MS Megathread: Hyde-Smith wins by 8
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:05:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MS Megathread: Hyde-Smith wins by 8
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 73
Poll
Question: ..............
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: MS Megathread: Hyde-Smith wins by 8  (Read 141701 times)
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: March 15, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »

Anybody else think that Espy’s strength in the jungle primary and runoff might be underrated? He’s going to have a lot of African-American support in the primary even if Presley enters, and the optics of a McDaniel v. Espy runoff would pump up turnout.

MS isn't electing a black man statewide.

Espy would need something like only 20% of white voters with strong black turnout.

Exactly that. And both of those things are very likely when the most apparent GOP nominee is an out-and-out Neo-Confederate.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #401 on: March 15, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »

If Presley runs and maybe Epsy mover over to the other race, I could see this being lean Republican against McDaniels. Easy running is important because he can boost black turnout while Pressley focuses on rallying rural white support.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #402 on: March 15, 2018, 04:11:46 PM »

If Presley runs and maybe Epsy mover over to the other race, I could see this being lean Republican against McDaniels. Easy running is important because he can boost black turnout while Pressley focuses on rallying rural white support.

Espy can't run against Wicker, the filing deadline has passed. I agree that a Espy vs. Wicker and Presley vs. McDaniel scenario would've been best for Democrats, though.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #403 on: March 15, 2018, 04:26:46 PM »

Presley has shown he can win deep-red areas, and is also sitting in an office that serves a large chunk of Mississippi.

Don't forget, there's a HUGE difference e running and winning races for relatively non partisan offices like Public Service Board (right?), and U.S. Senate.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #404 on: March 15, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »

Espy is a C-list candidate at best (really D-list because he's such a nasty and notoriously corrupt individual).  The only way this could be competitive is McDaniel vs. Presley.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #405 on: March 15, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »

Presley has shown he can win deep-red areas, and is also sitting in an office that serves a large chunk of Mississippi.

Don't forget, there's a HUGE difference e running and winning races for relatively non partisan offices like Public Service Board (right?), and U.S. Senate.

That's fair enough-but remember special elections in Mississippi are also non partisan.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #406 on: March 15, 2018, 05:41:11 PM »

Espy is a C-list candidate at best (really D-list because he's such a nasty and notoriously corrupt individual).  The only way this could be competitive is McDaniel vs. Presley.

Espy was exonerated of all wrongdoing in the corruption charges against him.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #407 on: March 15, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »

Espy was exonerated of all wrongdoing in the corruption charges against him.

No, they couldn’t prove beyond reasonable doubt that he was guilty.  There’s a big difference.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #408 on: March 15, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »

A college professor of mine said back in 2007 that Espy is the only African-American who could have plausibly won a statewide election in Mississippi, but that he'd probably missed his window by 2007. 11 years later, does the electorate even remember who he is?

There were also rumors about 10 years ago that he might switch parties. He endorsed Barbour for reelection in 2007 and apparently really wanted to be appointed to Trent Lott's seat, but I haven't heard anyone referring to him as anything other than a Democrat for this race.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #409 on: March 15, 2018, 08:21:54 PM »

A college professor of mine said back in 2007 that Espy is the only African-American who could have plausibly won a statewide election in Mississippi, but that he'd probably missed his window by 2007. 11 years later, does the electorate even remember who he is?

There were also rumors about 10 years ago that he might switch parties. He endorsed Barbour for reelection in 2007 and apparently really wanted to be appointed to Trent Lott's seat, but I haven't heard anyone referring to him as anything other than a Democrat for this race.

Well if it counts, my mother does and I'll say it's very likely she'll vote for Espy too. But other than some older and middle-aged black voters I doubt that he's remembered by many from back in the day.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #410 on: March 15, 2018, 08:47:21 PM »

Espy got a lot of white voters to vote for him back in the day (after he was already an incumbent), but he hasn't really been a notable figure in politics for about 20 years. Most people won't remember the great service he did for the agricultural community in Mississippi. The reactionary people will not give Espy much of a chance when they hear the corruption charges, even though he was acquitted.

Now, given how polarized Mississippi is, I'm not sure Espy can get much more than 15% of the white vote, even vs a controversial asshole like McDaniels. He's going to probably need at least 18% of the white vote even if there is a huge difference between black turnout and white.

He's definitely better than a generic D in Mississippi, but Jim Hood and Brandon Presley are stronger candidates. I'm not sure either could beat Espy in a primary, though.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #411 on: March 15, 2018, 10:34:59 PM »

Likely R now.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #412 on: March 15, 2018, 11:21:00 PM »

Has the filing deadline passed? when will it be?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #413 on: March 15, 2018, 11:48:12 PM »

Has the filing deadline passed? when will it be?

Yep. It was on March 1st.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #414 on: March 16, 2018, 07:21:23 AM »

Is there any news on Presley?
edtorres04
Rookie
United States

« Reply #415 on: March 16, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »

Presley is likely going to run for Sec of State:

http://yallpolitics.com/2018/03/12/breaking-inside-sources-say-psc-brandon-presley-considering-run-for-ms-secretary-of-state-in-2019/
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #416 on: March 16, 2018, 09:06:41 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2018, 09:11:09 AM by YE »

Is Presley waiting for MS to become a blue state in say 2030 to run for a non-row office or something?  Otherwise, not sure why he isn't jumping into the Senate race.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #417 on: March 16, 2018, 09:08:02 AM »

You know what, I'll take it. If Pressley wins and can break down the barriers to voting in MS that institutionally obstruct POC and the poor from voting, we can make MS damn near purple.

EDIT: The question is if Hood runs for Gov. and Pressley runs for SOS, who can we credibly field to hold the AG's office? We might as well go for a full court press if we're risking the offices of two of our best Democrats.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #418 on: March 16, 2018, 09:18:20 AM »

You know what, I'll take it. If Pressley wins and can break down the barriers to voting in MS that institutionally obstruct POC and the poor from voting, we can make MS damn near purple.

EDIT: The question is if Hood runs for Gov. and Pressley runs for SOS, who can we credibly field to hold the AG's office? We might as well go for a full court press if we're risking the offices of two of our best Democrats.

Y’all Politics had a good rundown a while back. Several DA’s in very red territory to choose from.

Excellent.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #419 on: March 19, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »

Mississippi's next Senator will likely be Cindy Hyde-Smith or Delbert Hosemann.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #420 on: March 19, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »

So, probably Hosemann.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #421 on: March 19, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »

Would McDaniel make the runoff against Hosemann?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #422 on: March 19, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »

Who would win a Hyde-Smith vs. McDaniel runoff?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #423 on: March 19, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »

Are we going to find out who the replacement is within a few days or are we going to wait until April 1 or close to it?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #424 on: March 19, 2018, 02:59:01 PM »

Both great choices.  Hosemann is very statesmanlike and has great campaign infrastructure/fundraising ability.  He's very visible and well-liked across the states.  While Cindy Hyde-Smith is not as well known, she can rev up the ag community and cut into McDaniel's south Mississippi base.

I'd pick Hosemann, just because I'd call him favored over McDaniel.  I'd take the hit in potential seniority in order to avoid having a Senator McDaniel.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies