What's the problem with DeWine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:16:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What's the problem with DeWine?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What's the problem with DeWine?  (Read 2805 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005, 10:28:54 PM »

Okay, I found DeWine's actual numbers from National Journal and decided to compare his with John McCain's:

Mike DeWine                            John McCain
                         LIB       CON                            LIB         CON
Economic:          46%      53%                          49%       48%
Social:               49%      49%                          44%        55%
Foreign:            47%       51%                         49%        49%

Both clearly have moderate voting records, the only thing that really sticks out to me is DeWine's voting on Social issues.

That doesn't seem very relevant here, because John McCain has a statewide approval of 69%, with 67% and 70% approval among conservatives and Republicans respectively.  He's hardly vulnerable like DeWine.
No, I wasn't saying that McCain was vulnerable (he is a safe as they come), I was just showing a comparison on how moderate DeWine really is.

Getting slightly off-track here, but it's strange how McCain is about as moderate as DeWine, and yet is approved of by more conservatives and Republicans by about 20 points more.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 11:05:40 PM »

DeWine has turned into DeVinegar.

I just thought of that and giggled for about a minute.  Might actually look cute on a bumpersticker.

I expect royalties if the Dem candidate uses it.
RJ
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2005, 11:40:13 PM »

I remember Dewine ran against John Glenn the first time Clinton was elected. He was, of course, embarrassed. He just doesn't seem to be as charismatic as McCain and looks(and acts) like a typical government employee. If you've ever seen him speak, he looks and sounds like he's doing a tax audit for the IRS. The other senator here is George Voinovich, who seems to be much more liked. He was once the governor as well and was credited as a very well liked politician.

I had no idea he(Dewine) was not so conservative, though. I would have pegged him as more conservative than Voinovich. Can anyone provide info on this? It may give some insight as to why a senator like Voinovich is so much more popular than Dewine(the Governor thing probably helped, too).
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2005, 12:06:45 PM »

Voinovich still has residual support in Cleveland, a city he rescured from the disasterous maladmininistration of a left wing nut case.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2005, 05:48:06 AM »

Voinovich still has residual support in Cleveland, a city he rescured from the disasterous maladmininistration of a left wing nut case.

That wouldn’t be dear Denis would it? Cheesy

How the hell, did Kucinich get elected to congress in the first place, I’m sure he’s personally well meaning but politically he’s to far out there he’s almost in orbit! 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2005, 06:09:54 AM »

How the hell, did Kucinich get elected to congress in the first place, I’m sure he’s personally well meaning but politically he’s to far out there he’s almost in orbit! 

And his district is classic Reagan Democrat territory and actually had a GOP rep before he ousted her in 1996...
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2005, 01:51:46 PM »

That wouldn’t be dear Denis would it? Cheesy

Yeah, Kucinich.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies