U.S. Government Shutdown 2018: Whose Fault is it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 02:55:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. Government Shutdown 2018: Whose Fault is it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Whose Fault is it?
Trump and the GOP

Democrats

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 145

Author Topic: U.S. Government Shutdown 2018: Whose Fault is it?  (Read 8458 times)
tallguy23
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 01:16:42 PM »

The American electorate, who can barely be bothered to vote and who have let the political process be hijacked by performative hucksters, extremists and special interests via their apathy

THIS.

You could argue both played a part. The Dems wanted DACA and were willing to hold the line for it.

Trump is such a piss poor dealmaker and has to contend with a divided GOP that even the best politician would have trouble with. Since the GOP control everything the blame will be on them. They got played big time by the Dems.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »

Chuck Schumer, Jewish, "big nosed face".

Hmm.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 01:30:45 PM »

The Right Wing
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2018, 04:07:15 PM by TexasGurl »

Nice fascist manifesto.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 01:36:05 PM »

Saw this on Twitter:

Republicans: Eat this piece of poop
Democrats: We are not going to eat that poop
NYT: Democrats turn down free meal
AP: Democrats refuse GOP peace offering
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 01:36:52 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2018, 04:07:33 PM by TexasGurl »

It's interesting to notice that in order to describe Schumer, you chose these following words: "big noise".

I truly wonder why!
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »

Obviously not Trump, since he is the greatest negotiator and deal maker of all time (the premise on which he was elected president despite having no relevant experience) and thus can never fail.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »

Trump plead with both sides not to let it happen.

LOL
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »

Christ I thought Reaganfan was "one of the good ones" too...

Republicans always find a way to disappoint me even when my expectations are rock bottom
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2018, 04:08:45 PM by TexasGurl »

-Big nosed Jews
-"All the people who don't agree with me are weak"
-"We don't need weak people in *country*"
-"Weakness hurts the greatness of our nation"

Sorry, I'm not one to scream "fascist'' at anyone I disagree with but this is blatant and pure fascism.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 01:59:29 PM »

I didn't say anything about Jewish people.

You didn't need to.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 02:02:01 PM »

Ray and David told me the real antisemites were on the left though, couldn't be!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2018, 02:07:13 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2018, 04:09:44 PM by TexasGurl »

While it's pretty clear that Democrats - who didn't vote with the Republicans to avoid the shutdown - want to put the blame on Trump for strategic reasons (they can do that, Republicans did the same with Obama), this debt-ceiling and shutdown thing is largely a systemic failure. With a little effort and common sense, it would be easy to find a working budget for a year or even longer.

Other than that, you are right on some points: Not only in the US, but also here are left-liberal parties such as the Democrats and the SPÖ, Greens etc. focusing too much on impoverished immigrants (who have *mostly* contributed nothing to the country, with some exceptions) and often bring crime and destruction to our countries + living off welfare, while the hard-working American or Austrian who paid into the system for 40 years can chug along with 1000€ in minimum pension (roughly the same level that an immigrant receives who has never paid into the system). Thank Goodness this unfairness is being tackled now step-by-step and it would be nice if our left-liberal parties would go back to their common sense policies in the 1970s or 1980s.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »

Yes, like I implied, it's an overused term. Which your comment fits perfectly.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2018, 02:15:53 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2018, 04:11:50 PM by TexasGurl »

While it's pretty clear that Democrats - who didn't vote with the Republicans to avoid the shutdown - want to put the blame on Trump for strategic reasons (they can do that, Republicans did the same with Obama), this debt-ceiling and shutdown thing is largely a systemic failure. With a little effort and common sense, it would be easy to find a working budget for a year or even longer.

Other than that, you are right on some points: Not only in the US, but also here are left-liberal parties such as the Democrats and the SPÖ, Greens etc. focusing too much on impoverished immigrants (who have *mostly* contributed nothing to the country, with some exceptions) and often bring crime and destruction to our countries + living off welfare, while the hard-working American or Austrian who paid into the system for 40 years can chug along with 1000€ in minimum pension (roughly the same level that an immigrant receives who has never paid into the system). Thank Goodness this unfairness is being tackled now step-by-step and it would be nice if our left-liberal parties would go back to their common sense policies in the 1970s or 1980s.

What changed? I mean Trump's election, Brexit, and the other things have been happening for a reason. We (the voters) are trying to snapback globally from what has occurred through ridiculously excessive immigration and de-industrialization the last 30 years, but my question is what the hell made it all happen in the first place?
super6646
Canada

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2018, 02:36:56 PM »

Republicans will say its the democrats, while democrats will say its the Republicans. XD

How about both?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 02:37:40 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2018, 04:10:19 PM by TexasGurl »

-Big nosed Jews
-"All the people who don't agree with me are weak"
-"We don't need weak people in *country*"
-"Weakness hurts the greatness of our nation"

Sorry, I'm not one to scream "fascist'' at anyone I disagree with but this is blatant and pure fascism.

Actually you did; we all heard your dog whistle.
And yes, others are correct. Your initial statement above sounds like something Hitler would say to "his people." You even included "military," "war," "weak physically" and all that other fascist bs.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 02:57:32 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2018, 04:10:42 PM by TexasGurl »

What changed? I mean Trump's election, Brexit, and the other things have been happening for a reason. We (the voters) are trying to snapback globally from what has occurred through ridiculously excessive immigration and de-industrialization the last 30 years, but my question is what the hell made it all happen in the first place?

I'm guessing your answer would be "immigrants and bankers".
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2018, 03:00:23 PM »

Democrats in the short-term, Republicans in the long-term for setting the precedent of shutting down the government in hopes of winning policy concessions.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't the GOP have chosen to use reconciliation to avoid this?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2018, 03:04:38 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2018, 04:11:00 PM by TexasGurl »

I'm guessing your answer would be "immigrants and bankers".
((())) right?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »

Reaganfan, what is your reaction to Trump turning down Schumer's Wall-for-DACA deal?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 04:13:48 PM »

Keep it on topic please.
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2018, 04:18:38 PM »

Reaganfan, what is your reaction to Trump turning down Schumer's Wall-for-DACA deal?

Why does anyone care what that hack thinks?

Republicans own Congress and the White House and they can't even pass a god damn budget. They're pathetic. I fully expect that the Democrats will be blamed, even though the Republicans also caused the shut down last time and they somehow won the Senate the following year.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2018, 04:19:08 PM »

The American electorate, who can barely be bothered to vote and who have let the political process be hijacked by performative hucksters, extremists and special interests via their apathy

Sad but true.  

For the poll, option 1 is the correct answer.  
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »

Democrats in the short-term, Republicans in the long-term for setting the precedent of shutting down the government in hopes of winning policy concessions.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't the GOP have chosen to use reconciliation to avoid this?

I don't remember if it was actually true or just some overanalyzed Twitter blabber, but isn't budgetary reconciliation requiring a simple majority limited to one use per year - and didn't they use it to pass tax reform? If both of those things are accurate, then there's the answer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies