IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:23:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 54
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 115046 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: February 07, 2018, 05:08:59 PM »

This is starting to resemble a slow moving car crash.

To Illinois/Chicago people with more knowledge; has Pritzker always been the crown prince? It seems strange that in a state full of Democrats, the top three worse people seem to be running for Governor?

My understanding (from when I was in Illinois early last year and paying closer attention) was that Pritzker was one of the first people to enter the field so he got a huge starter advantage. A lot of party and affiliated infrastructure embraced/endorsed him early to a void a nasty primary and to allow the campaign to provide an early united front for attacking Rauner (hilariously, this includes the AFL-CIO, who endorsed Pritzker in, like, March). Additionally, some people preferred Pritzker because he was wealthy enough to fund his own campaign, which I guess the party preferred to be able to spend elsewhere?

I don't know, Pritzker is a tire fire waiting to happen. Seems pretty short sighted and idiotic to try to eschew a competitive primary and end up with this but Illinois isn't known as a state with healthy state-level parties or government function of any type.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #576 on: February 07, 2018, 08:02:42 PM »

Preckwinkle endorses Pritzker

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-preckwinkle-pritzker-endorsement-20180207-story.html

Biss lands support of Move On and Our Revolution

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/our-revolution-illinois-endorses-sen-daniel-biss-471698764.html

https://front.moveon.org/moveon-members-in-illinois-endorse-daniel-biss-for-governor/#.Wnuhm6inE2w
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #577 on: February 07, 2018, 11:45:34 PM »

>Preckwinkle

There goes a small chunk of support for Pritzker.  The Pop tax stuff should still be somewhat relevant in people's minds.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #578 on: February 08, 2018, 12:01:12 AM »

I like all three of them a lot, why do they have to be fighting Sad? Look, we are giving Rauner an advantage now, he has a clean primary while we are stuck with a nasty three way brawl. I think Rauner gets a boost from this, Safe D--->Likely D. I thought it would be a Safe D repeat of Duckworth vs Kirk in 2016, and I though Rauner was going to get Kirk'd, but dems are doing everything possible to try to hand the race to him. Granted, I still think dems win, but probably by high single digits at this point.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #579 on: February 08, 2018, 12:08:48 AM »

I like all three of them a lot, why do they have to be fighting Sad? Look, we are giving Rauner an advantage now, he has a clean primary while we are stuck with a nasty three way brawl. I think Rauner gets a boost from this, Safe D--->Likely D. I thought it would be a Safe D repeat of Duckworth vs Kirk in 2016, and I though Rauner was going to get Kirk'd, but dems are doing everything possible to try to hand the race to him. Granted, I still think dems win, but probably by high single digits at this point.

Lol this was never Safe D. A socially moderate incumbent in a deep blue state with a history of electing GOP governors is moderately capable of surviving a wave if Pritzker is the nominee. Lean D sounds right here.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #580 on: February 08, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »

I like all three of them a lot, why do they have to be fighting Sad?
They are, in fact, all very bad.

Look, we are giving Rauner an advantage now, he has a clean primary while we are stuck with a nasty three way brawl.
He does not have a clean primary.

I think Rauner gets a boost from this, Safe D--->Likely D.
He does not — probably better that the Democrats are figuring out their faults early rather than being hit in October.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #581 on: February 08, 2018, 08:55:55 PM »

She will easily win re-election this year
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #582 on: February 08, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »

Controversial pollster Victory Research shows a dead heat between Pritzker, Biss
https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/poll-taken-day-after-fbi-wiretap-release-finds-pritzker-biss-in-dead-heat/
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #583 on: February 09, 2018, 12:26:25 AM »

lol
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #584 on: February 09, 2018, 11:37:39 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2018, 11:39:32 PM by Cal »

Ives just spent another $500,000 on tv ads, bringing the total amount she's spent on ads up to $1.54 million. Pritzker just spent $30,000 on an ad with Chicago's Telemundo affiliate, bringing the amount he's spent on ads up to $25.4 million: https://www.politico.com/newsletters/illinoisplaybook

In addition, Ives released a new ad, again attacking Rauner for the supposed sanctuary state law (unlike her previous ad, this one is just her talking in front of a black background): https://capitolfax.com/2018/02/09/ives-releases-new-ad-lead-the-charge/
Bus Wanker

« Reply #585 on: February 10, 2018, 10:31:15 PM »

Lol this was never Safe D. A socially moderate incumbent in a deep blue state with a history of electing GOP governors is moderately capable of surviving a wave if Pritzker is the nominee. Lean D sounds right here.

Pritzker is awful but I would be shocked if Rauner survives a wave. He might even lose to someone as bad as Pritzker in non-wave conditions. People hate Rauner, it's not even all that partisan. Being an incumbent is not an advantage in IL. He was supposed to be a change candidate and didn't deliver. Wasn't really his fault, but voters don't care.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #586 on: February 10, 2018, 11:59:06 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2018, 12:04:40 AM by LimoLiberal »

My 83 year old Bubbe (jewish grandma) from Aurora (a Kane County Chicago suburb) said this to me on the phone when I asked her:

• "Oh, I'm not going to vote for Pritzker. He's so rich, and getting fatter by the day. I think he's going to die of obesity soon!"
  • "Oh there's the other, one the nice Jewish boy from Evanston. Rachel (my aunt who lives in Evanston) said he's real good."
  • "Rauner is just so unpopular. He's been real bad with Madigan. (She voted for Rauner in 2014)."
  • And there's that crazy lady, Ives, running too. Well I don't think that Rauner will win, he's so maligned."

Take from that what you will.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #587 on: February 11, 2018, 12:28:06 AM »

I really like Pritzker, I don't see everyone's problem with him. He is a really close second to Chris Kennedy, and I would gladly vote for him against Rauner if I could, and I think he would make a great governor.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #588 on: February 11, 2018, 12:29:31 AM »

I really like Pritzker, I don't see everyone's problem with him. He is a really close second to Chris Kennedy, and I would gladly vote for him against Rauner if I could, and I think he would make a great governor.
He's a billionaire who's too closely connected to the corruption of Blagojevich and will not provide the change Illinois desperately needs.

What's too like?
BundouYMB

« Reply #589 on: February 11, 2018, 07:54:54 AM »

He's a billionaire who's too closely connected to the corruption of Blagojevich and will not provide the change Illinois desperately needs.

What's too like?

Some people care about policies, not just "which candidate has less money/I would want to have a beer with."
kyc0705

« Reply #590 on: February 11, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »

My 83 year old Bubbe (jewish grandma) from Aurora (a Kane County Chicago suburb) said this to me on the phone when I asked her:

• "Oh, I'm not going to vote for Pritzker. He's so rich, and getting fatter by the day. I think he's going to die of obesity soon!"
  • "Oh there's the other, one the nice Jewish boy from Evanston. Rachel (my aunt who lives in Evanston) said he's real good."
  • "Rauner is just so unpopular. He's been real bad with Madigan. (She voted for Rauner in 2014)."
  • And there's that crazy lady, Ives, running too. Well I don't think that Rauner will win, he's so maligned."

Take from that what you will.

Your Bubbe for President, she tells it like it is.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #591 on: February 11, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »

What would a Pritzer versus Ives matchup look like if she doesn't say anything else crazy and his ties to corruption keep growing?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #592 on: February 11, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »

What would a Pritzer versus Ives matchup look like if she doesn't say anything else crazy and his ties to corruption keep growing?

I doubt she could win. She's way too Conservative to win statewide.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #593 on: February 11, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »

I doubt she could win. She's way too Conservative to win statewide.

She's running a very Trumpian campaign, so the results would probably look like Hillary vs Trump in Illinois 2016.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #594 on: February 11, 2018, 02:46:25 PM »

What's too like?

Some people care about policies, not just "which candidate has less money/I would want to have a beer with."

Also unsure what policy reason there is to prefer Pritzker — he's basically running a generic D campaign. Biss does have a defined (and pretty bad) record on policy where Pritzker doesn't, but I can't see the case for Pritzker so much as just against Biss.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #595 on: February 11, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »

What's too like?

Pritzker has no policies tho
BundouYMB

« Reply #596 on: February 11, 2018, 06:26:42 PM »

What's too like?

He's campaigning on implementing a progressive income tax, raising the minimum wage to $15, a state public option, and legalizing marijuana. I would call those policies, and so would the dictionary, but maybe you have a different definition.

Biss meanwhile is campaigning on "MUH NOT RICH" and "don't believe what I said six months ago, believe what I'm saying now!" which is why he's going to get thrashed next month.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #597 on: February 11, 2018, 06:37:29 PM »

What's too like?

He's campaigning on implementing a progressive income tax, raising the minimum wage to $15, a state public option, and legalizing marijuana. I would call those policies, and so would the dictionary, but maybe you have a different definition.

Biss meanwhile is campaigning on "MUH NOT RICH" and "don't believe what I said six months ago, believe what I'm saying now!" which is why he's going to get thrashed next month.

Having heard JB dodge on all three of those in a town hall meeting that I was at in person, you can understand how I'm less than enthused.

Not to suggest I like DB, but let's not pretend Pritzker is a rose.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #598 on: February 11, 2018, 08:59:07 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2018, 07:00:31 AM by Cal »

Speaking of Pritzker and taxes, the Better Government Association has uncovered some dirt on his own taxes and the way he's shifted money around the world (and how he used "elite tax breaks" so he didn't have to pay taxes. So much for his progressive tax campaign proposal): http://www.pjstar.com/news/20180210/jb-pritzkers-storied-charity-costs-him-little-but-taxpayers-lot

And speaking of past comments and whether they apply now, there's been a lot of talk about Pritzker concerning what he's said about Black Americans: http://abc7chicago.com/politics/pritzker-scandal-highlights-importance-of-black-vote-in-illinois/3049532/

http://abc7chicago.com/politics/pritzker-meets-with-african-american-pastors-to-discuss-fbi-tape/3053707/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-jb-pritzker-apologizes-african-american-voters-20180206-story.html

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/j-b-pritzker-continues-apology-tour-at-black-women-of-illinois-forum/

Electing Pritzker would be replacing one dumb*ss with another.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #599 on: February 11, 2018, 09:50:32 PM »

I hope Illinois AAs as a collective vote for Kennedy in order to deny Pritzker the nomination.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies