IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:51:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 48
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 81758 times)
Karpatsky
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: March 20, 2018, 09:24:00 PM »

NYT just fixed it

Daniel Lipinski*
41,290   50.9%   
Marie Newman
39,848   49.1
87% of precincts reporting

It's done.

Supporting same-sex marriage and voting to protect the rights of gay people isn't fanaticism, man. Supporting Obamacare certainly isn't fanaticism. It's rhetoric like this that's upsetting to us. I think it's crazy and dangerous that you would think that, and that you would be confused that Democrats do not want that in their party, especially from a solid Democratic district, especially when there's no guarantees we'll have a huge majority in the house and Lipinski's vote could (god forbid) become important.

And let's stop pretending Lipinski is some angel, here: he accused his opponent of anti-Catholicism, which is tremendously disingenuous, and the same "absolutist" thinking you're decrying, albeit theological instead of political.

The positions themselves are not fanaticism, the insistence that people who disagree with them are "terrible people" on the whole is. You can support primarying Lipitsky so that the district is better represented without demonizing his beliefs on the whole.
See, though, I think Democrats who oppose increasing access to healthcare and oppose gay rights should be attacked for that. You can disagree, of course, but there are Republicans in congress (not many, but some) that are better on those issues than Lipinski.

That's what's upsetting; this party is supposed to stand up for the people Lipinski tries to push down.

That's fine, and it's part of party politics. But there's a difference between attacking a position and attacking a person. There is a difference between supporting healthcare access and using a political position as a litmus test for whether someone is a 'good person'.
I think homophobes are bad people. Like, fundamentally. I don't care if they donate to charity or saved kittens from a burning building, if you think there should be one set of rights for one group of people and another for another group of people, that's pretty terrible.

Again, really? A socialized belief, which was relatively normal as few as ten years ago, invalidates the entirety of a person, especially when it's the sort of belief that few have the opportunity or will to change organically? I hope you are being hyperbolic, because to judge so wholely on such a thing is a real personality flaw. Otherwise, may the future judge you for what you thought was normal.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #901 on: March 20, 2018, 09:24:29 PM »

DAN DAN DAN!!!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #902 on: March 20, 2018, 09:24:54 PM »

At this point there's no reason for any liberals to vote in the general.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #903 on: March 20, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »

AtorBoltox

« Reply #904 on: March 20, 2018, 09:25:04 PM »

Conservatives- The campaign against Lipinski was divisive and harmful
Also conservatives=MARIE NEWMAN HATES CATHOLICS!!!
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #905 on: March 20, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »

Next time Marie, don't attack your own potential constituents.  It doesn't go over well.
Right? That's like someone saying the N-word in a Bronx seat or proclaiming "English Only" in New Mexico. Someone needed to know her audience.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #906 on: March 20, 2018, 09:25:23 PM »

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #907 on: March 20, 2018, 09:25:42 PM »

Supporting same-sex marriage and voting to protect the rights of gay people isn't fanaticism, man. Supporting Obamacare certainly isn't fanaticism. It's rhetoric like this that's upsetting to us. I think it's crazy and dangerous that you would think that, and that you would be confused that Democrats do not want that in their party, especially from a solid Democratic district, especially when there's no guarantees we'll have a huge majority in the house and Lipinski's vote could (god forbid) become important.

And let's stop pretending Lipinski is some angel, here: he accused his opponent of anti-Catholicism, which is tremendously disingenuous, and the same "absolutist" thinking you're decrying, albeit theological instead of political.

The positions themselves are not fanaticism, the insistence that people who disagree with them are "terrible people" on the whole is. You can support primarying Lipitsky so that the district is better represented without demonizing his beliefs on the whole.
See, though, I think Democrats who oppose increasing access to healthcare and oppose gay rights should be attacked for that. You can disagree, of course, but there are Republicans in congress (not many, but some) that are better on those issues than Lipinski.

That's what's upsetting; this party is supposed to stand up for the people Lipinski tries to push down.

He doesn't oppose increasing access to healthcare.  He opposes the way you want to do it.
I mean, he can say that, but it doesn't change the fact that he voted against the biggest bill that tried to actually do that in his entire tenure in Congress

It's easy to just dismiss Lipinski's anti-gay record as "moderation" when your livelihood as a gay person literally depends on the Democratic party supporting your right to marry, adopt, work, rent, live, etc, etc... To us this isn't something we can agree to disagree on. Hopefully that's understood.
This is my point, and you've made it much more concisely than I've been trying to.

Next time Marie, don't attack your own potential constituents.  It doesn't go over well.
dont call someone anti catholic
Yes! Even I'd vote for Lipinski over Arthur Jones (and Pritzker over Ives).
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #908 on: March 20, 2018, 09:25:46 PM »

LOVE IT! My boy Lipinski saving the day.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #909 on: March 20, 2018, 09:26:02 PM »

How much of Chicago is still out?
AtorBoltox

« Reply #910 on: March 20, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »

Can someone please explain how Newman 'attacked her own constituents'?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #911 on: March 20, 2018, 09:26:14 PM »

Can someone please explain how Newman 'attacked her own constituents'?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #912 on: March 20, 2018, 09:26:19 PM »

The people of the Southwest Side said NO to anti-life politics.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #913 on: March 20, 2018, 09:26:26 PM »

No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #914 on: March 20, 2018, 09:26:52 PM »

It's easy to just dismiss Lipinski's anti-gay record as "moderation" when your livelihood as a gay person literally depends on the Democratic party supporting your right to marry, adopt, work, rent, live, etc, etc... To us this isn't something we can agree to disagree on. Hopefully that's understood.

Actually, it is really easy.

And this is why you'll lose in November when minorities don't turn out to vote.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #915 on: March 20, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »

AtorBoltox

« Reply #916 on: March 20, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »

Conservatives do realise that unless Lipinski now becomes a standard democrat he's out in 2020?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #917 on: March 20, 2018, 09:27:36 PM »

Marie Newman ran a good campaign. But next time let's not go with a generic white liberal.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #918 on: March 20, 2018, 09:27:43 PM »

Democrats should just stay home during the general. No point in voting in an R vs R election.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #919 on: March 20, 2018, 09:28:09 PM »

Democrats should just stay home during the general. No point in voting in an R vs R election.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #920 on: March 20, 2018, 09:28:18 PM »

Conservatives do realise that unless Lipinski now becomes a standard democrat he's out in 2020?

It doesn't matter. Trump has another vote in the House for 2 years.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #921 on: March 20, 2018, 09:28:38 PM »

At this point there's no reason for any liberals to vote in the general.
no, we gotta throw up a couple times and vote for lipinski with Arthur jones
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #922 on: March 20, 2018, 09:29:07 PM »

Psh, if anything, this solidifies his place. If 2018 (the most SJW year to-date) of all years cannot unseat him, nothing will.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #923 on: March 20, 2018, 09:29:16 PM »

Hopefully the Nazi wins the GE for lulz
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #924 on: March 20, 2018, 09:29:52 PM »

NYT just fixed it

Daniel Lipinski*
41,290   50.9%   
Marie Newman
39,848   49.1
87% of precincts reporting

It's done.

That's fine, and it's part of party politics. But there's a difference between attacking a position and attacking a person. There is a difference between supporting healthcare access and using a political position as a litmus test for whether someone is a 'good person'.
I think homophobes are bad people. Like, fundamentally. I don't care if they donate to charity or saved kittens from a burning building, if you think there should be one set of rights for one group of people and another for another group of people, that's pretty terrible.

Again, really? A socialized belief, which was relatively normal as few as ten years ago, invalidates the entirety of a person, especially when it's the sort of belief that few have the opportunity or will to change organically? I hope you are being hyperbolic, because to judge so wholely on such a thing is a real personality flaw. Otherwise, may the future judge you for what you thought was normal.

I think you and I are arguing about different things here; I don't really care about someone's private beliefs. What I care about is if those private beliefs either become public or lead to them trying to advocate against the equality of every American citizen. Because that is a terrible thing to do, because it hurts people.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies