WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:08:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 61
Author Topic: WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin  (Read 143141 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: May 09, 2018, 10:06:29 PM »

Just lol

lmao @ Blankenship making a public statement about an industry causing deaths
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #576 on: May 09, 2018, 10:09:28 PM »

Just lol

Swamp captain Concaineperson has done it again.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #577 on: May 10, 2018, 12:41:39 PM »

Politico editorial on the race. It was hacking of them to put King Lear on their payroll.
https://politi.co/2I1Uf3E
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #578 on: May 10, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »

Based Blankenship....the madman!

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #579 on: May 10, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »

Please proceed
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #580 on: May 10, 2018, 02:35:24 PM »

Blankenship will run as a write-in.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #581 on: May 10, 2018, 06:10:43 PM »

Please proceed
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #582 on: May 10, 2018, 06:36:44 PM »

Please proceed
Only 1/5 primary voters supported him. A very small percent would support him or vote against the gop.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #583 on: May 10, 2018, 09:29:16 PM »

Glad to see that Blankenship is still fighting for West Virginia and against SCMM and Puppet Patrick. Morrisey will lose by double-digits.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #584 on: May 10, 2018, 10:03:12 PM »

Glad to see that Blankenship is still fighting for West Virginia and against SCMM and Puppet Patrick. Morrisey will lose by double-digits.

SCMM... Senator Cocaine Mitch McConnell?
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #585 on: May 10, 2018, 10:06:14 PM »

RIP Cocaine Mitch
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #586 on: May 10, 2018, 10:10:39 PM »

Swamp Captain Mitch McConnell
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #587 on: May 10, 2018, 10:17:52 PM »

Swamp Captain Mitch McConnell

Ah got it
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #588 on: May 10, 2018, 10:28:49 PM »

Roll Eyes
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #589 on: May 10, 2018, 10:38:05 PM »

Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #590 on: May 10, 2018, 10:51:52 PM »

In hindsight, maybe publicly taunting a volatile coal billionaire wasn't the best play by Swamp Captain Mitch. All that cocaine must be affecting his judgement.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #591 on: May 11, 2018, 01:33:05 AM »

FWIW, I talked to my uncle today about this race. He's from WV originally, is a strong Trumpist, and instilled in our family a deep hatred of Blankenship and his practices. He's rooting for Blankenship now.

Why? He's become so disillusioned with the hypocrisy of the FBI/DoJ in regards to how they handled Trump/Clinton that he's become convinced that Blankenship's prosecution may have been political the whole time. And while I don't entirely agree, I can't help but think that a) that kind of thinking is more than justified even if I disagree in this individual case, b) I think many West Virginians agree.

These people aren't dumb hicks. The relative in question here spends his days driving a truck, and he listens to NPR, C-SPAN, and the SiriusXM channels literally all day. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of Russiagate's timeline that I envy, as I've long lost track of what all has transpired. He and his octogenarian mother who still lives up there talk about this stuff. This story isn't being ignored by Trump Country; quite the contrary, they're following it far more intensely than the opposition, and their rage is growing stronger.

It's part of the reason why I think that Trump will be reelected and that the midterms will largely be a draw. I'm actually beginning to think that Blankenship can actually win, in the sense that if he can win over my Uncle of all people, than he probably can win over enough swing voters to win in general.

Another thing to take into account is that Joe Manchin is unpopular, especially since he shamelessly used a thousand year flood for a bunch of photo-ops and a trip to the Greenbriar. His approvals are starting to drop off dramatically, and I think his attempt to portray himself as the real populist in the race is threatened by Blankenship in a way that Jenkins or Morrissey would envy.

Of course Blankenship is a criminal coal executive billionaire and a complete fraud, but whatever. If there is anything I've learned about politics from observing and participating, its the economy message stupid! Trump is living proof that a proper message can overcome even the most odious character flaws.

I don't think Blankenship is another Roy Moore though. Roy Moore's scandals came out after he won the primary. I think Blakenship, like Trump, has already aired out his dirty laundry.

TL;DR: A bunch of anecdotal regurgitations of what my relatives up there are thinking and what the informal consensus in (at least their immediate) bubble is like.

BTW, I hope Sanchez's uncle becomes a regular feature of prediction threads.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #592 on: May 11, 2018, 06:31:37 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2018, 06:55:45 AM by UWS »

Right now, Don Blankenship is acting like an agent of the Democratic Party working to make sure that Joe Manchin wins re-election. He is not endorsing Morrisey and pledged to work against him. The moreover that he has threaten to run in 2020 against Trump. So in some ways, if you allow me the expression, Blankenship is now working for Chuck Schumer. I mean the person who benefits the most from Blankenship’s actions is Chuck Schumer.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #593 on: May 11, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »

Yes, please let Blankenship and his deplorables help the Democrats. They belong there Smiley.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #594 on: May 11, 2018, 07:35:34 PM »

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" might actually be true for once though there is a chance that Blankenship finds some way to humiliate Manchin by association. The guy might just be an agent of chaos.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #595 on: May 11, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »

Yes, please let Blankenship and his deplorables help the Democrats. They belong there Smiley.

I'm terrified to ask, but what do you mean by this?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #596 on: May 11, 2018, 09:25:59 PM »

Well Blankenship essentially self-funded the creation of the Republican Party in West Virginia, prior to getting sent to the slammer and serving time for actions that resulted in the deaths of almost 30 Coal Miners....

He obviously feels extremely betrayed by the Republican Establishment, as well as by Donald J. Trump...

Although personally I think the dude is scum, he actually still has a significant chunk of support among Registered Republicans and Independents in West Virginia....

I very much doubt the dude is going to go away anytime soon, especially considering his major personal motivations now appear to be a mixture of both redemption and revenge against those he perceives have wronged him and betrayed him when he was going through the Criminal Justice Process, and after he came out of the 'Pen....

Interesting wild card going on here....
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #597 on: May 12, 2018, 05:52:28 AM »

This isn't exactly anything new and it's not something new post primary:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/don-blankenship-wont-rule-out-third-party-bid-west-virginia-senate-race-2018-05-06/

Before the primary, Blankenship said he did not trust Morrisey due to his connections to the Opioid Crisis, had Jenkins won Blankenship would not have tried to stop him.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #598 on: May 12, 2018, 07:45:54 AM »

Politico editorial on the race. It was hacking of them to put King Lear on their payroll.
https://politi.co/2I1Uf3E
Stopped reading as soon as it said "muh map".
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #599 on: May 12, 2018, 11:55:16 AM »

I'm terrified to ask, but what do you mean by this?

Oh, I was just kidding. Nowadays Democrats love to paint the GOP as the party of dumb hicks ('deplorables') who back rapists like Roy Moore or literal murderers like Blankenship because of populism, so I guess it would be nice irony to see Blankenship (and his voters, who probably would have been Dems a decade ago) help the Democrats. I assume most of Blankenship's voters are fine people who feel neglected and ignored (either economically or in other ways) and voted for Blankenship because of that. And I guess some of them actually are vile racists who belong in neither party.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies