France 2017: Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:44:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  France 2017: Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: France 2017: Results Thread  (Read 141683 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 23, 2017, 01:05:56 PM »

TF1 estimate

Le Pen 23
Macron 23
Melenchon 19
Fillon 19
Hamon 7

Sorry, but what are these numbers based on?  Exit poll?  Early vote tally?  If the latter, then how many votes went into the tally, and from where?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 01:09:32 PM »

That was such a joke. American polling sites need to stay out of European elections. 538 also though the UK 2015 election would see the birth of a six party system. Lol.

But what's the alternative explanation for why all the polls agreed so much, if not herding?  Polls agreeing with each other by much better than the margin of error says they should is highly suspicious, regardless of what methodology they're using.  That's not some clever Nate Silver punditry.  That's just basic math.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:11:40 PM »

TF1 estimate

Le Pen 23
Macron 23
Melenchon 19
Fillon 19
Hamon 7

Sorry, but what are these numbers based on?  Exit poll?  Early vote tally?  If the latter, then how many votes went into the tally, and from where?

Prognosis, which should be accurate.

Prognosis based on what?

TF1 estimate

Le Pen 23
Macron 23
Melenchon 19
Fillon 19
Hamon 7

https://www.lefigaro.fr/elections/resultats/

I'm sorry, but how does that link answer the question?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »

That was such a joke. American polling sites need to stay out of European elections. 538 also though the UK 2015 election would see the birth of a six party system. Lol.

But what's the alternative explanation for why all the polls agreed so much, if not herding?  Polls agreeing with each other by much better than the margin of error says they should is highly suspicious, regardless of what methodology they're using.  That's not some clever Nate Silver punditry.  That's just basic math.

Well I am by no means a polling expert and I generally avoid the analysis associated with them, but from what I understand, French polling is much more accurate than American methods and even when they are wrong they are very much within a small margin of error; 2002 being the most obvious example which showed that error translate into a shocking upset.

You can't beat the margin of error.  I mean, you can beat it once in a while, but not on a consistent basis.  Every poll has a statistical margin of error that's derived from the number of people being sampled.  On top of that, there's systematic error that stems from whether you're constructing your sample well or not.  Now maybe French polls are really good at beating the systematic error down to nothing.  But statistical error is impossible to beat.  Again, this doesn't require any specialized local knowledge of France or French polling to say that.  It's just stats.  So if that's what Silver was saying (and that's what he seemed to be saying) then I think he's absolutely right.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies