MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:56:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano  (Read 20515 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »

Yikes.

Not good.

Second quote is much worse than the Kaep critique

Yeah, he could get away with the Kaepernick comment on his own, but I have no idea why he decided an own-goal was a good idea right before his primary.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »

Reminds me of the Crowley comments also disparaging identity politics. These 90’s Dems are really out of touch.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2018, 07:16:08 PM »

Reminds me of the Crowley comments also disparaging identity politics. These 90’s Dems are really out of touch.

I’m sympathetic to critiques of identity politics but this is not an artful/intelligent of approaching it
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2018, 07:58:16 PM »

I’m sympathetic to critiques of identity politics but this is not an artful/intelligent of approaching it
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2018, 09:08:42 PM »

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2018, 10:22:31 PM »

Mike Capuowley
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2018, 06:13:01 PM »

He doubled down lmao what a moron:

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »

Fortunately, Capuano should still win despite the gaffe.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2018, 06:17:56 PM »

I was supporting capuano but between the Kaepernick criticism and this stuff he's clearly out of touch. Time for him to go.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2018, 06:19:51 PM »

He told a constituent he "wished the Blue Lives Matter bill did more"

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2018, 06:55:04 PM »

I still support Capuano since he will be the ranking member of the house transportation committee when we take back the house, and he has always helped us in MA out, but hes clearly getting too old for the job.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2018, 07:12:31 PM »

I still support Capuano since he will be the ranking member of the house transportation committee when we take back the house, and he has always helped us in MA out, but hes clearly getting too old for the job.
Respectfully, that is not a great reason to vote for a politician, especially one that's as out-of-touch as Capuano.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #187 on: August 17, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »

Respectfully, that is not a great reason to vote for a politician, especially one that's as out-of-touch as Capuano.
I disagree... we have massive transportation investment needs in our district, some of which are underway (Green Line extension), and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: August 17, 2018, 07:18:22 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2018, 07:22:01 PM by Zaybay »

It is in MA. Its a really big deal, and Capuano has huge ties here for helping out our public transport. He has always helped out the MBTA, and given it the funds to expand and work properly.

While he is out of touch, it would actually be worse for MA to lose him and his spot. Especially considering the two share most of the same policies, bar one or two.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2018, 09:04:03 PM »

I’m onboard for Capuano now
Lognog
United States

« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2018, 09:12:34 PM »

It is in MA. Its a really big deal, and Capuano has huge ties here for helping out our public transport. He has always helped out the MBTA, and given it the funds to expand and work properly.

While he is out of touch, it would actually be worse for MA to lose him and his spot. Especially considering the two share most of the same policies, bar one or two.

Someone who is out of touch with his party and constituents while being too old for the job should not be reelected, and the pork he would advocate for is not enough of a justification to vote for him imo.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2018, 10:17:48 PM by Zaybay »

Someone who is out of touch with his party and constituents while being too old for the job should not be reelected, and the pork he would advocate for is not enough of a justification to vote for him imo.
Who said he was out of touch with the party and constituents? I only refer to him as "out of touch" because he still believes in compromise, not the actual issues. He is one of the most progressive legislators in the entire D caucus. He has advanced many programs to help those economically disadvantaged and is a big supporter of unions. It just so turns out that a major union in his district is the police union, which is why he is pro-police.

However, he has supported many bills that have helped the minorities in his district, such as supporting public transport, unionization, and access to more social services, not to mention his support of healthcare, his pro-choice record, among others. And his support of the MBTA cannot be understated, without him, the system could have gone under many times.

To replace him with Pressley just because of one vote on a pro-police bill, which makes sense considering his union support, is a terrible decision for the constituencies that have benefited from his support of the MBTA.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #192 on: August 18, 2018, 12:52:14 AM »

I mean that's easy to say for someone who doesn't rely on the MBTA to commute. The amount of money he's secured for our district can't be understated. I don't agree with Capuano on the whole Kapernick thing, but he still has an outstanding progressive record anyways. He also is certainly not out-of-touch. During my time canvassing for him I met a bunch of people who had met him and were felt like was very much in touch.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #193 on: August 18, 2018, 04:55:07 AM »

Yikes.

He has a valid point buried in there, but he's making it in the most offensive and disparaging way possible. Which, ironically, is exactly what he accuses Kaepernick of doing.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: August 18, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »

Took a little bit of race baiting for you to support him, eh?
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2018, 08:27:52 AM »

Is Capuano really that progressive?

He has a noticeably higher Trump score than other progressive politicians like Elizabeth Warren, Barbara Lee, Keith Ellison, Bernie Sanders.

Capuano's Trump score is much closer to other old-school city machine politicians like Joe Crowley and Bob Brady than the aforementioned progressive politicians. Where it's admittedly pretty low, but noticeably higher than the high-profile progressives in the House and Senate.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2018, 09:38:44 AM »

His Kaepernick and gay Ukrainian comments make him out of touch stylistically with liberals in his district, but he’s not really out of touch on the issues. He has the profile of an older pol who has worked hard to move with the times.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #197 on: August 18, 2018, 11:11:21 AM »

Obviously the primary role of a Congressman representing a complex urban district with severe social problems is to make sure that they hit the right #woke notes on whatever issues rose emoji twitter is angry about at any given moment. That is true politics and will definitely lead to a more egalitarian and harmonious society.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #198 on: August 18, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »

Very interesting take on this race from The Intercept.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #199 on: August 18, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »

This comes off as... anti-Pressley?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies