IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:10:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 54
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 115019 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: December 11, 2017, 11:16:48 AM »

Rauner is toast because of his abortion vote. Republicans will not turn out to vote for him in a Midterm.

Holy shlt, that is not why is toast ... heck, his abortion views probably helped him get elected in the first place.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #476 on: December 11, 2017, 12:51:21 PM »

Duckworth had said she would wait for the primaries. I guess there really is no hope for Biss, huh?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #477 on: December 11, 2017, 01:04:05 PM »

Public sector unions would be his (well, with his record on pensions, Kennedy's) only hope of countering Pritzker financially. With IFT out (and SEIU/AFSCME sure to follow) that lane is now closed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #478 on: December 11, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »

IL Dems will probably end up winning this race despite giving their best efforts to lose it, lol.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #479 on: December 11, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »

Rauner is toast because of his abortion vote. Republicans will not turn out to vote for him in a Midterm.

Holy shlt, that is not why is toast ... heck, his abortion views probably helped him get elected in the first place.

He would have been toast either way, but he shouldn't expect voters who care about the issue to cast their ballot for him. Smiley

Why not?  They did before.  Sometimes you take what you can get.  I think there are tons of adamantly pro-choice people in West Virginia who voted for Joe Manchin each time.  (I know you think he is "fake pro-life" or whatever, but your standards are ... well, somewhat unreasonable from a neutral perspetive, IMO.)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #480 on: December 11, 2017, 03:32:05 PM »

IndyRep would prefer if government were filled with abortion ideologues like himself, so he'd take his ball and go home even if Rauner fits his views on most else. Not sure how many people in Illinois are like this, but I'd wager it's a small number.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #481 on: December 11, 2017, 03:33:31 PM »

Why not?  They did before.  Sometimes you take what you can get.  I think there are tons of adamantly pro-choice people in West Virginia who voted for Joe Manchin each time.  (I know you think he is "fake pro-life" or whatever, but your standards are ... well, somewhat unreasonable from a neutral perspetive, IMO.)

Manchin's voting record speaks for itself, I'd say. He's "pro-life" the same way Capito is "pro-choice".

Manchin voted Yes on a bill to ban abortion after 20 weeks: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=114&session=1&vote=00268
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #482 on: December 11, 2017, 05:03:59 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2017, 05:06:08 PM by RINO Tom »

Why not?  They did before.  Sometimes you take what you can get.  I think there are tons of adamantly pro-choice people in West Virginia who voted for Joe Manchin each time.  (I know you think he is "fake pro-life" or whatever, but your standards are ... well, somewhat unreasonable from a neutral perspetive, IMO.)

Manchin's voting record speaks for itself, I'd say. He's "pro-life" the same way Capito is "pro-choice".

Back on topic, though... I agree that Rauner is probably the lesser of two evils, but in IL that's really not saying much (I'd vote for a third-party candidate if I lived there). And if he's such a "reasonable" Republican and a "good fit" for his state, why is his approval rating so low? If you ask me, he'll end up like Mark Kirk, even if Pritzker wins the D nomination.

Because he is running in a deeply Democratic state that is so broken that it needs to hit rock bottom before it's fixed.  Democrats in the legislature won't budge and he refuses to govern like a Baker or Hogan because, well, that wouldn't address Illinois' problems.  Rauner will be defeated but not because of some immense flaw in him as a politician, I don't think ... he said he'd come in and implement conservative reform to try to move Illinois in a different direction; he did, and SHOCKER the voters don't like that either.  At this rate, there won't be nearly as many voters in 20 years, so maybe the politics will adjust accordingly.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #483 on: December 12, 2017, 01:39:11 PM »

Why not?  They did before.  Sometimes you take what you can get.  I think there are tons of adamantly pro-choice people in West Virginia who voted for Joe Manchin each time.  (I know you think he is "fake pro-life" or whatever, but your standards are ... well, somewhat unreasonable from a neutral perspetive, IMO.)

Back on topic, though... I agree that Rauner is probably the lesser of two evils, but in IL that's really not saying much (I'd vote for a third-party candidate if I lived there). And if he's such a "reasonable" Republican and a "good fit" for his state, why is his approval rating so low? If you ask me, he'll end up like Mark Kirk, even if Pritzker wins the D nomination.

Because he is running in a deeply Democratic state that is so broken that it needs to hit rock bottom before it's fixed.  Democrats in the legislature won't budge and he refuses to govern like a Baker or Hogan because, well, that wouldn't address Illinois' problems.  Rauner will be defeated but not because of some immense flaw in him as a politician, I don't think ... he said he'd come in and implement conservative reform to try to move Illinois in a different direction; he did, and SHOCKER the voters don't like that either.  At this rate, there won't be nearly as many voters in 20 years, so maybe the politics will adjust accordingly.

This essentially sums it up.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #484 on: January 02, 2018, 05:50:16 PM »

Fundraising recap:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/illinois-playbook/2018/01/02/sizing-up-governor-candidates-fundraising-234247
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #485 on: January 03, 2018, 12:53:28 PM »

Those numbers are awful for Kennedy, and shows that he'll have to pray that name ID gets him 2nd place.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #486 on: January 03, 2018, 09:39:04 PM »

Does anybody with a better knowledge of Illinois politics know what impact a Bernie Sanders endorsement of Biss in the final month would do to the primary race? Biss is trying hard to align himself with that sector of the party, and the 2016 primary was only a narrow win for HRC in IL.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #487 on: January 03, 2018, 11:15:35 PM »

Does anybody with a better knowledge of Illinois politics know what impact a Bernie Sanders endorsement of Biss in the final month would do to the primary race? Biss is trying hard to align himself with that sector of the party, and the 2016 primary was only a narrow win for HRC in IL.

It could mean something if Kennedy has left the race or is running at basically 0. Chuy has backed Kennedy, and it was Chuy's people that got behind Bernie in 2016. If they can build that coalition again with a Biss vs Pritzker only matchup, then I think there is a chance that Bernie could push Biss over the top.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #488 on: January 04, 2018, 12:43:36 AM »

Kennedy has, uh, said some things today about Rahm that are worth a read
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #489 on: January 04, 2018, 01:15:42 AM »

Kennedy has, uh, said some things today about Rahm that are worth a read

wtf I love Chris Kennedy now
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #490 on: January 04, 2018, 01:22:36 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2018, 01:59:39 AM by Chris Murphy 2020 »

And he’s not exactly wrong, either. We all know city hall is pro-gentrification. And the black population has decreased by almost 12% since 2010 (Rahm took office in 2011). The less poor blacks around, the rosier the city looks for developers and magnates.

Personally, I wouldn’t take it as far as Kennedy has. But to bring up that city hall is not exactly a friend to the city’s poor and black communities certainly isn’t wrong, and Kennedy should be commended for his bold stance.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #491 on: January 04, 2018, 01:35:11 AM »

And he’s not exactly wrong, either. We all know city hall is pro-gentrification. And the black population has decreased by almost 12% since 2010 (Rahm took office in 2011). The less poor blacks around, the rosier the city looks for developers and magnates.

Personally, I wouldn’t take it as far as Kennedy has. But to being up that city hall is not exactly a friend to the city’s poor and black communities certainly isn’t wrong, and Kennedy should be commended for his bold stance.
This. Rahm Emanuel is a real prick and I welcome any rebuke of his administration.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #492 on: January 04, 2018, 10:35:34 AM »

Well Kennedy is toast now.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #493 on: January 04, 2018, 03:01:23 PM »

I do wonder if such a boneheaded (yet incredibly brave) political move is part of an exit strategy for Kennedy who is now third in fundraising and likely trailing Biss in internal polling.

A Kennedy endorsement of Biss mixed with an aforementioned Sanders endorsement could make this an incredibly interesting primary. Defeating Pritzker would send a major sign to Democratic leadership nationwide.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #494 on: January 16, 2018, 11:44:36 AM »

Rauner not only refuses to call Trump a racist, he refuses to call DAVID DUKE a racist
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #495 on: January 16, 2018, 11:52:37 AM »

I do wonder if such a boneheaded (yet incredibly brave) political move is part of an exit strategy for Kennedy who is now third in fundraising and likely trailing Biss in internal polling.

A Kennedy endorsement of Biss mixed with an aforementioned Sanders endorsement could make this an incredibly interesting primary. Defeating Pritzker would send a major sign to Democratic leadership nationwide.

Isn’t Pritzker basically following the Phil Murphy template? (For better or worse)
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #496 on: January 16, 2018, 01:20:31 PM »

If those fundraising numbers are true I might vote for Biss after all.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #497 on: January 16, 2018, 01:36:24 PM »

If those fundraising numbers are true I might vote for Biss after all.

Illinois Sunshine via the Illinois State Board of Elections shows Biss comfortably ahead of Kennedy in money raised and cash on hand: https://illinoissunshine.org
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #498 on: January 16, 2018, 07:53:27 PM »

Kennedy's CoH is below $750k. Biss is fairly clearly the main opponent to Pritzker now
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #499 on: January 16, 2018, 10:20:52 PM »

Kennedy's CoH is below $750k. Biss is fairly clearly the main opponent to Pritzker now

!!!! That’s it?! Yeah no kidding
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies