here isn't true.  He was evil and I don't see any reason why that shouldn't be said just because he's about to die.

These B.S eulogies can have a real world impact as George Mason University was clearly inspired by them to name their prestigious law school after the vile Antonin Scalia.

So, 'weren't they wonderful?' eulogies are clearly part of the partisan games and there is no way the evil Krauthammer should be allowed to be made out as some wonderful person.

But nothing that Krauthammer or Antonin Scalia did could be compared to the acts of truly horrendous people such as Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Bin-Laden, and other such figures of history. Those are the kinds of people for whom the harsh words should be reserved, for they were directly responsible for the deaths of innocent beings and actively sought to harm others. While I don't think any person should receive "automatic" praise, I also don't think that someone should be ripped into just because they are part of the civil debate within our society, and take a position that is contrary to yours. As I asked in the previous thread about Barbara Bush, what would you say if a loved one of yours died and someone immediately jumped to ripping into them, rather than giving condolences?
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 07:06:49 PM »

This is sad. Being in my 20s I can't imagine what it's like knowing how close your passing is. He is around the age of my father. I wish him peace in his final days.

It's become a tenet of the far left that if you ever acknowledge the pain of or extend condolences to anyone you disagree with then you are suddenly a bad liberal, so we're going to see edgelord posts highlighting people's shortcomings in about 80% of threads about people dying from now on.

“shortcomings”
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 07:07:23 PM »

But nothing that Krauthammer or Antonin Scalia could be compared to the acts of truly horrendous people such as Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Bin-Laden, and other such figures of history. Those are the kinds of people for whom the harsh words should be reserved, for they were directly responsible for the deaths of innocent beings and actively sought to harm others. While I don't think any person should receive "automatic" praise, I also don't think that someone should be ripped into just because they are part of the civil debate within our society, and take a position that is contrary to yours. As I asked in the previous thread about Barbara Bush, what would you say if a loved one of yours died and someone immediately jumped to ripping into them, rather than giving condolences?

That Krauthammer's arguments were considered acceptable in civil society IS the problem.  Many of his positions couldn't exactly be considered lies because they were pure opinions but is "Obama is an extreme narcissist' a credible statement?  

I don't have anything negative to say about Barbara Bush, however, if a person is a public figure like Krauthammer, then I think dealing with people ripping into them at any time is part of the price of that for the family.

If people don't want to hear others being ripped into at the time of their deaths, I say let's have it both ways.  Cut out the B.S public eulogies and I think others (like me) will refrain from pointing out the truth about them.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »

But nothing that Krauthammer or Antonin Scalia could be compared to the acts of truly horrendous people such as Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Bin-Laden, and other such figures of history. Those are the kinds of people for whom the harsh words should be reserved, for they were directly responsible for the deaths of innocent beings and actively sought to harm others. While I don't think any person should receive "automatic" praise, I also don't think that someone should be ripped into just because they are part of the civil debate within our society, and take a position that is contrary to yours. As I asked in the previous thread about Barbara Bush, what would you say if a loved one of yours died and someone immediately jumped to ripping into them, rather than giving condolences?

That Krauthammer's arguments were considered acceptable in civil society IS the problem.  Many of his positions couldn't exactly be considered lies because they were pure opinions but is "Obama a narcissist' a credible statement?  

I don't have anything negative to say about Barbara Bush, however, if a person is a public figure like Krauthammer , then I think dealing with people ripping into them at any time is part of the price of that.

If people don't want to hear others being ripped into at the time of their deaths, I say let's have it both ways.  Cut out the B.S public eulogies and I think others (like me) will refrain from pointing out the truth about them.

So are you saying that we should leave sentimentalism or emotional language out of the eulogies? I wouldn't have a problem with that, if that is what it takes to prevent things from going overboard. I do agree with you that a public figure is subject to scrutiny, and that everything which they say or do can be evaluated in the court of public opinion. But at the same time, I don't think we should go so far as to compare someone like Krauthammer to the truly vicious people of history. In my opinion, someone who writes an article asserting Obama is a narcissist is nowhere near on the same plane as some racist who would call Obama a Muslim or subhuman, nor is a generic lawmaker the same as an SS agent or terrorist.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies