Should Donald Trump be removed from office?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:06:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Donald Trump be removed from office?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should Donald Trump be removed from office?
Yes(Democrat)

No(Democrat)

Undecided(Democrat)

Yes(Republican)

No(Republican)

Undecided(Republican)

Yes(Independent/Other)

No(Independent/Other)

Undecided(Independent/Other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Should Donald Trump be removed from office?  (Read 2202 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:11:34 PM »

Given the latest revelations about Trump and how he tried to get Comey to shut down the Flynn investigation and that he shared classified information with the Russians, impeachment is increasingly on the political radar. A new poll showed that by a 6% margin, 47-41, Americans support the impeachment of President Trump. Do you believe President Trump should be impeached and removed from office? Please also identify what party you are or if you are Independent/Other.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »

No, unless more stories are revealed that are damaging. No one didn't die.

Clinton should not have been impeached in 1998-1999, but it was what it was.

Unless a crime was committed, I don't think so.

Wait and see. It doesn't look good right now.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »

You're really mailing it in these days.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »

For what?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »

Obstruction of justice(that's how they got Nixon, not the actual break-in).
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »

Sour grapes of course.

The Democrat party lost the election and wants a coup against the elected President. Sad!
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 09:21:44 PM »

He's not well in the head.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 09:25:19 PM »

No, unless more stories are revealed that are damaging. No one didn't die.

Nixon's dirty tricks didn't kill anyone.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Consensual sex -- "none of your business".

Obstruction of justice is a crime. Betrayal of national secrets is a crime. Money laundering is a crime. Extortion is a crime.  

So ambiguous as to be meaningless.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 09:28:44 PM »

Yes and as soon as possible.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 09:32:51 PM »

No. Let's not rush into things like Trump does. That's childish.

Let's let this stuff play itself out. If something comes up that is illegal and it's actually an impeachable offense, then let it play itself out in court or however they decide these things.

I think it's obvious that Trump is just a clown who doesn't really know what he's doing. He's bumbling his way around politics and is bound to make mistakes.

I don't think he is intentionally trying to be evil. He's just a clown.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 09:47:14 PM »

I didn't not vote for the man, but I'll wait to see what else he does.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2017, 09:52:03 PM by TD »

Ok so you did vote for Trump. Got it.

Yes (R). Obstruction of justice (1 count), endangering national security through hiring and retaining Flynn,  possibly others based on Russa.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »

Ok so you did vote for Trump. Got it.

Yes (R). Obstruction of justice (1 count), endangering national security through hiring and retaining Flynn,  possibly others based on Russa.

I did not vote for Trump. I didn't vote for him. Wait and see for any damaging information.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »

I did not vote for Trump. I didn't vote for him. Wait and see for any damaging information.

Who'd you vote for then?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 09:59:31 PM »

Who'd you vote for then?

I voted for Hillary Clinton. I decided around mid-October.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 10:00:19 PM »

Honestly, as a Dem, I'm not 100% strategically if I support it.

1. It makes him a martyr to his supporters. I don't want to create a hero out of our objectively worst President yet (and neither, I would presume, does the ghost of James Buchanan).

2. Pence will be more effective. And I am honestly far more afraid of more Republican inaction on climate change, curtailing of civil rights, and corporate welfare than I am of Trump.

3. He has very likely committed obstruction of justice, but until there is no shadow of a doubt that he has, the case is weak.

I support impeachment talk though because it riles people up, and we see how that worked for the GOP in 2010 and us in 2006.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 10:10:22 PM »

Sour grapes of course.

The Democrat party lost the election and wants a coup against the elected President. Sad!

If the Democrat that I had helped get elected had compromised national security, enriched himself in shady dealings while President, and had obstructed justice -- then you would want him gone.

So would I.

The last thing that I want is a coup. We could witness the replacement of  the pinhead of a President that we now have with a Pinochet, which is a raw deal for everyone.

I want the President impeached and removed even if that implies that we end up with an even-more objectionable  pol as President. The big thing is to ensure that we have a Vice-President with some integrity, which is all that I can hope for as a Democrat. As it is the succession to the Presidency is a rogue's gallery of extremists, cronies, and yes-men.

I understand that this (if Pence also goes) may save Republican majorities in both Houses of Congress and most state legislatures.  It is more important that we have  free and fair elections in 2018 and 2020 than that they go a certain way.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 10:11:48 PM »

Honestly, as a Dem, I'm not 100% strategically if I support it.

1. It makes him a martyr to his supporters. I don't want to create a hero out of our objectively worst President yet (and neither, I would presume, does the ghost of James Buchanan).

2. Pence will be more effective. And I am honestly far more afraid of more Republican inaction on climate change, curtailing of civil rights, and corporate welfare than I am of Trump.

3. He has very likely committed obstruction of justice, but until there is no shadow of a doubt that he has, the case is weak.

I support impeachment talk though because it riles people up, and we see how that worked for the GOP in 2010 and us in 2006.

Strategically, Democrats should hope that there is very hard evidence that Trump is guilty as hell, but that less than 17 GOP Senators vote to remove him from office (with Manchin and Heitkamp voting in his favor). That'd piss off 65% of the public, amd Flake and Heller, if they voted to remove, would be attacked from all sides. The Dems in red states are probably fine no matter how they decide to vote at that point.

Were this to happen, Cruz would probably be in serious peril too, and governorships in states like Iowa and Ohio might come back into play. But I would like to think that too many GOPers are more principled than we give them credit and it won't unfold like this.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 10:34:59 PM »

Let's let this stuff play itself out. If something comes up that is illegal and it's actually an impeachable offense, then let it play itself out in court or however they decide these things.

I think it's obvious that Trump is just a clown who doesn't really know what he's doing. He's bumbling his way around politics and is bound to make mistakes.

After a certainly level of incompetence, evil doesn't enter into it.

They key point I think is that he's so stupid and narcissistic that he's incapable of living up to his oath of office. And violating that oath has been a key element of all impeachment proceedings in the history of the US.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 11:06:39 PM »

Republicans want to impeach Trump? This is too good to be true!
Cashew
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 11:18:33 PM »

No we need to wait until his approval rating is at least under 20% so his cult can be isolated and crushed quickly when they get violent. If he is removed now there will be room for conspiracy theorists to promote revisionism of this abomination. I know this sounds like exaggeration, but impeaching him so soon will make this the next lost cause, or stab in the back, therefore he needs to stay a while longer, until the monstrosity is universally reviled.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 11:45:30 PM »

No we need to wait until his approval rating is at least under 20% so his cult can be isolated and crushed quickly when they get violent. If he is removed now there will be room for conspiracy theorists to promote revisionism of this abomination. I know this sounds like exaggeration, but impeaching him so soon will make this the next lost cause, or stab in the back, therefore he needs to stay a while longer, until the monstrosity is universally reviled.

His floor is probably about 35% since that pretty much is his cult. That said I don't support removal at the current time, as the constant self-inflicted failures are the only thing slowing the right-wing agenda.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 12:12:17 AM »

After a certainly level of incompetence, evil doesn't enter into it.

They key point I think is that he's so stupid and narcissistic that he's incapable of living up to his oath of office. And violating that oath has been a key element of all impeachment proceedings in the history of the US.

I do think Trump is narcissistic, but I don't think he's is stupid in all things. He seems to be very smart in real estate, business, and reality TV. (Oh, and conning people...he's king of that.) He should have stayed in those realms, but his ego got the best of him. He probably is incapable of living up to his oath of office -- the oath he took while not really knowing what he was doing -- and if he needs to be impeached before he quits the job himself, then so be it.

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 12:29:59 AM »

If the contents of the Comey memo can be corroborated, then yes, Trump should be impeached and removed from office. Asking Comey to "let go" of the Flynn investigation is obstruction of justice in and of itself as well as abuse of office. On top of that, the retaliatory firing of Comey potentially represents a separate count of obstruction of justice.

I believe that regardless of partisan political considerations, any President who commits an offense as egregious as what Trump has done should be impeached. We have to make an example of Trump to show that our Constitution is strong enough to withstand the machinations of one corrupt leader.

That being said, let's address the "won't Pence be worse?" argument.  Yes, a President Pence would potentially be more effective than Trump at implementing the conservative agenda. But he'd also be taking office in an incredibly weakened state. Assuming the impeachment happened before the midterms, I don't think that replacing Trump with Pence would do much to blunt the resulting anti-Trump Democratic wave. As long as the fallout is bad enough for Democrats to capture at least one house of Congress, Pence's ability to do damage to the country would be severely curtailed. Under such circumstances I can't imagine Pence going into 2020 in nearly as strong of a position as the average incumbent president.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 12:39:33 AM »

If the contents of the Comey memo can be corroborated, then yes, Trump should be impeached and removed from office. Asking Comey to "let go" of the Flynn investigation is obstruction of justice in and of itself as well as abuse of office. On top of that, the retaliatory firing of Comey potentially represents a separate count of obstruction of justice.

Please see the CNN article I linked in the other thread. I do think Comey's testimony can be corroborated. Comey documented everything he ever said or discussed with Trump.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies