Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:43:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 82
Author Topic: Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians  (Read 172356 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: December 05, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »
« edited: December 05, 2017, 06:34:16 PM by PittsburghSteel »

Natalia Veselnitskaya, the Russian lawyer that met with Trump Jr., told Senate Committee  Jr. wanted dirt on the Clinton foundation.

We now have confirmation of attempted collusion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/donald-trump-jr-asked-russian-lawyer-info-clinton-foundation-n826711
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #876 on: December 05, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »

Can someone summarize this thing for me, and why anyone is paying attention to it:

All I've heard is that there was somebody fired from the investigation a while back because of texts that were critical of Trump, and whose expertise was counter-espionage.

Also, I'm seeing reports that the same guy changed the wording in Comey's Clinton testimony from "grossly negligent" to "extremely careless" or something.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #877 on: December 05, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »

CNN is announcing new charges in the Russia probe coming up soon.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #878 on: December 05, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »

Just in time for Christmas!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #879 on: December 05, 2017, 07:16:23 PM »

Choo Choo!

All Aboard the Mueller express!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #880 on: December 05, 2017, 07:19:05 PM »

BREAKING: Mueller filing superceding indictment on Rick Gates who plead not guilty to money laundering.

This isn't the additional charges regarding the Russia investigation though.

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #881 on: December 05, 2017, 07:24:27 PM »

Ted Lieu: Don Jr. asking Veselnitskaya about dirt on Clinton foundation IS collusion.

I don't know why I didn't see any nuclear elmo memes when I posted that.

Note: Jr claimed he talked to her about "adoption." What are the possibilities he actually lied to the FBI too?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #882 on: December 05, 2017, 07:27:01 PM »

Ted Lieu: Don Jr. asking Veselnitskaya about dirt on Clinton foundation IS collusion.

Note: Jr claimed he talked to her about "adoption." What are the possibilities he actually lied to the FBI too?

"Attemped" collusion. This is a signifacant difference, as some people have claimed that "attempted collusion" is not a strong enough charge.

And we knew about this for ages.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #883 on: December 05, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »

"Attemped" collusion. This is a signifacant difference, as some people have claimed that "attempted collusion" is not a strong enough charge.

And we knew about this for ages.

The difference is we have the Russian lawyer admitting it to the senate. If I recall, she denied it too. So now it's something we here call "confirmed"
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #884 on: December 05, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »

“Collusion” is not a crime or even a legal term
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #885 on: December 05, 2017, 07:32:07 PM »

Last time I checked, trying to get a foreign government to help you win an election isn't exactly legal.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #886 on: December 05, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »

It may not be new people being charged, it could be additional charges for Manafort, Flynn, or Gates.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #887 on: December 05, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »

Another one bites the dust
And another one’s gone
Another one’s gone
Another one bites the dust
Hey, I’m gonna get you too
Another one bites the dust!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #888 on: December 06, 2017, 08:40:02 AM »

Regarding the Tweet a few days ago about why Trump fired Flynn,can they trace the tweet to the phone used, and the tower it pinged off? If Trump's lawyer was nowhere near the tower...nuclear elmo time.

They would have to subpoena both Twitter and the ISP or Phone company, but yes it should be possible to determine that. The claim is that Dan Scavino (the social media head) actually posted it, so the lawyer could be anywhere, but they could also check if he called him if they weren't in the same place.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #889 on: December 06, 2017, 01:15:28 PM »

Flynn Said Russian Sanctions Would be Ripped Up, Whistle-Blower Says

Source: New York Times

WASHINGTON — Michael T. Flynn, President Trump’s former national security adviser, told a former business associate that economic sanctions against Russia would be “ripped up” as one of the Trump administration’s first acts, according to an account by a whistle-blower made public on Wednesday.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #890 on: December 06, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »

They are so bad at being criminals
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #891 on: December 06, 2017, 02:33:50 PM »

You're running behind. Even the deplorables are accepting collusion (or conspiring, if your prefer) with Russia. The new GOP defensive line is explaining why obstruction isn't illegal when the President does it. (Not much of a stretch for a party of apologists for pedophilia.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #892 on: December 06, 2017, 02:43:57 PM »

You're running behind. Even the deplorables are accepting collusion (or conspiring, if your prefer) with Russia. The new GOP defensive line is explaining why obstruction isn't illegal when the President does it. (Not much of a stretch for a party of apologists for pedophilia.)

No, I’m not.  Trump may very well get indicted for obstruction of justice by Mueller, indeed it’s more likely than not at this point, and Mueller will almost certainly recommend impeachment at the very least.  And Trump obviously colluded with Russia.  However, facts are facts.  Collusion is a political term, you’ll never see anyone indicted for “collusion” b/c it’s not a crime.  As for conspiracy, that word doesn’t quite mean the same thing legally as it does in common usage.  It certainly shouldn’t be used interchangeably with collusion although if new information/testimony comes out, they may end up overlapping in this case.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #893 on: December 06, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »

No, I’m not.  Trump may very well get indicted for obstruction of justice by Mueller, indeed it’s more likely than not at this point, and Mueller will almost certainly recommend impeachment at the very least.  And Trump obviously colluded with Russia.  However, facts are facts.  Collusion is a political term, you’ll never see anyone indicted for “collusion” b/c it’s not a crime.  As for conspiracy, that word doesn’t quite mean the same thing legally as it does in common usage.  It certainly shouldn’t be used interchangeably with collusion although if new information/testimony comes out, they may end up overlapping in this case.

Collusion is not a criminal charge, but you effectively cannot collude without accepting in kind gifts, which is illegal for a campaign to accept from a foreign power.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #894 on: December 06, 2017, 03:59:02 PM »

Collusion is not a criminal charge, but you effectively cannot collude without accepting in kind gifts, which is illegal for a campaign to accept from a foreign power.

And I'm sure Don Jr. could mount a fairly strong ignorance of fact defense if you tried to charge him with violating the election laws you're talking about.  As for Trump, from what we've seen so far (and obviously Mueller knows a lot more than we do), I don't see enough evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Trump knew anyone campaign was engaging in the activities you're talking about.  Obstruction of Justice is the much stronger case, imo.  Btw, just to be clear, I'm just approaching this from a strictly legal PoV.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #895 on: December 06, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »

And I'm sure Don Jr. could mount a fairly strong ignorance of fact defense if you tried to charge him with violating the election laws you're talking about. 

Since when ignorance of the law is a valid defense strategy?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #896 on: December 06, 2017, 04:18:28 PM »

No, I’m not.  Trump may very well get indicted for obstruction of justice by Mueller, indeed it’s more likely than not at this point, and Mueller will almost certainly recommend impeachment at the very least.  And Trump obviously colluded with Russia.  However, facts are facts.  Collusion is a political term, you’ll never see anyone indicted for “collusion” b/c it’s not a crime.  As for conspiracy, that word doesn’t quite mean the same thing legally as it does in common usage.  It certainly shouldn’t be used interchangeably with collusion although if new information/testimony comes out, they may end up overlapping in this case.

And I'm sure Don Jr. could mount a fairly strong ignorance of fact defense if you tried to charge him with violating the election laws you're talking about.  

Since when ignorance of the law is a valid defense strategy?

It isn’t.  However, ignorance of the facts necessary to possess the requisite mental state is a perfectly valid defense.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #897 on: December 06, 2017, 10:07:47 PM »

And I'm sure Don Jr. could mount a fairly strong ignorance of fact defense if you tried to charge him with violating the election laws you're talking about.  As for Trump, from what we've seen so far (and obviously Mueller knows a lot more than we do), I don't see enough evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Trump knew anyone campaign was engaging in the activities you're talking about.  Obstruction of Justice is the much stronger case, imo.  Btw, just to be clear, I'm just approaching this from a strictly legal PoV.

Well then what you're arguing is that he didn't collude, not that if he did collude he can't be charged for it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #898 on: December 06, 2017, 11:27:35 PM »

Well then what you're arguing is that he didn't collude, not that if he did collude he can't be charged for it.

No, I'm not, but whatever.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #899 on: December 07, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »

No, I'm not, but whatever.

I thought lacking scientist was really on a defense if you didn't have a reason to know. I think DT2 should have known if even he didn't know he was committing a crime. And even if there is no specific intent, he still ratified it and I don't think specific intent matters there.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies