Update for Everyone VI: What Is and What Should Never Be
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:44:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VI: What Is and What Should Never Be
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VI: What Is and What Should Never Be  (Read 142112 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: May 27, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »

Since my family is already moving at the beginning of July, I’m thinking of taking a huge leap and going off on my own (with my girlfriend and our cat). Maybe stay in a cheap Airbnb in another city until I can land a job (I’d target the city with resumes prior to moving) and take the money I’ll have saved to cover my bills prior to my first check and a down payment on a place when I land the job. It’d be risky, but we’re both young and good things in life sometimes require great risk. So, I don’t know. It’s something I have to really think about in a short period of time.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1326 on: May 27, 2018, 09:02:49 PM »

Since my family is already moving at the beginning of July, I’m thinking of taking a huge leap and going off on my own (with my girlfriend and our cat). Maybe stay in a cheap Airbnb in another city until I can land a job (I’d target the city with resumes prior to moving) and take the money I’ll have saved to cover my bills prior to my first check and a down payment on a place when I land the job. It’d be risky, but we’re both young and good things in life sometimes require great risk. So, I don’t know. It’s something I have to really think about in a short period of time.

What cities you have in mind?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1327 on: May 27, 2018, 09:10:51 PM »

What cities you have in mind?

In terms of attractiveness and practicality, I’m thinking somewhere in Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin. I have family in PA, which could make finding a job or even temporary housing easier, but where they live is a bit pricey and the job market isn’t very good. My gf is from Wisconsin and we both agree MI, MN, and WI would be excellent states to live; she’s already so homesick. We really like Grand Rapids, from what we’ve seen. But, Appleton, Wausau, and the Detroit suburbs sound great too. I’d love the Twin Cities, but that may be too much city for her.

Tl;dr: Grand Rapids, MI; Detroit suburbs; Allentown/Bethlehem; Lancaster; Appleton; Green Bay; Wausau.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1328 on: May 27, 2018, 09:17:58 PM »

In terms of attractiveness and practicality, I’m thinking somewhere in Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin. I have family in PA, which could make finding a job or even temporary housing easier, but where they live is a bit pricey and the job market isn’t very good. My gf is from Wisconsin and we both agree MI, MN, and WI would be excellent states to live; she’s already so homesick. We really like Grand Rapids, from what we’ve seen. But, Appleton, Wausau, and the Detroit suburbs sound great too. I’d love the Twin Cities, but that may be too much city for her.

Tl;dr: Grand Rapids, MI; Detroit suburbs; Allentown/Bethlehem; Lancaster; Appleton; Green Bay; Wausau.

What kind of field do you expect to be working in?

At first glance, I wonder if renting in the Detroit burbs might be more cost effective? I'm not sure of the costs further from the city, but it seems like a possibility.

You really should go where the best job opportunities are, although if you have several choices that all have ample opportunity, then you can lean on other factors, but the primary one should be a job, imo. At least for the time being. You don't necessarily have to stay in the same place forever.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1329 on: May 27, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »

Land values in and immediatekyboutsude Detroit are increasing, but I don’t know what that is in comparison to other places. I personally think living around Grand Rapids would be awesome. A minor goal of mine is to get to Madison, WI, but that’s family and school related.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1330 on: May 27, 2018, 09:44:04 PM »

At first glance, I wonder if renting in the Detroit burbs might be more cost effective? I'm not sure of the costs further from the city, but it seems like a possibility.

You really should go where the best job opportunities are, although if you have several choices that all have ample opportunity, then you can lean on other factors, but the primary one should be a job, imo. At least for the time being. You don't necessarily have to stay in the same place forever.

Social Work is what I am generally looking at in terms of a long-term career. So, I think whichever place is good for that would be best for me. However, I have a lot of experience in customer service/sales and would be open to putting out resumes and accepting jobs in that field in whatever city I decide upon - at least until I get settled and could explore my options more freely. So, I’m pretty flexible with the career side of things. My girlfriend has worked in the service industry and wants to pursue making money from her art more aggressively, so I’d definitely want to take that into consideration as well.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1331 on: May 28, 2018, 05:15:42 AM »

Social Work is what I am generally looking at in terms of a long-term career. So, I think whichever place is good for that would be best for me. However, I have a lot of experience in customer service/sales and would be open to putting out resumes and accepting jobs in that field in whatever city I decide upon - at least until I get settled and could explore my options more freely. So, I’m pretty flexible with the career side of things. My girlfriend has worked in the service industry and wants to pursue making money from her art more aggressively, so I’d definitely want to take that into consideration as well.

What type.of art does your gf create? Green Bay and Appleton could work out from their proximity to the art scene in Door county.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1332 on: May 28, 2018, 10:05:57 AM »

What type.of art does your gf create? Green Bay and Appleton could work out from their proximity to the art scene in Door county.

It’s funny you say that because my gf is originally from Door County - Washington Island, to be specific. That’s where she really wants to live, but I figured the job market wouldn’t be good enough there. And the type of art she does are painting commissions of people, animals, landscapes, and realistic drawings.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1333 on: May 28, 2018, 11:21:22 PM »

Ah, another Nixon fan! Care to explain?

Sure. I think I'm just impressed by him in a more realistic, cold kinda way Tongue I know that he's a crook and that he didn't do well in some fields (like Vietnam), but at least on the China issue, he really impressed me. Chinese diplomats called him "the warmest, most approachable American leader we've ever met" which is quite surprising, and he's revered there, which has to require skills. He's also such an interesting leader to research, with the White House tapes and many other interesting primary sources. Finding an actual article he wrote was nice, and I legit used a transcript where he talks to his wife about pandas arriving from China to prove that he saw it as "a good story". So that also makes me strangely fond of him.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1334 on: May 29, 2018, 04:11:56 AM »

I guess it's another all-nighter for me.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1335 on: May 29, 2018, 04:57:39 AM »

I guess it's another all-nighter for me.

Same. I suppose there's some irony in that the all-nighter is being caused by graduation deadlines, but I still don't feel any closer to graduating since there's 2500 words of research/writing between here and there.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1336 on: May 29, 2018, 10:06:37 AM »

i may be in the mountains somewhere in new hampshire from wednesday to sunday.so if i'm gone that's why
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1337 on: May 29, 2018, 10:07:12 AM »

also i was taking care of my mom for awhile.we think she got sick from ozone exposure.she seems a bit better but still coughing
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1338 on: May 29, 2018, 12:25:24 PM »

i may be in the mountains somewhere in new hampshire from wednesday to sunday.so if i'm gone that's why

Be careful ... angry mountain women?!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1339 on: May 29, 2018, 02:49:49 PM »

Sooo I recently discovered an... interesting detail. If anyone remembers, my ex originally dumped me a day after my birthday, because he forgot it. Well, turns out he just really wanted to break up, so he ignored my birthday on purpose so that I break up with him. Well, I'm glad I now know that I missed nothing but a total coward Smiley And I have much better options now so yeah.
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1340 on: May 31, 2018, 08:09:38 AM »

Refusing to do your work to own the teachers who obviously hate you but are too chicken to admit it
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1341 on: May 31, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »

Me start posting less words be more efficient save time
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1342 on: May 31, 2018, 03:21:32 PM »

When you President, they see. They see.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1343 on: May 31, 2018, 03:25:46 PM »

Your loss
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1344 on: May 31, 2018, 03:28:46 PM »

Refusing to do your work to own the teachers who obviously hate you but are too chicken to admit it

i used to do the same thing lol
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1345 on: May 31, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »

When you President, they see. They see.
Covfefe lives!
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1346 on: June 01, 2018, 04:32:36 AM »

i hate heatwaves
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1347 on: June 01, 2018, 06:02:47 AM »

A kinda-distant friend of mine got me to talk with a bi guy from her army unit and apparently he learned French in highschool and Russian all by himself. So he knows four languages at the age of 20, one of them self-taught. He's also really handsome and just seems very level-headed compared to my ex and the other guy I was going out with for a while. WHERE DO I BUY A RING
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #1348 on: June 01, 2018, 07:04:08 PM »

My paternal grandmother, who is my last living grandparent, went to the doctor, and they discovered a fast-growing, potentially cancerous growth in one of her lungs. Her overall well-being has gone downhill; she's lost weight, she barely eats, has trouble breathing and even her memory is starting to fade. Your thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1349 on: June 01, 2018, 07:06:59 PM »

My paternal grandmother, who is my last living grandparent, went to the doctor, and they discovered a fast-growing, potentially cancerous growth in one of her lungs. Her overall well-being has gone downhill; she's lost weight, she barely eats, has trouble breathing and even her memory is starting to fade. Your thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Hope your grandmother gets better soon.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies