Trump approval ratings thread 1.3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:07:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.3  (Read 181404 times)
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: July 21, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1876 on: July 21, 2018, 09:33:48 PM »

Gravis 7/20/18

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/Oregon_July_20_2018.pdf

Approve - 43
Disapprove - 53

Trump got 39% of the vote in Oregon in the 2016 election.

And Clinton got 50%, what's your point?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1877 on: July 21, 2018, 09:49:44 PM »

Why Oregon?

Also, Trump is at 43% in Oregon but 47% in New Jersey? Not buying it Gravis.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1878 on: July 21, 2018, 09:53:37 PM »

The colors in the legend are reversed.
[/quote]

Correction made.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1879 on: July 22, 2018, 07:32:44 AM »

Washington Post/Schlar School poll on Trump-Putin summit, July 18-20, 1473 adults

No question on overall Trump approval, but several on Trump and Russia including this one:

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Trump handled his meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin this week?

Among all adults:

Approve 33 (18 strongly)
Disapprove 50 (37 strongly)

Among registered voters:

Approve 33 (19 strongly)
Disapprove 54 (43 strongly)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1880 on: July 22, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »

Rough summer for Trump.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1881 on: July 22, 2018, 04:28:01 PM »

NBC/WSJ poll taken during (before and after) the Helsinki summit

Last poll was in early June.

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1021138283412287488

Approve - 45 (+1)
Disapprove - 52 (-1)

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1882 on: July 22, 2018, 04:40:15 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2018, 05:13:59 PM by Hindsight is 2020 »

Does NBC ever change? His approval is almost always the same regardless
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1883 on: July 22, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »

Commentary unneeded and unwanted Limo.  
twenty42
United States

« Reply #1884 on: July 22, 2018, 06:14:53 PM »

Hmm, is this a possible reaction to Putin meetup? If so, there's no reason this wouldn't dissipate in a few weeks. The American Public has the attention of a goldfish when it comes to Russia.
No, it's just that favourability is different from job approval, although for the life of me I will never understand how somebody who correctly identifies Trump as a scumbag, somehow cannot identify the fact that he is doing a horrible job.

Would somebody who preaches how terribly Trump is doing be willing to volunteer details on how their life has changed for the worse since 1/20/17?

I'm not trying to be snide or sarcastic here...I'm looking for a genuine answer. I can understand disliking Trump personally and being turned off by some of the stuff he says, but to claim that his presidency has been horrible doesn't jive in my brain. The economy has been prosperous and we've had relative peace on the world stage. I don't think conditions for the average American are nearly as bad as they were during Jimmy Carter's presidency or GWB's second term.

Speaking for myself, my salary has nearly doubled since January 2017 and my credit union's interest rates for my checking and savings accounts have increased by 1%. Maybe other people have different stories than mine, but I'd have no way of making a case that I had a better life under Obama than Trump.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1885 on: July 22, 2018, 06:22:46 PM »

Hmm, is this a possible reaction to Putin meetup? If so, there's no reason this wouldn't dissipate in a few weeks. The American Public has the attention of a goldfish when it comes to Russia.
No, it's just that favourability is different from job approval, although for the life of me I will never understand how somebody who correctly identifies Trump as a scumbag, somehow cannot identify the fact that he is doing a horrible job.

Would somebody who preaches how terribly Trump is doing be willing to volunteer details on how their life has changed for the worse since 1/20/17?

I'm not trying to be snide or sarcastic here...I'm looking for a genuine answer. I can understand disliking Trump personally and being turned off by some of the stuff he says, but to claim that his presidency has been horrible doesn't jive in my brain. The economy has been prosperous and we've had relative peace on the world stage. I don't think conditions for the average American are nearly as bad as they were during Jimmy Carter's presidency or GWB's second term.

Speaking for myself, my salary has nearly doubled since January 2017 and my credit union's interest rates for my checking and savings accounts have increased by 1%. Maybe other people have different stories than mine, but I'd have no way of making a case that I had a better life under Obama than Trump.

I can provide some input then:

1) Many of my friends' family passed away (especially the elderly) and a lot of my family suffered from an insufficient response from the federal government in the María disaster. Adding insult to injury, the way he dismissed all those deaths and suffering when he visited the island just needlessly aggravated everything.
2) My status as an underpaid graduate student worker is often harassed by this administration, to the point that they wanted to tax us for more than double what we earn last year.
3) Absolute embarrassment at the national and international scale on anything that involves even a modicum of finesse and/or detail.
4) Our executive branch has become unstable and unable to work efficiently to address the concerns of this country (beyond of the extent of what Congress can or won't do to block/aid it).
5) A number of my friends from the countries affected by the travel ban can no longer see their friends or family members, and it has affected them deeply.
6) Trump ran and skirted a win on fanning racial resentment, which doesn't make anything in this country any more comfortable.
7) Prices on products we all use will go up thanks to the tariffs, which will negatively affect the economy.

I could keep going on, but I'll just leave it there. Only if you're filthy rich and/or have the privilege to not have anyone you know or yourself affected by his inflammatory policies and vitriolic discourse could you say that things aren't all 'that bad.'
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1886 on: July 22, 2018, 06:23:47 PM »

Some people care about more than just themselves. Some people sympathize to all the victims of Trumps policies on immigration, education, taxes, etc. Not everyone is as closed minded as you are.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1887 on: July 22, 2018, 07:16:54 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1888 on: July 22, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »

Your life doesn't have to be directly impacted right now to have a bad opinion of Trump and a belief he is damaging this country. No sane Republican can say that Trump is strengthening ties to our allies - he's doing damage to them and essentially stress testing our foreign alliances, because ...why. Or rising healthcare premiums which have no doubt been affected bigly by Republicans recklessly tearing holes in the ACA despite knowing what the aftermath would look like. Or how about the massive hole Trump+Republicans just blew in the budget? You know how much debt Republicans have put this country in? A parent right now would absolutely be justified in worrying what this will do their children's livelihood(s) when they grow up and inherit this mess. Not to mention that it's just wrong to automatically think that because the economy is good right now, and Trump is president, that he deserves credit for all of it. This is such a stupid and timeless attribute of voters from both parties, who seem to think that the blame or credit for the state of the economy automatically goes entirely to whoever is POTUS at any given time. His share of credit in the economy is rising by the day because his policies are affecting it more and more, so by no means am I trying to starve the GOP of any credit whatsoever, but what the GOP did as soon as he took office - essentially try to act like somehow the economy went from poor to GREAT overnight, was shameless politics and nothing more.

Humans are gifted with the ability to plan long-term, which means thinking beyond the day to day. We, or rather, many of us have empathy, so we can understand what others are going through and how they are being affected by Republican policy even if we have it comparatively good. I don't think I've voted in a single election yet where a majority of concern was for myself.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #1889 on: July 22, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »

Your life doesn't have to be directly impacted right now to have a bad opinion of Trump and a belief he is damaging this country. No sane Republican can say that Trump is strengthening ties to our allies - he's doing damage to them and essentially stress testing our foreign alliances, because ...why. Or rising healthcare premiums which have no doubt been affected bigly by Republicans recklessly tearing holes in the ACA despite knowing what the aftermath would look like. Or how about the massive hole Trump+Republicans just blew in the budget? You know how much debt Republicans have put this country in? A parent right now would absolutely be justified in worrying what this will do their children's livelihood(s) when they grow up and inherit this mess. Not to mention that it's just wrong to automatically think that because the economy is good right now, and Trump is president, that he deserves credit for all of it. This is such a stupid and timeless attribute of voters from both parties, who seem to think that the blame or credit for the state of the economy automatically goes entirely to whoever is POTUS at any given time. His share of credit in the economy is rising by the day because his policies are affecting it more and more, so by no means am I trying to starve the GOP of any credit whatsoever, but what the GOP did as soon as he took office - essentially try to act like somehow the economy went from poor to GREAT overnight, was shameless politics and nothing more.

Humans are gifted with the ability to plan long-term, which means thinking beyond the day to day. We, or rather, many of us have empathy, so we can understand what others are going through and how they are being affected by Republican policy even if we have it comparatively good. I don't think I've voted in a single election yet where a majority of concern was for myself.

I'll agree with you that presidents get more credit/blame for the economy than they deserve, but it still remains that this is the biggest factor on which they are judged. Like I said, I understand why some people personally dislike him and get turned off by the words that come out of his mouth, but the claim some posters make that his presidency is such a horrible time to be alive doesn't ring true. We are doing better as a nation right now than we were doing in 1979-80 and 2007-08.

Whatever your opinion is of Trump the man, I would hope people could at least be a little happy that we have money in our wallets and we aren't at war. Neither of those things were true during GWB's second term.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1890 on: July 22, 2018, 07:43:45 PM »

I know I'm being picky, but I'd like a poll that was taken entirely after the Helsinki summit.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1891 on: July 22, 2018, 07:45:17 PM »

My opinion is that the economy would probably be the same, more or less, with just about any other Republican or even a Democrat, although you could quibble about some specifics with the Democrat, since there would probably be no tax cuts (but then also no huge deficit).

This leaves me considering all the other things that Trump is doing, such as Trump not only standing next to a dictator and selling out America and his own intelligence agencies just because his brain can't accept that his win might be even a little tainted by Russian meddling, but also saying the idea of sending a former ambassador over to be "interrogated" by Russian security services is an "incredible" (=good) idea.

I really don't mean to keep throwing this stuff out here, but I'm trying to subtly point out why he bothers me so much. Every day, it's new controversy or some new boneheaded policy with him. He is genuinely a grotesque bully of a man, and mind you, I am perfectly willing to give good marks to other Republican presidents in terms of character. I'm not just being a partisan hack.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1892 on: July 22, 2018, 07:49:09 PM »

BTW can take time to realize that Trump going up a single point in one poll is making Limo go concern troll and MSNBC to jump out the window? The man’s bar is that low
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1893 on: July 22, 2018, 08:51:44 PM »

Is twenty42's argument really that America's better off now than it was in the middle of the biggest economic meltdown since 1929, a time when people legitimately thought that the entire global economy would collapse and we'd end up living Mad Max, and which actually resulted in an economic downturn so severe we're only now recovering from it a decade later...and that being better off than that is the bar for success?
twenty42
United States

« Reply #1894 on: July 22, 2018, 09:05:22 PM »

Is twenty42's argument really that America's better off now than it was in the middle of the biggest economic meltdown since 1929, a time when people legitimately thought that the entire global economy would collapse and we'd end up living Mad Max, and which actually resulted in an economic downturn so severe we're only now recovering from it a decade later...and that being better off than that is the bar for success?

No. I'm saying that I'm pretty sure most people on this forum are old enough to remember GWB's second term, and therefore recall what truly BAD times are like. I've literally seen posters claim that Trump's administration has been the worst times of American history, and that is simply not true. You cannot discount peace and prosperity because you don't like things Trump says.

A lot of Americans are better off now than they were two years ago. This annoys the left because they want Trump's administration to be an unmitigated disaster, but it is what it is. The leftists who today say that the president deserves no credit for a good economy had no problem blaming Bush for a bad one, as the 2006 and 2008 election results clearly show. I have no doubt that Dems would be planning HRC's carving on Mt. Rushmore if her administration was experiencing the same peace and prosperity as DJT's is now.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1895 on: July 22, 2018, 11:15:55 PM »

No. I'm saying that I'm pretty sure most people on this forum are old enough to remember GWB's second term, and therefore recall what truly BAD times are like. I've literally seen posters claim that Trump's administration has been the worst times of American history, and that is simply not true. You cannot discount peace and prosperity because you don't like things Trump says.

A lot of Americans are better off now than they were two years ago. This annoys the left because they want Trump's administration to be an unmitigated disaster, but it is what it is. The leftists who today say that the president deserves no credit for a good economy had no problem blaming Bush for a bad one, as the 2006 and 2008 election results clearly show. I have no doubt that Dems would be planning HRC's carving on Mt. Rushmore if her administration was experiencing the same peace and prosperity as DJT's is now.

This is like giving a prayer of thanks to God that someone not you got the cancer/heart attack/ head-on collision with a drunk driver.

Many of us believe that the President's choices will have dreadful consequences. This is not pure theory; we have seen it before. Donald Trump is making the same mistakes that many political figures, not all of them Americans, have made as leaders. Maybe he gets away with them; maybe he doesn't. But if he doesn't, then he can get us all into deep trouble. We don't know when he will back off from a failed policy -- which makes it all scarier.   
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #1896 on: July 23, 2018, 03:31:35 AM »

I'll agree with you that presidents get more credit/blame for the economy than they deserve, but it still remains that this is the biggest factor on which they are judged. Like I said, I understand why some people personally dislike him and get turned off by the words that come out of his mouth, but the claim some posters make that his presidency is such a horrible time to be alive doesn't ring true. We are doing better as a nation right now than we were doing in 1979-80 and 2007-08.

Whatever your opinion is of Trump the man, I would hope people could at least be a little happy that we have money in our wallets and we aren't at war. Neither of those things were true during GWB's second term.
German in 1938: "So I get that you don't like Hitler personally and you get turned off by the fearmongering, but really, how are you not doing better than in 1933? everything was terrible back then and now unemployment is almost nonexistant. He may say outrageous things, but you can't deny that he is doing well."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1897 on: July 23, 2018, 07:57:34 AM »

While it's true the economy now is absolutely nothing like what we had in 2008, and the tariffs are still only hitting a few bits of it, many people consider more than just their economic status when deciding their well-being. This is the "What's the matter with Kansas?" problem in reverse. People who have good jobs are still distraught over what's happening to people of color, immigrants, and women in society since 2016, let alone the rule of law and America's standing in the world.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #1898 on: July 23, 2018, 08:06:46 AM »

Twenty this may be shocking to you but some folks actually care about other people
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1899 on: July 23, 2018, 10:13:54 AM »

Vermont (VPR-Vermont PBS)

28% approve
61% disapprove

http://projects.vpr.net/vpr-vermont-pbs-poll