Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:42:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 27
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope  (Read 68303 times)
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2017, 02:24:24 AM »

Also a good time to point out that AL-05 (Northern Alabama) was represented by a Democrat until  2009.

Interesting. Parker Griffith was elected as a Democrat in 2008 (following Bud Cramer's (D) retirement), but switched in 2009. Griffith then lost the Republican primary in 2010 to Mo Brooks who continues to hold the seat.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2017, 02:27:21 AM »

Disappointed moore lost but now icespear maybe will finally shut up.

The reports going around are saying Moore is waiting on military ballots any idea how many there are?

Not over 20,000, and they're not all going to Moore even if there are.

Nominate a decent human being next time if you want to have a chance at winning.

As I posted earlier there aren't that many out there that didn't arrive by election day (Maybe 3-5k?)

The other item to consider logically is that the vast majority of Military ballots are coming from age and ethnic backgrounds where Moore got his arse kicked, so even if hypothetically these small number of Military ballots narrowly lean Moore, to paraphrase some 'Dem Pol from the '90s "It's the Arithmetic stupid"....

The Officer Class tends to be quite a bit Older and Whiter in the US Military, and get their overseas Military ballots in the Mail early....

Enlisted Men and Women, don't necessarily have that same luxury.... "Rank Has it's Privileges" (RHIP) and all the crap.

Hell if Roy Moore is betting his Cowboy Hat on his experience in 'Nam, where he was so unpopular among Enlisted Men that even as an officer in the Marine Corp he was essentially potentially Ground Zero of a Fragging...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fragging

Sorry, he was a piss ant Officer during the War, comes back home with ribbons on his chest, despite the condemnation of many who served with him.

Decides to leverage things after the War with all those medals and next thing you know runs for political office, and become a DA of a relatively small County, starts to harass and assault Minors when he's the top Law Enforcement official....

Alabama has a new Sheriff in town.... time to drain the swap and take the primeval ooze scraping off the boots, wipe them down careful and throw them in the Hazardous Waste special disposal container at the plant where they belong.

I smell a New South arising...

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2017, 02:49:18 AM »

Perhaps it might be better to say the New South is coming back. When the Greatest Generation became the dominant force in the South you had some rather legendary politicians replace the Segregationists. People like Baker, Nunn, Sanford, etc, and these were referred to as the politicians of the New South.

Or better yet:
THE NEW SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2017, 04:09:08 AM »

Here are my initial calculations on the white vote. Thankfully, AL records registrations by race, which made my starting position more accurate than it would have been otherwise - not sure if they release voter turnout by race and county in the weeks following an election, but if so, that'll help make this projection more accurate.

These two maps show the same thing: the one on the left was the first one I made with 5-point gradients, but I decided to break it down into 1-point gradients on the right to make the differences between counties more visible (at the expense of making every county where whites were <15% D colorless)

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2017, 06:18:42 AM »

We just got the most important Demographic breakdown from FOX:

Alabama fans: Moore +6
Auburn fans: Jones +2
Non-football fans: Jones +30
What percentage of voters are non-football fans? Isn't that about like polling Jewish voters in Alabama?

I got the full question (FOX is now doing an alternative to traditional exit polling, so its numbers are sometimes different from the exit poll- the most notable was that it suggested a somewhat bigger age gap than the exit polls did):

Alabama fans (47%): Moore 52-46
Auburn fans (19%): Jones 50-48
Fans of both (12%): Moore 52-47
Fans of neither (21%): Jones 60-39
So it would be fans of UAB, South Alabama, Troy, Alabama A&M, Samford, or even those who favor Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, etc., rather than those who completely deny the existence of Football.

You missed JSU
That's one mixed up school. Named after a city in Florida, with a mascot from South Carolina, they play in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Apologies also to Alabama State, and to North Alabama.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2017, 08:39:22 AM »

It seems that certain people can't accept that their side can possibly lose without it being cheating:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As a black person myself from MS, also underage, I can confirm that it was true. What more could I say? Jones needed us to do the dirty stuff. Tongue

And here's how you did it!  https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/941083157712969728

(This is a great takedown, and few people deserve it more than Bill Mitchell.)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2017, 09:32:07 AM »

The reports going around are saying Moore is waiting on military ballots any idea how many there are?

Not only are there not going to be 20k military ballots, Moore edge in military ballots won't be large enough to shrink Jones victory margin by 20k.   
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »

Not only are there not going to be 20k military ballots, Moore edge in military ballots won't be large enough to shrink Jones victory margin by 20k.   

Right, the military vote won't go 100% for any candidate, let alone one like Moore.  Huntsville has a large military presence, and Moore didn't do very well there.

Also, the overseas ballots that were received before Election Day would have been counted with other absentee ballots.  Only ballots received after Election Day would remain to be counted (I think they must be postmarked by Election Day and received within 7 days after to be counted, but not 100% sure of that).

And finally, not all overseas ballots are "military".  Some of them will be civilians who happen to be out of the country at the time of the election.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #233 on: December 14, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »

You know what else has gone up?

The number of Roy Moore's accusers
You know what else has gone up?

His polling numbers! And Dems can only cry about it! You got nothing. You lose. Trump. Karen Handel. The immigration ban. The embassy. And AL-Sen. It is all happening.

Great honer friends!

Seeing all these posts from the pedophile apologists is bringing a smile to my face.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2017, 09:57:19 AM »

How many votes are left to be counted from over seas?
jman123
« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »

What part of the state did Jones make inroads among whites?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2017, 10:36:25 AM »

Hilarious, as are the R->D swings in the suburbs and urban areas. Yet another one-off?

LOL, I know you have long predicted such a "realignment" (and, I'd go so far as to say you want it for some reason), but how is it "hilarious"?  I'll go ahead and predict, not so boldly, that a non-accused-pedophile Republican beats Jones with b oth of those income brackets.  Agree?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »

Hilarious, as are the R->D swings in the suburbs and urban areas. Yet another one-off?

LOL, I know you have long predicted such a "realignment" (and, I'd go so far as to say you want it for some reason), but how is it "hilarious"?  I'll go ahead and predict, not so boldly, that a non-accused-pedophile Republican beats Jones with b oth of those income brackets.  Agree?

Plus, Moore's best income group was 100-200K.  Those people aren't exactly poor either (and are far more numerous than the group above them).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #238 on: December 14, 2017, 11:13:33 AM »

Here are some swings from Birmingham's suburbs.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #239 on: December 14, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »

Once again, don't show RINO Tom.

Amazing swings for Jones in White Bham suburbs though.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #240 on: December 14, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »

Where did you find this glorious info?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #241 on: December 14, 2017, 11:27:09 AM »

Where did you find this glorious info?

It was posted on twitter by a 538 guy.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #242 on: December 14, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »

Called it

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #243 on: December 14, 2017, 11:41:19 AM »

I know this has become a fun meme for you guys and whenever I respond to defend myself, you guys just mock me ... but why would you say "don't show" me?  Do you think I wasn't expecting this?  Or that it upsets me?  LOL, I would hope everyone of all income brackets, geographic aras and ideologies could unite against a pedophile creep with a terrible understanding of our Constitution.  All I said is that I don't think Jones would have performed that well against a Republican who wasn't accused of the same things as Moore ... how on EARTH is that controversial here?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #244 on: December 14, 2017, 11:45:41 AM »

Here are my initial calculations on the white vote. Thankfully, AL records registrations by race, which made my starting position more accurate than it would have been otherwise - not sure if they release voter turnout by race and county in the weeks following an election, but if so, that'll help make this projection more accurate.

These two maps show the same thing: the one on the left was the first one I made with 5-point gradients, but I decided to break it down into 1-point gradients on the right to make the differences between counties more visible (at the expense of making every county where whites were <15% D colorless)

Thank you!

Very interesting to see some of Jones' worst counties actually didn't have his worst performances with whites. Likewise, some counties he actually won gave him worse numbers with whites.

And Lee county being Jones' second best performance with whites is surprising and should worry Republicans.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2017, 11:48:09 AM »

I know this has become a fun meme for you guys and whenever I respond to defend myself, you guys just mock me ... but why would you say "don't show" me?  Do you think I wasn't expecting this?  Or that it upsets me?  LOL, I would hope everyone of all income brackets, geographic aras and ideologies could unite against a pedophile creep with a terrible understanding of our Constitution.  All I said is that I don't think Jones would have performed that well against a Republican who wasn't accused of the same things as Moore ... how on EARTH is that controversial here?

That's too much to ask for if you look at ExtremeConservative's signature.

Unfortunately, I know this ... honestly, 99% of the things you guys make fun of me for "disagreeing with you guys" on ... I don't.  None of that has a bearing on my registration in the state of Iowa or my approval of the Illinois GOP, of course, but that's another discussion.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #246 on: December 14, 2017, 11:52:13 AM »
« Edited: December 14, 2017, 11:55:21 AM by Del Tachi »

But that wasn't what happened.  Moore actually overperformed his benchmarks through North Alabama and the Wiregrass with rural, working class White voters even though you think these people are Democrats.

Obviously, yes, you are correct that the unique circumstances in this race do not make it especially exportable to other races looking forward.  However, it is a continuation of the trends we saw put into motion last year.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #247 on: December 14, 2017, 11:53:34 AM »

That's too much to ask for if you look at ExtremeConservative's signature.

Unfortunately, I know this ... honestly, 99% of the things you guys make fun of me for "disagreeing with you guys" on ... I don't.  None of that has a bearing on my registration in the state of Iowa or my approval of the Illinois GOP, of course, but that's another discussion.

I think you need to bring out your sock accounts for moral support ASAP Tongue
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #248 on: December 14, 2017, 11:55:06 AM »

Jones job in 2020 is to keep his support in those Birmingham burbs (including Shelby) along with Madison, Tuscaloosa, Mobile and Lee, and to make inroads in northern Alabama. And to keep black turn out high, obviously.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #249 on: December 14, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »

Come on Tom. Lighten up a little. Wink
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies