Would a Biden/Sanders ticket win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:39:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Would a Biden/Sanders ticket win?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would a Biden/Sanders ticket win?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Would a Biden/Sanders ticket win?  (Read 2942 times)
Higgins
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »

Could a Biden/Sanders ticket defeat Trump/Pence? What would the map look like?
twenty42
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »

I don't think a 78-year-old and a 79-year-old on the same ticket would be practical.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »

Maybe. Sanders wouldn't know how to play his role. He's too thirsty for the limelight.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »

I think they would kick a**, unfortunately
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »

I mean, of course Biden/Sanders could win, but there are some serious issues with that ticket:

1. Joe Biden would probably never choose Bernie as his VP.
2. Bernie would probably never want to be VP.
I don't think a 78-year-old and a 79-year-old on the same ticket would be practical.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:52:13 PM »

lol SO EASY WIN
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »

Maybe. Sanders wouldn't know how to play his role. He's too thirsty for the limelight.
This is probably the stupidest thing that I've ever read from an Atlas Democrat so far.

The ticket would kick ass, but the problem with it is age. If Biden or Sanders is the nominee, they have to pick someone much younger, preferably under 65 years old, to take their place if they die. IMO a Biden/Merkley ticket, or a Sanders/Warner ticket, would be better.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »

This is probably the stupidest thing that I've ever read from an Atlas Democrat so far.

The ticket would kick ass, but the problem with it is age. If Biden or Sanders is the nominee, they have to pick someone much younger, preferably under 65 years old, to take their place if they die. IMO a Biden/Merkley ticket, or a Sanders/Warner ticket, would be better.

Warner will be 65 by Inauguration Day, lmao.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 05:48:20 PM »

Their combined ages going into 2020 subtracted from 2020 would go back to when Abraham Lincoln was President.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 06:37:56 PM »

Their combined ages going into 2020 subtracted from 2020 would go back to when Abraham Lincoln was President.

Unrelated, but fun fact:

Former Dodgers baseball announcer Vin Scully, who retired last season after 67 years calling professional baseball, began his career in 1950 calling games for the (then) Brooklyn Dodgers.

That year was Hall of Fame player and manager Connie Mack's last year in professional baseball. Scully's final year calling games included games pitched by Julio Urias of the Dodgers. Mack was born in 1862, Urias was born in 1996. Scully's career could then be connected from someone born during the Civil War to someone born during Bill Clinton's first term.

Time is incredible.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »

I think they would kick a**, unfortunately
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 06:46:17 PM »

A ticket with a combined age of 200 is going to have some problems.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 06:48:46 PM »

So let me get this straight - you Bernie bros despise Clinton, Pelosi, et al. but are perfectly fine with one of the most conservative Senate Democrats?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »

So let me get this straight - you Bernie bros despise Clinton, Pelosi, et al. but are perfectly fine with one of the most conservative Senate Democrats?

They also despise Joe Manchin so I doubt their grievances are race/gender based; though Warner is clearly one of the more conservative minded Democrats.

Unrelated, but fun fact:

Former Dodgers baseball announcer Vin Scully, who retired last season after 67 years calling professional baseball, began his career in 1950 calling games for the (then) Brooklyn Dodgers.

That year was Hall of Fame player and manager Connie Mack's last year in professional baseball. Scully's final year calling games included games pitched by Julio Urias of the Dodgers. Mack was born in 1862, Urias was born in 1996. Scully's career could then be connected from someone born during the Civil War to someone born during Bill Clinton's first term.

Time is incredible.

I remember I posted a comment on a Reddit thread asking an amazing historical fact and I said that more Americans died in the American civil war than WWII even when you account for the 80 year technological change between those two periods..

More people were surprised by the fact that WWII and the civil war were only 80 years apart though so that was interesting. Tongue
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 07:06:10 PM »

Let me know what is stupid about the fact that Bernie Sanders is clearly someone who does not want to be VP and play second fiddle to someone like Biden. Especially when you consider Bernie's rabid supporters and their asinine purity tests. But whatever.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 08:10:11 PM by TheLeftwardTide »

Warner will be 65 by Inauguration Day, lmao.

I missed that, fair enough. The point is, they should be young enough that it's unlikely that they'll die in office. I would be fine in altering this to "less than or equal to" - one year doesn't make too much of a difference. These are just general guidelines - a 66-year-old in great health is preferable to a 55-year-old in a terrible physical condition.

When did I say, or imply, that I like Warner? I actually dislike him quite vehemently. However, a presidential ticket should be well-balanced, with the two candidates being from different wings of the party, unless if you want to cater to a specific demographic. Examples of the former include FDR/Garner, Kennedy/LBJ, and Obama/Biden. An example of the latter would be Clinton/Gore (both southerners).

I originally thought of Bill Nelson, but he has the age problem as well. I think that a moderate Southerner who currently holds office would contrast Sanders quite well and can possibly pick up some of the Democratic voters that aren't too pleased with Sanders. Kaine was on the 2016 ticket, Bel Edwards should really just stay as LA-GOV, and so that really only leaves McAuliffe and Warner. Warner seems to have more of a WWC appeal, along with being a national politician, so I went with him.

Let me know what is stupid about the fact that Bernie Sanders is clearly someone who does not want to be VP and play second fiddle to someone like Biden. Especially when you consider Bernie's rabid supporters and their asinine purity tests. But whatever.

Let me know when you find sufficient evidence to back up your claim. I don't think Sanders wants to, or will be VP, but not because of some obscure personality quirk that you're talking about.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 07:49:48 PM »

I mean, of course Biden/Sanders could win, but there are some serious issues with that ticket:

1. Joe Biden would probably never choose Bernie as his VP.
2. Bernie would probably never want to be VP.
Higgins
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 07:58:49 PM »

A ticket with a combined age of 200 is going to have some problems.

Against what will be a 74 year old President and a 62 year old Vice President? Age isn't really a factor here.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:29 PM »

Let me know when you find sufficient evidence to back up your claim. I don't think Sanders wants to, or will be VP, but not because of some obscure personality quirk that you're talking about.
Um.... the entire 2016 Democratic primary is what backs up my claim. I said what I said and meant it. Have a nice evening!
DK_Mo82
Rookie
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 08:50:57 PM »

Why would Bernie want to be Veep when he has more power as a senator?
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 08:52:23 PM »

No because they'd never be on the same ticket. They share literally nothing in common.
DK_Mo82
Rookie
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 08:59:05 PM »

No because they'd never be on the same ticket. They share literally nothing in common.

Biden has been like a teflon man. He has done the things people dislike about other old Dems, like voted for Iraq and was a friend to the credit card companies but you have to be if you represent Delaware.  You could also call him a foreign policy hawk.  But a lot of people who don't like Hillary or even Obama over these issues forgive Biden. Whether that would still be the case if he ran for president for the third time I don't know.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »

But a lot of people who don't like Hillary or even Obama over these issues forgive Biden. Whether that would still be the case if he ran for president for the third time I don't know.

This is why Biden can't be discounted in 2020 simply because of his age. He's incredibly likable and charismatic and his gaffes aren't as much of a hindrance as people have made them out to be. He could probably successfully synthesize the Sanders and Obama visions of the Party together even when his record is taken into account.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 12:25:59 AM »

Please tell me more about your deep psychological insight into people you will never meet and clearly have strong negative political opinions on.
Um.... the entire 2016 Democratic primary is what backs up my claim. I said what I said and meant it. Have a nice evening!
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 12:27:05 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 12:39:20 AM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

Please tell me more about your deep psychological insight into people you will never meet and clearly have strong negative political opinions about.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies