IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:04:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 54
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 115017 times)
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: January 28, 2018, 05:29:13 PM »
« edited: January 28, 2018, 05:31:49 PM by Sherrod Brown Shill »

How the hell is Biss not walking away with this? Can a Prtizker or Kennedy supporter please tell me why the hell they think these idiots would be better candidates than Daniel Biss? This is how you lose! As weird as this sounds... I expect better from my Illinoisan Democrat friends. 
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #526 on: January 28, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »

I think only Pritzker can lose against Rauner, he may even depress Dem turnout.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #527 on: January 28, 2018, 05:50:02 PM »

I would imagine the pro-Pritzker argument is that he is the only candidate with the wealth to face Rauner and his candidacy will allow national Democrats to spend elsewhere.
BundouYMB

« Reply #528 on: January 28, 2018, 05:52:18 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2018, 05:55:05 PM by BundouYMB »

How the hell is Biss not walking away with this? Can a Prtizker or Kennedy supporter please tell me why the hell they think these idiots would be better candidates than Daniel Biss? This is how you lose! As weird as this sounds... I expect better from my Illinoisan Democrat friends.  

I don't know if they're better candidates, but I can certainly explain why Biss has few supporters and won't win the nomination.

Biss was actually one of the most moderate members of the state senate, was part of the Madigan machine in Chicago, and even ran a Super PAC with Mike Madigan (he only quit the Super PAC months before launching his campaign.)

During his tenure in the state senate he was one of the architects of a bill that gutted pensions for public employees. This effort was extremely controversial, and viciously opposed by unions.

Now he's running as the polar opposite. He's saying he's a progressive and he's saying he's against Madigan, but most people who know about him see him as slimy. Downstate there are plenty of people who just don't know about him period and probably never will (Pritzker will probably sweep most downstate counties simply because all of the candidates are from Chicago, and Pritzker will probably be the only one who can afford ads + a ground game throughout the state.)

So right off the bat Biss is basically fighting a three-way fight for Chicago votes right now, and most of the black politicians in the city are backing Kennedy because Kennedy has made gun control his #1 issue.

Because of his past with the pension bill no major union will ever support Biss, and it's impossible to understate how much public sector union members hate him. They DESPISE him.

It also means Biss hasn't been able to get the backing of the Bernie people in the state, despite the fact that Biss has basically been begging the Bernie people to support him.

Also, one final point. I don't know who the strongest candidate is (they all seem very flawed to me) but here's something to stop and think about for a second: why is Rauner is attacking Pritzker BEFORE the primary? Personally, I have no doubt they have something even worse on Biss from his time as a Madigan stooge.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #529 on: January 28, 2018, 05:57:11 PM »

I would imagine the pro-Pritzker argument is that he is the only candidate with the wealth to face Rauner and his candidacy will allow national Democrats to spend elsewhere.

This is arguably why Madigan has lined up behind him. In order to avoid putting all the legislative eggs in one basket, Madigan hopes Pritzker is for the self-fund arms race that is going to happen between the two millionaires. This allows him and the Illinois DP to focus their impressive hauls on regaining supermajorities. That way, even if Pritzker looses, Democratis still have full control of the state + Madigan gets to draw the maps once again in 2020.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #530 on: January 28, 2018, 08:59:36 PM »

Why release now??? Hold your fire Rauner.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #531 on: January 29, 2018, 10:12:12 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2018, 10:35:46 AM by Cal »

Rauner and his primary challenger, State Rep. Jeanne Ives, are both appearing before the Chicago Tribune editorial board today at 11 am (and it will be livestreamed). They'll be questioned together, apparently, so this may be the closest thing to a debate they get since Rauner has declined one with Ives: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-bruce-rauner-jeanne-ives-editorial-board-20180129-story.html
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #532 on: January 29, 2018, 12:48:51 PM »

This is an incredibly optimistic assessment of Chris Kennedy's skills as a candidate.

And yeah, Biss isn't taking off because not many folks are thrilled to vote for a pension thief. Not too complicated.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #533 on: January 29, 2018, 12:52:39 PM »

This is an incredibly optimistic assessment of Chris Kennedy's skills as a candidate.

And yeah, Biss isn't taking off because not many folks are thrilled to vote for a pension thief. Not too complicated.

That and he also came out of the CRR incident looking pretty bad regardless of one’s views on BDS.  
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #534 on: January 29, 2018, 12:58:15 PM »

What an utterly dreary affair the IL election has become, across the board. Everyone hates Rauner and nobody is particularly excited about the Dems.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #535 on: January 29, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »

One of my good friends from Illinois pretty much confirmed Bundou and sjoyce's assessment. He detests Biss because of the pension thing and is probably going to vote for Pritzker because he can self fund against Rauner. When I was surprised that he would take that stance on Pritzker, he just told me "that's just how Illinois is."
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #536 on: January 29, 2018, 06:37:39 PM »

Well, Illinois is a failed state.  The only people left interested in "running" it are just looking to scavenge what wealth it has left to line their pockets.  They'd better act fast though, not gonna be anything left to steal soon.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #537 on: January 29, 2018, 07:50:02 PM »

Everyday I wish Michelle had gotten in.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #538 on: January 29, 2018, 07:57:00 PM »

IL seems ungovernable no wonder there are so many crappy candidates.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #539 on: January 29, 2018, 08:23:24 PM »

Jeanne Ives has received a $500,000 donation from Richard Uihlein, a former Rauner donor: https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/gop-mega-donor-uihlein-makes-b-line-to-rauner-rival-ives/
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #540 on: January 30, 2018, 06:17:36 PM »

Editorial from the Chicago Tribune regarding the mini-debate Rauner and Ives had before the newspaper's editorial board in order to win their endorsement:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-edit-governor-rauner-ives-primary-20180129-story.html
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #541 on: January 31, 2018, 09:24:02 AM »

Pritzker is using imagery of Ives attacking Rauner during the Chicago Tribune debate for a new digital ad: https://www.politico.com/newsletters/illinois-playbook/2018/01/31/scoop-new-pritzker-ad-stars-surprise-jeanne-ives-gillibrand-to-fundraise-for-marie-newman-rauner-asks-pols-to-unite-behind-a-jobs-agenda-gov-appointee-calls-east-st-louis-s-hole-241851
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #542 on: January 31, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »

New WAA poll says Pritzker is losing ground, down to 30%. Biss up to 17, CK in third with 11.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #543 on: February 02, 2018, 05:11:11 PM »

Ives jumps the shark with her new ad against Rauner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d57WlyvHA-I
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #544 on: February 02, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »

Omg....that is so bad.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #545 on: February 02, 2018, 06:09:44 PM »

Yup, that ad is so atrocious.
Babeuf

« Reply #546 on: February 02, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »

Honestly, if it gets traction in the media and Republican primary voters see it I think it will help her. Her only hope is going super scorched earth.

The substance of the ad is, of course, disgusting imo.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #547 on: February 02, 2018, 07:57:32 PM »

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #548 on: February 02, 2018, 09:39:55 PM »

That ad is not helping her in the Collars at all.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #549 on: February 02, 2018, 11:18:31 PM »

That is a messsss!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies