Chelsea Manning running against Cardin (MD-Sen)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:14:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chelsea Manning running against Cardin (MD-Sen)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: Chelsea Manning running against Cardin (MD-Sen)  (Read 21621 times)
fluffypanther19
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »

good Lordy I missed an absolute disaster of a thread.... this was bad even by atlas standards
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »

People who work for the federal government also live in Maryland. A lot of them are Democrats. They don't view Chelsea Manning as a hero. Trust me.
seriously, this would be a colossal f@ckup by the dems wtf

How? In the event she somehow wins the primary, then obviously your concerns over government employees/black voters not supporting her would be proven unsubstantiated. She'd cruise through the general.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »

Bradass87 for Senate! Democrats' very own Roy Moore
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2018, 12:45:34 PM »

Chelsea has been posting some of her policy positions on Twitter today and she's running very, very far left: she supports a universal basic income and dismantling ICE and Customs/border police. On January 10 on Twitter, she referred to ICE as "the new gestapo."
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2018, 12:59:28 PM »

Chelsea has been posting some of her policy positions on Twitter today and she's running very, very far left: she supports a universal basic income and dismantling ICE and Customs/border police. On January 10 on Twitter, she referred to ICE as "the new gestapo."

This isn't a realistic policy position and plays into the conservative strawman of the Left. Like it or not, ICE and CBP need to exist in some form because otherwise human trafficking and smuggling of endangered species and cultural treasures would run amok.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2018, 01:09:30 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2018, 08:03:23 PM by America's Sweetheart ❤ »

I still find it hilarious that a TRANSWOMAN is considered some sort of Russian spy.

I guarantee you she hates Russia and Putin.

Then why did she aid a staunch Putin ally and likely FSB asset?

Because the gave the info to the NYT and WaPo first and they did nothing with it? And acting like she should have known everything we know now about WikiLeaks in 2018 way back in 2010 is an extremely bad faith line of criticism, and straight-up revisionist history?
If Moore can lose in a state that's as red as Maryland is blue, and even less elastic than Maryland is, then a far-left person who was pardoned for treason can lose in Maryland. Blacks are not going to turn out for a transgender woman who also has all this extra baggage. I would remind you that only a slim majority of African-American voters approve of same-sex marriage, and on top of this, Manning only appeals to braindead millennials  who do not turn out under most any circumstances.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »

Yessss!!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »

This isn't a realistic policy position and plays into the conservative strawman of the Left. Like it or not, ICE and CBP need to exist in some form because otherwise human trafficking and smuggling of endangered species and cultural treasures would run amok.

ICE is a corrupt entity ran and staffed by America's worst cops. It should absolutely be dismantled, with it's actually important duties shuffled off to better ran agencies.

Also UBI is no longer a very, very, far left position and hasn't been for a while.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »

I still find it hilarious that a TRANSWOMAN is considered some sort of Russian spy.

Because the gave the info to the NYT and WaPo first and they did nothing with it? And acting like she should have known everything we know now about WikiLeaks in 2018 way back in 2010 is an extremely bad faith line of criticism, and straight-up revisionist history?
If Moore can lose in a state that's as red as Maryland is blue, and even pess elastic than Maryland is, then a far-left person who was pardoned for treason can lose in Maryland. Blacks are not going to turn out for a transgender woman who also has all this extra baggage. I would remind you that only a slim majority of African-American voters approve of same-sex marriage, and on top of this, Manning only appeals to braindead millennials  who do not turn out under most any circumstances.

Actually,  African Americans are more supportive of gay marriage (10-20 points more iirc) and likely trans rights as well. They also aren't going to decide whether to show up entirely based on Manning. Not to mention that being a whistle-blower who exposed human rights abuses isn't a downside to everyone, and I doubt it's more of a liability than child-rape (if it is we should just nuke the US into oblivion tbh). Plus Moore barely lost in a D+10 environment.

Also the idea that Manning only appeals to "brain dead millennials" is absurd.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2018, 02:18:09 PM »

If Moore can lose in a state that's as red as Maryland is blue, and even pess elastic than Maryland is, then a far-left person who was pardoned for treason can lose in Maryland. Blacks are not going to turn out for a transgender woman who also has all this extra baggage. I would remind you that only a slim majority of African-American voters approve of same-sex marriage, and on top of this, Manning only appeals to braindead millennials  who do not turn out under most any circumstances.

Actually,  African Americans are more supportive of gay marriage (10-20 points more iirc) and likely trans rights as well.
Incording to pew data:

Year   White Black

2004   31%   21%
2005   37%   27%
2006   35%   25%
2007   38%   26%
2008   41%   26%
2009   37%   29%
2010   44%   30%
2011   49%   36%
2012   49%   40%
2013   50%   38%
2014   53%   42%
2015   58%   39%
2016   57%   42%
2017   64%   51%
PEW RESEARCH CENTER

Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »

ICE is a corrupt entity ran and staffed by America's worst cops. It should absolutely be dismantled, with it's actually important duties shuffled off to better ran agencies.

Also UBI is no longer a very, very, far left position and hasn't been for a while.

I apologize, I was under the impression it was. I never hear about it. Have any elected officials in the US been championing it?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2018, 02:23:59 PM »

This is the same kind of nonsense SYRIZA was advocating before winning the election.
The the Syria refugee crisis began and of course they reversed course instantly. Reality has it's own way to expose frauds and kooks.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2018, 02:26:51 PM »

I apologize, I was under the impression it was. I never hear about it. Have any elected officials in the US been championing it?

Gotta love the circular reasoning. "This position is extreme because very few elected officials advocate it, which is why we shouldn't elect officials who advocate it."
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2018, 02:27:46 PM »

Ro Khanna + Bernie Sanders. Tech CEO's like Musk and Zuckerberg are big advocates for it. It's the kinda thing where eventually, as automation grows, it's going to be a bigger and bigger issue and you'll see more Democrats stop giving non-committal answers.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2018, 02:33:57 PM »

seriously, many of her proposals are non-starters; at least in this political environment
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2018, 02:43:34 PM »

Cardin probably wins somewhere around 70-30 if not by more.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2018, 02:54:45 PM »

If Moore can lose in a state that's as red as Maryland is blue, and even pess elastic than Maryland is, then a far-left person who was pardoned for treason can lose in Maryland. Blacks are not going to turn out for a transgender woman who also has all this extra baggage. I would remind you that only a slim majority of African-American voters approve of same-sex marriage, and on top of this, Manning only appeals to braindead millennials  who do not turn out under most any circumstances.

Actually,  African Americans are more supportive of gay marriage (10-20 points more iirc) and likely trans rights as well.
Incording to pew data:

Year   White Black

2004   31%   21%
2005   37%   27%
2006   35%   25%
2007   38%   26%
2008   41%   26%
2009   37%   29%
2010   44%   30%
2011   49%   36%
2012   49%   40%
2013   50%   38%
2014   53%   42%
2015   58%   39%
2016   57%   42%
2017   64%   51%
PEW RESEARCH CENTER

On everything except legal recognition of marriages blacks are more liberal than whites. I was probably misremembering.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »

Gotta love the circular reasoning. "This position is extreme because very few elected officials advocate it, which is why we shouldn't elect officials who advocate it."

I'm just trying to be polite about something I don't understand. Publicunofficial's reply helped a lot and I'm looking at stuff about it now.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2018, 03:02:20 PM »

ICE definitely needs wholesale reform, top to bottom (CBP less so), but I think the “abolish them!” plank is essentially saying “no border or immigration enforcement ever,” aka open borders, which while popular on the far left is a remarkably politically unsustainable position. Not that I think publicunionofficial is advocating, but I suspect that that’s Ms. Manning’s actual position that she’s nodding towards
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »

Yeah it's like the difference between prison abolitionists and people who simply want to end solitary confinement, mandatory minimums, etc.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2018, 09:11:47 PM »

Thank God Maryland democratic primaries are largely made up of African Americans and Government and Military Industry Complex workers. They are not going to stand for this bs! They will demolish Manning!
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2018, 09:52:08 PM »

Thank God Maryland democratic primaries are largely made up of African Americans and Government and Military Industry Complex workers. They are not going to stand for this bs! They will demolish Manning!

Never thought I'd see a red avatar quote the phrase "Thank God for the military-industrial complex".
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2018, 10:38:29 PM »

Never thought I'd see a red avatar quote the phrase "Thank God for the military-industrial complex".
Maybe try and understand this issue at more than a surface level. Yes, the military contractors are an unfortunate reality in the states around DC. However, the fact remains that they provide a lot of jobs for us and rarely lay off people. War is often profitable.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2018, 12:16:44 AM »

Maybe try and understand this issue at more than a surface level. Yes, the military contractors are an unfortunate reality in the states around DC. However, the fact remains that they provide a lot of jobs for us and rarely lay off people. War is often profitable.

I think that is literally the most surface-level take you could have on the military industrial complex.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2018, 12:27:38 AM »

I honestly would vote for Cardin if I were in MD. That should say something.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies