Who ran the worst Senate campaign in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:24:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who ran the worst Senate campaign in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: well?
Ted Strickland

Roy Blunt

Mark Kirk

Loretta Sanchez

Darryl Glenn

Jim Barksdale

Evan Bayh

Rand Paul

Joe Heck

Kelly Ayotte

Russ Feingold

Someone Else (Please inform me)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: Who ran the worst Senate campaign in 2016?  (Read 5058 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »

Wow... am I really the only one who thinks Blunt ran the worst campaign? The guy got very lucky in the end and almost lost to a very liberal Democrat in a very red state, while underperforming Trump by 16 points.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 10:01:24 PM »

I don't get why people are saying Bayh. I think his state just wasn't going to vote for a Democrat this time.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 09:17:06 PM »

Wow... am I really the only one who thinks Blunt ran the worst campaign? The guy got very lucky in the end and almost lost to a very liberal Democrat in a very red state, while underperforming Trump by 16 points.
Well he certainly ran the worst winning campaign. But the fact that he won means he couldn't be the worst, IMO.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 09:35:36 PM »

I don't get why people are saying Bayh. I think his state just wasn't going to vote for a Democrat this time.

Doesn't matter, it's Evan Bayh and he lost badly. His early lead indicates that he was going to have the Bill Weld effect; it was his for the taking, and he blew it.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 12:15:16 AM »

Bayh was an embarrassment, since he had a huge lead and was seen as a brilliant recruit for the Democrats but lost by 10 points. He had immense problems and ultimately the Bayh brand and memory of Birch Bayh was not enough to get such a lackluster, insider candidate over the finish line. Strickland and Kirk would have lost anyway, and while Feingold was bad that was partly because Johnson was good and that Bayh started in an even stronger position.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 01:39:02 PM »

Bayh was an embarrassment, since he had a huge lead and was seen as a brilliant recruit for the Democrats but lost by 10 points. He had immense problems and ultimately the Bayh brand and memory of Birch Bayh was not enough to get such a lackluster, insider candidate over the finish line. Strickland and Kirk would have lost anyway, and while Feingold was bad that was partly because Johnson was good and that Bayh started in an even stronger position.

Not like Baron Hill would've come closer.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2016, 09:45:08 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2016, 09:51:21 AM by Soulless Golem »

Ayotte, actually. Making those dumb remarks on Trump being an example for women or whatever and then backtracking was a really bad look and may have cost her the election. Someone like Strickland wouldn't have won anyway, and Feingold lost because of Clinton, not because of his own campaign. Bayh was a paper tiger, representing the Beltway, corruption, backroom lobbying, and everything people hated and wanted to do away with in this election. Not even really his campaign's fault.

Dishonorable mention for Patrick Murphy, who, apparently, was highly overrated. His campaign was lousy, with him promising to debate at Univision and then backtracking as worst moment. Who ever thought that was going to be a good idea? He should have attacked Rubio on his Trump endorsement much more.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2016, 01:33:32 PM »

I voted for Strickland, but I'm right there with TNVolunteer regarding Roy Blunt. Saved by coattails, he is very, VERY lucky.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2016, 01:34:56 PM »

Feingold.  His team clearly poll-watched way too much and got burned in the end. 
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 01:43:35 PM »

I voted for Strickland, but I'm right there with TNVolunteer regarding Roy Blunt. Saved by coattails, he is very, VERY lucky.

I agree. Strickland really busted.

I was disappointed when Kander lost, but not as much as I was when Koster lost. Almost cried.

Roy Blunt was not taking the race seriously enough.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »

There's a difference between being a bad candidate and running a bad campaign; Kelly Ayotte is the example of a very able candidate on paper who ran a below average campaign.

I mean what would people have done to get Bayh to win? Like what would you have told him to do/say?
hopper
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2016, 11:21:21 PM »

Probably Strickland. He was a two-stint congressman and a Governor and he lost by 21% points. He let Portman attack him and didn't counter Portman's attack ads at all. Portman did probably did run the best campaign out of any US Senate Candidate though this cycle. He was "on the ground" a lot courting voters I think.

Bayh lost because he was a lobbyist and people don't want to vote in former lobbyists this cycle. They were angry at Washington DC just like they were in 2010 and wanted to send "the political class" a message. 
sg0508
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2016, 12:36:39 PM »

Probably Strickland. He was a two-stint congressman and a Governor and he lost by 21% points. He let Portman attack him and didn't counter Portman's attack ads at all. Portman did probably did run the best campaign out of any US Senate Candidate though this cycle. He was "on the ground" a lot courting voters I think.

Bayh lost because he was a lobbyist and people don't want to vote in former lobbyists this cycle. They were angry at Washington DC just like they were in 2010 and wanted to send "the political class" a message. 
Bayh was also an establishment candidate, and he seemed to be out of touch with IN; people perhaps didn't see him as one of their own anymore.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2016, 01:58:06 PM »

Murphy or Blunt.

And bonus primary flame-out: Donna Edwards, all those Colorado GOP losers, Alan Grayson and Joe Sestak.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »

Bayh was also an establishment candidate, and he seemed to be out of touch with IN; people perhaps didn't see him as one of their own anymore.

That IS what did Lugar in.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2016, 11:46:38 AM »

What was so bad about Rand Paul's campaign? That he ran 5 points behind Trump?

I cast a wide net - Rand ran pretty far behind The Donald this year and pretty close to his 2010 result, despite being in the Senate for a full term and getting an opponent who nobody really gave a shot.

It's pretty normal for a local Kentucky Republican to run behind a national Republican, no?
hopper
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2016, 06:42:43 PM »

Well Coats won in 2010 and he was a lobbyist after he retired from the US Senate in 1998.

hopper
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2016, 06:52:40 PM »

What was so bad about Rand Paul's campaign? That he ran 5 points behind Trump?

I cast a wide net - Rand ran pretty far behind The Donald this year and pretty close to his 2010 result, despite being in the Senate for a full term and getting an opponent who nobody really gave a shot.

It's pretty normal for a local Kentucky Republican to run behind a national Republican, no?
Basically a KY Dem US Senate Candidate is like an NJ Republican US Senate Candidate in that both generic US Senate Candidates from both states can get 45% of the vote. They just can't get over 45% of the vote!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2016, 11:51:03 PM »

Well Coats won in 2010 and he was a lobbyist after he retired from the US Senate in 1998.

Coats' margin was pretty underwhelming, considering that Young almost won by that much this year despite trailing by over 10 as much as a few months ago.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2016, 09:11:59 AM »

Remember that in many ways Jim Gray was emphasizing his similarities with Trump.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2016, 07:17:39 PM »

Evan Bayh and Ted Strickland were just a symbol of what was wrong with the Clinton nomination, scandal. And how Boxer, Pelosi, Debbie Wasserman, and Feinstein wrongly helped nominated Clinton instead of Bernie Sanders.

Who would have won the 279-259 blue wall and won WI, MI and PA. Those Independent votes that could have gotten away would have went to Sanders.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies