Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:21:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope  (Read 68015 times)
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 13, 2017, 02:28:55 AM »

I'm still astonished that Jefferson county went 68-30 for Jones... after only voting for Clinton by 7.

Jones really over-performed there.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:33:29 AM »

Erick Erickson, Guy Benson, Stephen Miller and their crew on Twitter are trying to spin this as a Republican win because (paraphrasing): "Jones will only serve one term in a deadlocked Congress. Republicans dodged a bullet." It amazes me than anyone can think of this as anything other than a win for Democrats and Jones. With Jones in the Senate, Republicans can only risk losing one vote from their caucus, this eases the fight to win back the Senate in 2018 for Democrats, and it emboldens the grassroots and  will inspire more candidates to run all over.

To be fair, they may have dodged a bullet in the long run, because they won't have Moore hanging around their necks. Still a huge victory overall for Democrats, makes things much tougher for congressional GOP policy wise.

Also, you should probably reference which Stephen Miller you're talking about in case anyone gets confused.

No. Trump and the RNC still went all in on a pedophile, and Jones winning doesn't change that. Sure, it staves off embarrassing tirades by Moore from the Senate floor, but no one in another state ever changed their vote because Louie Gohmert said some nutty thing, so why would they for Roy Moore if he had won?

If anything, Jones winning should embolden Democrats in theoretically more winnable races like Texas and Tennessee, if the turnout differentials are any indication at all. Jones got at least 5 points more than Clinton in every county, and in Texas, where Clinton got 43% of the vote, O'Rourke getting 5% more than Clinton in every county would make that race a tossup. Similar thing also coincidentally happened in virginia where Northam got 4% more than Clinton.
As for your signature, I agree that Cruz and Blackburn can certainly lose... if they're outed as pedophiles.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:40:00 AM »

Erick Erickson, Guy Benson, Stephen Miller and their crew on Twitter are trying to spin this as a Republican win because (paraphrasing): "Jones will only serve one term in a deadlocked Congress. Republicans dodged a bullet." It amazes me than anyone can think of this as anything other than a win for Democrats and Jones. With Jones in the Senate, Republicans can only risk losing one vote from their caucus, this eases the fight to win back the Senate in 2018 for Democrats, and it emboldens the grassroots and  will inspire more candidates to run all over.

To be fair, they may have dodged a bullet in the long run, because they won't have Moore hanging around their necks. Still a huge victory overall for Democrats, makes things much tougher for congressional GOP policy wise.

Also, you should probably reference which Stephen Miller you're talking about in case anyone gets confused.

No. Trump and the RNC still went all in on a pedophile, and Jones winning doesn't change that. Sure, it staves off embarrassing tirades by Moore from the Senate floor, but no one in another state ever changed their vote because Louie Gohmert said some nutty thing, so why would they for Roy Moore if he had won?

If anything, Jones winning should embolden Democrats in theoretically more winnable races like Texas and Tennessee, if the turnout differentials are any indication at all. Jones got at least 5 points more than Clinton in every county, and in Texas, where Clinton got 43% of the vote, O'Rourke getting 5% more than Clinton in every county would make that race a tossup. Similar thing also coincidentally happened in virginia where Northam got 4% more than Clinton.
As for your signature, I agree that Cruz and Blackburn can certainly lose... if they're outed as pedophiles.

Turnout differentials in Texas.

And in TN, Bredesen is arguably of stronger candidate quality than Jones. And Blackburn isn't exactly one that's gonna win over many disaffected Trump 2016 voters.

To be sure though, I still would rate them both as lean/likely R.
Texas is possible in a perfect storm scenario, because Cruz is extremely unpopular with almost everyone, but Tennessee is a different story. I don't think Bredesen wins unless Blackburn has a major scandal or says something really, really stupid (even by her standards).
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 02:43:18 AM »

Turnout differentials in Texas.

And in TN, Bredesen is arguably of stronger candidate quality than Jones. And Blackburn isn't exactly one that's gonna win over many disaffected Trump 2016 voters.

To be sure though, I still would rate them both as lean/likely R.
Texas is possible in a perfect storm scenario, because Cruz is extremely unpopular with almost everyone, but Tennessee is a different story. I don't think Bredesen wins unless Blackburn has a major scandal or says something really, really stupid (even by her standards).

And I am guessing Bredesen knows something we don't on that front. He's not a fool on a suicide mission, after all.😉
Either that or he's like most people who seek political office - a huge narcissist who will do anything to attain status.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 02:44:18 AM »

I'm still astonished that Jefferson county went 68-30 for Jones... after only voting for Clinton by 7.

Jones really over-performed there.
I'm sure Birmingham proper was overrepresented in tonight's result. Not to mention the hugely popular new and young mayor of Birmingham working hard to get people out for Jones. The numbers were amazing. I can't wait until another generation passes and the South becomes the new battleground.
I'm personally hoping that the entire South eventually becomes solidly Democratic, but just because that would look aesthetically pleasing on a map.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »

Remember when Robert Kennedy was winning the primary race by 20 points?

Indeed, a Kennedy v Moore race would have been really interesting.
Kennedy probably would have lost. I doubt he would have ran a masterful campaign like Jones did.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 01:49:52 PM »

Kennedy would’ve been a good alternative. I believe his pitch was that he was a standard conservative but, influenced by the Civil Rights Era, he thought the government should get more involved. He is definitely more conservative than Jones.

Regardless, we don’t know if he would’ve won. With Jones, however, we know.
Jones really ran a near-flawless campaign, and even if he was more conservative, I think Kennedy likely would have made some mistakes that could have cost him the election, considering how close it was - because he was a total rookie and had no experience really campaigning or running for office, whereas Jones knew exactly what he was doing.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 05:05:12 PM »

It seems that certain people can't accept that their side can possibly lose without it being cheating:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lol, and these people called Hillary a sore loser.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 08:47:37 PM »

Why did Jones make inroads in heavily white areas of Alabama. In Jackson County in mountainous NE part of state he got 30% Hillary got 17%. Franklin county he got 29% Hillary got 18%. This is deeply conservative Alabama.
Because that's about what you'd expect when you go from a 28% Republican win to a 1.5% Democratic win.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 08:50:49 PM »

Here's the swing map from the 2016 presidential election:

That's really rather remarkable.
Isn't it what you'd expect though, when you go from R+28 to D+1.5?
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 01:18:34 AM »

Isn't it what you'd expect though, when you go from R+28 to D+1.5?

Because that's about what you'd expect when you go from a 28% Republican win to a 1.5% Democratic win.

No offense, but you're essentially answering the question "why'd we win?" with "because we won".
Yeah, those comments seem a bit silly when you put them together.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »

her far-left comrades were badmouthing him
He must have... I imagine he reads every tweet or statement that Sanders puts out, religiously.
Source? TYT, PFB, etc. were all pushing hard for Jones.
'
I recall one Medium article from some far lefty saying Jones shouldn't be supported.

But that was a huge outlier from what I can tell.

There were enough Bernie bros on twitter who denounced Jones as another corporatist Dem. Even today, while Sanders himself comically tried to take credit for his victory, many of his supporters were bemoaning the fact that another "centrist" Dem won instead of a "true progressive". They even said that him winning by "only" 1.5 point against a child molester proves that they were right and Jones was a terrible candidate.

Huh

Have you read his statement about Jones' win?
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »

I know this video has a ton of garbage but the first 20 seconds are real.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0AxVXM2Lts4

I think there is some voter fraud but I still think Doug Jones but by much less.
Alabama has some of the toughest voter ID laws in the nation.
This also ends the idea that voter ID is about stopping voter fraud, because right wingers will still claim there was some sort of fraud whenever their candidate loses.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 04:04:38 PM »

Greedo, you've been wrong about everything you ever said, you can't write legible English and you don't have a grasp of basic morality. Just stop expressing yourself, you have nothing worth saying and you also can't say things because you suck at language.
I never said the race was rigged but that there seems to be voter fraud going around,Doug Jones did win but that guy said he and others came from all over the country to vote for Doug Jones.
How does a single guy saying something matter? if I say that I helped the Clinton campaign bus in 3,0000 Mexicans so she could win the popular vote, does that make you believe it?
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 04:14:11 PM »

I think this thread is beginning to get off Alabama.  I realize everything can be related to everything else, but things are stretching a bit.
Well duh. the election is over so there's not as much to discuss regarding this race.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »

"Blank" got 9 votes (does this mean 9 people wrote in the word, or that 9 people left a blank ballot)
"a competent conservative: got 1 vote
"Neither" got 1 vote
Ronald Reagan got 1 vote
Bugs Bunny got 1 vote
Buddy the Elf got 1 vote
Red Squirrel got 1 vote
"Overvote" got 1 vote (does this mean someone wrote in the word, or that it is an actual overvote)
This Competent Conservative fellow sounds interesting.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 08:16:03 PM »

"Blank" got 9 votes (does this mean 9 people wrote in the word, or that 9 people left a blank ballot)
"a competent conservative: got 1 vote
"Neither" got 1 vote
Ronald Reagan got 1 vote
Bugs Bunny got 1 vote
Buddy the Elf got 1 vote
Red Squirrel got 1 vote
"Overvote" got 1 vote (does this mean someone wrote in the word, or that it is an actual overvote)
This Competent Conservative fellow sounds interesting.

But is he a stronger candidate than Generic Republican?
Yeah, there are some rumors about Generic Republicans' shady past, I won't post them here because they're extremely salacious, but even if these aren't proven, I think Competent Conservative is the stronger candidate here.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 04:06:02 PM »

>Not listed due to graphic language
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 05:21:32 PM »

SORE LOSER
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 09:19:37 PM »

I don't see why democrats are joyful about the results. Yes Doug won, but it took everything the democrat had to win a narrow victory against a guy who should have been blown out of the water.

Martha Coakley also sucked hard as a candidate but that didn't prevent Republicans from celebrating Scott Brown's win, or the media talking about "Democrats in disarray".

There is a big difference between Martha Coakley and Roy Moore.
Martha Coakley would have lost much worse in Alabama.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »

You guys are so blind to what I am saying. Doug Jones only won because Roy Moore is a child rapist. If another candidate was on the ballot he would have lost badly. This race had nothing to do with people not liking republicans and wanting change or whatever. It was all about Roy Moore and his actions.
I think Moore would've won if Clinton was in the White House right now, as Republican voters would've been more energized and seen him as a check on her "liberal" policies.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 10:39:11 PM »

I don't see why democrats are joyful about the results. Yes Doug won, but it took everything the democrat had to win a narrow victory against a guy who should have been blown out of the water.
What would be the appropriate reaction for you, sir? Roll Eyes

At the end of the day, the Democrats have an extra senate seat. How it was achieved is irrelevant at this point.

My point is, y’all are acting like this means the death of the Republicans and 2018 is going to be a blood bath. That isn’t true. It took everything the Democratic Party has to bet a child rapist.

Even if Republicans had nominated a normal candidate, Jones wouldn't have lost by more than 10 points. Which for a Democrat in Alabama would have been an amazing result.

Jones would have lost by like 20% against Strange.

You guys are so blind to what I am saying. Doug Jones only won because Roy Moore is a child rapist. If another candidate was on the ballot he would have lost badly. This race had nothing to do with people not liking republicans and wanting change or whatever. It was all about Roy Moore and his actions.
I think Moore would've won if Clinton was in the White House right now, as Republican voters would've been more energized and seen him as a check on her "liberal" policies.

Clinton would not have appointed Sessions as Attorney General so this election would not have happened in that case.  Your point is invalid.
My God, how did I overlook that part?
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »

Roy Moore was an extremely unpopular officer during 'Nam, to the point where he would have to barricade his tent with sandbags, just so a live grenade wouldn't pop up in his tent while he was sleeping.

...wow.
It's not that surprising tbh
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »

Will sore loser Moore ever concede?
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »

Leigh Corfman got a write-in vote in Etowah County.
Whoever did that is a FF.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies