Ontario general election 2018 - Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 05:58:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario general election 2018 - Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25
Author Topic: Ontario general election 2018 - Results Thread  (Read 57436 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2018, 12:17:33 AM »

In the spirit of Glenn Thibault, who will the Ontario Liberals bribe to cross the floor to get themselves back to official party status?  Smiley
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2018, 12:20:30 AM »

Spent the night watching results at a bar. I think I pissed off some Liberals when I was loudly cheering when Harden won.

Anyways, I only got 11 seats wrong. Mainstreet only got 10 seats wrong. A great night for us pollsters!

Wait, does this mean mainstreet is accepted as a logical Canadian pollster again?! Surprise

Once again Forum proves that is has the most accurate polls.  :/
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2018, 12:28:44 AM »

With 51/52 of the polls reporting: With 49.77% the NDP will win Kiiwetinoong
Krago
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2018, 12:31:59 AM »

If the NDP wins Kiiwetinoong, they will end up with 40 members in their caucus:

- 8 incumbent white females
- 8 incumbent white males
- 7 new white females
- 7 new white males
- 5 new non-white females
- 5 new non-white males
Krago
« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2018, 12:39:23 AM »

The Cube Rule of British politics states that the ratio of the seats won by each party is equal to the ratio of the cubes of their popular vote.  So if a party gets twice the votes of another party, they should win eight times as many seats.

Applying the Cube Rule to the Ontario election would give these results:

PC 74, NDP 42, Lib 8

The actual numbers are: PC 76, NDP 40, Lib 7, Green 1
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2018, 01:47:06 AM »

Ugh. Ontario Liberals seem confused.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2018, 01:49:25 AM »

Some NDP pickups, 20+ swings:

Toronto Centre  53.7%  +34.2
Ottawa Centre  46.1%  +25.6
St. Paul's  36%  +25.5
University-Rosedale (new riding) 49.7%  +25.4
Spadina-Fort York  49.7%  +23.0
Scarborough Southwest  45.5%  +21.9
Davenport  60.3%  +20.1

Some PC pickups, 20+ swings:

Etobicoke North  52.5%  +30
King-Vaughan (new riding)  56.6%  +24.3
Vaughan-Woodbridge  50.5%  +23.4
Markham-Unionville  62.4%  +21.6

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2018, 02:19:45 AM »

Scarborough SW seems wierd on that list. Why so much of a swing?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2018, 04:28:59 AM »

And this is why despite all the complaints about it, I like the two party system in the US. So frustrating to see RW Govt's take power because of a fractured left wing.

Eh. There's underlying assumptions there that Liberal + NDP are "mere progressives" to borrow a Christian term and that merged party would get 100% of their votes. I don't believe that either assumption is true. The Liberals and NDP are more diverse than their old conservative counterparts and therefore would have trouble holding that coalition together.

I mean, can you really see Scott Brison sitting in a caucus with say Niki Ashton? My guess is if the Liberals and NDP merged right-Liberals would jump to the Tories in sufficient numbers to create a 50/50 two party system like Oz and the USA.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2018, 05:11:12 AM »

Some other thoughts:

1) Lol Vaughan-Woodbridge

2) I'm surprised how well some Liberal incumbents help up outside Toronto.

3) Look at some of the Liberal results in rural southwestern Ontario and compare to 2003/2007. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2018, 06:01:00 AM »

Some other thoughts:

1) Lol Vaughan-Woodbridge

Yeah, a lot of denial about the state of the OLP where their vote bled left and right.  Another one of those ridiculous "look how well they did last time, how can they possibly lose?" predictions (see also Toronto Centre on the left flank).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah Ottawa turned out to be the real area for "safe" Liberals.  Ottawa-Vanier and Ottawa South were the only ridings in the province where they won by wide margins.  I wonder if there's a desire in the Ottawa area to leave Ontario and become an autonomous national capital district.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hard to believe that the OLP were once the party of rural SW Ontario.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2018, 06:14:34 AM »

Toronto Centre  53.7%  +34.2
Ottawa Centre  46.1%  +25.6
St. Paul's  36%  +25.5
University-Rosedale (new riding) 49.7%  +25.4
Spadina-Fort York  49.7%  +23.0
Scarborough Southwest  45.5%  +21.9
Davenport  60.3%  +20.1

Etobicoke North  52.5%  +30
King-Vaughan (new riding)  56.6%  +24.3
Vaughan-Woodbridge  50.5%  +23.4
Markham-Unionville  62.4%  +21.6
Markham-Unionville was one of the few CPC gains in 2015, and it also flipped here. Is there some kind of Conservative trend in the area?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2018, 06:15:46 AM »

Well, the Liberals lost 20 points, with about half going to the Tories and half going to the NDP. Not exactly a 'left wing party'. We saw the same kind of fracturing in 2011.

Liberals hold the same kind of social values as the NDP, but are wary of the NDP's economic policies. Those in the 905 who are more concerned about economics went PC, while those in urban areas who care more about social issues went NDP.

Polling does suggest that the bedrock ~20% of Liberal supporters lean more towards the NDP as their second choice though, so there is room for the NDP to improve if the Liberals spend the next four years running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2018, 06:16:40 AM »

Toronto Centre  53.7%  +34.2
Ottawa Centre  46.1%  +25.6
St. Paul's  36%  +25.5
University-Rosedale (new riding) 49.7%  +25.4
Spadina-Fort York  49.7%  +23.0
Scarborough Southwest  45.5%  +21.9
Davenport  60.3%  +20.1

Etobicoke North  52.5%  +30
King-Vaughan (new riding)  56.6%  +24.3
Vaughan-Woodbridge  50.5%  +23.4
Markham-Unionville  62.4%  +21.6
Markham-Unionville was one of the few CPC gains in 2015, and it also flipped here. Is there some kind of Conservative trend in the area?

Chinese people are trending Tory big time.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2018, 06:20:44 AM »

Did the Sikh vote go NDP following Jagmeet, or were they Fordistas?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2018, 06:42:44 AM »

Did the Sikh vote go NDP following Jagmeet, or were they Fordistas?

Looks like they were divided, but went NDP overall. The NDP won the three heavily Sikh ridings, but not by a large margins.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2018, 06:49:22 AM »

Polling does suggest that the bedrock ~20% of Liberal supporters lean more towards the NDP as their second choice though, so there is room for the NDP to improve if the Liberals spend the next four years running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

And that's a very real risk for the Liberals. People look at Trudeau and Canadian volatility and assume that they'll be back fairly quickly. Trudeau was rather exceptional. There are lots of examples of parties suffering this sort of defeat either fading away or at least spending a long time in the wilderness.

My guess is that they are in for a long time in the wilderness but will eventually get back into power.

International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2018, 06:51:01 AM »

You know, I may not be happy with the final result, but I can at least enjoy the obliteration of the Liberals and their loss of party status. F**k them forever and may they never rise again, although they probably will, as is tradition.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2018, 07:03:54 AM »

Which seats have the largest relative differences between their federal and provincial results? I'm assuming it's Etobicoke North for the Tories. I.e. Ford outpaced the provincial vote by 12% while the federal Tories underperformed their provincial vote by 12% for a total variance of 24%
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2018, 07:11:31 AM »

How many PC 18/LIB 15 ridings are there? How many NDP 18/LIB 15 ridings are there?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2018, 07:14:09 AM »

You know, I may not be happy with the final result, but I can at least enjoy the obliteration of the Liberals and their loss of party status. F**k them forever and may they never rise again, although they probably will, as is tradition.

If the Liberals are gone, you may be more likely to get more NDP governments, but you may also get more PC ones. Be careful what you wish for.
I'd prefer 15 years of center-leftist government than 15 years of right-wing and then solidly-left-wing government alternating!
adma
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2018, 07:20:43 AM »

And this is why despite all the complaints about it, I like the two party system in the US. So frustrating to see RW Govt's take power because of a fractured left wing.

Eh. There's underlying assumptions there that Liberal + NDP are "mere progressives" to borrow a Christian term and that merged party would get 100% of their votes. I don't believe that either assumption is true. The Liberals and NDP are more diverse than their old conservative counterparts and therefore would have trouble holding that coalition together.

I mean, can you really see Scott Brison sitting in a caucus with say Niki Ashton? My guess is if the Liberals and NDP merged right-Liberals would jump to the Tories in sufficient numbers to create a 50/50 two party system like Oz and the USA.

Exactly.  Had Andrea Horwath won, you'd probably have grousing over a "fractured right (or at least centre/right) wing".

Incidentally,  Ann Hoggarth in Barrie-Innisfil had by far the worst incumbent Lib result: 12.52% (a point worse than the non-incumbent running in BSOM next door)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2018, 07:25:07 AM »

Exactly.  Had Andrea Horwath won, you'd probably have grousing over a "fractured right (or at least centre/right) wing".

Incidentally,  Ann Hoggarth in Barrie-Innisfil had by far the worst incumbent Lib result: 12.52% (a point worse than the non-incumbent running in BSOM next door)
Wasn't she the Liberal who won by the narrowest margin in 2014?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2018, 07:31:55 AM »

And that's a very real risk for the Liberals. People look at Trudeau and Canadian volatility and assume that they'll be back fairly quickly. Trudeau was rather exceptional. There are lots of examples of parties suffering this sort of defeat either fading away or at least spending a long time in the wilderness.

My guess is that they are in for a long time in the wilderness but will eventually get back into power.

Well, a combination of Trudeau and also Jack Layton dying.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2018, 07:33:43 AM »

Wasn't she the Liberal who won by the narrowest margin in 2014?

I think so. But due to redistricting, she had no hope in hell of winning.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies