What's the problem with DeWine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:00:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What's the problem with DeWine?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What's the problem with DeWine?  (Read 2817 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2005, 07:36:39 PM »

Why would he have been such a concern for re-election if Brown or Ryan decided to run? What's his problem? The Dems think they can win there but what issues would have made it a possible pickup? He's a moderate Republican that is critical of the administration. I could understand if he was some far right wing Republican but he's not. Is it because he's not conservative enough on issues like gun rights? Or is the the whole Taft situation really that bad?

Some answers, please.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 07:44:26 PM »

For one thing he has a 42% approval; 43% disapproval rating (source); the fourth lowest in the country after Santorum, Coburn and Martinez.  I'm personally ambivalent towards the guy - he hasn't really done anything to offend me.  In fact, he hasn't really done anything at all that I can think of.  Perhaps that's the problem.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 07:47:24 PM »

For one thing he has a 42% approval; 43% disapproval rating (source); the fourth lowest in the country after Santorum, Coburn and Martinez.  I'm personally ambivalent towards the guy - he hasn't really done anything to offend me.  In fact, he hasn't really done anything at all that I can think of.  Perhaps that's the problem.

Not doing anything at all. I'm guessing that's why he has such a low approval rating? I'm trying to find out why people dislike him. I know I don't like him but that's because he's not conservative enough.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 07:53:44 PM »

I believe Republicans only approve of him by a 50% or so clip which is a factor in his low approval ratings. Those people will vote for him over Hackett though, so he isn't in much trouble.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 07:56:43 PM »

I believe Republicans only approve of him by a 50% or so clip which is a factor in his low approval ratings. Those people will vote for him over Hackett though, so he isn't in much trouble.

Exactly.  I'm trying to find his approval rating among Dem and Rep party members to expand on this, but haven't found anything yet.  But you're certainly right - if DeWine fights off a primary challenge from the right, he'll still have more than enough of a support base to beat the Democrat.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 08:00:08 PM »

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=90695981-19b3-4a9d-a0bc-7a142487e25b

August SurveryUSA has him at 52/33 among Republicans and 49/40 among Conservatives.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 08:10:11 PM »

Why would he have been such a concern for re-election if Brown or Ryan decided to run? What's his problem? The Dems think they can win there but what issues would have made it a possible pickup? He's a moderate Republican that is critical of the administration. I could understand if he was some far right wing Republican but he's not. Is it because he's not conservative enough on issues like gun rights? Or is the the whole Taft situation really that bad?

Some answers, please.

It appears that the Democrats aren't going to run Ryan (who could have been elected).

It would be nice if the Libertarians would get their act together and run a plausible candidate.

Such a candidate could easily break five per cent against DeWine.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 08:17:16 PM »

Any idea how much of the electorate is made up of hunters, gun owners, etc? 
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 08:19:07 PM »

I was actually thinking about this today, and personally I like DeWine he is probably my second favorite GOP senator. I would have been upset if he would have lost but for now he appears safe. DeWine's voting record for 2004 was actually more moderate than John McCain's according to the National Journal, which explains why the GOP base doesn't like him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 08:19:40 PM »

Any idea how much of the electorate is made up of hunters, gun owners, etc? 

I'm guess gun rights are a big issue in Ohio. Remember John Kerry playing hunter a few days before the election in the Buckeye state?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 08:20:25 PM »

I'm guess gun rights are a big issue in Ohio. Remember John Kerry playing hunter a few days before the election in the Buckeye state?

Was that his duck hunting trip?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 08:21:37 PM »

Was that his duck hunting trip?

I think so. It looked like her was walking through a corn field or something.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 08:29:19 PM »

Yeah, gun ownership and rights is a pretty big issue here, and one that it looks like DeWine got wrong.  The NRA were planning to endorse Tim Ryan over him, and it's likely that they'll now endorse Hackett instead (who has a similar stance to Ryan).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 08:30:35 PM »

The real eye-catcher in that poll is that George Voinovich's approval and disapproval ratings are tied among conservatives and liberals.  But anyway, I digress.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 08:32:12 PM »

Yeah, gun ownership and rights is a pretty big issue here, and one that it looks like DeWine got wrong.  The NRA were planning to endorse Tim Ryan over him, and it's likely that they'll now endorse Hackett instead (who has a similar stance to Ryan).

Wow. Time for the OH GOP to get it's act together and tell DeWine to pack it up. I think DeWine would beat Hackett but if the gun issue is that big of a deal in Ohio, I don't want to risk having a tough race. Plus, I want Kasich as the nominee even if DeWine was going to cruise to re-election.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 08:34:58 PM »

Great news.  Thats all I needed to know.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 08:39:29 PM »

Okay, I found DeWine's actual numbers from National Journal and decided to compare his with John McCain's:

Mike DeWine                            John McCain
                         LIB       CON                            LIB         CON
Economic:          46%      53%                          49%       48%
Social:               49%      49%                          44%        55%
Foreign:            47%       51%                         49%        49%

Both clearly have moderate voting records, the only thing that really sticks out to me is DeWine's voting on Social issues.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 08:47:13 PM »

Okay, I found DeWine's actual numbers from National Journal and decided to compare his with John McCain's:

Mike DeWine                            John McCain
                         LIB       CON                            LIB         CON
Economic:          46%      53%                          49%       48%
Social:               49%      49%                          44%        55%
Foreign:            47%       51%                         49%        49%

Both clearly have moderate voting records, the only thing that really sticks out to me is DeWine's voting on Social issues.

That doesn't seem very relevant here, because John McCain has a statewide approval of 69%, with 67% and 70% approval among conservatives and Republicans respectively.  He's hardly vulnerable like DeWine.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 08:53:38 PM »

Mike DeWine                            John McCain
                         LIB       CON                            LIB         CON
Economic:          46%      53%                          49%       48%
Social:               49%      49%                          44%        55%
Foreign:            47%       51%                         49%        49%

That doesn't seem very relevant here, because John McCain has a statewide approval of 69%, with 67% and 70% approval among conservatives and Republicans respectively.  He's hardly vulnerable like DeWine.
No, I wasn't saying that McCain was vulnerable (he is a safe as they come), I was just showing a comparison on how moderate DeWine really is.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 11:48:05 PM »

Hackett...is that OH-2 Hackett, some other Hackett, or am I just confused...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 11:51:04 PM »

OH 2 Paul Hackett - He is all they have left...well...not including our favorite talk show host Jerry Springer.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2005, 12:00:22 AM »

OH 2 Paul Hackett - He is all they have left...well...not including our favorite talk show host Jerry Springer.

Democrat Tim Ryan might be a good candidate for OH Senate, too. However, the Illinois GOP probably has written a clause that no one named Mr. Ryan is ever allowed to run again in Illinois.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2005, 12:26:18 AM »

Democrat Tim Ryan might be a good candidate for OH Senate, too. However, the Illinois GOP probably has written a clause that no one named Mr. Ryan is ever allowed to run again in Illinois.

I guess you haven't been following the news about Mr. Ryan. And I don't get the Ryan-Illinois GOP joke.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 05:08:51 AM »

I guess you haven't been following the news about Mr. Ryan. And I don't get the Ryan-Illinois GOP joke.

Jack Ryan pulled out of the IL GOP nomination last year after a sex scandal, which led to the mad scramble to fight Barack Obama, which gave them Alan Keyes.  But not funny or relevant here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 04:25:42 PM »

Jack Ryan pulled out of the IL GOP nomination last year after a sex scandal, which led to the mad scramble to fight Barack Obama, which gave them Alan Keyes.  But not funny or relevant here.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I know the situation with Jack Ryan. I was a bigger supporter of his.  Sad
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies