Fiat may announce end of Chrysler on Friday (Update: Chrysler safe for now)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:50:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fiat may announce end of Chrysler on Friday (Update: Chrysler safe for now)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Fiat may announce end of Chrysler on Friday (Update: Chrysler safe for now)  (Read 1642 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2018, 04:19:33 PM »
« edited: June 01, 2018, 06:54:54 PM by Crumpets »

Yes, I am very tired of winning. Fortunately it sounds like Jeep, Dodge, etc. might be spared, and it's just Chrysler-branded-Chryslers that would be cut.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/could-chrysler-be-killed-this-friday/ar-AAy2mSb?ocid=spartanntp

You must be logged in to read this quote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 04:29:42 PM »

... Did I luck out when they didn’t hire me?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »

Surprised it took this long. Chrysler should of died in the 70s
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:30:44 PM »

A de facto ban on private cars is winning. Well on our way.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »

"Chrysler is Dead and Al-Baghdadi is Alive" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 04:47:37 PM »

The Chrysler brand sells 2 models right now, that's it. Both of which are built in Canada. No need to bring political platitudes into this.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 04:56:51 PM »

The Chrysler brand sells 2 models right now, that's it. Both of which are built in Canada. No need to bring political platitudes into this.

I agree in principle, although the death of one of the big three auto makers will carry tremendous symbolic political weight, whether that's fair to Trump or not. To disregard that is to ignore the effectiveness of all of the symbolic issues that Trump used to ride to the presidency (non-existant hoards of immigrants at the border, Islamist infiltration of the government, etc.)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 04:57:09 PM »

... Did I luck out when they didn’t hire me?
Yes
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 05:08:14 PM »

I agree in principle, although the death of one of the big three auto makers will carry tremendous symbolic political weight, whether that's fair to Trump or not. To disregard that is to ignore the effectiveness of all of the symbolic issues that Trump used to ride to the presidency (non-existant hoards of immigrants at the border, Islamist infiltration of the government, etc.)

But it's not the death of one of the big three. FiatChryslerAutomobiles/FCA is doing very well right now. Chrysler the marque and Chrysler the company are entirely separate things.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 05:11:21 PM »

Watching what has happened to Chrysler over the years has been painful, and a merciful euthanasia would likely be best at this point.

I've never been a fan of their cars. They had a cash cow in their minivans in the '80s and '90s and were left with no core competency to fall back on when tastes shifted to crossovers.

It's gotten to the point that if you see someone driving a Chrysler, you can assume (1) it's a rental, or (2) they have terrible credit and couldn't get financing from anyone else.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »

Watching what has happened to Chrysler over the years has been painful, and a merciful euthanasia would likely be best at this point.

I've never been a fan of their cars. They had a cash cow in their minivans in the '80s and '90s and were left with no core competency to fall back on when tastes shifted to crossovers.

It's gotten to the point that if you see someone driving a Chrysler, you can assume (1) it's a rental, or (2) they have terrible credit and couldn't get financing from anyone else.

I think that your misunderstanding the article. Even if Chrysler the marque ends, Dodge, Jeep and Ram will continue like normal. And FCA wouldn't change its name, it'll still be Fiat Chrysler Automobiles with or without the Chrysler brand.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 05:30:35 PM »

This really has nothing to do with who's in office. The brand has been declining for years, and Fiat-Chrysler knows exactly what it's doing. It's still a Big 3 company. Hell, it seems to be doing better than Ford right now.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 05:38:20 PM »

I think that your misunderstanding the article. Even if Chrysler the marque ends, Dodge, Jeep and Ram will continue like normal. And FCA wouldn't change its name, it'll still be Fiat Chrysler Automobiles with or without the Chrysler brand.

I know that. I am talking about Chrysler the car brand.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »

I assumed because you mentioned Minivans which both Chrysler and Dodger both still sell.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 05:50:45 PM »

I assumed because you mentioned Minivans which both Chrysler and Dodger both still sell.

People have/had other reasons to go to Dodge - the trucks (until the Ram line got spun out as a separate brand) and performance cars. If you weren't going to buy a Chrysler Town & Country minivan, I'm not sure why you would have bought a Chrysler at all. And now nobody wants minivans anymore - if you're driving a Pacifica, it's because Enterprise ran out of everything else.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 05:52:33 PM »

Are you joking me... thanks Obama.  The govt needs to seize Fiat’s US assets in this case and keep the American icon alive.  I said back in 2008 or whatever that this would happen, hate to say it!
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »

they're a private company, they can do whatever they want Cheesy
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 05:59:39 PM »

they're a private company, they can do whatever they want Cheesy

Wrong.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 06:01:33 PM »

People have/had other reasons to go to Dodge - the trucks (until the Ram line got spun out as a separate brand) and performance cars. If you weren't going to buy a Chrysler Town & Country minivan, I'm not sure why you would have bought a Chrysler at all. And now nobody wants minivans anymore - if you're driving a Pacifica, it's because Enterprise ran out of everything else.

I'd disagree there. One of the few reasons the ancient Grand Caravan is even still in production is to prevent the Pacifica from selling too heavily to rental companies. While I've seen more and more Pacificas creep into rental fleets, I'd still wager a majority of Pacificas sold are directly to consumers. And its somewhat dishonest to say nobody wants minivans anymore. Automakers sell about 500,000 minivans a year, over 200,000 of which are made by Chrysler.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 06:01:40 PM »

how? the government shouldn't be trying to prop up dying businesses lmao
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2018, 06:36:52 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/steveearle/sweetlittle66.html

Some aspects of auto manufacturing are more important than others.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 06:44:55 PM »

I prefer things that are built by people making like 30 cents an hour in Thailand. Cheaper for me.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 07:48:59 PM »

I was always surprised that Chrysler (the brand) lasted as long as it did. Anecdotally, I have never seen too many of them on the road and their dealerships, at least around where I live, haven't existed for years.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 07:57:18 PM »

I prefer things that are built by people making like 30 cents an hour in Thailand. Cheaper for me.

I prefer cutting out middlemen in all walks of life.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 09:48:59 PM »

I hate it when they discontinue legendary car brands. I still miss Pontiac and Oldsmobile.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies