UK General Discussion: 2017 and onwards, Mayhem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:40:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2017 and onwards, Mayhem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 79
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2017 and onwards, Mayhem  (Read 219970 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: September 16, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1026 on: September 16, 2018, 10:50:30 PM »

Now that Salisbury has got the world's attention as the number one destination for tourists in the UK, I think it is a suitable time for the local Italian restaurants to life their game.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-17/two-people-ill-in-salisbury-where-former-spy-was-poisoned/10254318

The Bacon Carbonara in Cream Sauce is to die for.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1027 on: September 18, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »

If anyone cares Vince Cable managed to wet himself in public today by calling Brexit an 'exotic Spresm' after it was briefed overnight he'd call it an 'erotic spasm'.

Very thick of it, and very Lib Dem.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1028 on: September 18, 2018, 11:53:58 PM »

If anyone cares Vince Cable managed to wet himself in public today by calling Brexit an 'exotic Spresm' after it was briefed overnight he'd call it an 'erotic spasm'.

Very thick of it, and very Lib Dem.

CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN OF CONFLICT
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1029 on: September 19, 2018, 09:16:32 PM »

lol, the entitlement on the Tories' part is truly pathetic. But then again, entitlement has been the core value of the Tories' social base for almost three centuries now.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #1030 on: September 20, 2018, 12:41:03 AM »

lol, the entitlement on the Tories' part is truly pathetic. But then again, entitlement has been the core value of the Tories' social base for almost three centuries now.

What historical event are you referring to?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1031 on: September 20, 2018, 05:31:24 AM »

^^ well the Island of Ireland was carved into two in a sectarian way ?!

Also, the Nazis did occupy the Channel Islands.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1032 on: September 20, 2018, 12:58:09 PM »

^^ well the Island of Ireland was carved into two in a sectarian way ?!

Also, the Nazis did occupy the Channel Islands.

Neither Ireland nor Jersey and Guernsey would be part of Britain though...
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1033 on: September 20, 2018, 01:02:36 PM »

... moving on from the trivialities, this could be the beginning of the end of May, this government, and possibly Brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45586010
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1034 on: September 20, 2018, 02:37:34 PM »

^^ well 🤓

To the surprise of precisely nobody.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1035 on: September 20, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »

lolmaylol

What historical event are you referring to?

Not one specific historical event, but the modern Tories emerged in the mid-18th century didn't they (I know there was a Tory party in the days of the Stuarts, but it wasn't really the same)?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1036 on: September 21, 2018, 06:19:18 AM »

Everyone with a brain saw this happening a year ago when we signed up to the backstop. If May wasn't an incompetent fantasist she would have spent 2018 preparing her own party for a border in the Irish sea, but after months of telling everyone who would listen that would be a threat to our constitutional integrity she has zero room to maneuver. So the only thing May can do is plow blindly on with Chequers and hope something comes up.

Fortunately we'll have a general election soon and a Labour-led government to solve it.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1037 on: September 21, 2018, 07:04:18 AM »

An early general election requires a successful no-confidence vote or a 2/3 vote in the Commons.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1038 on: September 21, 2018, 07:46:25 AM »

The idea that May is going to call a general election after what happened last time is pretty fanciful. I can't tell if Corbyn's insistence on one is either a cover tactic so after the fact he can go 'at I least I tried guvnor' or whether he really is delusional enough to think that May is going to call an election because he wants one.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1039 on: September 21, 2018, 08:24:52 AM »

Corbyn absolutely wants an election. He probably anticipates (rightly) that an election pre-March 2019 will expose fatal fractures in the Tory party; Labour would win by default. He likely sees this as a chance to impose a far more leftward set of policies than has been politically tolerable for decades.

Silent Hunter's correct about the parliamentary mechanics of calling an early vote, but at this stage they are little more than ceremony. If a true political crisis materializes - one where the May government (or a rapidly installed Tory replacement) has excluded all options save a no-Deal crash out - then the financial, constitutional, and social tumult that would accompany such a situation would compel a drastic reassessment. An election wouldn't be guaranteed, but the obstacle to it would not be parliamentary arithmetic.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #1040 on: September 21, 2018, 08:36:17 AM »

Also opposition leaders always call for early elections all of the time no matter how the government is doing because not doing so makes them look weak which isn’t what they want.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1041 on: September 21, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »

The idea that May is going to call a general election after what happened last time is pretty fanciful.

It's not about what May wants. If no Brexit deal can get through parliament then there's no alternative.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1042 on: September 21, 2018, 11:43:32 AM »

The idea that May is going to call a general election after what happened last time is pretty fanciful.

It's not about what May wants. If no Brexit deal can get through parliament then there's no alternative.

Ok, so my desire to get the Tories out of office and Corbyn in agree with you, as does the 'common sense' part of my brain that figures, like you, that they must have an election if they can't pass a Brexit deal because all other options will have been exhausted ...

... but I honestly cannot imagine the Tories in that situation willingly abdicating their power and submitting to an election they would not only likely lose, but lose in such a way that their party and its ideology (or at least its Eurosceptic aspects) would fall into eclipse for a generation. I have no idea what they could or would do instead, but as the saying goes: turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

At the very least, I see the sequence of events leading to an election before March 2019 to be far less likely than the sequence of events that would see the ERG and/or DUP capitulate and accept the Irish backstop, with an agreement barely squeaking through in parliament. I hope I'm wrong on that, though.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #1043 on: September 21, 2018, 11:53:54 AM »

Ok, so my desire to get the Tories out of office and Corbyn in agree with you, as does the 'common sense' part of my brain that figures, like you, that they must have an election if they can't pass a Brexit deal because all other options will have been exhausted ...

... but I honestly cannot imagine the Tories in that situation willingly abdicating their power and submitting to an election they would not only likely lose, but lose in such a way that their party and its ideology (or at least its Eurosceptic aspects) would fall into eclipse for a generation. I have no idea what they could or would do instead, but as the saying goes: turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

At the very least, I see the sequence of events leading to an election before March 2019 to be far less likely than the sequence of events that would see the ERG and/or DUP capitulate and accept the Irish backstop, with an agreement barely squeaking through in parliament. I hope I'm wrong on that, though.

Who are they?
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1044 on: September 21, 2018, 11:56:26 AM »

Who are they?

ERG in this context stands for the European Research Group, an informal collection of Europhobic Tory MP zealots. It was formed back in the 90s, but for the past 5 years they have been the unofficial policy mouthpiece on Brexit within the Tory Party, with (regrettably) ever greater influence and power.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1045 on: September 21, 2018, 12:29:40 PM »

[...] as the saying goes: turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

They do if the only other choice is Thanksgiving. (At least here in the U.S. they would.)
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1046 on: September 21, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »

It's absolutely about what May wants because she's the Prime Minister and she commands a majority in the House of Commons. Of course, divisions over Brexit might put an end to that majority, but it's pretty unlikely to galvanise 2/3rds of the House against her. If no deal can get through Parliament, then May will shrug her shoulders and the Tories will lead us through a no-deal Brexit. It would obviously be a disaster, but when was the last time the Tories put national interest over their own self-survival? (And of course, disaster may well be unavoidable at this point anyway.)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1047 on: September 21, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »

It's absolutely about what May wants because she's the Prime Minister and she commands a majority in the House of Commons. Of course, divisions over Brexit might put an end to that majority, but it's pretty unlikely to galvanise 2/3rds of the House against her.

Except a motion of no confidence only needs a majority.

There is no majority in Parliament for a deal. There is no majority in Parliament for no deal either. Therefore, the dissolution of Parliament is inevitable.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1048 on: September 21, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »

Would the Tories let May call a new election over Brexit? After all, that's been done before. How well did that end up?
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1049 on: September 21, 2018, 01:45:56 PM »

It's absolutely about what May wants because she's the Prime Minister and she commands a majority in the House of Commons. Of course, divisions over Brexit might put an end to that majority, but it's pretty unlikely to galvanise 2/3rds of the House against her.

Except a motion of no confidence only needs a majority.

There is no majority in Parliament for a deal. There is no majority in Parliament for no deal either. Therefore, the dissolution of Parliament is inevitable.

What reason would any Tory MP have to vote down their own government? I have no doubt some of them despise May and her Brexit strategy from both sides of the spectrum, and will happily vote down her or any deal, but not a single one of them is going to vote against their own government on a confidence motion and risk PM Corbyn. As for the DUP, they certainly wouldn't risk that.

Again, it doesn't matter if there's no majority for a deal. The Tories are self-preservationists and will happily enact Brexit without so much as a leaving postcard if it keeps them in government.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies