ARPAIO PARDONED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:36:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ARPAIO PARDONED
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: ARPAIO PARDONED  (Read 7407 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2017, 09:23:02 PM »

It's extremely weird that he pardoned him before the judicial process ran it's course....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2017, 09:23:33 PM »

I'm sorry for my comments. I hope I can be forgiven. Please.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2017, 09:23:48 PM »

Maybe he thinks nobody will notice with the hurricane about to make landfall.

That seems to be the right sort of stupid to pass for cunning in what passes for his brain.

If North Korea does nuke the US, Il Duce Grand Wizard Fuher so-called President Trumpolini's immediate response will probably be to pardon himself.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2017, 09:23:54 PM »

He needs to be removed.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2017, 09:24:03 PM »

Disgusting. everyone who made this happen should be ashamed of themselves.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2017, 09:25:05 PM »

I better not see any Republican declaring their party as the party of constitutionalists. Not after everything this piece of sh**t of a President has done.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »

For what? Using his constitutional authority? You need to impeach and remove somebody for a reason besides disagreeing with somebody politically.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2017, 09:28:52 PM »

For what? Using his constitutional authority? You need to impeach and remove somebody for a reason besides disagreeing with somebody politically.

The only reason why Arpaio was pardoned was because he agreed with Trump so...
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2017, 09:30:51 PM »

This is true.  The President has an absolute right to pardon anyone in a Fedreal case (except possibly himself, which is an unresolved legal question.)

However, the people also have a right: to remember the pardon, and to judge him for it.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2017, 09:34:18 PM »

I think we should amend the Constitution to give Congress the power to overrule a pardon, even if it's like a 90% threshold or something (and also to limit how many people he can pardon, even if it's in the thousands). There has to be a check on this power. In theory he could pardon everybody in the federal criminal justice system.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:19 PM »

This is true.  The President has an absolute right to pardon anyone in a Fedreal case (except possibly himself, which is an unresolved legal question.)

However, the people also have a right: to remember the pardon, and to judge him for it.

President Trump is a Real Man and issues his pardons prior to the election! Remember when Slick pardoned his half brother and Marc Rich but only after the election?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2017, 09:39:40 PM »

For using his constitutional authority unwisely. Pardoning racist thug Arpaio is one more bit of proof (not that more was needed) that Trump is unfit to hold the office. That alone is sufficient justification to impeach him. That he has not been impeached should to destroy the Republican Party in coming years.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »

Exactly.

POTUS can pardon anyone he wants and I have the right to judge him for it.

He pardoned a man who clearly violated the law and thought he was above it. And he only did so because he is a racist and agrees with him.

**** Donald Trump. I said it before, but I would pay good money to go to his funeral.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2017, 09:42:37 PM »

For using his constitutional authority unwisely. Pardoning racist thug Arpaio is one more bit of proof (not that more was needed) that Trump is unfit to hold the office. That alone is sufficient justification to impeach him. That he has not been impeached should to destroy the Republican Party in coming years.
But that's not illegal, it's still legal to pardon Arpaio whether or not you like the man. You can't be impeached for pardoning somebody that you don't like. It's not a crime.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2017, 09:43:36 PM »

I think we should amend the Constitution to give Congress the power to overrule a pardon, even if it's like a 90% threshold or something (and also to limit how many people he can pardon, even if it's in the thousands). There has to be a check on this power. In theory he could pardon everybody in the federal criminal justice system.

The pardon power was intended by the Founders as one of the checks and balances.  It provides the executive with a check on the courts, for a situation like an out of control court jailing people for political reasons.

The check on the president abusing the power is for Congress to impeach him.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »

Exactly.

He pardoned a man who clearly violated the law and thought he was above it. And he only did so because he is a racist and agrees with him.

**** Donald Trump. I said it before, but I would pay good money to go to his funeral.
I completely agree that you can hold him accountable in November 2018/2020 but most people who get pardoned have broken the law or been found guilty by a court. Chelsea Manning and everybody else in the history of this nation have been convicted and "clearly violated the law", but I never saw you saying that Obama or Bush or Clinton should be impeached because they pardoned somebody. You just don't like the guy who he pardoned.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2017, 09:48:48 PM »

Exactly.

I completely agree that you can hold him accountable in November 2018/2020 but most people who get pardoned have broken the law or been found guilty by a court. Chelsea Manning and everybody else in the history of this nation have been convicted and "clearly violated the law", but I never saw you saying that Obama or Bush or Clinton should be impeached because they pardoned somebody. You just don't like the guy who he pardoned.

Obama didn't pardon Manning. He commuted her sentence after she served seven years in prison.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2017, 09:48:50 PM »

But that's not illegal, it's still legal to pardon Arpaio whether or not you like the man. You can't be impeached for pardoning somebody that you don't like. It's not a crime.

Well, the president can be impeached for "high crimes and misdemeanors".  This is whatever Congress says it is; it doesn't actually have to be a statuary violation.  One of the articles of impeachment against Nixon was for "abuse of power" -- not a legal violation, but certainly a good reason to remove him.
Anti-Bothsidesism
Somenamelessfool
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2017, 09:51:23 PM »

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2017, 09:54:06 PM »

Trump seems dead set on stoking a race war and to be honest...this country probably isnt worth saving anymore anyway

The country has been in a race war long before Trump, my friend...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »

Not following how this is going to make Arizona all of a sudden blue.. 95% of people won't care.  It's a local sheriff..

3x the population of Maine in a single county out in the middle of some hot desert?  people sure are strange sometimes.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2017, 09:54:44 PM »

You don't seem to understand how impeachment works. Here's the relevant passage:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

As the relevant wikipedia page makes clear, High Crimes and Misdemeanors covers all or any crime that abuses office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_crimes_and_misdemeanors

Deciding whether pardoning a racist criminal thug and campaign supporter who committed crimes under the cover of law warrants impeachment is very much up to Congress. But they certainly can do so, and if they do they're just as much acting under their authority as Trumpolini is by issuing this pardon.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2017, 09:57:46 PM »

Trump seems dead set on stoking a race war and to be honest...this country probably isnt worth saving anymore anyway

The country has been in a race war long before Trump, my friend...

Hence why I dont see it lasting much longer...what happens when whites are a minority?

It's not going to look good...it's going to be ugly...that's all.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2017, 09:59:13 PM »

McCain condemns the pardon.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2017, 10:03:45 PM »

And in the process made Flake look like a complete coward.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies