Southern Chamber of Delegates Thread-Introduce Legislation Here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:56:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Chamber of Delegates Thread-Introduce Legislation Here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Southern Chamber of Delegates Thread-Introduce Legislation Here  (Read 10657 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2017, 05:53:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Same rules we've had since the session begun, Cuber.
Thank you for pointing that out, Ben. I forgot to answer that part of the question.
diptheriadan

« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2017, 02:20:00 PM by Dipper »

Amendment to Article IV, Section 1 of the Southern Constitution-

I will be willing to go down, but I think this would help increase interest in running and would give the Chamber time to do things.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2017, 02:16:43 PM »

I will be willing to go down, but I think this would help increase interest in running and would give the Chamber time to do things.
Are you assuming you're elected, or are you looking for a sponsor? I'd be willing to sponsor this if you make it an odd number, preferably 7 or just leave it at 5.
diptheriadan

« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2017, 02:19:44 PM »

Are you assuming you're elected, or are you looking for a sponsor? I'd be willing to sponsor this if you make it an odd number, preferably 7 or just leave it at 5.

Alright, it's down to seven. Thanks for sponsoring it.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »

We barely got 6 candidates to run this time... This would only decrease activity. Elections should be competitive. We also shouldn't have a legislature that is about 10% of the population...
diptheriadan

« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2017, 02:22:48 PM »

We barely got 6 candidates to run this time... This would only decrease activity. Elections should be competitive. We also shouldn't have a legislature that is about 10% of the population...

I would think that by crowding the entire field with known names and incumbents would scare off potential candidates. It certainly did to me when I first came to Atlasia. I've also never been swayed by the "Huge Legislature" argument. The largest part of the game is legislating. If people want to legislate, I believe they should do so, no matter how much it takes of the population.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2017, 02:45:49 PM by Delegate JustinTimeCuber »

Is this okay? I think it was Fremont that did something like this.
[/quote]
Sponsor: JustinTimeCuber on behalf of diptheriadan
diptheriadan

« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2017, 02:40:12 PM »

Yep, that's good.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2017, 02:46:51 PM »

I would think that by crowding the entire field with known names and incumbents would scare off potential candidates. It certainly did to me when I first came to Atlasia. I've also never been swayed by the "Huge Legislature" argument. The largest part of the game is legislating. If people want to legislate, I believe they should do so, no matter how much it takes of the population.

I wouldn't say your experience is reflective of the entire populace, certainly wasn't for me. People are welcome to run for office, but the biggest part of the game is elections, not legislating even though that's a large part. I know of no region that has ever gone above 5 legislators just due to the fact that it makes the game not fun, and would likely result in me or my successor appointing 1 or 2, and possibly more legislators to the Chamber. Working with a 7 member assembly would be much more difficult, when we cannot even get all 5 members to vote or even do anything, in our current one.

I understand the desire for inclusion, and desiring everyone to get experience, but I see nothing that currently bars individuals from running for the Chamber, or from getting elected if they run and run well. Elected Office shouldn't be given, it must be earned. That's the biggest "lesson", that I have learned in this game.
diptheriadan

« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »

I would be open to making it a public referendum.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2017, 03:51:02 PM »

I would be open to making it a public referendum.

Well, our constitution requires a referendum on any Constitutional Amendment. So it would have to...

JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2017, 12:02:22 AM »

Pre-filing the following legislation:

Sponsor: JustinTimeCuber

[/quote]

Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2017, 06:06:31 AM »

Pre-filing the following legislation:

[/quote]
Why do you support killing old grandmothers? You sick cruel hearted bastard.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2017, 07:24:06 AM »

Why do you support telling sick old grandmothers that they have to suffer thought a terminal illness? Sounds like you're the "sick cruel hearted bastard". If you're going to resort to stupid personal attacks, kindly f off Smiley

I'd listen to your argument if you didn't use said personal attacks.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2017, 07:55:21 AM »

Why do you support telling sick old grandmothers that they have to suffer thought a terminal illness? Sounds like you're the "sick cruel hearted bastard". If you're going to resort to stupid personal attacks, kindly f off Smiley

She does not have to suffer through her horrible illness. There is something called palliative care. My great grandmother befrore she passed away last year had palliative care treatment. The doctors and others brought what she needed to our home so she could die in peace. One way that suicide is immoral and specifically doctor assisted suicide is because it degrades the human person and their human rights. It violates the doctrine of human rights passed by the United Nations that guarantees the right to life for every individual. It proclaims the fundamental rights of the human person, including respect for his dignity and his value. It also violates the International Medical Code of Ethics which doctors swear to protect human life. The act of suicide whether it is by a doctor or by oneself is taking away a human life, you are literally killing somebody. In the modern day our medicine has advanced so much that pain can be taken away through morphine. With greater access to palliative care one does not have to suffer intolerably like you are saying. An example of this is with some old people, they may request PAS because they don't want to a burden on their caretakers or they might not want to bring their family into deep financial debt even though they are going to die. So they take the cheap pill and get it over with. This just devalues human life it makes us as a people less caring because we can kill one another. It gives unprecedented power to physicians to kill a patient. An example of this is the arguement against the death penalty, when in the past some people have been wrongly executed. Some people, while very few of them, can be given wrong diagnosis and some might decide to have PAS when they might not have that illness. I'd love to work to create better access to palliative care but the legalization of killing sick, old and helpless people is immoral and reprehensible and that's why I said that to you.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2017, 08:04:03 AM »

She does not have to suffer through her horrible illness. There is something called palliative care. My great grandmother befrore she passed away last year had palliative care treatment. The doctors and others brought what she needed to our home so she could die in peace. One way that suicide is immoral and specifically doctor assisted suicide is because it degrades the human person and their human rights. It violates the doctrine of human rights passed by the United Nations that guarantees the right to life for every individual. It proclaims the fundamental rights of the human person, including respect for his dignity and his value. It also violates the International Medical Code of Ethics which doctors swear to protect human life. The act of suicide whether it is by a doctor or by oneself is taking away a human life, you are literally killing somebody. In the modern day our medicine has advanced so much that pain can be taken away through morphine. With greater access to palliative care one does not have to suffer intolerably like you are saying. An example of this is with some old people, they may request PAS because they don't want to a burden on their caretakers or they might not want to bring their family into deep financial debt even though they are going to die. So they take the cheap pill and get it over with. This just devalues human life it makes us as a people less caring because we can kill one another. It gives unprecedented power to physicians to kill a patient. An example of this is the arguement against the death penalty, when in the past some people have been wrongly executed. Some people, while very few of them, can be given wrong diagnosis and some might decide to have PAS when they might not have that illness. I'd love to work to create better access to palliative care but the legalization of killing sick, old and helpless people is immoral and reprehensible and that's why I said that to you.
Do you have the right to free speech? Yes, totally. Can I force you to go on the streets and protest?

What's the POINT of keeping someone alive to suffer greatly, if you know they will die anyway. People should be allowed to make the decision of what to do at that point, not the big government which you say you're against.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2017, 03:41:44 PM by Delegate JustinTimeCuber »

Let's do better

Pre-filing this, and withdrawing other version.
Wanna put this 2nd in the queue so

1. Trannies are people act
2. This
3. Rich CEOs sûk act
4. Reducing Electoral Accountability Amendment
5. Freesh**t 4 workers
6. Killing grandmas act
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2017, 11:46:07 AM »

if you're talking about the legislative assembly thing; that's Single Transferrable Vote and not AV - there are still online calculators that exist but they are all awful (they force you to enter each vote separately without any way to double check things, plus they actually don't transfer things properly so you end up having votes transferring to candidates that are already over the surplus but haven't had their votes transferred yet: which only ends up unfairly devaluing some peoples votes because their votes end up going to two other candidates that don't need them with decreases their value incorrectly) so doing it by hand is probably a better method.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2017, 11:49:51 AM »

if you're talking about the legislative assembly thing; that's Single Transferrable Vote and not AV - there are still online calculators that exist but they are all awful (they force you to enter each vote separately without any way to double check things, plus they actually don't transfer things properly so you end up having votes transferring to candidates that are already over the surplus but haven't had their votes transferred yet: which only ends up unfairly devaluing some peoples votes because their votes end up going to two other candidates that don't need them with decreases their value incorrectly) so doing it by hand is probably a better method.
Full discretion is given to the Election Administrator.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2017, 01:38:34 PM by IDS Delegate Ben Kenobi »

Actually, we're still under the rules, Mr. Cuber.

All of this 'pre filed' legislation isn't actually 'pre-filed'.

It is, however introduced, just like normal.

For those wondering how the rules work, all bills filed after I lifted the injunction are now pre-filed, as bill 2 took effect.

Bills filed before are considered to be 'introduced' under the old rules prior to Bill 2 successfully taking effect.

Also, for the future reference of Mr. Cuber.

His amendment specifies the certification of the election. You cannot pre-file legislation until after the election is certified.

Peebs did not certify the election until 12:21:57 by the atlas clock. Which is after Mr. Cuber introduced his legislation.

All of his bills are thus 'introduced' and not pre-filed.

Read it and weep, Cuber. Wink

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2017, 01:21:09 PM »

I am pre-filing this legislation

The clause 'who is not the Speaker' is struck.

This clause shall be struck

This clause shall be struck, and amended to the following. "Ballots cast shall follow the same rules for validity as under the Federal voting laws of atlasia."

This entire section shall be struck.

The number 6 will be replaced by the number 2. Also sections b and c will be struck.

This shall be struck.

This shall be struck

This shall be struck

This shall be struck

This shall be struck

The clause, "The presiding officer may ignore amendments that he or she deems frivolous, functionally impractical, or unconstitutional at his or her discretion" Shall be struck

This shall be amended to add the following clause:

This shall be struck
[/quote]
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2017, 01:22:00 PM »

I am pre-filing this bill

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2017, 01:23:17 PM »

I am pre-filing this bill on behalf of diptheriadan

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2017, 01:24:03 PM »

I am pre-filing this bill on behalf of Classic Conservative

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2017, 01:25:25 PM »

I am pre-filing this bill on behalf of Classic Conservative

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies