17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:44:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Author Topic: 17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.  (Read 27554 times)
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »
« edited: February 15, 2018, 12:42:56 PM by LimoLiberal »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-presence-at-marjory-stoneman-douglas-high-in-florida-live-updates/

20 injured, last I heard. And they haven't caught anyone yet.

Despicable.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »

My heart goes out to the families of the victims.
It's terrible how "normal" these shootings have become. We're being desensitized.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2018, 04:08:21 PM by Deplorables Unite! »

My brother works across the street from there. The gunman has hostages, apparently. My other brother goes to a special needs school in Parkland (keep in mind, my brothers live in Broward, my folks are still in Boynton in PBC) or Coral Springs, forget where exactly, and when I heard Parkland I became very nervous.

I don't think I know anyone in Parkland. It's a very affluent and safe place. DWS lives out there, in fact.

EDIT: Watching the TV. I know exactly where that school is. We pass it on our way out to my brother's group home in neighboring Coral Springs, actually.

BTW, my third cousin was a witness to the last school shooting in KY. Was literally standing right next to the gunman when he opened fire on his targets. Fortunately it was not a rampage but rather just a murder, so he was safe. Jesus Christ.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 04:07:30 PM »

Terribly sad. Sad  Praying for anyone affected.

Please, can we for once not broadcast the identity of the shooter?  Not saying that's like the main thing to cut down on these, necessarily, but these sick shooters are crying out for attention, and they know they'll get it.  We literally don't report bridge suicides, right?  Let's report that this happened and not release the identity of the attacker.

Probably too much to ask. Sad
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 04:11:46 PM »

On the phone with my brother, I can hear the sirens in the background.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »

How many is that so far this year?  At least a dozen?
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 04:18:30 PM »

Prayers
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 04:24:00 PM »

How many is that so far this year?  At least a dozen?

I believe it's the 18th in a month and a half.
Joey1996

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »

Sickening, seems like something like this happens every other month?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 04:31:59 PM »

People forgot about that school shooting in Kentucky very quickly. We only seem to care when the death toll is really high.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »

Sickening, seems like something like this happens every other month?
No.  This is number 18 in a month in a half.  That's one about every 3 days plus a few extra.

https://twitter.com/jnarls/status/963884450030477312

Turn your speakers up loud and watch this clip.
Joey1996

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »

People forgot about that school shooting in Kentucky very quickly. We only seem to care when the death toll is really high.

Yeah that's how ridiculous it has gotten. I remember when VTech happened, I was 9. I didn't remember a shooting that big happening agasin until Gabby Giffords. I'm sure there were hundreds of smaller shootings in that timespan
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 04:35:16 PM »

Apparently the guy (who I don't have a name for and am not planning to name) is in custody.

Per Sen. Nelson, multiple fatalities.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 04:36:10 PM »

American's have become numb to gun violence. You can thank the NRA for that.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 04:38:28 PM »

Yeah that's how ridiculous it has gotten. I remember when VTech happened, I was 9. I didn't remember a shooting that big happening agasin until Gabby Giffords. I'm sure there were hundreds of smaller shootings in that timespan

Actually the Giffords shooting death toll was on the lower end. It just got attention because of the circumstances of the shooting. It was Sandy Hook that turned much of the country in favor of gun control.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 04:39:47 PM »

Goes without saying that this is a horrible tragedy, and as much as I know it's insensitive to be "that guy", let's just wait and see how many "thoughts and prayers" tweets and statements go out. It hasn't worked before, but maybe this time it will.

Let's face it: this nation views school shootings as a regular part of our zeitgeist. Nothing concrete has been done (and I'm not talking about just gun control here) to at least try and stop these types of massacres from happening, therefore we are all complicit in the murders of these kids. It is quite literally the price we have agreed to pay for the right to own guns...a right that many of us choose not to even exercise. This is not me saying "ban guns" because I personally don't think that's the solution (or if it's even a solution) yet how much longer can we pretend that these shootings are "tragic" without actually trying to prevent them?

We're all complicit. No one wants to try solutions, conservatives, liberals, progressives, what have you. After Sandy Hook, I accepted that if we did not rally together immediately to try and find some kind of solution, we never would. And we haven't.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 04:40:58 PM »

I see it's that time of month again for the school shooting.
Joey1996

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 04:44:02 PM »

News saying the suspect is being taken to a hospital
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 04:46:29 PM »

I say take him to congress and let him go.

How f**ked up is it that I have to think twice about saying that while the same people that make me reticent to say such a thing also make sure the motherf**ker in Florida has a gun.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 04:47:11 PM »

13 so far this year.

I think all kids at school need to be taught from a very early age that they might be shot at while at school. If they ask why no one stops it, adults have to sit down and look into their eyes and say 'we don't want to.'

Because that, sadly, is the truth. It's the new reality.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 04:49:24 PM »

18 so far this year.

I think all kids at school need to be taught from a very early age that they might be shot at while at school. If they ask why no one stops it, adults have to sit down and look into their eyes and say 'we don't want to.'

Because that, sadly, is the truth. It's the new reality.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 04:52:28 PM »

https://twitter.com/jnarls/status/963884450030477312

Once again.  Watch the clip!  You too can enjoy what it's like to be in a school shooting.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »

I say take him to congress and let him go.

How f**ked up is it that I have to think twice about saying that while the same people that make me reticent to say such a thing also make sure the motherf**ker in Florida has a gun.
Allow me to be the angry one here. After all, this is my younger district's school district here. Take a chill pill. This problem is like cancer. It doesn't go away overnight.

In 1976, my mom was eleven and my dad was twenty two. Both of them cannot recall a major shooting like this before or for decades after 1976. In 1976, my dad bought a Saturday Night Special and went around with his buddies shooting out street lights and in general f**king stuff up like young people are want to do. He bought the gun in cash legally, no questions asked, and had himself a good time with it.

Well, until one of his best friends randomly blew his head with his own pistol right off in front of them. They were buying weed from some guy, at least. They still don't know what happened there exactly. Guns kill, no doubt. But would the lack of that gun kept that guy from doing what he did eventually? If it was intentional, at least.

Now MSNBC is lamenting the lack of metal detectors in the schools. I've been to Coral Springs High, the neighboring school, when my brother briefly attended it. That school is a literal fortress. It was more strident than airport security. We went through a metal detector, we went through a checkpoint where my mom's purse was checked, and we had to sign in behind a very thick glass window (bulletproof?). There is nothing more we can do, besides banning guns (which I've argued won't work a billion times now in the seven years here), that would stop this.

Face it, people are somehow getting crazier.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »

Now MSNBC is lamenting the lack of metal detectors in the schools. I've been to Coral Springs High, the neighboring school, when my brother briefly attended it. That school is a literal fortress. It was more strident than airport security. We went through a metal detector, we went through a checkpoint where my mom's purse was checked, and we had to sign in behind a very thick glass window (bulletproof?). There is nothing more we can do, besides banning guns (which I've argued won't work a billion times now in the seven years here), that would stop this.

Face it, people are somehow getting crazier.

SCHOOLS
SHOULDN'T
HAVE
TO
BE
BUILT
FORTRESSES
BECAUSE
OF
GUNS
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17  
« previous next »