Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:08:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas  (Read 10948 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »

Clearly a deplorable.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »

Get lost.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2017, 05:26:07 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »

A CBS exec was fired for celebrating the deaths of  country fans and "Repugs" - apparently she never heard of Clay Aiken.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2017, 05:32:29 PM »

Terrible tragedy.  We have a cultural problem in this country.  And nobody should be allowed to own these mass murder machines (I dont know if they were purchased legally or not).
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2017, 05:54:39 PM »

Terrible tragedy.  We have a cultural problem in this country.  And nobody should be allowed to own these mass murder machines (I dont know if they were purchased legally or not).

Does that 'nobody' include the government, including law enforcement?

(I do not think that firearms by themselves protect the public from an oppressive government.)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2017, 05:59:18 PM »

Does that 'nobody' include the government, including law enforcement?

(I do not think that firearms by themselves protect the public from an oppressive government.)

No, that does not include the govt, obviously.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2017, 06:14:23 PM »

How many times do I have to hear this before something actually gets done? No, I'm not going to stand down on this. Another 50+ Americans are dead because we as a country have decided that guns are more important than human life. I don't say that with a smile on my face. I say that with fright and anger.

Well drugs are illegal and MANY people still use them. What would banning guns do?

People often use drugs to make themselves feel better, perhaps they are addicted (which is a mental health problem in the country). But guns are weapons of malicious intent, far too easy to obtain for someone mentally unstable to take down 50 innocent lives at a country music concert. Gun violence is one of many problems in this country, and as much as we don’t like dealing with problems (Global warming, debt, infrastructure), today absolutely is a day to debate what to do about guns, if only because our media attention span will move on in a week when the President goes off on another distracting Twitter want.

I’m an atheist, so prayers for the victims will do nothing IMO. It is a time for action on gun reform, just like it has since December 14, 2012 (Sandy Hook), or June 12, 2016 (Pulse nightclub).

I'm talking about drugs like heroin and meth. They are illegal but people still use them. So banning them or heavily regulating them will not keep it out of the hands of people who really want them.

Don't be naïve !
Of course more guns equals more deaths.
For the entire 2014 year in Japan, there were 6 gun deaths. The USA had 33,599 gun related deaths in the same year. In the US, more than 6 people a year can easily die from lightning strikes.
Just stop and think about those two numbers for a minute.

"So banning them" would make a HUGE difference. There is actual evidence/examples of this throughout the world. I know it will never be so in the USA, but we can put "heavy regulation" on guns, especially guns that are designed specifically to do nothing but to kill people in mass. Normal citizens don't need to own semi-auto or fully-auto guns for hunting, normal home protection, etc. Citizens don't also need normal access to buying bullet-proof vests or smoke-bombs, etc. These items should be for military or police use only.

PS: Your "what about drugs" theory is nothing but what-about-ism and deflection from the true story and topic here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38365729

All of this doesn't change the fact that people who want to kill other people will get these guns whether they're legal or not. All these gun control laws only affect law abiding citizens.

People in Japan, and in probably every society in the world, also have people with problems, anger, mental issues, etc. They all want to kill people too.
Japanese citizens with "problems" would love to have guns, but they are banned. So they cant just "get these guns whether they're legal or not." It is very, very, very hard to do so in Japan .... period.

So why are these people in Japan not "just getting them anyways" ??
Why ? I ask you ? Answer this one question ?
Don't you get it .... or are just trying to ignore the simple logic staring you in the face.

PS: Again, it's impossible to reverse things (and the mentality about firearms) and have a 100% gun ban in the USA. But, of course a strong ban can keep 99% of them out of a nation (like Japan) if that is their policy.

They're not getting them because they're not there. Thankfully in the US however, we have the right and privilege to own firearms.

Thank you !
You just agreed with what I was saying.

I agreed that the guns aren't in Japan. It's because they don't have the same constitutional rights we do. Thankfully, we have those rights in the United Statea. And I believe the people in Japan should as well.

"I'm willing to sacrifice tens of thousands of people a year for guns. Also, the Japanese should do the same."

I don't believe anybody is sacrificing anyone. Owning guns is our right whether you agree with it or not.

We all know it's our right (in the USA).
But why throw that right onto Japan ? There doing just fine without guns.
You seem to have a sadistic mentality about the issue : Misery loves company.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2017, 06:17:25 PM »

This thread seems to have gone downhill quickly.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »

Great short CNN video : "Where the Las Vegas shooter was positioned."

This video gives you a aerial view (and a map) of what the shooter would have seen, as he was shooting down onto the concert area and into the crowd of people.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/10/02/las-vegas-shooting-distance-locaton-details-maps-foreman-wolf.cnn/video/playlists/aftermath-of-las-vegas-strip-shooting/
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2017, 06:20:13 PM »

Are you guys finding some kind of kinky amusement in this tragedy ?
This is a strange photo, and some weird-ass comments.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2017, 06:20:18 PM »

Agreed. How dare people question the American gun cult!
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2017, 06:29:18 PM »

Agreed. How dare people question the American gun cult!
?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2017, 06:31:10 PM »

We need gun control NOW.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »

The President refused to call it "domestic terrorism" and did not call for action. I'm sick of politicians trying to grand stand.

His speech wasn't a call to action, it was useless grandstanding. Thus, it was inappropriate.

This is the brand of hypocritical hackery that drives me insane.

When the right would get mad that Obama would refuse to impulsively label tragedies as terrorist attacks, the left defended him by saying that he was a composed leader who didn't want to disrespect victims by politicizing the events. Trump takes that very course of action today...making a respectful statement that acknowledged the victims' families and thanked the first responders without fanning political flames...and you want to crucify him for it. I'd be willing to bet that if Obama was president and made the exact same speech word-for-word, you'd be hailing it as a levelheaded and presidential response.

As far as the rest of this thread, there are a lot of people who should be ashamed of themselves. Almost sixty people died as a result of this event. Sixty people who have families and friends who are in the wake of a horrible tragedy right now. Fathers and mothers who will never see their children again, and sons and daughters who will never see their parents again. To use such a terrible circumstance as a platform for "Trump is bad" is quite disrespectful and says a lot for your collective character.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2017, 06:32:45 PM »

A CBS exec was fired for celebrating the deaths of  country fans and "Repugs" - apparently she never heard of Clay Aiken.
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/353495-cbs-executive-fired-after-saying-las-vegas-victims-didnt-deserve-sympathy

I had read about this on the BBC's website but wanted something more than Fox News to confirm it was true. I see horrible people can be on both sides. Sad
Cashew
United States

« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2017, 06:36:41 PM »

How many times do I have to hear this before something actually gets done? No, I'm not going to stand down on this. Another 50+ Americans are dead because we as a country have decided that guns are more important than human life. I don't say that with a smile on my face. I say that with fright and anger.

Well drugs are illegal and MANY people still use them. What would banning guns do?

People often use drugs to make themselves feel better, perhaps they are addicted (which is a mental health problem in the country). But guns are weapons of malicious intent, far too easy to obtain for someone mentally unstable to take down 50 innocent lives at a country music concert. Gun violence is one of many problems in this country, and as much as we don’t like dealing with problems (Global warming, debt, infrastructure), today absolutely is a day to debate what to do about guns, if only because our media attention span will move on in a week when the President goes off on another distracting Twitter want.

I’m an atheist, so prayers for the victims will do nothing IMO. It is a time for action on gun reform, just like it has since December 14, 2012 (Sandy Hook), or June 12, 2016 (Pulse nightclub).

I'm talking about drugs like heroin and meth. They are illegal but people still use them. So banning them or heavily regulating them will not keep it out of the hands of people who really want them.

Don't be naïve !
For the entire 2014 year in Japan, there were 6 gun deaths. The USA had 33,599 gun related deaths in the same year. In the US, more than 6 people a year can easily die from lightning strikes.

"So banning them" would make a HUGE difference. There is actual evidence/examples of this throughout the world. I know it will never be so in the USA, but we can put "heavy regulation" on guns, especially guns that are designed specifically to do nothing but to kill people in mass. Normal citizens don't need to own semi-auto or fully-auto guns for hunting, normal home protection, etc. Citizens don't also need normal access to buying bullet-proof vests or smoke-bombs, etc. These items should be for military or police use only.

PS: Your "what about drugs" theory is nothing but what-about-ism and deflection from the true story and topic here.

All of this doesn't change the fact that people who want to kill other people will get these guns whether they're legal or not. All these gun control laws only affect law abiding citizens.

People in Japan, and in probably every society in the world, also have people with problems, anger, mental issues, etc. They all want to kill people too.
Japanese citizens with "problems" would love to have guns, but they are banned. So they cant just "get these guns whether they're legal or not." It is very, very, very hard to do so in Japan .... period.

Don't you get it .... or are just trying to ignore the simple logic staring you in the face.

PS: Again, it's impossible to reverse things (and the mentality about firearms) and have a 100% gun ban in the USA. But, of course a strong ban can keep 99% of them out of a nation (like Japan) if that is their policy.

They're not getting them because they're not there. Thankfully in the US however, we have the right and privilege to own firearms.

Thank you !

I agreed that the guns aren't in Japan. It's because they don't have the same constitutional rights we do. Thankfully, we have those rights in the United Statea. And I believe the people in Japan should as well.

"I'm willing to sacrifice tens of thousands of people a year for guns. Also, the Japanese should do the same."

I don't believe anybody is sacrificing anyone. Owning guns is our right whether you agree with it or not.

If you believe liberty is more important than security, would it not be a dereliction to avoid spreading those same views worldwide?
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2017, 06:44:02 PM »

Based on the gunshots from the videos I'm gonna say that Paddock had a RPK/RPD (something big shooting 7.62) which ya know aren't legal in the first place.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »

The shooter was apparently a multi millionaire.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2017, 06:59:51 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2017, 07:05:18 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Don't be naïve !

Thank you !

If you believe liberty is more important than security, would it not be a dereliction to avoid spreading those same views worldwide?

Everything we have here in the USA isn't perfect.
We don't do everything better than others in the world.
Our government(s) isn't top-notch, our schools are not the best, and thus our rights and "liberties" aren't necessarily there either.
Yes we do many, many things correctly. And other nations should be, and are, envious.

But THERE IS A POINT WHERE security overrides liberty.
Some wackos out there (and there are some) want the right to own and have pleasure in shooting bazookas (small shoulder firing missiles of any kind). I knew someone who went to the desert to watch others shoot one, at an old abandoned vehicle (just for fun and to watch).
Can you imagine the images of destruction on the news, when "the crazies" start using those on innocent people ?
Does our rights extend to these types of "guns" ? Should we allow the public to own these ?
Why not, someone might say .... "liberty is more important than security."
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2017, 07:59:18 PM »

In 1999 after Columbine, people said "Never Again." Now after 58 are killed in Las Vegas, people say "Oh well."
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2017, 08:00:26 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/353495-cbs-executive-fired-after-saying-las-vegas-victims-didnt-deserve-sympathy

I had read about this on the BBC's website but wanted something more than Fox News to confirm it was true. I see horrible people can be on both sides. Sad

What a dick.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies