Charles Krauthammer reveals he has only weeks to live.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:11:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Charles Krauthammer reveals he has only weeks to live.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Charles Krauthammer reveals he has only weeks to live.  (Read 8412 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2018, 04:59:00 AM »

Still waiting on Adam's biblical exegesis about why Jesus wants us to cheer for cancer Roll Eyes

Nothing to do with cancer specifically, everything dies, that's a fact.

Nice non-answer.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2018, 05:04:17 AM »

Still waiting on Adam's biblical exegesis about why Jesus wants us to cheer for cancer Roll Eyes

Nice non-answer.

Of course it's an answer. Why should the way he dies make any difference?

If you are just asking over again 'how can you be happy he's dying?' I've answered it many times.  I gather you don't like my answer but obviously that's your problem, not mine.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2018, 05:11:36 AM »

Nice non-answer.

If you are just asking over again 'how can you be happy he's dying?' I've answered it many times.  I gather you don't like my answer but obviously that's your problem, not mine.

Given your claim to be religious, I'm merely asking why you think Jesus wants you to cheer for the death of another. You keep listing off bad things Krauthammer did as if Christ didn't command us to love our enemies. So yes, that absolutely is a non answer.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2018, 05:18:26 AM »

Nice non-answer.

If you are just asking over again 'how can you be happy he's dying?' I've answered it many times.  I gather you don't like my answer but obviously that's your problem, not mine.

Given your claim to be religious, I'm merely asking why you think Jesus wants you to cheer for the death of another. You keep listing off bad things Krauthammer did as if Christ didn't command us to love our enemies. So yes, that absolutely is a non answer.

One other thing I'm tired of.  I'm tired of this being a one way street. Nobody answers the questions here I ask in return.

I realize I wrote above 'hard cases make bad law' but you're so certain of the righteousness of your position.  This is a House M.D episode called The Tyrant.

How about you watch this episode and tell me what the right choice is here.

(I am not comparing Krauthammer to 'The Tyrant' just that this is a great example of how 'only God can decide' often doesn't comport with reality.)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ho8p1

It's only 32 minutes long (I gather some of it was cut) but I'm sure it's complete enough.

How about this, you answer my question and I'll answer your question.  I'm really tired of being preached to by people who make assertions based on abstractions.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2018, 05:32:40 AM »

I literally answered questions from you yesterday. I'm not watching a 30 minute video to get an answer from you about why grave dancing is so great.

Krauthammer had no insider knowledge about Iraq. He believed the evidence he was presented along with the vast majority of Americans, including two of the last three Democratic nominees for President.

"I'm glad he's dying of cancer because he believed the evidence the President presented and argued for it in his columns" is not a better look for you.

This is nonsense. Bush lied. Republicans lied. Democrats lied. Everybody lied.

The only reason we went to Iraq was because both political parties....in their genius infinite wisdom....tough that the Iraq War would be short and quick. Of course...literally every expert in mid-east history said this wasn't true....the Bush administration and the cowardly Democrats in Congress just straight up ignored it. Everyone who voted for the Iraq War knew it was all lies but hey...it wasnt their kids going over there.

"Everyone knew it was a lie, including Democrats and pundits with no national security clearance" is probably the most magnificent bit of historical revisionism I've heard in a long time, so kudos.

How old are you?  If anybody has fallen for historical revisionism it's clearly you.

I'm 47 so I was 32 at the time of this sordid situation so I remember it quite well.

You're 47 and you post like this? I thought I was scolding an edgy sophomore. Rethink your life man. You're 47 and applauding a horrible death. I hope your enemies aren't as vicious about you when you lay dying one day.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2018, 05:42:52 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2018, 05:55:10 AM by 136or142 »

I literally answered questions from you yesterday. I'm not watching a 30 minute video to get an answer from you about why grave dancing is so great.

Krauthammer had no insider knowledge about Iraq. He believed the evidence he was presented along with the vast majority of Americans, including two of the last three Democratic nominees for President.

"I'm glad he's dying of cancer because he believed the evidence the President presented and argued for it in his columns" is not a better look for you.

This is nonsense. Bush lied. Republicans lied. Democrats lied. Everybody lied.

The only reason we went to Iraq was because both political parties....in their genius infinite wisdom....tough that the Iraq War would be short and quick. Of course...literally every expert in mid-east history said this wasn't true....the Bush administration and the cowardly Democrats in Congress just straight up ignored it. Everyone who voted for the Iraq War knew it was all lies but hey...it wasnt their kids going over there.

"Everyone knew it was a lie, including Democrats and pundits with no national security clearance" is probably the most magnificent bit of historical revisionism I've heard in a long time, so kudos.

How old are you?  If anybody has fallen for historical revisionism it's clearly you.

I'm 47 so I was 32 at the time of this sordid situation so I remember it quite well.

You're 47 and you post like this? I thought I was scolding an edgy sophomore. Rethink your life man. You're 47 and applauding a horrible death. I hope your enemies aren't as vicious about you when you lay dying one day.

Oh, can your superiority complex. If you're so perfect how do you justify voting Conservative and for Stephen Harper who violated the 8th commandment virtually every day he was in office and who was forced into showing compassion for refugees. and who showed no compassion to drug addicts The Conservative Party actually put out fundraisers against Safe Consumption sites.

if that's not effectively, hooray, drug addicts are going to die! I don't know what is. And that's who those fundraisers were written for, and I can assure you that many people with those attitudes also say they are Christians are some of them are almost certainly friends or relations of yours.  I can also assure you that people with those attitudes are of all ages. I think it's pretty obvious you don't engage in detailed political discussions with your friends and relations. Whether that's because you're afraid of the answers you'll receive or not, I don't know. Well, I suppose some of them could lie to you because they don't want to be lectured to.

If you want to claim that I can't be religious or a Christian because I admit to not being perfect, then be perfect yourself.  

You seem to think your belief in God makes you better than me.  I've seen no actual evidence of any real decency from you.  Abstract comments aren't real evidence of decency.

If you want to continue this discussion then I want you to start answering my questions.  Otherwise, leave me alone. You've made your point to me many times, and as far as I'm concerned, this is no longer a one way street.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2018, 06:07:31 AM »

This off topic discussion about just how Christian it is to revel in someone's death has been about as productive as one might expect, and of course, didn't change anyone's mind. If someone wants to start a discussion about this issue in the abstract on the religion board, give it a try. But I am requesting that it be ended here. And of course, hurling out personal insults is never acceptable, and I am disappointed that matters degenerated to that point.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2018, 06:20:19 AM »

It wasn’t difficult at all to see what was happening if you had even a rudimentary understanding of America’s history in foreign policy. I would normally be surprised that a Harvard Medical School graduate couldn’t put two and two together, but then again, the massacres in Iraq were exactly what he wanted. That’s the point.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2018, 07:14:38 AM »

It wasn’t difficult at all to see what was happening if you had even a rudimentary understanding of America’s history in foreign policy. I would normally be surprised that a Harvard Medical School graduate couldn’t put two and two together, but then again, the massacres in Iraq were exactly what he wanted. That’s the point.

I'm not an expert in the Iraq War but this seems to leave out a bit of crucial information, namely Saddam's appalling human rights record and the cultural climate right after 9/11. Perhaps he should have seen through it, but I'm inclined to be charitable and give him the benefit of the doubt.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2018, 07:38:30 AM by 136or142 »

I'm not an expert in the Iraq War but this seems to leave out a bit of crucial information, namely Saddam's appalling human rights record and the cultural climate right after 9/11. Perhaps he should have seen through it, but I'm inclined to be charitable and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Krauthammer was part of creating the cultural climate, he was not a victim of it.

Saddam Hussein's human rights record was of no concern to the United States.  And, if you believe that it indicated that his lack of concern for humanity was somehow evidence that he might do something to the United States, there were something like over 50 nations that the United States would have had to have invaded. That was part of the debate at the time.

Only a false belief that Saddam Hussein had assisted in September 11 and that he was in league with Al-Qaeda to further attack the United States could lead anybody to conclude that Saddam's brutal mistreatment had anything to do with the United States.  But, then we get back to my first point:  Krauthammer was a part of that false propaganda campaign, he was not a victim of it.

Does this sound to you like a victim of propaganda or a perpetrator of it:

So, to provide full context since you mentioned your not an expert in the Iraq War, and I don't know what you remember about September 11, the hijackers were mostly from Saudi Arabia, and there is possibly evidence that the Saudi government was actually in league with Al-Qaeda. So, while Krauthammer's comments do sound on the surface to be blood-thirsty here, they do make some sense.  Of course, since Saudi Arabia is nominally an ally of the United States, Krauthammer would have done better to have used his contacts with the Bush Administration to demand changes in Saudi Arabia without pushing for yet another war.

Ironically enough, the reason there is only 'possibly' evidence of Saudi involvement is because the Bush Administration classified this part of the report on the Congressional Investigation into the attacks. Of course President Obama was not much better here, as he only released late in his term a one page list of names mentioned in that part of the report.

Obviously this defending of Saudi Arabia has nothing to do with Krauthammer, but it certainly shows that the Bush Administration invasion of Iraq had nothing whatsoever to do with September 11.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2018, 07:53:14 AM »

Krauthammer would be so honored to know we're marking this news with pointless arguments about abortion and the Iraq fiasco in the same thread. No better tribute.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2018, 07:35:55 PM »

I don't believe we should have gone into the Iraq War. I had the same view at the time, but it wasn't completely self-evident. I went through the pros and cons in my mind; it wasn't like our policies in Iraq for the decade prior had been without harm to the Iraqi people, nor was having a tyrant in charge of their country. Would going to war make life better for Iraq and make the region more secure?  I didn't think the very real risk of making things much worse was worth it, but coming to the opposite conclusion was not unfathomable to me.    So perhaps you can see why the idea that coming to a different prudential judgement means someone is of necessity a "sleazy propogandist" who deserves to die makes very little sense to me.

Such a tough decision for you to make from your couch. Everybody knew Iraq was a pack of lies...dont be so self-congratulatory. There's a reason so many younger users here dont understand why so many older Millennials have a hard time trusting or caring for the Democratic Party in this country and gravitate toward the Bernie wing even when voting straight Democrat seems to be the ''obvious choice.''

We already know how full of gobsh**te the Democratic party is....they shamelessly lied about the Iraq War...people like Biden had no problem going on TV and lying their ass off about a war that sent a million Iraqis to their death (lets be honest here....no American cares about the million Muslims dead of the Iraq War...only the dead Americans they pretend to care about on Veterans Day)

America lies all the time about everything. Never trust the government either under Trump or the hack that comes after or before Trump.

I'm not being self-congratulatory you self-assured cynic.  I'm not sure why you bothered quoting as much of my post as you did if you were only going to read the first line of that paragraph and badly misrepresent even that.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2018, 07:37:58 PM »

Al, you had answered a few of my questions earlier.  I forgot you had done so. I apologize for my mistake.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »

Al, you had answered a few of my questions earlier.  I forgot you had done so. I apologize for my mistake.

Apology accepted.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies