IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:16:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 48
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 81339 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: March 20, 2018, 09:04:17 PM »

I'm pro-choice, pro-SSM, and pro-universal healthcare, and yet I'd vote for Lipinski just because the SJW left is so disastrous.
Well, you'd probably agree with his stance on immigration, too. Newman's would be disqualifying for you.

Marie under 2,000

Daniel Lipinski*
37,433   51.3%   
Marie Newman
35,550   48.7   
72,983 votes, 77% reporting (384 of 500 precincts)

You're not necessarily a homophobe just by opposing gay marriage. And for me, it's perfectly reasonable if you still don't support it personally, while at the same time accepting that Obergefell is the law of the land.
Holy hell you are a terrible human being

Really? Does it really make someone a terrible human being to be unable to shake of the socialization of generations of mainstream marginalization, but still be humble enough to overcome it and accept the times are changing, despite one's personal biases? Really?

The same thing with abortion: the point at which an embryo becomes a person isn't evident to the average person - you can have your beliefs, but they are learned; they're not intuitive. Does it really make someone a terrible person to have a different understanding about when life starts? And if not, does it really make them a terrible person to place a person's survival over a second person's bodily autonomy? It's not an objective answer, it's value-based.

Personally pro-choice and pro-LGBT rights, before you go ahead and call me a bigot myself.

Thank you. This is the purpose of civil debate. You may not necessarily agree with someone on the issues, but you understand where they are coming from, debate the merits of their points, and accept that others have differing positions. When you just scream at other people, label them, and refuse to hear where they are coming from, then you lose all credibility. I have no issue whatsoever with people who are pro-choice; it is just a political disagreement, and should not become a personal one.
That's what you don't get, man. Politics is personal. When it comes down to your right to marry, your right to have healthcare, your right to make your own body decisions, it's hard to see where the other person is coming from. It can't be civil when the other side says you don't deserve to make those choices for yourself. When it's life in death, as it is in healthcare, it becomes personal.

I would love if this could be the West Wing and we could "disagree without being disagreeable" and find common ground, but that's been used to subject and oppress people in this country for years.

I've never argued that people should be denied access to healthcare, or that they should be denied the right to live a productive and fulfilling life. My whole point in involving myself in this thread has been to argue that it is dangerous to wage "absolutist" campaigns against politicians solely because they are not fanatics on one issue, or represent different ideological wings of a party. And what do I get for my efforts: I get insulted, being called a "moron", a "horrible human being", and so forth. People who shout over eachother are less likely to gain the support of others.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #826 on: March 20, 2018, 09:05:06 PM »

I really don't understand all of you crossover Bernie/Lipinski people. They're literally as far apart as you can get. Literally the only thing in common is that they're white guys. There's nothing else there.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #827 on: March 20, 2018, 09:05:29 PM »

It'd be interesting to see how many voted in the R primary in the district. I wonder if it matches with the lean of the district. Republicans may have bailed out Lipinski.

I doubt many people pulled a ballot based off a congressional primary when the governor's race is competitive.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #828 on: March 20, 2018, 09:06:11 PM »

I really don't understand all of you crossover Bernie/Lipinski people. They're literally as far apart as you can get. Literally the only thing in common is that they're white guys. There's nothing else there.
Nail. Head.

Smiley
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #829 on: March 20, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »

It'd be interesting to see how many voted in the R primary in the district. I wonder if it matches with the lean of the district. Republicans may have bailed out Lipinski.

I doubt many people pulled a ballot based off a congressional primary when the governor's race is competitive.

GOP organizations were actively lobbying Republicans in the district to pick up a Democratic ballot to save Lipinski.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #830 on: March 20, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »

"Real leftists hate gays"
Littlefinger
Rookie
United States

« Reply #831 on: March 20, 2018, 09:07:04 PM »

Hopefully, at the very least, this pushes Lipinski to the left as his district is waking up to his lackluster representation, or else he'll get BTFO in 2020 with a better candidate if he holds on.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #832 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:22 PM »

If you disagree with basic human rights you're a terrible person. Sorry. Not sorry.

The thing of it is, Lipinski hasn't overcome anything. He's still anti-LGBT, and votes that way.

There are people who would use the former line on you for opposing basic income, among a whole number of other things. As to the latter, I was expressly replying to Calthrina's comment. But again, even if you haven't made that step, why should you be branded on the whole for keeping attitudes which were mainstream when you were raised? Socialized attitudes can't just be cast aside; that's the very reason why active struggle for civil rights is necessary.

Hofoid is using obnoxious and obscure buzzwords in his argument, but he is fundamentally right: part of democracy is building coalitions to get what you want. If you insist on universally calling social conservatives "terrible people" for not actively changing their view on things as time goes forwards, you will have a hard time passing economic proposals which can benefit the poor as a whole. The demand for ideological purity, both on the left and right, is a rot on America and reinforces the problems of the two-party system. Demonizing those who are not in step on every aspect is a bad way to build a governing coalition.

I don't support Lipinski (I don't care that much, honestly), but the rabid puritanicalism of some in this thread is deeply disturbing.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #833 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:33 PM »

NEWMAN TAKES THE LEAD!
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #834 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »

Simple Reality: Lipinski can be bought to support progressive policies. The WWC base of this district cannot be bought to support anyone else but him.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #835 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:10 PM »

Wow. Will is in and Newman is leading. Lots of Cook left. Very interesting
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #836 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:16 PM »

I did try to warn you guys.  Marie's anti-theist bigotry was not welcome or popular in Cook County.  The angry white exurbanites might bail her out her, but it was not good.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #837 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:18 PM »

All of Will was dumped at once.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #838 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:24 PM »

SHE LEADS!YES YES YES. Anyway, dont get to excited, will dumped.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #839 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:29 PM »

I'm pro-choice, pro-SSM, and pro-universal healthcare, and yet I'd vote for Lipinski just because the SJW left is so disastrous.
Well, you'd probably agree with his stance on immigration, too. Newman's would be disqualifying for you.

Marie under 2,000

Daniel Lipinski*
37,433   51.3%   
Marie Newman
35,550   48.7   
72,983 votes, 77% reporting (384 of 500 precincts)

You're not necessarily a homophobe just by opposing gay marriage. And for me, it's perfectly reasonable if you still don't support it personally, while at the same time accepting that Obergefell is the law of the land.
Holy hell you are a terrible human being

Really? Does it really make someone a terrible human being to be unable to shake of the socialization of generations of mainstream marginalization, but still be humble enough to overcome it and accept the times are changing, despite one's personal biases? Really?

The same thing with abortion: the point at which an embryo becomes a person isn't evident to the average person - you can have your beliefs, but they are learned; they're not intuitive. Does it really make someone a terrible person to have a different understanding about when life starts? And if not, does it really make them a terrible person to place a person's survival over a second person's bodily autonomy? It's not an objective answer, it's value-based.

Personally pro-choice and pro-LGBT rights, before you go ahead and call me a bigot myself.

Thank you. This is the purpose of civil debate. You may not necessarily agree with someone on the issues, but you understand where they are coming from, debate the merits of their points, and accept that others have differing positions. When you just scream at other people, label them, and refuse to hear where they are coming from, then you lose all credibility. I have no issue whatsoever with people who are pro-choice; it is just a political disagreement, and should not become a personal one.
That's what you don't get, man. Politics is personal. When it comes down to your right to marry, your right to have healthcare, your right to make your own body decisions, it's hard to see where the other person is coming from. It can't be civil when the other side says you don't deserve to make those choices for yourself. When it's life in death, as it is in healthcare, it becomes personal.

I would love if this could be the West Wing and we could "disagree without being disagreeable" and find common ground, but that's been used to subject and oppress people in this country for years.

I've never argued that people should be denied access to healthcare, or that they should be denied the right to live a productive and fulfilling life. My whole point in involving myself in this thread has been to argue that it is dangerous to wage "absolutist" campaigns against politicians solely because they are not fanatics on one issue, or represent different ideological wings of a party. And what do I get for my efforts: I get insulted, being called a "moron", a "horrible human being", and so forth. People who shout over eachother are less likely to gain the support of others.
Supporting same-sex marriage and voting to protect the rights of gay people isn't fanaticism, man. Supporting Obamacare certainly isn't fanaticism. It's rhetoric like this that's upsetting to us. I think it's crazy and dangerous that you would think that, and that you would be confused that Democrats do not want that in their party, especially from a solid Democratic district, especially when there's no guarantees we'll have a huge majority in the house and Lipinski's vote could (god forbid) become important.

And let's stop pretending Lipinski is some angel, here: he accused his opponent of anti-Catholicism, which is tremendously disingenuous, and the same "absolutist" thinking you're decrying, albeit theological instead of political.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #840 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:44 PM »

WTF, Newman now leads Lipinski by 42(!!!) points in Will.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #841 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:11 PM »

HERE COMES MARIE NEWMAN!
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #842 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:16 PM »

Yeah 100% sure this is an error.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #843 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »

Yeah 100% sure this is an error.

Yeah, that's my guess as well.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #844 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »

Not sure if this is enough for Newman to hold the lead, to be honest. Let's see how Cook and DuPage go.

(how many dupage precincts are even in this district lmao)

EDIT: only 2, why
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #845 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:06 PM »

Her margin was around 20 points until this last vote dump. Are we sure it's not a reporting error?
Honestly, I'm thinking that too, even though there was a significant amount of the county out.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #846 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »

Not sure if this is enough for Newman to hold the lead, to be honest. Let's see how Cook and DuPage go.

(how many dupage precincts are even in this district lmao)

I think it says just 2.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #847 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:21 PM »

DuPage at 50% in with 14 votes?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #848 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:33 PM »

Nail. Head.

Smiley

Yes. This Bernie supporter supported Newman in this race. I think Republicans and Catholics are the ones that are gonna save Lipinski.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #849 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:38 PM »

yes, how will the rest of cook vote>
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies