New PA Maps In Effect
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:49:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New PA Maps In Effect
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46
Author Topic: New PA Maps In Effect  (Read 88138 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 02:50:19 AM »

Rick Hasen noted that Republicans seem to be indicating they will appeal to the US Supreme Court, even though such an appeal doesn't seem possible. He said they might try to argue that state courts don't have the authority to order new maps, which is the legislature's power. It's not out of the question that the Supreme Court would take the case.

Wasn't this issue already resolved by the Supreme Court, in favor of a loose understanding of the term "legislature"?

I think the idea was that that case concerned the legislature, and now this one would concern state courts. It seems kind of stupid to me, but quite frankly, I could see them doing it. Accepting the case and thus ending the chance of fair maps for PA this year would absolutely stink to high heaven of partisanship though, and I know Roberts likes to try and manage the perception of the court, so I'd hope he would consider that before accepting some silly appeal that seems destined to conclude the way we all think (re: courts can order new maps. who knew!). I could have interpreted it wrong, but it seems like Hasen was thinking something about partisanship as well. I really don't think federal judge(s) are above that - particularly when it comes to election law, where the results always seem to break down along such predictable partisan lines. So in this case, I'm just hoping they let state courts deal with their own state matters.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 03:07:44 AM »

Rick Hasen noted that Republicans seem to be indicating they will appeal to the US Supreme Court, even though such an appeal doesn't seem possible. He said they might try to argue that state courts don't have the authority to order new maps, which is the legislature's power. It's not out of the question that the Supreme Court would take the case.

Wasn't this issue already resolved by the Supreme Court, in favor of a loose understanding of the term "legislature"?

I think the idea was that that case concerned the legislature, and now this one would concern state courts. It seems kind of stupid to me, but quite frankly, I could see them doing it. Accepting the case and thus ending the chance of fair maps for PA this year would absolutely stink to high heaven of partisanship though, and I know Roberts likes to try and manage the perception of the court, so I'd hope he would consider that before accepting some silly appeal that seems destined to conclude the way we all think (re: courts can order new maps. who knew!). I could have interpreted it wrong, but it seems like Hasen was thinking something about partisanship as well. I really don't think federal judge(s) are above that - particularly when it comes to election law, where the results always seem to break down along such predictable partisan lines. So in this case, I'm just hoping they let state courts deal with their own state matters.

I mean, Kennedy is a moronic hack, but I'd hope he's at least consistent enough to stay on the course he began to chart in the Arizona decision. Hopefully.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 04:05:12 AM »

Can someone post the current map with a reasonable map?

I see a fair map might make the state 9-9, what is it now?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 02:40:48 AM »

Giving the sh!tty precedents set in the past few months, I think PA GOPer's throw this one to the bureaucracy of the scotus to save their a$$es again, because they appreciate a rigged system, much like MD dem legislature, egregious as well!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 02:43:09 PM »

A fair map would probably end up 8D-10R at best in a neutral year. Unfortunately there is a lot of Democrat self-packing in the cities.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 02:46:16 PM »

The court will throw it to the legislature and Wolf will veto maps and the court will end up drawing the maps.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 03:11:32 PM »

A fair map would probably end up 8D-10R at best in a neutral year. Unfortunately there is a lot of Democrat self-packing in the cities.

I don't mean to single you out, and I understand why this term came up in the context of drawing congressional lines, but there is a lot of unintended euphemism involved in describing racial housing patterns in Philadelphia as Democrat self-packing.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 03:32:08 PM »

Unless they do what Illinois did which was to unpack the city to mitigate the Democratic self-packing disadvantage (which is what they should do).
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 03:38:34 PM »

Unless they do what Illinois did which was to unpack the city to mitigate the Democratic self-packing disadvantage (which is what they should do).

Never use Madigan's lines as a ideal. Never.

As I have said before, a fair map would be around:

4 Titanium D (>D+12), 1 Solid D (~D+7), 4 Tossup (D+2 - R+2), 2 Solid R (R+6 - R+8) 7 Titanium R (>R+12)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 03:43:25 PM »

The Democrat party proposed an equally squiggly map in their 2011 proposal for congressional redistricting. Bygones I suppose.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 04:06:30 PM »

Never use Madigan's lines as a ideal. Never.

As I have said before, a fair map would be around:

4 Titanium D (>D+12), 1 Solid D (~D+7), 4 Tossup (D+2 - R+2), 2 Solid R (R+6 - R+8) 7 Titanium R (>R+12)

You know it's a fair map when it takes winning all 4 tossups to get a 50-50 delegation in an evenly divided swing seat.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2018, 04:23:33 PM by Brittain33 »

The current map was passed with democrat support from members such as Bob Brady and Jason Altmire.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 04:45:23 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2018, 05:04:27 PM by Torie »

Fair map that I drew (the black lines outline multi county metro areas under a definition slightly different from the census definition to exclude more rural counties):

Current map:

The difference is that the Dems pick up PA-07, and get closer in PA-15, and PA-06 perhaps, than under the current map, along with getting a bit better in PA-17 of all places, given the exclusion from it of Schuylkill County.  The Pubs get stronger in PA-16, moving it out of the potentially marginal category as time goes by. PA, as time went by, had a hideous map that more and more seemed like much sound and fury generating not all that much for the perps that drew it. The Dems could get 9 seats however, if they win all four of the CD's that are reasonably subject to changing hands under certain circumstances that are short of a wave.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 04:06:49 AM »

I don't mean to single you out, and I understand why this term came up in the context of drawing congressional lines, but there is a lot of unintended euphemism involved in describing racial housing patterns in Philadelphia as Democrat self-packing.

Noted, but do you have a better term in mind? Because I don't think people should have to go into a lengthy dissertation about the long-term impact of systematic racism in US housing policies every time they are discussing congressional redistricting.

...which would still be a gerrymander.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2018, 06:21:02 AM »

The current map was passed with democrat support from members such as Bob Brady and Jason Altmire.

Has your pedo pal conceded yet?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »

Victory for America!

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 01:36:16 PM »

Victory for America!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 01:39:49 PM »

oh hell yes HELL YES
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 01:40:21 PM »

Victory for America!

Well, lets see what happens next - team R won't take this lying down. I will post a PA map later then...
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »

Major blow to the GOP.
kph14
Germany

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2018, 01:41:14 PM »

The special election will be held under the old plan
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2018, 01:43:10 PM »

Somebody check Krazen's pulse.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2018, 01:43:18 PM »

How many GOP seats are at risk under a fair map?
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2018, 01:43:49 PM »

Hopefully Wolf holds strong and vetos any plan coming from the lege and allow the courts to draw the map.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2018, 01:43:56 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2018, 02:04:16 PM by ajc0918 »

I checked it. Great pulse!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies