RW new sites and pundits are starting to attack the Parkland students
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:31:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  RW new sites and pundits are starting to attack the Parkland students
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: RW new sites and pundits are starting to attack the Parkland students  (Read 12691 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2018, 10:00:46 PM »

Let Chairman Sanchez speak his mind. Let this not become a echo chamber here.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2018, 10:03:02 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2018, 05:50:51 AM by Vice President PiT »

No, f**k diversity of opinion when it comes to s**t like this.

I've defended Sanchez in the past but enough.
Hollywood756
Rookie

« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2018, 10:06:17 PM »

yeah. I declare Hitchens razor and dismiss him entirely. If he wants to be heard, he's gotta say something worth hearing.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2018, 10:06:40 PM »

These students when I hear them speak give me so much hope. I think a wave is coming and these kids ain't going anywhere near conservatives.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2018, 10:07:43 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

um... The culture of wealth disparity, gated communities, a dearth of mental health resources, and widely available guns?

Who's perpetuating what culture? Cruz was one of you, my man.
Cruz lost his mother and was living in a trailer in Lantana near the airport. Cruz was a permanently shattered, angry, disturbed young man. Those don't really fit in with the trends of the Parkland types I've just mentioned.

I'm practically a pacifist. I don't see how my belief in my uncle's right to keep his hunting rifle equates to me perpetuating a culture of violence, as opposed to say, all the people who thought Cruz's seemingly idle threats were "LOL hillarious! He's so weirdz!"

so your answer to my questions is a culture of trivializing the concern for violence? He was reported several times, but given than gun laws are so lax, there was nothing they could do. The kid hadn't committed a crime until he did, and if he had his guns taken away before he killed anyone, guess who would be screaming about an intrusive and overbearing government confiscating guns?

Coherence is possible, my man, but you gotta learn to change your mind sometime.
The kid should've never been able to pass a background check. He shouldn't have been able to buy the guns at 19. Bump stocks (irrelevant here but still a issue) and modifications (but not the gun proper) should be banned.

He used to sell knifes at school. 27 people were killed yesterday in a China knife attack. Take away the gun, and you still have an angry kid hell bent on acting out his perverse revenge on a bunch of students. You aren't dealing with the problem still. You aren't solving the crisis in his head or the exterior factors that are making it exponentially worse. What now?
So your argument is that inequality and its associated social implications (exclusion, marginalization, bullying, etc) is the real culprit here.  I agree!  But it's not the only factor.  There was also the fact that he just had a sh**tty hand of cards dealt to him with being a double orphan by age 19.  There was the easy access to very deadly guns... the access itself probably emboldening him to act like he did (he may have thought twice about knifing up the school because of the proximity needed to harm people)...

You argue that people only care about this cuz it affected spoiled rich kids while bemoaning the violence in minority communities, which are plagued with grinding poverty and lack of opportunity in our drastically unequal society.

You've built up the idea in your head that Democrats are the rich ones who want to keep you poor.  You believed the guy that took 11 out of 12 cookies on the plate when he said "that scary Democrat wants to take your cookie"...

Both parties have caused hurt and destruction. That's why I am an Independent. We have rich Republicans, rich Democrats. Good for them. I like success. However, we cannot as a society exclude those in emotional and mental pain.

Fixing America's "unequal economic and social society" will not come from banning wealth and success. It comes with tax increases on the rich to fund programs that work, and giving businesses and job creators money to CREATE jobs and create economic and social opportunity for people.

Government doesn't create jobs.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2018, 10:09:30 PM »

These students when I hear them speak give me so much hope. I think a wave is coming and these kids ain't going anywhere near conservatives.

We don't know yet. We don't know what the political environment will be in 10-20-30 years.

I like the Parkland kids. I don't agree with Kasky, Hogg, Gonzalez on everything, they're a bit too aggressive, but they seem like good young people. I'd like to have a word or a meeting with them on this issue of "gun reform."
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2018, 10:11:33 PM »

Your trolling is become predictable, try harder.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2018, 10:12:45 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2018, 05:51:24 AM by Vice President PiT »

I've defended Sanchez in the past but enough.
Funny how even here you're wishing death on me while simultaneously calling me the asshole.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2018, 10:14:41 PM »

I've defended Sanchez in the past but after today he can choke on his own vomit.
Funny how even here you're wishing death on me while simultaneously calling me the asshole.
The open aggression and hypocrisy are part of publicunofficial's appeal.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »

💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2018, 10:23:37 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2018, 05:57:05 AM by Vice President PiT »

Gotta love it when someone who did not lose a child or see their childhood friend get murdered right in front of them tells someone who did lose a child or have their childhood friend get murdered right in front of them how they will never have to struggle.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2018, 10:38:58 PM »

Trash sub-humans will vomit trash.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2018, 11:37:04 PM »

I totally agree. The deeper some people make their holes, the better.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2018, 12:03:19 AM »

The solution to this is not banning guns that go pew-pew-pew instead of pew... pew... pew...

There is a reason why school shooters are called criminals, because they break the law. Putting a "no guns allowed" sticker on the front entrance doesn't do smack. There needs to be defense in a school.

Imagine if there was another gun in that school, and another student stepped up and killed the shooter and saved 10+ lives. Thats not possible in schools nowadays, now is it? See, when there is a school shooter in a school building, you can only run or hide. Why not be able to stop it? Now I'm definitely not a Rush Limbaugh fan, he is a nut. But to be quite honest, I do believe that verified teachers should be able to responsibly bring and store a gun with restricted access in the classroom, office, closet, etc. Saving lives is better than not being able to do anything at all.

And I definitely do not trust the judgement of high schoolers who have basically no understanding of politics, who just love being used as political pawns by democratic politicians. Teenagers nowadays are
blinded by their fantasies of social justice and the thinking that their protesting can ever make wise adults much smarter than them even feel a bit sympathetic for them. I did not feel sad at all when I saw their little smirks of "hope" and "change" get wiped off their face via the power of our constitution. I always have sympathy for people who have witnessed and lost so much, and for them it must be terrible. But gun control is not the answer.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2018, 12:13:50 AM »

There are a number of republicans on this board. I'd love to see one come here and explain this to us.

i'm not these people. The ones who say this sh!t are the authoritarian Russkie sympathizers.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2018, 12:16:13 AM »

The solution to this is not banning guns that go pew-pew-pew instead of pew... pew... pew...

There is a reason why school shooters are called criminals, because they break the law. Putting a "no guns allowed" sticker on the front entrance doesn't do smack. There needs to be defense in a school.

Imagine if there was another gun in that school, and another student stepped up and killed the shooter and saved 10+ lives. Thats not possible in schools nowadays, now is it? See, when there is a school shooter in a school building, you can only run or hide. Why not be able to stop it? Now I'm definitely not a Rush Limbaugh fan, he is a nut. But to be quite honest, I do believe that verified teachers should be able to responsibly bring and store a gun with restricted access in the classroom, office, closet, etc. Saving lives is better than not being able to do anything at all.

And I definitely do not trust the judgement of high schoolers who have basically no understanding of politics, who just love being used as political pawns by democratic politicians. Teenagers nowadays are
blinded by their fantasies of social justice and the thinking that their protesting can ever make wise adults much smarter than them even feel a bit sympathetic for them. I did not feel sad at all when I saw their little smirks of "hope" and "change" get wiped off their face via the power of our constitution. I always have sympathy for people who have witnessed and lost so much, and for them it must be terrible. But gun control is not the answer.

I think armed guards patrolling the schools are a good idea. Don't put the responsibility of "saving the school" on the damn students, just put professionally trained armed guards in the school and they can deal with any shooter.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2018, 12:16:43 AM »

Dinesh deserves to rot in hell
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2018, 12:19:35 AM »

As someone who is from South Florida, I can say with good authority that Parkland kids have tended to be the most preppy, arrogant, nasty, and pampered pack of kids I’ve ever encountered. Barring Boca kids at least. Up until last week my friends and I used to joke about them. My brother even bemoaned starting his job at the Jimmy Johns there because he didn’t want to work with them. The collective reputation of Parkland - and my experiences with Parkland kids - doesn’t change in spite of what happened. They in no way deserved this but I’ll be damned if a group of kids too scared to go down to MLK Blvd in Pompano to protest the regular killings of black youth due to crime/police/etc end up impacting this country’s two hundred year tradition of protecting the sanctity of our rights to bare arms.

They want to pimp out their friend’s deaths and make a statement? Well then we the people have the right to answer them. The ultimate victory of the NRA this time around will be an important life lesson for them anyway: you can’t always get what you want.

Come on, man, you're better than this Sad
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2018, 12:35:00 AM »

He is not exactly wrong here.

(Oh crap, I broke the liberal echo chamber barrier with a conservative statement Surprise .)

what the f!ck man?

you think it's okay to draw comparisons between getting a summer job and watching your friends get mowed down in front of you?

you are a sick, immoral, evil individual if you think that's okay.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2018, 12:36:38 AM »

it's not called "a conservative statement" it's called "being an asshat who doesn't know manners or tact"
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2018, 12:36:49 AM »

He is not exactly wrong here.

(Oh crap, I broke the liberal echo chamber barrier with a conservative statement Surprise .)

Okay, I'll give you the one on the right, but the one on the left is a bit much considering what just happened.

I'd greatly prefer it if the standard for a conservative statement was a little better than that, or at least based on some principle rather than schadenfreude. I'm no pro-establishment moderate, but if that is the epitome of conservatism I feel a little disgusted.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2018, 12:37:58 AM »

it's not called "a conservative statement" it's called "being an asshat who doesn't know manners or tact"

The statement isn't saying the shooting is the worst since being told to get a summer job but that watching the vote fail is. Moronic, but not as bad as what you interpret it to mean.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2018, 12:40:09 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2018, 12:41:47 AM by ⒼℜAⱾŠℛ⭕️ ⭕️ t 𝐒🇺🇸 »

I'm not a giant fan of the statements, especially the left one, but the amount of caring this forum takes into not exactly thoughts-and-prayers posts is interesting.

And by the way, a conservative statement is any statement which doesn't say "more gun control" on this thread.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2018, 12:55:12 AM »

As someone who is from South Florida, I can say with good authority that Parkland kids have tended to be the most preppy, arrogant, nasty, and pampered pack of kids I’ve ever encountered. Barring Boca kids at least. Up until last week my friends and I used to joke about them. My brother even bemoaned starting his job at the Jimmy Johns there because he didn’t want to work with them. The collective reputation of Parkland - and my experiences with Parkland kids - doesn’t change in spite of what happened. They in no way deserved this but I’ll be damned if a group of kids too scared to go down to MLK Blvd in Pompano to protest the regular killings of black youth due to crime/police/etc end up impacting this country’s two hundred year tradition of protecting the sanctity of our rights to bare arms.

They want to pimp out their friend’s deaths and make a statement? Well then we the people have the right to answer them. The ultimate victory of the NRA this time around will be an important life lesson for them anyway: you can’t always get what you want.

Come on, man, you're better than this Sad
No he's not- what on earth makes you think he is?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2018, 12:56:06 AM »

I'm not a giant fan of the statements, especially the left one, but the amount of caring this forum takes into not exactly thoughts-and-prayers posts is interesting.

And by the way, a conservative statement is any statement which doesn't say "more gun control" on this thread.

Fair enough. I don't like the statements because they're rather nasty given the circumstances and are primarily just a kind of vague condescension and emotional whinging that I've come to expect from the liberal side. I don't find them terribly convincing of anything either really.

If anything I think the consideration that doesn't seem to have been voiced yet but should is that public policy shouldn't generally be made in such an emotional situation. If we're going to make major sweeping changes to gun laws, we probably should take more than a couple weeks to think it all through. I know that's politically inconvenient for the left from a messaging standpoint, but does anyone even know what's in this bill? I have no idea. Nobody even seems interested in discussing it. Yet there is this desire to do anything something based on emotion. People seem to think about this in a sort of binary sense of either "people who care about the lives of children" and "people who don't" or "people who think we should be allowed to have guns" or "people who don't", when clearly the problems are more complicated than that, and aren't simply going to go away after a quick fix (some suggestions were pointed out in this thread at least). Of course that doesn't fit the liberal hot take. But D'Souza managed to say absolutely nothing of consequence.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies