2018 Congressional Generic Ballot and House Polls Megathread - the original
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:46:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Generic Ballot and House Polls Megathread - the original
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 96
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Generic Ballot and House Polls Megathread - the original  (Read 207580 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: May 20, 2018, 08:53:27 AM »

It is not I who has placed great emphasis on the generic vote this far out.  But the D advantage has been headed down.

Except for 2010 in midterms the GOP has run 3 to 4 points better than the final RCP average. We shall see.

Do you think Dems will underperform because they didn’t send out Moore’s yearbook solicitation of teenagers for independent scientific handwriting analysis, Arkansas Yankee? I remember your predicting that would doom Doug Jones. 😂
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1501 on: May 20, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1502 on: May 20, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »

That's a very odd way of asking questions...

Can we even count that as a generic ballot poll?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1503 on: May 20, 2018, 03:34:07 PM »

Yeah what do we do with the 9% that want republicans independent of Trump?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1504 on: May 20, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »

I don't see why not; I'd count it as D 45, R 43.  It's just more nuanced than the typical GCB question, just like some Trump approval polls separate strong approval/disapproval from somewhat approve/disapprove, but others don't.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1505 on: May 20, 2018, 03:38:32 PM »

I don't see why not; I'd count it as D 45, R 43.  It's just more nuanced than the typical GCB question, just like some Trump approval polls separate strong approval/disapproval from somewhat approve/disapprove, but others don't.

Previous CBS poll had D+9. Dems losing ground in both internet and high-quality polls with their 538 lead at its lowest point since May.
UncleSam

« Reply #1506 on: May 20, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »

so basically Dems are at +1 and most Rs support Trump, with lots of undecided voters. To convert that into a 7 point win Dems need to win Indy’s and undecided voters about 3-1 (which is roughly in line with their best performances in special elections). So a flip of the house is possible but unlikely under that scenario.

The Trump support number is very important though. It indicates that the Senate could be every bit as tough a lift for Dems as expected - I did not anticipate supporting Trump to have such a high portion.  Rs who want an independent voice are the best pickup opportunities for Manchin etc, and if they’re only 9% of the population it’s hard to see him or other deep red state Dems winning.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1507 on: May 20, 2018, 03:57:26 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2018, 04:11:33 PM by PittsburghSteel »

I think that 9% could pose a problem for the GOP. The Dems are running a lot of moderates and progressives in different districts they should try to target the disenfranchised Republicans like the 9% in the poll.

I still expect undecideds to break heavily for the Democrats.

Also, notice how they're using YouGov. They, along with Reuters, have been driving the GCB for the past couple of weeks.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1508 on: May 20, 2018, 04:08:48 PM »

Ipsos is a joke anymore.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1509 on: May 20, 2018, 04:42:37 PM »

Previous CBS poll had D+9. Dems losing ground in both internet and high-quality polls with their 538 lead at its lowest point since May.

Looks like this is YouGov rather than SSRS, so while both are affiliated with CBS it is not, technically, the same poll.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1510 on: May 20, 2018, 04:47:07 PM »

You can't count that as a GCB poll, because these options are mutually exclusive. Any actual congressional race can pit EITHER a Republican independent from or one loyal to Trump versus EITHER a liberal or a moderate Democrat.

Without knowing the distribution of races or the breakdown of these groups if their preferred option isn't on the ballot you don't know much.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1511 on: May 20, 2018, 09:39:29 PM »

Honestly RCP and 538 don't have a poll that is younger than 5 days ago. There has been a really dearth of polling
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1512 on: May 20, 2018, 10:47:09 PM »

I wonder how the polls will react with the Farm Bill Collapse and Santa Fe? Probably not much or at all, but I can hope.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1513 on: May 20, 2018, 11:41:13 PM »

http://polling.reuters.com/#!response/TM1212Y17/type/week/filters/PD1:1/dates/20180101-20180521/collapsed/true

GOP leading according to newest reuters poll if I am reading it right
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1514 on: May 20, 2018, 11:42:28 PM »

Reuters's new model is already discredited.
UncleSam

« Reply #1515 on: May 21, 2018, 03:26:30 AM »

What do you mean by discredited? As in you don’t like the results or there are known statistical issues with it? Do you have methodological problems with it? I’m not familiar with how Reuters does their poll.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1516 on: May 21, 2018, 07:31:50 AM »

I just...uhm...what?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1517 on: May 21, 2018, 08:35:09 AM »

What do you mean by discredited? As in you don’t like the results or there are known statistical issues with it? Do you have methodological problems with it? I’m not familiar with how Reuters does their poll.

I don’t think it’s discredited, but there’s been discussion over how they changed their model. If they did make tweaks, it’s derived multiple results that are very GOP friendly
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1518 on: May 21, 2018, 10:34:35 AM »

Yeah, the Pundits are scrutinizing the hell out of Reuters right now. That’s definitely not right.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1519 on: May 21, 2018, 10:54:06 AM »

Yes, obviously the Republicans are going to win the congressional ballot by 6 points in the 2018 midterms. We can all go home I guess!
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1520 on: May 21, 2018, 01:39:01 PM »

Yes, obviously the Republicans are going to win the congressional ballot by 6 points in the 2018 midterms. We can all go home I guess!
UncleSam

« Reply #1521 on: May 21, 2018, 02:55:21 PM »

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the poll is accurate. The question is, what is it about the methodology that is different? If it’s a matter of having a rosier turnout model for Rs but also just seeing shifting opinions toward Rs, then it should get thrown in the average. If it’s more experimental, than it shouldn’t be thrown in the average yet until we see how it moves and reacts to shifting opinions.

If the generic ballot is actually down to around even, then an R+5.5 or whatever poll isn’t out of the question. It’s also possible that their turnout model tilts a few (or more than a few) points to the right, making the information valuable in change terms of not in absolute or top line terms.

It’s also possible this is just an outlier like we see all the time. Remember that CNN poll with D+20 or whatever? That looks as out of place next to the average as this does now, just in the other direction.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1522 on: May 21, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the poll is accurate. The question is, what is it about the methodology that is different? If it’s a matter of having a rosier turnout model for Rs but also just seeing shifting opinions toward Rs, then it should get thrown in the average. If it’s more experimental, than it shouldn’t be thrown in the average yet until we see how it moves and reacts to shifting opinions.

If the generic ballot is actually down to around even, then an R+5.5 or whatever poll isn’t out of the question. It’s also possible that their turnout model tilts a few (or more than a few) points to the right, making the information valuable in change terms of not in absolute or top line terms.

It’s also possible this is just an outlier like we see all the time. Remember that CNN poll with D+20 or whatever? That looks as out of place next to the average as this does now, just in the other direction.

Yeah it’s worth recalling that CNN poll came out when the averages were more like D+10-11
UncleSam

« Reply #1523 on: May 21, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »

Yeah it’s worth recalling that CNN poll came out when the averages were more like D+10-11
Sure, but the difference was still 10 points or so off the average. R+5.5 is about the same in the other direction - should’ve been clear I meant adjusted for the difference in average.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1524 on: May 21, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »

FWIW, if you switch the filter on the Reuters poll to 5-day rolling average (which is used by the 538 aggregator), it shows R+1.4 (38.1-36.7).  Still surprising, but less so than the R+5.5 shown the other way.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies