Democrats' path of least resistance in the EC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 08:18:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Democrats' path of least resistance in the EC?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Florida + Michigan

Pennsylvania + Wisconsin + Michigan

Florida + Arizona

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Democrats' path of least resistance in the EC?  (Read 1241 times)
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 02:00:22 AM »

Option 2. I've said it before and I'll say it till I'm blue in the face. This Sun Belt "Strategy" many are pushing for 2020 is gonna bite the Democrats in the ass. Demographic changes are not happening fast enough in the Sun Belt to where the Democrats can dump the rust belt and rely on that region to win, and states like Arizona and Florida will be competitive for the GOP (even if they aren't solidly red) for another generation thanks to white Boomer and Xer (Older Xers anyway) retirees.  I would say in order from most likely to flip to least:

1. Michigan
2. Pennsylvania
3. Wisconsin
4. Florida
5. North Carolina
6. Arizona
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 02:30:56 AM »

The thing with the 'Sun Belt strategy' is that if Democrats do win by overperforming with minorities and college-educated whites that will probably flip the Upper Midwest too.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 02:35:14 AM »

The thing with the 'Sun Belt strategy' is that if Democrats do win by overperforming with minorities and college-educated whites that will probably flip the Upper Midwest too.

Exactly, though it'd have to be a uniform overperformance.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 02:41:25 AM »

I can only see them really overperforming with Minorities and I think even then, only the Upper Midwest and Florida will flip. I don't see the Democrats doing any better with College Educated Whites in 2020 than they did in 2016 (The fact that Trump was able to win them at all in 2016 makes me not have faith in them as voters).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 02:46:39 AM »

I can only see them really overperforming with Minorities and I think even then, only the Upper Midwest and Florida will flip. I don't see the Democrats doing any better with College Educated Whites in 2020 than they did in 2016 (The fact that Trump was able to win them at all in 2016 makes me not have faith in them as voters).

I think that they certainly can do better with that demographic-Trump's unpopularity with them is only getting worse and he's turning them off more, not less, and likely he won't seem to be the lesser evil if the Democratic candidate isn't Hillary Clinton. Look at Virginia for one, Gillespie was expected to do a lot better than trump with them but did much worse, despite him being an establishment Republican. I don't think that a trend to the Democrats can be ruled out. However non college-educated whites should also be targeted especially since there is more obvious upside with Obama's performance vs Clinton's for instance.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »

A lot of hispanic voters voted third party. It's possible that a democrat that is more liked can get at least  half of them to vote democrat. In addition, many hispanics are young (which, as young people, mean they barely turn out) or are even under the age of 18, so the democrats should do better and better among hispanics as long as the Trump strategy continues.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »

It's time for the democrat party to dismiss the "woke" White person. Very few of them (approximately 30%) exist. Because of this, the democrat party must focus on the only states that will actually vote for them (aka, the states that have very high miniority populations).

At best, democrats can get this at 2020:

lol
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »

I think the obvious is the three states that decided it for Trump. I’d also throw in FL because of the absolute botching of the situation in PR
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »

Why is DTC trolling?
cvparty
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2017, 08:39:41 PM »

It's time for the democrat party to dismiss the "woke" White person. Very few of them (approximately 30%) exist. Because of this, the democrat party must focus on the only states that will actually vote for them (aka, the states that have very high miniority populations).

agreed
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »

This will not happen in 2020 but I do see this being the reality in a generation except for Alabama and Mississippi. White voters in the Rust Belt will flee the Democrat Party as it becomes more racially stratified. Cook County keeps Illinois Democratic. Democrats will be primarily focused on getting their base out in Florida, Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina, and Virginia.

Texas, Pennsylvania, and Minnesota would be the prize swing states in this scenario.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2017, 09:24:40 PM »

It's almost as if there's not a likely-to-be competitive Senate race there too.
Georgia very well may pull a Pennsylvania in 2020. An aggressive amount of ground game and investment in the State, competitive House races in swing Suburban areas, and the Senate race against Perdue who will be tied to Trump, and may be tied to unpopular legislation can help squeak the Democratic nominee past an unpopular Trump.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 08:17:36 AM »

You're assuming there will be elections in 2020. I'm only half joking.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies