IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:04:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 54
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 114910 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: May 15, 2018, 07:54:56 AM »

Gov Rauner calls for reinstatement of death penalty in Illinois for murder of police and mass murder.  Great idea!

https://www.google.com/amp/abc7chicago.com/amp/politics/rauner-calls-for-narrow-reinstatement-of-death-penalty-in-illinois/3472009/
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1151 on: May 15, 2018, 08:38:54 AM »

Such a moderate hero he is. Good thing I didn’t support him for the general.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1152 on: May 15, 2018, 08:39:57 AM »

Rauner is a fake moderate. He's in fact a pro-choice version of Scott Walker.
new_patomic

« Reply #1153 on: May 15, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »

Rauner's desperate has really been showing.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1154 on: May 15, 2018, 09:58:02 AM »

For the millionth time, moderates aren't moderate on everything.  If any Democrat even pays lip service to being pro-life, he's a DINO on this site, but to be a moderate Republican you can't be right of center on anything??  LOL.  Rauner is a socially moderate Republican, and any non-moron can see that.

Our state deserves what it gets. Sad  More taxes and less population is the unavoidable future for Illinois as long as Democrats control the government (most importantly the legislature).
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #1155 on: May 15, 2018, 12:15:25 PM »

For the millionth time, moderates aren't moderate on everything.  If any Democrat even pays lip service to being pro-life, he's a DINO on this site, but to be a moderate Republican you can't be right of center on anything??  LOL.  Rauner is a socially moderate Republican, and any non-moron can see that.

Our state deserves what it gets. Sad  More taxes and less population is the unavoidable future for Illinois as long as Democrats control the government (most importantly the legislature).

The GOP needs to just give up on the state and allow it to self-destruct. There are fights that are worth fighting and others that aren't, and Illinois is not worth fighting for at this point. It's a lost cause.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1156 on: May 15, 2018, 12:24:01 PM »

The GOP needs to just give up on the state and allow it to self-destruct. There are fights that are worth fighting and others that aren't, and Illinois is not worth fighting for at this point. It's a lost cause.

Maybe politically, but I was born in Illinois.  I love Illinois.  To see it crumbling just so it can be proved to the world just how horribly the Democratic Party manages things is not even close to worth it to me. :/
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1157 on: May 15, 2018, 12:26:47 PM »

Rauner is scum and I will enjoy his Kirking.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1158 on: May 15, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »

It's not like Republicans have fixed IL. Rauner may be a WOKE social moderate, but he did an effing godawful job managing the state. He's easily one of the worst governors in America. You can blame Madigan all you want, and I dislike Madigan too, but you look like a pathetic leader by 24/7 complaining about Madigan. Rauner didn't fix the budget crisis. He is a weak, ineffectual leader and will lose by 15-20% against an awful, sleazy democratic candidate this November.

He is bottom 5 worst governors in America. Almost as bad as Malloy and Fallin. Total loser.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #1159 on: May 15, 2018, 12:46:55 PM »

Maybe politically, but I was born in Illinois.  I love Illinois.  To see it crumbling just so it can be proved to the world just how horribly the Democratic Party manages things is not even close to worth it to me. :/

Cook County would have to be jettisoned in order for Illinois to have any hope of recovering in the short term.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #1160 on: May 15, 2018, 12:53:07 PM »

Realistically, the mere fact that Rauner didn't veto the legislation and instead inserted a narrow reinstatement of the death penalty pretty conclusively shows he's a moderate. The gun bill passed by the legislature contains provisions that a hefty majority of republican governors would've rejected outright. It's a move that produces some headlines that don't play well with a sizeable portion of voters, but the proposal itself is very narrow (only applies to homicides of police officers or more than one person at a time, and requires guilt to be conclusively shown) and is a part of broader legislation that is generally not pushed by republicans, in the form of gun control.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1161 on: May 15, 2018, 05:17:09 PM »

It's not like Republicans have fixed IL. Rauner may be a WOKE social moderate, but he did an effing godawful job managing the state. He's easily one of the worst governors in America. You can blame Madigan all you want, and I dislike Madigan too, but you look like a pathetic leader by 24/7 complaining about Madigan. Rauner didn't fix the budget crisis. He is a weak, ineffectual leader and will lose by 15-20% against an awful, sleazy democratic candidate this November.

He is bottom 5 worst governors in America. Almost as bad as Malloy and Fallin. Total loser.

What exactly do you think Governor Rauner should have done differently?  Tried to change absolutely nothing about the joke legislature's fiscal plans, directly breaking his promise to the voters?  Our unions NEED to be curtailed.  He SHOULD blame Madigan, the man who has been driving this state to ruin for years.  It ISN'T his fault that the legislature won't budge on any of the stuff he wants to do to, ya know, actually change something.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1162 on: May 15, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »

Rauners remarks on capital punishment are inappropriate.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1163 on: May 15, 2018, 06:04:48 PM »

History may be made..

JB Pritzker.. First Democrat to win DuPage County, IL in a very long time. If ever!

hahahahaahhaahhaah

I don't dislike Rauner and am personally neutral on this particular contest. However, I support Pritzker and hopes he wins huge to support my cause.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1164 on: May 15, 2018, 06:18:33 PM »

Likely D, bordering on Safe D. Rauner is on track to get Blanched at this point.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1165 on: May 15, 2018, 06:30:52 PM »

History may be made..

JB Pritzker.. First Democrat to win DuPage County, IL in a very long time. If ever!

hahahahaahhaahhaah

I don't dislike Rauner and am personally neutral on this particular contest. However, I support Pritzker and hopes he wins huge to support my cause.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/statesub.php?year=2016&fips=17043&f=1&off=0&elect=0

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/statesub.php?year=2012&fips=17043&f=1&off=0&elect=0

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/statesub.php?year=2008&fips=17043&f=1&off=0&elect=0
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1166 on: May 15, 2018, 06:37:37 PM »

History may be made..

hahahahaahhaahhaah

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/statesub.php?year=2016&fips=17043&f=1&off=0&elect=0

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/statesub.php?year=2012&fips=17043&f=1&off=0&elect=0

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/statesub.php?year=2008&fips=17043&f=1&off=0&elect=0

I meant in a gubernatorial contest.
new_patomic

« Reply #1167 on: May 15, 2018, 08:48:49 PM »

But remember! Even though he's the incumbent, he's not in charge.

All he has in terms of power are flannel shirts, duct tape, and a motorcycle.  
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1168 on: May 17, 2018, 09:35:04 AM »

But remember! Even though he's the incumbent, he's not in charge.

All he has in terms of power are flannel shirts, duct tape, and a motorcycle.

Again, what would you guys have done differently?  He got elected to actually CHANGE how this broken state government operates, and he was opposed at every meaningful turn by the morons in the legislature who helped create this mess.  Now, he's going to lose his job while they all keep theirs and work with a Democratic governor to make it even worse.  Yay, Illinois!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1169 on: May 17, 2018, 09:47:48 AM »

Again, what would you guys have done differently?  He got elected to actually CHANGE how this broken state government operates, and he was opposed at every meaningful turn by the morons in the legislature who helped create this mess.  Now, he's going to lose his job while they all keep theirs and work with a Democratic governor to make it even worse.  Yay, Illinois!

I do think it's kind of interesting how people elected him to fix all these issues, putting aside the problem that that is not really his primary job. America has a real problem with entrusting the head of the executive branch to fix all the state/country's problems despite that person explicitly not having the power to do that in most cases. It's like people think they are electing a monarch.

Isn't part of IL's problem that in order to change pension stuff for people who have already accrued said pensions, they have to amend the constitution? I can't say for sure, but I thought they tried and the voters rejected it? Maybe it is the case then that states like IL and NJ will need bailouts in the future by the federal government. At some point it would be nice if these states amended their constitutions to explicitly prohibit lawmakers from granting such benefits that cannot be paid for.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #1170 on: May 17, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »

I do think it's kind of interesting how people elected him to fix all these issues, putting aside the problem that that is not really his primary job. America has a real problem with entrusting the head of the executive branch to fix all the state/country's problems despite that person explicitly not having the power to do that in most cases. It's like people think they are electing a monarch.

Isn't part of IL's problem that in order to change pension stuff for people who have already accrued said pensions, they have to amend the constitution? I can't say for sure, but I thought they tried and the voters rejected it?

It was never put on the ballot. Crains has a fairly decent run-down of the facts, even if there's a little too much commentary there for my tastes.

Maybe it is the case then that states like IL and NJ will need bailouts in the future by the federal government.

I would say that it's ridiculous to ask for the rest of the country's taxpayers to clean up illinois' mess, but then I remember that illinois is one of about 10 states that pays more in federal taxes than they receive in federal funding (New Jersey is another) and then I care significantly less.

At some point it would be nice if these states amended their constitutionss to explicitly prohibit lawmakers from granting such benefits that cannot be paid for.
Illinois has a balanced budget amendment that theoretically would've done just that, but lawmakers relied on overly rosy projections of ROI and failed to account for the reduced tax revenue that'd occur from a real estate crisis like the one during the great recession.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1171 on: May 17, 2018, 08:42:27 PM »

Americans are dumb. News at 11.

Most of them don't have the slightest clue how the government actually functions. And that's even among the half that actually votes. Scary stuff.

Also, Tom seems to assume that Illinois voters actually wanted Rauner to do whatever it was that he ran on. More like he was at the right place at the right time with the right letter next to his name running against the right (or wrong, depending on your perspective) opponent, and that was what gave him a win. Just like the vast majority of politicians.

Now he's in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong letter next to his name, and he's gonna go down. Such is the nature of American politics and our schizophrenic, uninformed, and rabidly tribal/partisan voters.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1172 on: June 05, 2018, 12:24:47 AM »

As expected:

Illinois governor’s race spending surges past $200 million

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/04/illinois-governor-race-spending-623662

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not exactly holding my breath here, but if this guy is just going to dump hundreds of millions into his race, it'd be nice if he actually did use a decent amount to support downballot races and local organizations. That would be much more effective long-term than dumping $100 million into ads that will ultimately do little for his campaign.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1173 on: June 05, 2018, 12:42:33 AM »

This is absolutely ridiculous. Pritzker is not [at all] likely to lose atm, but doesn’t he remember GA-06?

However, I am glad to see he is gracious enough to help Dems downballot but obviously some more $$$ would be helpful many of them, especially a good portion of that $25,000,000 that could’ve been used for other things besides his f-ing campaign. Roll Eyes
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1174 on: June 05, 2018, 12:51:53 AM »

This race is Pritzker's to lose q
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to: