$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:30:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 79
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 111546 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: December 02, 2017, 12:17:53 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't think the GOP will get full-control of all three branches for some time after they lose it.

In fact, I think the 2020's will be dominated by a divided congress (GOP controls Senate, Democrats control House). But there might be a small window where Democrats control everything and that is when they should go for broke.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1351 on: December 02, 2017, 12:19:39 AM »

I don't think the GOP will get full-control of all three branches for some time after they lose it.

In fact, I think the 2020's will be dominated by a divided congress (GOP controls Senate, Democrats control House). But there might be a small window where Democrats control everything and that is when they should go for broke.

This is exactly what Reid thought too. "Oh, the GOP will never be in control again".

And you can't just restore the filibuster when you're about to lose power. It's the precedent that matters. Once one side does it, the other feels entitled to do it.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #1352 on: December 02, 2017, 12:20:34 AM »

Off-topic, but Democrats need to get rid of the filibuster for good.

I am feeling petty, but I want to steamroll these bastards the next time we control everything.

NO!

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!

THAT'S A HORRIBLE IDEA!!

DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH THE GOP WOULD BE ABLE TO DO ONCE THEY GOT IN POWER?

THE REASON TRUMP HAS BEEN ABLE TO STACK THE FEDERAL BENCH WITH VERY CONSERVATIVE JUDGES IS BECAUSE HARRY REID, THE IDIOT THAT HE WAS, ENDED THE JUDICIAL FILIBUSTER.

Wrong, the reason for so many vaccancies in the first place was Leahy's blue slip stupidity.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #1353 on: December 02, 2017, 12:21:24 AM »

This is exactly what Reid thought too. "Oh, the GOP will never be in control again".

And you can't just restore the filibuster when you're about to lose power. It's the precedent that matters. Once one side does it, the other feels entitled to do it.
I hope that the filibuster doesn’t get repealed.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1354 on: December 02, 2017, 12:22:25 AM »

THE REASON TRUMP HAS BEEN ABLE TO STACK THE FEDERAL BENCH WITH VERY CONSERVATIVE JUDGES IS BECAUSE HARRY REID, THE IDIOT THAT HE WAS, ENDED THE JUDICIAL FILIBUSTER.

Eh, given what we've seen from Republicans since Trump was elected, it is highly likely they would have gutted the filibuster once Democrats started slowing down judicial nominations. The only difference would then be that some of Trump's cabinet picks/etc would be different due to Dem opposition, but Trump would also have even more federal judicial vacancies to fill because we would have let Republicans block Obama nominees instead of getting rid of the filibuster to confirm them prior to Jan 2015.

I haven't seen anything from Republicans to suggest otherwise. They are tearing through anything that stands in their way. It's quite remarkable, actually. Republicans in the Reagan era have lost it.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1355 on: December 02, 2017, 12:22:34 AM »

Unless your parents are One Percenters, your tax savings might be enough to pay for a couple of dinners at Red Lobster.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1356 on: December 02, 2017, 12:23:25 AM »

Off-topic, but Democrats need to get rid of the filibuster for good.

I am feeling petty, but I want to steamroll these bastards the next time we control everything.

NO!

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!

THAT'S A HORRIBLE IDEA!!

DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH THE GOP WOULD BE ABLE TO DO ONCE THEY GOT IN POWER?

Wrong, the reason for so many vaccancies in the first place was Leahy's blue slip stupidity.

For the vacancies, sure. But if there was a judicial filibuster, he'd probably have to appoint some more moderate judges.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #1357 on: December 02, 2017, 12:24:11 AM »

THE democrats most hate Tim Kaine and middle class tax cuts.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1358 on: December 02, 2017, 12:24:33 AM »

So, in addition to all the Republicans, all the Dem presidential hopefuls (Warren, Gillibrand, etc.) are voting against the Kaine amdmt.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1359 on: December 02, 2017, 12:25:00 AM »

At 31-66 currently.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1360 on: December 02, 2017, 12:25:14 AM »

THE democrats most hate Tim Kaine and middle class tax cuts.

Sure
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1361 on: December 02, 2017, 12:25:44 AM »

How often do bills pass both houses of congress, but then fail in conference committee?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1362 on: December 02, 2017, 12:26:12 AM »

Eh, given what we've seen from Republicans since Trump was elected, it is highly likely they would have gutted the filibuster once Democrats started slowing down judicial nominations. The only difference would then be that some of Trump's cabinet picks/etc would be different due to Dem opposition, but Trump would also have even more federal judicial vacancies to fill because we would have let Republicans block Obama nominees instead of getting rid of the filibuster to confirm them prior to Jan 2015.

I haven't seen anything from Republicans to suggest otherwise. They are tearing through anything that stands in their way. It's quite remarkable, actually. Republicans in the Reagan era have lost it.

By the same logic, wouldn't the Republicans have already gotten rid of the legislative filibuster at this point? I'm going to extend the rate benefit of the doubt to them in this case, although I think you are right in the rest of your post about how it's better to have 4 extra years of Obama appointments to the bench.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1363 on: December 02, 2017, 12:26:15 AM »

Who gives a ****?

The GOP is already going around the filibuster with their use of reconciliation.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1364 on: December 02, 2017, 12:27:06 AM »

How often do bills pass both houses of congress, but then fail in conference committee?

I dunno.

And if you're to believe Sen. Schatz:

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/936755130904600576
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #1365 on: December 02, 2017, 12:29:52 AM »

I dunno.

I think if ACA is precedent there is too much to risk if they can get it through the house as is
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1366 on: December 02, 2017, 12:30:29 AM »

I dunno.

Schatz is trolling. Paul Ryan has already scheduled the procedural vote to appoint members of the Conference Committee for 6:30 ET Monday.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1367 on: December 02, 2017, 12:30:41 AM »

If there were no filibusters we'd just keep going back and forth between ultraconservative periods, ultraprogressive periods, and stagnant periods.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1368 on: December 02, 2017, 12:31:09 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2017, 12:36:33 AM by Dwarven Dragon »

Anyways, Kaine fails 34-65.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1369 on: December 02, 2017, 12:32:12 AM »

I dunno.

Schatz is trolling. Paul Ryan has already scheduled the procedural vote to appoint members of the Conference Committee for 6:30 ET Monday.

See Panda above.

With the ACA, they originally were doing a conference committee. Then Scott Brown won and the Democrats lost their 60th vote. So they just sent the Senate bill (with no public option) into the House because they had no other option.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1370 on: December 02, 2017, 12:34:08 AM »

If there were no filibusters we'd just keep going back and forth between ultraconservative periods, ultraprogressive periods, and stagnant periods.

Fine by me.

Our policies vs theres. I think will win that fight.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1371 on: December 02, 2017, 12:34:30 AM »

I really wish the Rubio/Lee Admendment passed and that they got rid of more special interest loopholes. The private jet provision should also be scrapped. I'm very happy that the Cruz admendment was adopted.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1372 on: December 02, 2017, 12:35:07 AM »

By the same logic, wouldn't the Republicans have already gotten rid of the legislative filibuster at this point? I'm going to extend the rate benefit of the doubt to them in this case, although I think you are right in the rest of your post about how it's better to have 4 extra years of Obama appointments to the bench.

Not necessarily. Democrats/liberals lose out more with a legislative filibuster because many big things we want to do then take 60 votes. Meanwhile, big things conservatives want to do, like cutting taxes and spending on liberal stuff can be done with bare majorities. I'm sure conservatives have their own dreams that require 60 votes right now, but they get by pretty well with the status quo.

Also consider that even without a legislative filibuster, after Democrats go buck wild in their turn with a federal trifecta, and enact a slew of new social programs, Republicans would be hard-pressed to roll those back due to the inevitable backlash. It's very hard to take those things away once they are implemented, hence why Republicans would want to keep a filibuster to block them from ever being implemented in the first place.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1373 on: December 02, 2017, 12:35:25 AM »

Fine by me.

Our policies vs theres. I think will win that fight.

Did you forget 2010, 2014 and 2016, mate?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1374 on: December 02, 2017, 12:35:33 AM »

"we have to pass it to find out what's in it"

That's what Nanci Pelosi said about Obamacare.

That's the point.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies