Trump approval ratings thread 1.2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:03:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 78
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.2  (Read 185402 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: December 28, 2017, 03:36:06 PM »
« edited: December 28, 2017, 03:37:45 PM by When did you accept Donald Trump as your Lord and Savior? »

That's how the electoral college works, because we're a Republic. The people in Wyoming need as much say as Californians, otherwise it really is "tyranny of the majority".

Actually the people of Wyoming have 3.6 times more say than the people of California, so this has become the tyranny of the minority.

Not when California has 67 people for every one in Wyoming.

Um, do you understand what I said or is it too much for you to process?

You are talking to someone who believes that people don't matter, only states and corporations matter.

No I believe individuals matter. The smallest minority.

But apparently some more than others. I don't understand why there is this fixation on procedural rights as opposed to substantive ones. Again, unless by "freedom", it is normally just meant the right own property, not to consent to be governed or to be governed only in a way that doesn't prevent you from consenting to be governed.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #901 on: December 28, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »

Yes, but it's supposed to be a balance.  The weight of a number of votes in heavily populated states vs people's wants getting ignored in sparsely populated ones.  If we were on pure vote count, why should people in Wyoming or Delaware or Rhode Island even bother voting in a national election? The electoral college isn't perfect and maybe we could tweak it some, but it's still better than just a raw count.

Every other Western democracy uses popular vote and they are doing just fine, thank you.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #902 on: December 28, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »

That's how the electoral college works, because we're a Republic. The people in Wyoming need as much say as Californians, otherwise it really is "tyranny of the majority".

Actually the people of Wyoming have 3.6 times more say than the people of California, so this has become the tyranny of the minority.

Not when California has 67 people for every one in Wyoming.

Um, do you understand what I said or is it too much for you to process?

You are talking to someone who believes that people don't matter, only states and corporations matter.

No I believe individuals matter. The smallest minority.

But apparently some more than others. I don't understand why there is this fixation on procedural rights as opposed to substantive ones. Again, unless by "freedom", it is normally just meant the right own property, not to consent to be governed or to be governed only in a way that doesn't prevent you from consenting to be governed.

And I don't understand why people want to throw out a more balanced/fair system for a older, lesser one. I guess that's why the left is now "regressive".
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #903 on: December 28, 2017, 03:42:57 PM »

Yes, but it's supposed to be a balance.  The weight of a number of votes in heavily populated states vs people's wants getting ignored in sparsely populated ones.  If we were on pure vote count, why should people in Wyoming or Delaware or Rhode Island even bother voting in a national election? The electoral college isn't perfect and maybe we could tweak it some, but it's still better than just a raw count.

Every other Western democracy uses popular vote and they are doing just fine, thank you.

And to add to this, individual states here in this nation are using the popular vote as well.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #904 on: December 28, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »

Wrong again, many don't even have an election for head of state: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electoral_systems_by_country#/media/File:Electoral_systems_for_heads_of_state_map.svg
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #905 on: December 28, 2017, 03:52:13 PM »

WOW GREAT POLL FOR TRUMP
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #906 on: December 28, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »

Libertarians4Trump, lol
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #907 on: December 28, 2017, 03:54:24 PM »

Wrong again, many don't even have an election for head of state: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electoral_systems_by_country#/media/File:Electoral_systems_for_heads_of_state_map.svg

... Perhaps because those countries have a head of state that's merely symbolic and the true power is held by the Prime Minister, which is indirectly elected through parliamentary elections...
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #908 on: December 28, 2017, 03:59:56 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2017, 04:02:48 PM by Generalissimo Mondale »

It helps the pig has been golfing non stop. Everytime hes back in the public eye, his rating plummets like the value of his businesses

This is why I was skeptical of any claims about tax reform helping him (other than that the bill was really unpopular). Its passage coincided with a major holiday week and that alone would help Trump's approvals. It's been well-established that whenever Trump goes abroad or otherwise stops dominating the media, he usually sees a small bump in his approvals. And like clockwork, this comes to an end as soon as the focus is back on him.

At this time, his Gallup approval is nothing special. It's very much in line with his usual approvals.

Harry Enten on Twitter said that tax cuts never help a candidate. According to polling, people actually grow more skeptical of tax cuts after they pass and come to see them as a scam giveaway for the wealthy.

Tax cuts have always been a phony issue that masks Republicans true motivations for voting the way they do. People are not gonna come out to say "thanks for that lower pass through rate."
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #909 on: December 28, 2017, 04:04:15 PM »

... Perhaps because those countries have a head of state that's merely symbolic and the true power is held by the Prime Minister, which is indirectly elected through parliamentary elections...

So same thing, no popular vote for the figurehead or PM.  Or that matter, the head of the EU.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #910 on: December 28, 2017, 04:05:50 PM »

Libertarians4ElectoralCollege
Libertarians4ConstitutionalGovernment
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #911 on: December 28, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »

So same thing, no popular vote for the figurehead or PM.  Or that matter, the head of the EU.

Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. Have you considered to pursue a career as a Breitbart columnist?
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #912 on: December 28, 2017, 04:18:49 PM »

Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. Have you considered to pursue a career as a Breitbart columnist?

Hmm, feeling's mutual. Perhaps you run Occupy Democrats?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #913 on: December 28, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »

Hmm, feeling's mutual. Perhaps you run Occupy Democrats?

Trust me, it's not. I know very well how the American electoral system works.
You on the other hand know jacksh**t of how European democracies elect their leaders.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #914 on: December 28, 2017, 04:41:15 PM »

Oh My God, stop talking now.

That's how the electoral college works, because we're a Republic.
Right, to begin, the distinction between republican and democratic government has been obsolete since the nineteenth century. There are plenty of republics around the world that elect their head of state by direct popular ballot. There is no reason to believe retention of the electoral college is necessary to maintain a functioning representative system, not that it somehow makes the difference between constitutional government and mob rule, bar post-facto justifications cooked up by eighth grade civics teachers.

The people in Wyoming need as much say as Californians,
I agree! That is why every citizen should have one vote, and the president should be chosen by a majority of those votes.

otherwise it really is "tyranny of the majority".
I did not realize the system we use to decide literally every other election is akin to "tyranny."
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #915 on: December 28, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »

Remember when polls said Moore would win by 2 and Northam won by 3?

Oh wait, instead Jones won by 1.5 and Northam won by almost 9.

Turns out polls don't always overestimate democrats. But you guys choose to not believe in data, which is part of why I left the GOP (FYI, I voted for Drew Ferguson and Johnny Isakson in 2016 - both R's). But keep pushing out college-educated white people and minorities and wonder why the GOP loses everything. Smiley I don't feel welcome in the post-truth GOP party that poops on civil rights even harder than it used to.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #916 on: December 28, 2017, 06:53:11 PM »

I think Trump has hit bottom. If he gets Obamacare finally repealed/replaced and real spending cuts (not holding my breath there) done in the first half of 2018, prepare for 50-60% approval.

You sound very out of touch with the average american voter.

Cutting spending would hurt Trump's approvals. The average american loves tax cuts and loves government spending. How the hell would cutting spending make Trump's approvals go up. People (unfortunately) hardly care about the national debt.

Just look at how the Obamacare repeal went. At some point, the approval for that health care plan was 20% approval 60% disapproval.

LOL every red avatar in here was out of touch with the "average American voter" a year ago, predicting Hillary landslides.

Then they ended up cucked. And some Hamilton electors proposed stealing the election.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #917 on: December 28, 2017, 06:58:01 PM »

I think Trump has hit bottom. If he gets Obamacare finally repealed/replaced and real spending cuts (not holding my breath there) done in the first half of 2018, prepare for 50-60% approval.

You sound very out of touch with the average american voter.

Cutting spending would hurt Trump's approvals. The average american loves tax cuts and loves government spending. How the hell would cutting spending make Trump's approvals go up. People (unfortunately) hardly care about the national debt.

Just look at how the Obamacare repeal went. At some point, the approval for that health care plan was 20% approval 60% disapproval.

LOL every red avatar in here was out of touch with the "average American voter" a year ago, predicting Hillary landslides.

Then they ended up cucked. And some Hamilton electors proposed stealing the election.

Trump has been the best for the democrat party. We would have never gotten Doug Jones + 1.7 without Trump. I strongly approve of Trump Smiley
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #918 on: December 28, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »

But keep pushing out college-educated white people and minorities and wonder why the GOP loses everything. Smiley I don't feel welcome in the post-truth GOP party that poops on civil rights even harder than it used to.

They don't mind giving you up as long as they get at least one deplorable in return.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #919 on: December 28, 2017, 07:00:50 PM »

Trump has been the best for the democrat party. We would have never gotten Doug Jones + 1.7 without Trump. I strongly approve of Trump Smiley

A 3 year senate seat for an 8 year Presidency is an interesting trade. I approve!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #920 on: December 28, 2017, 07:08:27 PM »

A 3 year senate seat for an 8 year Presidency is an interesting trade. I approve!

AL-SEN wasn't the only election that will be affected by Trump.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #921 on: December 28, 2017, 07:10:09 PM »

8 years? He'll be lucky to make it to 4.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #922 on: December 28, 2017, 07:15:55 PM »

We got a 21 point swing in a Kansas house election. We got a 45 point swing in a recent Tennessee state house election. Don't worry - there'll be more incredible and historic losses that have never before been seen in America under your doofus-in-chief! Thanks for the albatross around the GOP, Krazeidiot. Smiley
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #923 on: December 28, 2017, 07:32:03 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if krazey was born stupid or if he was just hit too many times in the head by all those mean teachers.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #924 on: December 28, 2017, 07:33:37 PM »

Trump just tweeted about the Rasmussen poll. I think the amount of genuine hate I have for a polling company is unhealthy.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies