How would you have voted in 1992 election with hindsight?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 04:29:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How would you have voted in 1992 election with hindsight?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you in 1992 election with hindsight?
Bush

Parrot

Clinton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: How would you have voted in 1992 election with hindsight?  (Read 1391 times)
Lamda

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2018, 09:00:23 PM »
« edited: May 13, 2018, 09:06:29 PM by Lamda »

I would vote for Bush,Bill Clinton was a terrible president and cost the Democrats their majority in the house.
I also would vote for Gerald Ford with hindsight.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:11:34 PM »

And the Clinton hate continues.

Also I don't remember a parrot running for president back in '92.
Lamda

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 09:13:39 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2018, 09:37:20 PM by Lamda »

And the Clinton hate continues.

Also I don't remember a parrot running for president back in '92.
I meant Perot.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 09:46:25 PM »

With hindsight I'm torn. As I said in a previous post:

If I were alive and over 18 at the time (I was born about 6 months after this election) and had no benefit of hindsight, it'd be an easy Clinton vote. Now with the benefit of hindsight, I'm torn.

On the one hand, Bush would've handled Foreign Policy better than Clinton (though Clinton didn't do a bad job on FP either, he was flawed though), thus I don't think Russia would be such a headache today if a steadier hand was at the helm in the early post Cold War years nor do I think North Korea would. Bush also prevents the 1994 Republican revolution (or at least delays it) so Newt doesn't rise to Speaker of the House, making or politics less bitter and toxic. The gun issue would be less polarized, right wing militias wouldn't be an issue with Waco Happening with a Republican President instead of Clinton, and None of the Clinton's personal baggage would be brought to the White House either.

On the other hand, the budget wouldn't be balanced as there would be no 1993 Budget Bill that raised Taxes and cut spending, Bush may very well get two Supreme Court vacancies to fill if White and Blackmun still retire, and if that happens, Roe v. Wade may very well get overturned, and the Family Medical Leave Law would be delayed or not happen at all. Plus, for better and for worse, Clinton gave the Democratic Party the kick in the ass that it needed after three consecutive landslide loses  (and losing 4 out of 5 elections from 1968-1988), and if he loses, there's a good chance the Democrats would be even weaker and even more moderate in a Bush wins '92 scenario depending on which Democrat is elected to succeed Bush in 1996 (I doubt the GOP would win after 16 years of Republican control of the White House).
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »

I probably would've gone:

1. Perot
2. Clinton
3. Bush

...if judging strictly on policy. However, if taking other actions into account, Clinton sinks into a place of no forgiveness for his horrid decisions.
F. Joe Haydn
HenryWallaceVP

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 11:07:51 PM »

Bill Clinton
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 11:58:01 PM »

Bush
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 12:09:48 AM »

Perot
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 12:21:38 AM »

H.W.
Lamda

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 12:30:26 AM »

If I were alive and over 18 at the time (I was born about 6 months after this election) and had no benefit of hindsight, it'd be an easy Clinton vote. Now with the benefit of hindsight, I'm torn.

On the one hand, Bush would've handled Foreign Policy better than Clinton (though Clinton didn't do a bad job on FP either, he was flawed though), thus I don't think Russia would be such a headache today if a steadier hand was at the helm in the early post Cold War years nor do I think North Korea would. Bush also prevents the 1994 Republican revolution (or at least delays it) so Newt doesn't rise to Speaker of the House, making or politics less bitter and toxic. The gun issue would be less polarized, right wing militias wouldn't be an issue with Waco Happening with a Republican President instead of Clinton, and None of the Clinton's personal baggage would be brought to the White House either.

On the other hand, the budget wouldn't be balanced as there would be no 1993 Budget Bill that raised Taxes and cut spending, Bush may very well get two Supreme Court vacancies to fill if White and Blackmun still retire, and if that happens, Roe v. Wade may very well get overturned, and the Family Medical Leave Law would be delayed or not happen at all. Plus, for better and for worse, Clinton gave the Democratic Party the kick in the ass that it needed after three consecutive landslide loses  (and losing 4 out of 5 elections from 1968-1988), and if he loses, there's a good chance the Democrats would be even weaker and even more moderate in a Bush wins '92 scenario depending on which Democrat is elected to succeed Bush in 1996 (I doubt the GOP would win after 16 years of Republican control of the White House).
Al Gore would run and he would have been much better President than Bill Clinton.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 04:56:06 AM »

perot
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 07:13:15 AM »

Still Clinton.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 07:17:17 AM »

Clinton.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »

1. Parrot

2. Clinton

3. Bush
4. Perot
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 08:37:22 PM »

Bush because Clinton's Presidency did more to hurt the Democrats than it did to help them.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 08:40:45 PM »

Perot because he was pro choice and someone with serious possibility of sexual assault shouldn't be president.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 10:03:25 PM »

Obviously Perot.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 10:36:40 PM »

Al Gore would run and he would have been much better President than Bill Clinton.

Tbh I don't think Gore was the type who could have gotten the nomination without having been VP, but I agree that a Democrat would have won in 1996 and the country would be better off had Bush won in 1992.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 05:16:47 AM »

Perot
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 12:00:53 PM »

HW with or without hindsight.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 12:37:20 PM »

Perot
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 01:47:56 PM »

Perot
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 02:42:11 PM »

I wonder what effects Bush being the one to sign the crime bill would have.
UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 11:20:34 PM »

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 11:26:53 PM »

Were there any foreign policy differences between Bush 41 and Clinton?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies