When (and if) did you start supporting same-sex marriage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 02:07:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  When (and if) did you start supporting same-sex marriage?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Between which years did you start supporting same-sex marriage?
1900s-2000 (D)

2000-2004 (D)

2004-2008 (D)

2008-2012 (D)

2012-2016 (D)

Never (D)

1900s-2000 (R)

2000-2004 (R)

2004-2008 (R)

2008-2012 (R)

2012-2016 (R)

Never (R)

1900s-2000 (L)

2000-2004 (L)

2004-2008 (L)

2008-2012 (L)

2012-2016 (L)

Never (L)

1900s-2000 (I/O)

2000-2004 (I/O)

2004-2008 (I/O)

2008-2012 (I/O)

2012-2016 (I/O)

Never (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 122

Author Topic: When (and if) did you start supporting same-sex marriage?  (Read 6121 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2017, 11:49:20 PM »

Never (R), although I've always supported civil unions.

I do, however, acknowledge that it is the law of the land.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2017, 11:56:49 PM »

I first found out about gay marriage and homosexuality in 2008.  The concept has never occurred to me until I saw prop 8 stuff on TV.  I was very opposed to it but in recent years, I have accepted the ruling and don't really care that much if it is legal or not.  Personally, I view marriage as  between a man and a woman and that won't ever change, but as long I am not forced to do anything against my beliefs, I  couldn't care less who you marry, it doesn't' affect me. On other lgbt issues, I don't believe the government should prevent gay people from adopting children, and we should have laws preventing discrimination against lgbt individuals in government employment, state-run adoption agencies, government services, public housing, and public education.  No matter your views on gay marriage and homosexuality, I hope we can all agree the government shouldn't discriminate. 
On private sector non-discrimination laws, it is a different story.  I had never given much thought to whether a business could refuse service because the concept of the government  telling a private business who to serve never occurred to me.   I just assumed if you didn't want to serve or hire someone, you could just refuse and nothing would happen.  When I found out about bakers being forced to provide services to gay weddings, I was shocked and instantly supported their right to refuse service.  Back than I was a traditional conservative.  Recently, I have become much more socially liberal and libertarian and have decided that I oppose most anti discrimination laws in the private sector.  The only exceptions are for laws applying to utilities and mega corporations like Wal-Mart, where discrimination could have a huge impact.   If I were in congress, I would not be anti LGBT and wouldn't try to roll back any gay rights we have currently, but I would oppose anti discrimination laws that apply to the private sector such as ENDA or the "Equality Act."  In order for me to support them, they would have to be amended do they  nly applied to the public sector and possibly very large corporations as well, but this would likely be unnecessary since most big companies are pro gay.
Tell me, do you oppose anti-discrimination laws for minorities?
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2017, 01:12:21 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2017, 01:15:08 AM by BWP Conservative »

I first found out about gay marriage and homosexuality in 2008.  The concept has never occurred to me until I saw prop 8 stuff on TV.  I was very opposed to it but in recent years, I have accepted the ruling and don't really care that much if it is legal or not.  Personally, I view marriage as  between a man and a woman and that won't ever change, but as long I am not forced to do anything against my beliefs, I  couldn't care less who you marry, it doesn't' affect me. On other lgbt issues, I don't believe the government should prevent gay people from adopting children, and we should have laws preventing discrimination against lgbt individuals in government employment, state-run adoption agencies, government services, public housing, and public education.  No matter your views on gay marriage and homosexuality, I hope we can all agree the government shouldn't discriminate.  
On private sector non-discrimination laws, it is a different story.  I had never given much thought to whether a business could refuse service because the concept of the government  telling a private business who to serve never occurred to me.   I just assumed if you didn't want to serve or hire someone, you could just refuse and nothing would happen.  When I found out about bakers being forced to provide services to gay weddings, I was shocked and instantly supported their right to refuse service.  Back than I was a traditional conservative.  Recently, I have become much more socially liberal and libertarian and have decided that I oppose most anti discrimination laws in the private sector.  The only exceptions are for laws applying to utilities and mega corporations like Wal-Mart, where discrimination could have a huge impact.   If I were in congress, I would not be anti LGBT and wouldn't try to roll back any gay rights we have currently, but I would oppose anti discrimination laws that apply to the private sector such as ENDA or the "Equality Act."  In order for me to support them, they would have to be amended do they  nly applied to the public sector and possibly very large corporations as well, but this would likely be unnecessary since most big companies are pro gay.
Tell me, do you oppose anti-discrimination laws for minorities?
I support anti discrimination laws for all classes equally.  Everyone one should be protected form discrimination in: government employment, public housing,  governmental services, and public education.  I do not support "public accommodation laws" in the modern day for any protected class.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »

Still don't. Never will.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2017, 03:54:33 PM »

2005 (and I was only 6 years old then)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »

There was a time period when radical gays screamed about how heteronormative gay marriage was and how people like Andrew Sullivan (and me?) were fascists.

Yep.  I think some of the younger folks here might not even realize that there was a time when it might not have even occurred to the average politically aware person that very many LGBT folks would even *want* to get married.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2017, 05:48:02 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2017, 07:28:06 PM by Siren »

I'm not really sure tbh. I don't think I ever opposed it but it took me a little while to learn that all people deserve my love, even if sometimes I'm too weak to show it. It makes me sad that so many people don't see it that way. A lot of my friends and family would make jokes and make fun of things, and I still curl up in my bed and cry until my eyes dry out when I think about some of those comments to this day. I remember at one point saying that I supported it personally but I didn't think democrats should talk about it because they would lose elections (I know weird to think that I would say that right? Tongue). I guess at certain times in my life I was just a deeply self-hating person. But eventually I got to the point where I was confident enough to support it all the way.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »

I never really thought about it much up until a few years ago, when I started really getting into politics.  I didn't mind it and remember wondering why the Supreme Court would be the deciding factor (For some reason, I thought that that was stupid. I think it was along the lines of "Just let it happen.").

So I guess I've been supporting it (or at least not standing against it) ever since I became somewhat interested in politics.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »

There was a time period when radical gays screamed about how heteronormative gay marriage was and how people like Andrew Sullivan (and me?) were fascists.

Yep.  I think some of the younger folks here might not even realize that there was a time when it might not have even occurred to the average politically aware person that very many LGBT folks would even *want* to get married.

Totally agree.  As a member of Generation Z, the first time I even found out about homosexuality was with the gay marriage debate, so I never knew about gays without knowing about gay marriage.  That was in 2008 when California's Prop 8 was on the news.  
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »

I never explicitly opposed it, but I backed the Civil Unions meme until about 2010.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies