VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:26:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 73
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 161518 times)
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: November 01, 2017, 10:26:33 PM »

The truck ad was half of that money. And the campaign still had to approve it, or go through the motions of approving it, as the law states.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1426 on: November 01, 2017, 10:27:06 PM »

Alright now I'm starting to roll my eyes. This was a poorly thought-out ad, but the number of people who actually saw it may actually be less than the number of people outraged on Twitter.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1427 on: November 01, 2017, 10:28:50 PM »

Alright now I'm starting to roll my eyes. This was a poorly thought-out ad, but the number of people who actually saw it may actually be less than the number of people outraged on Twitter.

The ad only seems much more relevant because we're all on edge sucking down coffee and/or energy drinks all day while refreshing Virginia election-related pages.

In the end it probably won't make a difference one way or the other.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1428 on: November 01, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »

You really need to stop looking for "worrying signs" of Northam blowing it on Twitter. It's not healthy

Each of these events in particular isn't going to destroy Northam. Its when they build up, controversy after controversy, national media latches on, narratives are formed, campaigns continue to stumble, than it worsens. Basically what happened to Hillary last year.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1429 on: November 01, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »

Greenberg has no clue what he is talking about. One of the big criticism you have heard from members of the left and minority voters is the fact that Northam has stayed clear from those issues and has talked up the economy.

I am so sick and tired of the useless dead weight in this party.

And ironically it is Gillespie who has really made culture war stuff his calling card. Greenberg is just talking out of his butt to stay relevant, as evidenced by his expert analysis that reads as if by someone who is analyzing the wrong election.

Yup, it is hilariously bad take.

I am just tired of out state Democrats lecturing us about what we need to do to win elections here.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #1430 on: November 01, 2017, 10:30:02 PM »

I love that people are outraged at Democrats having the audacity...nay, temerity to call the racist GOP pols racist while Gillespie is out there calling Northam a pedophile.

I hate the GOP with a burning passion.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1431 on: November 01, 2017, 10:30:56 PM »

You really need to stop looking for "worrying signs" of Northam blowing it on Twitter. It's not healthy

Each of these events in particular isn't going to destroy Northam. Its when they build up, controversy after controversy, national media latches on, narratives are formed, campaigns continue to stumble, than it worsens. Basically what happened to Hillary last year.

From my perch up in Ohio, I can confidently assure you the national media isn't saying boo about this race, much less some dumb ad.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1432 on: November 01, 2017, 10:33:55 PM »

dude no one give a flyin f**k about this ad outside of people who are twitter politics nerds who already had their minds up. the media is hardly even covering it. you have to look it up. It's not on any main pages of any Virginia news sites. Normal people are only hearing about the terror attack and the indictments.

Northern Virginia has more "twitter politics nerds" than anywhere else in the country.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1433 on: November 01, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »

Hell, I am in central VA and the news has pretty much ignored this "controversy".
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1434 on: November 01, 2017, 10:35:04 PM »

From my perch up in Ohio, I can confidently assure you the national media isn't saying boo about this race, much less some dumb ad.

You're right about the coverage on the ad, but there's literally been 65 "democrats panic in Virginia" stories in the past month.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #1435 on: November 01, 2017, 10:35:27 PM »

LimoLiberal bro you need to CALM DOWN.

And if you're upset, go volunteer. Knock on some doors, make some calls, talk to your friends and loved ones about voting, have them make plans to vote.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1436 on: November 01, 2017, 10:35:27 PM »

dude no one give a flyin f**k about this ad outside of people who are twitter politics nerds who already had their minds up. the media is hardly even covering it. you have to look it up. It's not on any main pages of any Virginia news sites. Normal people are only hearing about the terror attack and the indictments.

Yeah, I just did a quick review of the main VA news papers and the stories on this ad is nowhere. I've only seen the big push for it on the rightwing fringes.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1437 on: November 01, 2017, 10:37:43 PM »

You're right about the coverage on the ad, but there's literally been 65 "democrats panic in Virginia" stories in the past month.

Almost all of this has come from national democrats. Local Democrats think that Northam is up by about 5-6 points (local Republicans have admitted they think Northam is up too, but low single digits).
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1438 on: November 01, 2017, 10:39:00 PM »

And if you're upset, go volunteer. Knock on some doors, make some calls, talk to your friends and loved ones about voting, have them make plans to vote.

My house is literally a democratic canvass center. Don't wanna say more that could dox myself (not like anybody cares). You're right about being upset, I just feel like there's been misstep after misstep with the Northam campaign, along with simplistic media coverage and the cynicism that Virginians will buy in to Gillespie's racism. Gonna go to bed now, hope there's a poll or something tomorrow.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1439 on: November 01, 2017, 10:42:05 PM »

More on this
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1440 on: November 01, 2017, 10:42:26 PM »

I'm ready for this race to be over so Gillespie can go back to the depths of the sewer where most GOP operatives live when they have nothing better to do. Both Democrats and Republicans are trying to make Governor Gillespie happen, when it really is not going to happen.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #1441 on: November 01, 2017, 10:42:44 PM »

Yeah, I just did a quick review of the main VA news papers and the stories on this ad is nowhere. I've only seen the big push for it on the rightwing fringes.
And bed-wetting liberals on Twitter.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #1442 on: November 01, 2017, 10:43:45 PM »

My house is literally a democratic canvass center. Don't wanna say more that could dox myself (not like anybody cares). You're right about being upset, I just feel like there's been misstep after misstep with the Northam campaign, along with simplistic media coverage and the cynicism that Virginians will buy in to Gillespie's racism. Gonna go to bed now, hope there's a poll or something tomorrow.
This is good. I had many freak out moments working for Maggie Hassan. This is one of them. It will pass.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1443 on: November 01, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »

I know they are shameless, but conservatives willingness to argue in bad faith still amazes me.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1444 on: November 01, 2017, 11:02:28 PM »

The ad only seems much more relevant because we're all on edge sucking down coffee and/or energy drinks all day while refreshing Virginia election-related pages.

In the end it probably won't make a difference one way or the other.

Oddly enough I'm really not that stressed about it, and neither are most of my VA Dem friends and colleagues. Obviously all this built-up angst surrounding the race comes from the shock of the 2016 election, but I have faith in that this state will deliver more statewide Dem victories like it has in every race since 2009. Idk, maybe I'm operating on outdated political philosophies, but I feel like recent history still matters.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1445 on: November 01, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »

They get away with it because most Americans still see Republicans as the patriotic party and the party of fiscal responsibility, however nonsensical that is. Democrats have done a piss-poor job in combatting the perception on both those fronts.

They need to just start all wearing American flag-emblazoned suits in Congress and start saying that they're the ones fighting for the little guy and that the Republicans cut taxes to hell in the Bush years and ran the economy into the ground (no matter if that's completely true or not) and make the comparison with Trump=Bush and never take the foot off the gas

They get away with it because the media has a massive normalcy bias concerning everything in uS politics. The GOP in it's current form is not a normal political party, the President of the United States is not a normal president. But the media, especially the clowns in the beltway, are so afraid to accept this fact that any time a Democrat attempts to push back on the GOP or Trump, the media just cries "both sides!" and moves on to something else.

It is intellectually lazy and extremely dangerous and it is big reason why the GOP won't bother to change.

Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1446 on: November 02, 2017, 01:51:16 AM »

Long Sabato article for those interested: http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/signs-and-portents/
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1447 on: November 02, 2017, 06:32:10 AM »

So when Democrats run a hard hitting ads against a Republican, they are going over the line?  Were Republicans going over the line when in 2002 they ran ads in Georgia saying that Max Cleland was just like Osama Bin Laden because he supported civil service protections for Department of Homeland Security employees?  No, they were considered "patriotic" for this as and defeated Cleland.  The Cleland/Bin Laden ad was far more inappropriate than the "Truck" ad.
uti2

« Reply #1448 on: November 02, 2017, 06:40:35 AM »

They get away with it because most Americans still see Republicans as the patriotic party and the party of fiscal responsibility, however nonsensical that is. Democrats have done a piss-poor job in combatting the perception on both those fronts.

They need to just start all wearing American flag-emblazoned suits in Congress and start saying that they're the ones fighting for the little guy and that the Republicans cut taxes to hell in the Bush years and ran the economy into the ground (no matter if that's completely true or not) and make the comparison with Trump=Bush and never take the foot off the gas

It's ironic,but they were originally making that argument, they only changed once the GE started, and they haven't changed their positioning on the issue since:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rubycramer/how-a-decision-in-may-changed-the-general-election

The GOP courtship strategy of praising Bush continues (at least they've stopped praising Ryan, so there's a marginal improvement for downballot prospects, but it doesn't go far enough).

The Democrats who constantly try to rehabilitate and negotiate with Republicans are the ones who have created this situation, not the media. The media will play the same game even if the Democrats do it, Obama ran as a radical on Foreign Policy, they defended him consistently, there are no penalties for radical politics. If the Dems were a party that refused to compromise like the GOP, the media would also be defending the democrats, which is the point, there was zero need for Obama to court Republicans back in 2009-2010, his mere election ensured the death of the blue dogs, he was elected as a radical who eroded much of a the traditional democratic base and replacing it with a different type of heavily urban voter (which is why blue dogs strongly backed hillary in '08).
swf541

« Reply #1449 on: November 02, 2017, 09:29:20 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2017, 09:33:12 AM by swf541 »

Gillespie called northern virginia "enemy territory" at a fundraiser with audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2sC0GFSEnqs&app=desktop

Kevin Robillard ✔ @PoliticoKevin
.@American_Bridge is out with audio of Ed Gillespie referring to Northern Virginia has “enemy territory.” https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2sC0GFSEnqs … #VaGov
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies