Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:56:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas  (Read 11060 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »

And Mongolia has a different culture than the US.
Luxemburg has a different culture than the US.
Nigeria has a different culture than the US.

And to everyone's surprise, water is wet.

The argument may just be boiling down to something around the lines of "it's in our culture to shoot each other like this," which is utterly insane.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2017, 02:17:38 PM by Generally Useless »

And suspiciously often in that one forest, too
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »

How many times do I have to hear this before something actually gets done? No, I'm not going to stand down on this. Another 50+ Americans are dead because we as a country have decided that guns are more important than human life. I don't say that with a smile on my face. I say that with fright and anger.

Well drugs are illegal and MANY people still use them. What would banning guns do?

People often use drugs to make themselves feel better, perhaps they are addicted (which is a mental health problem in the country). But guns are weapons of malicious intent, far too easy to obtain for someone mentally unstable to take down 50 innocent lives at a country music concert. Gun violence is one of many problems in this country, and as much as we don’t like dealing with problems (Global warming, debt, infrastructure), today absolutely is a day to debate what to do about guns, if only because our media attention span will move on in a week when the President goes off on another distracting Twitter want.

I’m an atheist, so prayers for the victims will do nothing IMO. It is a time for action on gun reform, just like it has since December 14, 2012 (Sandy Hook), or June 12, 2016 (Pulse nightclub).

I'm talking about drugs like heroin and meth. They are illegal but people still use them. So banning them or heavily regulating them will not keep it out of the hands of people who really want them.

Don't be naïve !
Of course more guns equals more deaths.
For the entire 2014 year in Japan, there were 6 gun deaths. The USA had 33,599 gun related deaths in the same year. In the US, more than 6 people a year can easily die from lightning strikes.
Just stop and think about those two numbers for a minute.

"So banning them" would make a HUGE difference. There is actual evidence/examples of this throughout the world. I know it will never be so in the USA, but we can put "heavy regulation" on guns, especially guns that are designed specifically to do nothing but to kill people in mass. Normal citizens don't need to own semi-auto or fully-auto guns for hunting, normal home protection, etc. Citizens don't also need normal access to buying bullet-proof vests or smoke-bombs, etc. These items should be for military or police use only.

PS: Your "what about drugs" theory is nothing but what-about-ism and deflection from the true story and topic here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38365729

All of this doesn't change the fact that people who want to kill other people will get these guns whether they're legal or not. All these gun control laws only affect law abiding citizens.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »

And Mongolia has a different culture than the US.
Luxemburg has a different culture than the US.
Nigeria has a different culture than the US.

And to everyone's surprise, water is wet.

The argument may just be boiling down to something around the lines of "it's in our culture to shoot each other like this," which is utterly insane.

Yep. That's basically what Santander is saying.
"Japan has more suicides, and the USA has a "culture" to kill each other with guns. So let's just accept it."
Suicide is awful, but at least they are just harming themselves, not others. Here we just take our anger/problems/mental-issues out, on innocent people instead.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2017, 02:04:49 PM »

It's a bit more complicated than that, Al Indy: restricting access does in fact reduce supply (even for prohibitions corrected ineffective like alcohol). The question is whether the advantages of such a reduced supply to various malicious persons outweigh the negatives of effecting innocent hobbyists as a consequence.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2017, 02:20:04 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2017, 02:21:52 PM by ProudModerate2 »

How many times do I have to hear this before something actually gets done? No, I'm not going to stand down on this. Another 50+ Americans are dead because we as a country have decided that guns are more important than human life. I don't say that with a smile on my face. I say that with fright and anger.

Well drugs are illegal and MANY people still use them. What would banning guns do?

People often use drugs to make themselves feel better, perhaps they are addicted (which is a mental health problem in the country). But guns are weapons of malicious intent, far too easy to obtain for someone mentally unstable to take down 50 innocent lives at a country music concert. Gun violence is one of many problems in this country, and as much as we don’t like dealing with problems (Global warming, debt, infrastructure), today absolutely is a day to debate what to do about guns, if only because our media attention span will move on in a week when the President goes off on another distracting Twitter want.

I’m an atheist, so prayers for the victims will do nothing IMO. It is a time for action on gun reform, just like it has since December 14, 2012 (Sandy Hook), or June 12, 2016 (Pulse nightclub).

I'm talking about drugs like heroin and meth. They are illegal but people still use them. So banning them or heavily regulating them will not keep it out of the hands of people who really want them.

Don't be naïve !
For the entire 2014 year in Japan, there were 6 gun deaths. The USA had 33,599 gun related deaths in the same year. In the US, more than 6 people a year can easily die from lightning strikes.

"So banning them" would make a HUGE difference. There is actual evidence/examples of this throughout the world. I know it will never be so in the USA, but we can put "heavy regulation" on guns, especially guns that are designed specifically to do nothing but to kill people in mass. Normal citizens don't need to own semi-auto or fully-auto guns for hunting, normal home protection, etc. Citizens don't also need normal access to buying bullet-proof vests or smoke-bombs, etc. These items should be for military or police use only.

PS: Your "what about drugs" theory is nothing but what-about-ism and deflection from the true story and topic here.

All of this doesn't change the fact that people who want to kill other people will get these guns whether they're legal or not. All these gun control laws only affect law abiding citizens.

People in Japan, and in probably every society in the world, also have people with problems, anger, mental issues, etc. They all want to kill people too.
Japanese citizens with "problems" would love to have guns, but they are banned. So they cant just "get these guns whether they're legal or not." It is very, very, very hard to do so in Japan .... period.

So why are these people in Japan not "just getting them anyways" ??
Why ? I ask you ? Answer this one question ?
Don't you get it .... or are just trying to ignore the simple logic staring you in the face.

PS: Again, it's impossible to reverse things (and the mentality about firearms) and have a 100% gun ban in the USA. But, of course a strong ban can keep 99% of them out of a nation (like Japan) if that is their policy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2017, 02:24:46 PM »

Thankfully my wife and I are fine, as is everybody else we personally know.  Luckily we were nowhere near the Strip.  We've heard at least one friend of a friend was killed, however, and another shot in the back but stable.

The lines for blood drives are wrapped around the buildings.  Please donate to the Red Cross if you can.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »

Don't be naïve !

People in Japan, and in probably every society in the world, also have people with problems, anger, mental issues, etc. They all want to kill people too.
Japanese citizens with "problems" would love to have guns, but they are banned. So they cant just "get these guns whether they're legal or not." It is very, very, very hard to do so in Japan .... period.

Don't you get it .... or are just trying to ignore the simple logic staring you in the face.

PS: Again, it's impossible to reverse things (and the mentality about firearms) and have a 100% gun ban in the USA. But, of course a strong ban can keep 99% of them out of a nation (like Japan) if that is their policy.

They're not getting them because they're not there. Thankfully in the US however, we have the right and privilege to own firearms.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »

Don't be naïve !

They're not getting them because they're not there. Thankfully in the US however, we have the right and privilege to own firearms.

Thank you !
You just agreed with what I was saying.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »

Not long ago we had a thread where people were asked what issue they disagreed with their own “side” on. About nine liberals all said guns in quick succession. When you can’t even get the majority of your own side to support you, it’s futile to talk about it.

That’s terrible, Joe. When it gets to friends of friends it already hits close to home.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2017, 02:39:18 PM »

Strange/Odd fact that was just released about the gunman (PS, the gunman was a retired "accountant") :

His father was a bank robber who spent years on the FBI's most-wanted list, said brother Eric Paddock. The FBI lists the late Benjamin Hoskins Paddock as being on the FBI's most-wanted list from June 10, 1969 until May 5, 1977.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »

Thankfully my wife and I are fine, as is everybody else we personally know.  Luckily we were nowhere near the Strip.  We've heard at least one friend of a friend was killed, however, and another shot in the back but stable.

The lines for blood drives are wrapped around the buildings.  Please donate to the Red Cross if you can.
Glad to hear you're alright.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2017, 02:43:34 PM »

I dare not even imagine the difference in fallout there would be if the shooter had been Muslim.
The white shooter was a Muslim.

You are literally citing ISIS as a source.
I can not believe how many people mostly Trump supporters are believing ISIS claim that he was Muslim and converted months ago.

Seriously? The people who would blame this attack on ISIS agree with ISIS's belief that they are the only pure and true representatives of Islam. Not shocking to me in the slightest.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2017, 02:44:51 PM »

Glad to hear you're alright.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »

Don't be naïve !

Thank you !

I agreed that the guns aren't in Japan. It's because they don't have the same constitutional rights we do. Thankfully, we have those rights in the United Statea. And I believe the people in Japan should as well.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »

Don't be naïve !

Thank you !

I agreed that the guns aren't in Japan. It's because they don't have the same constitutional rights we do. Thankfully, we have those rights in the United Statea. And I believe the people in Japan should as well.

Well Japan does have a strong honor and personal responsibility culture so it probably wouldn't be as bad there with guns. Americans never take personal responsibility, it's always someone else's fault, just like big children maybe they need a time out from a lot of those guns since people can't help themselves.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2017, 03:54:10 PM »

What ever happened to the increased mental health funding that Republicans supposedly supported before? Oh, that's considered "nanny state welfare", gotcha. Also the crusade against taking guns away from mentally unfit people due to Alzheimer's, etc shows that nothing will ever be done with the current Congress.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2017, 03:54:18 PM »

Don't be naïve !

Thank you !

"I'm willing to sacrifice tens of thousands of people a year for guns. Also, the Japanese should do the same."
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »

Watch nothing change.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2017, 04:00:48 PM »

Don't be naïve !

Thank you !

Well Japan does have a strong honor and personal responsibility culture so it probably wouldn't be as bad there with guns. Americans never take personal responsibility, it's always someone else's fault, just like big children maybe they need a time out from a lot of those guns since people can't help themselves.

I agree.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2017, 04:02:09 PM »

Don't be naïve !

Thank you !

"I'm willing to sacrifice tens of thousands of people a year for guns. Also, the Japanese should do the same."

I don't believe anybody is sacrificing anyone. Owning guns is our right whether you agree with it or not.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2017, 04:17:41 PM »

What ever happened to the increased mental health funding that Republicans supposedly supported before? Oh, that's considered "nanny state welfare", gotcha. Also the crusade against taking guns away from mentally unfit people due to Alzheimer's, etc shows that nothing will ever be done with the current Congress.

I haven't seen any evidence the shooter had Alzheimers.

Wasn't trying to say it was the case this time. Just that whole outrage by the NRA about "the government will declare you mentally unfit and take your guns away if this passes" was the fear mongering over not letting people with decreased mental capacity in old age or otherwise have guns.

I don't know how that's any more fear mongering than responding to acts of violence by taking away rights from disabled people who didn't have anything to do with it.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2017, 04:31:25 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2017, 04:35:03 PM by Jacobin American »

What a legend. Didn’t even put down his canned beer.

1. I hope this man lived
2. Somebody needs to interview him
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »

1. I hope this man lived
2. Somebody needs to interview him

USA! USA!
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2017, 04:34:19 PM »

At last, 'Bama Indy and I have something we agree on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies