Election '92-game thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 02:22:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election '92-game thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Election '92-game thread  (Read 9158 times)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2016, 10:26:25 PM »

Hey guys, I'm having to quit this TL, after finding out that my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer. Between this and finishing HS, I am unfortunately going to have to drop out

That's never fun. You'll be in our thoughts. Wish the best for your grandma

Praying.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2016, 10:39:13 PM »

I am so sorry for you, and sincerely hope your grandmother is able to recover. I thank you for your (limited) opposition and look forward to your quick return!
QuickHead555
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -3.83

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2016, 07:53:27 AM »

I am going to be praying for you. I know how it feels, my Grandfather has Alzheimers and cancer. I know what it's like to go through this, so don't worry at all about this, and spend time with her and your family.
QuickHead555
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2016, 11:45:09 AM »

When is the next turn going to start?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2016, 03:53:30 PM »

Soon. I've been preparing for my trip to the US, so it might become difficult for me to coordinate, but I'll do my best.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2016, 07:42:56 AM »

Okay, next round will be kicking off soon. I'm been a little preoccupied with getting ready for my trip to the US. Just bear with me for a few more hours.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2016, 02:56:59 AM »

Turn 4: December 15-21, 1991

Morgenthau: We Are Taking This Seriously

The big story this week was an advertisement released by the Gates campaign featuring a woman with a blurred face and distorted voice to hide her identity. The woman claimed that Gates' fellow independent candidate, Mr Donald Trump, and forced himself on her, that he "threatened to hurt me if I ever came out about it" and she urged the American people "not to vote for this vile man"

In light of these accusations, New York County District Attorney Robert Morgenthau has stated that the New York Police Department is preparing an investigation of Mr Trump.

"We'd be fools not to take this seriously" said Morgenthau, "These accusations are very serious and demand legal attention."

However, Morgenthau also urged people to hold back from passing judgement. "No man is guilty until he's been proven so, and Mr Trump has not been proven guilty of anything."

Lee Patrick Brown, the New York City Police Commissioner, has confirmed that the NYPD is investigating the accusations, but has not made any further statements.

This affair has brought Mr Trump's surge to a screeching halt. He now faces a stiff fight to hold his lead over other independents, particularly Mr Gates, who has experienced a surge in the polls.

On the Democratic side, Cuomo has managed to hold onto his status as frontrunner, but Gore continues to close the gap. Brown has experienced a surge in western states, and now leads in Washington, Oregon, Nevada and his home state of California. Sanders meanwhile, continues to surge in New England, and is now within striking distance of Gore for second place in New Hampshire, while continuing to romp ahead in his home of Vermont.

The withdrawal of John Voinovich has left Bush unopposed in the Republican primary, but Bill Gates is reportedly seeking to get on the ballot for the New Hampshire primary. However, he has faced opposition from Former President Reagan, who calls it "an attempt to hijack the Republican Party". Moreover, Governor Judd Gregg is vehemently opposed to Gates being on the ballot. The New Hampshire Supreme Court will make a decision on that this week.

Minor headlines:

Democrats:

Gov. Cuomo: Cuomo still has no major endorsements

Sen. Gore: Gore closing on Cuomo

Fmr. Gov. Brown: Brown surges in the west

Rep. Sanders: Sanders emerging as a threat?

Republicans:

President Bush: Bush now presumptive nominee; will Quayle be renominated for VP?

Independent/3rd Party

Trump: Donald in hot water

Gates: Gates launches attempt to be on NH primary ballot

Paul: Ron goes cowboy with Eastwood in new ad

Nationwide polls (since Bush is unopposed nationally, Republican primary polling will no longer be taken:

Democratic:

Gov. Cuomo: 37.9%

Sen. Gore: 31.5%

Fmr. Gov. Brown: 25.2%

Rep. Sanders: 5.4%

Independent/3rd Party

Mr Trump: 35.8%

Mr Gates: 32.7%

Rep. Paul: 30.9%

Undecided: 0.6%

State Polls:

Iowa Democrats:

Gov. Cuomo: 39%

Sen. Gore: 30.2%

Fmr. Gov. Brown: 25.5%

Rep. Sanders: 5.3%

New Hampshire Democrats:

Gov. Cuomo: 36%

Sen. Gore: 33.4%

Rep. Sanders: 16%

Fmr. Gov. Brown: 14.2%
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2016, 03:41:10 AM »

Endorsements and notes

Endorsements:

President Bush: Senator Sam Nunn of Georgia; Senator Phil Gramm of Texas; House Minority Whip Newt Gingrich of Georgia; Senate Minority Whip Alan K. Simpson of Wyoming; Senator Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania; Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana

Senator Gore: Former Lieutenant Governor Jo Ann Zimmerman of Iowa; Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska; House Majority Leader Dick Gephardt of Missouri

Congressman Sanders: Reverend Jesse Jackson of South Carolina; Mr Ralph Nader of Connecticut

Former Governor Brown: Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell of Maine

Mr Gates: Governor Ann Richards of Texas; New Hampshire Union Leader; Governor John R. McKernan Jr. of Maine

Notes:

So last turn threw up some surprises. Gates' attempt to get on the Republican ballot in the New Hampshire Primary will be under consideration this week, and both Gates and Bush will have the opportunity to present their cases to the New Hampshire Supreme Court, or send a surrogate to do so on their behalf.

The other surprise is Gates' use of his attack ad on Donald Trump. Robert Morgenthau or the NYPD may request a private interview with either candidate this week as part of the investigation. The woman featured in the ad may also be subpoenaed to appear in court should the case proceed to a trial.

New Hampshire Democratic Primary Ballot:

Sen. Gore

Fmr. Gov. Brown

Gov. Cuomo

Rep. Sanders

Filing for the Maine Caucuses begins this turn and will close on the 28th.

ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2016, 09:25:49 AM »

Brown Campaign pushes on

Des Moines December 19th 1991

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Campaign Schedule

Dec 15th:
*Barnstorming in Manchester, NH area.
*Release TV ad in NH through local stations. Said ad using footage from food donations the previous week, while a voice over speaks of Brown as "The true people's candidate."

Dec 16th:
*File for Maine Caucasus
*Rally with Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell in Augusta 
*Record radio ad to be sent to local radio stations in Iowa, New Hampshire, and Maine.

Dec 17th:
* Meet with voters in the Old Port in Portland, Maine
* Host Town Hall in Biddeford
* Interview with Portland Press Herald

Dec 18th:
* Barnstorm in Waterville area
* Speak at University of Southern Maine

Dec 19th:
*Fly back to Iowa
*Barnstorm in Council Bluffs area
*Rally in Des Monies

Dec 20th:
*Fly to California for photo op in San Fran call center. Meet with local donors and host tour of Campaign Center with them.
Conference call with various members of Campaign team.

Dec 21st:
*Rest
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2016, 11:51:13 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2016, 01:38:39 PM by simossad »

December 15th, New York City, NY

Dear people of New York, my fellow Americans.

As you know, I have been refusing to make a comment on the campaign advertisement by Mr. Gates that raised suspicious allegations against me down to the present day, not because I wanted to shuffle out of the responsibility, but because I thought that these kind of campaign methods speak for themselves. But since Mr. Gates has caused a lot of unforeseen damage and legal action, not just against me but against Mr. Gates as well, I feel compelled to say a few words about this whole incident.

Firstly, sexual assault is a serious matter, and I highly doubt that a victim would allow a minor presidential candidate to meet her, to film her and to make use of her as a campaign advertisement rather than to go to the police and let the perpetrator face legal consequences following his behavior. I don't see why a woman who fears oppression by me would give a public statement on television rather than going to the police. And that didn't happen. Simply put, underlying logical contradictions show that the whole story has to be made up by the presidential campaign of Mr. Bill Gates. I don't know if he thinks that's funny. I believe that sexual assault is not funny at all. It is a disgrace for the thousands and thousands of innocent women who really had or have to face currently real actions of sexual harassment, abuse or even rape. I am and will not be the only one who condemns the outrageous method of imagining a story based on the harrowing experiences of these women for his own benefit. That is common-sense and everyone with a moral compass should be aware of the fact.

Secondly, this allegation against me was just part of a rant against me that lasted for a longer period, which is also a proof that Mr. Gates does not want to bring justice to a victim of sexual assault but wants to gain political profit out of this whole incident. The cause for his public antipathy against me was a criticizing remark against him. It was a minor thing and it wasn't even unfounded or destructive. Mr. Gates should be aware of the fact that a president will always be in public spotlight and will always have to face criticism. Look, I criticize President Bush a lot, and there are also many things that people say about him which is not just well-founded criticism. But that's not a reason for him to just spread imagined rape stories about his political opponents. In my opinion, a man who can be provoked by constructive criticism should not have his fingers near the nuclear codes. If Mr. Gates thinks that this is the manner how political disputes should be solved, he is officially unqualified to be president of our nation.

Thirdly, Mr. Gates has betrayed all the people who supported him due to his pledge to break from the past and be a serious and trustworthy third option by acting worse than our political elites. It is nothing new that nowadays, our elections are not won by the facts, but by the amount of money a candidate is able to spend into ads and actions that portray the opponent in an unflattering light. When we, we three independent candidates, were standing on the debate stage in Chicago, we pledged to break with our political traditions and to be honest and to not just blindly follow a political ideology but our conscience and our common sense. But this incident, being the most disgraceful campaign strategy since Watergate, has proven that Mr. Gates does not take his position as and independent presidential candidate seriously and that he does not want to be the person to repair our broken democratic system.

If Mr. Gates thinks that his behavior, his strategies can hurt me, then I have to tell him that he is profoundly wrong. He can waste as much money on useless ads as he wants to. I will focus on the future of this campaign and this election. I will focus on making this country a better place to live. This is for Mr. Gates: Christmas is coming soon. Please show a bit of gratefulness. Selfishness and recklessness helps nobody. Ask Ebenezer Scrooge. This is for all Americans: See you on the campaign trail.

Thank you.
wjx987
Rookie
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2016, 02:35:59 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2016, 07:46:56 PM by wjx987 »

Can Gore take New Hampshire?
Al Gore is almost winning polls in New Hampshire. He's been on a meteoric rise there for months now. If he takes that state, he'll throw a wrench through Cuomo's campaign strategy. Because of this, Gore focused heavily on New Hampshire this week.

December 15:
Barnstorm around Vinton and rural Butler County
Visit local farmers outside Vinton
Door to door in Urbana
Rally at Centerpoint-Urbana High School
Drive to Dubuque

December 16:
Build campaign infrastructure
Barnstorm in Dubuque
Open regional campaign offices in Durango
Policy speech on education at Loras College, invite college staff
Rally at Clarke University with Lt. Gov. Jo Ann Zimmerman:

December 17:
Meet-and-greet in Clinton
Town hall at Eagle Heights Elementary:
Fly to Bangor, Maine
File for Maine Caucus in Bangor
Open regional campaign offices in Bangor

December 18:
Drive to Hampton, New Hampshire
Barnstorm in downtown Newmarket
Open regional campaign offices in Durham
Meet with donors in Durham
Rally at Wildcat Stadium

December 19:
Interview broadcast from New Hampshire Public Television in Durham
Begin broadcasting new television advertisement in New Hampshire media market (to be described later)
Build campaign infrastructure
Barnstorm in Rochester
Meet and greet in Farmington

December 20:
Barnstorm in Plymouth
Town hall at Plymouth State University
Barnstorm in rural Grafton County
Fly to Nashville Tennessee

December 21:
Campaign strategy meting at HQ
Open call center and donation center in downtown Nashville w/ new 1-800 number
Meet with constituents in and around Nashville
Rally at Nashville War Memorial
Rest
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2016, 02:30:43 AM »

Official document of the New Hampshire Supreme Court

The following persons are requested to attend a hearing on the 17th of December, 1991 in regards to the ballot confirmation of Mr Bill Gates in the 1992 New Hampshire Republican Primary Election.

Mr George H. W. Bush, 41st president of the United States of America

Mr Bill Gates, Chief Executive Officer of the Microsoft Corporation

The persons may send an individual on their behalf. Failure to fulfill both of these requests will force the court to use testimony provided by local volunteers to both campaigns.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »

President Bush will attend.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2016, 01:56:28 PM »

Campaign Schedule

December 15th, 1991:
- public reaction on the past week in New York City, NY
- discuss campaign strategy with senior staffers
- rally in Manhattan, New York City, NY
- fundraiser dinner in New York City, NY

December 16th, 1991:
- rally in Orlando, FL
- give a speech at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL
- town hall in Kissimmee, FL
- give TV-interviews

“When you are in a situation like me, when you are facing serious problems caused by the recklessness of another person who is envious of you because of your position, you better think twice about the speeches to want to give and how you you behave. And it is true that it might not be clever to criticize Mr. Gates because, well, you know where this can lead to. But I believe that it is never wrong to follow your conscience and to stand up for your first amendment right. Mr. Gates started as an independent candidate. He was standing next to me on the debate stage in Chicago, claiming that the two-party-system has caused damage to our country. That's what he said. His bid as an independent was not just a simple decision but a promise to put country over party. But now, at a time President Bush faces no serious opponents, he wants to get on the Republican ballot. This man has proven that he has no integrity and that he says anything that will help him to get elected. This man does not have any stances. He does not have any principles. He just wants to get elected.”

December 17th, 1991:
- rally in Denver, CO
- joint campaign event with Senator John McCain in Denver, CO
- campaign event in Las Vegas, NV
- air new tv-ad

December 18th, 1991:
- rally in Cincinnati, OH
- campaign event in Dayton, OH
- meet and greet in Beavercreek, OH

December 19th, 1991:
- rally in Columbus, OH
- rally in Westerville, OH
- town hall in Newark, OH
- rally in Lexington, KY

“If we want to boost our economy, giving our economy enough space to grow is just one thing. I'm not a libertarian. I believe many libertarians don't understand how our economy works. Sure, government regulations cause a lot of pressure on the companies and our economy. But that's just one side of the medal. You have to understand that bridges and streets don't just appear out of nowhere. A good infrastructure is the most important location factor for a business, especially for factories. That is where the government has to invest, we need new and better streets and an upgrade of our public transport system. But as long as we have to deal with a historic debt, we won't have the ability to do so.”

December 20th, 1991
- discuss campaign strategy with senior staffers in New York City, NY
- telephone conference with heads of regional campaign offices

December 21st, 1991
- rally in Pittsburgh, PA
- rally in Philadelphia, PA
- campaign event in Norristown, PA

Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2016, 02:00:40 PM »

Campaign Ad #1 - Real Talk
To be aired nationwide

Hi, this is Donald Trump. You might expect from a political TV ad that it shows you some landscapes, hardworking people, American flags, and then it tells you how important it is to save all those things from the one candidate by voting for the other. But I, Donald J. Trump, am not a career politician. I am a normal citizen who is sick and tired of our Washington elites, and I'm gonna keep it simple. Just real talk.
Our politicians don't want to tell you, but our economy is a mess. While Republicans desperately deny that fact because they want to keep the White House, Democrats hope that nobody finds out that they have the majority in Congress and could have easily saved our economy. The last time our unemployment was that high – nearly eight percent of all people living in the US – the American people kicked Jimmy Carter our of the Oval Office and his Democratic buddies out of the senate.

Now, it's time to do the same with President Bush. President Bush has stolen the election three years ago by telling a cunning and disgraceful lie. The trust of the American people in our institutions and in our political parties is gone. Democrats and Republicans have told lie upon lie, and our political system makes it hard to overcome the antiquated two-party system. But it's not impossible. This country needs a major shake up. We need a political revolution to show our politicians how sick and tired of their lies and arrogance the American people is, and we need a political revolution to finally have a government by the people, of the people, for the people. That's why I'm asking for your vote for president. I'm Donald J. Trump, I'm a businessman, an American patriot, and I wholeheartedly approve this message, because it is time to make clear that our politicians should have an allegiance to the truth.
wjx987
Rookie
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2016, 03:39:35 PM »

Gore Campaign Ad to be aired in New Hampshire from December 19 to January 20: The Holiday Season

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2016, 04:09:40 PM »

Excellent. Put it and your testimony in your schedule.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2016, 09:12:44 PM »

Schedule will be up tomorrow
QuickHead555
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2016, 09:32:04 PM »

BILL GATES PRESS RELEASE:

So yes, I jokingly suggested that my supporters should help put me on the ballot in the Republican Primary in New Hampshire. My supporters took that to heart and worked their heart out getting signatures  and being able to meet the amount needed to get on the ballot. So yes, the people obviously wanted me on the ballot of the New Hampshire primary, so I will take it up at the Supreme Court. The people want it, though I personally don't. And that's how I'll rule as president, I will listen to the majority.

Thank you,
Bill Gates

-------------------------------------
Schedule coming out tomorrow.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2016, 04:24:07 PM »

Cuomo Campaign Schedule

December 15th:
-Rally in Manchester
-Build campaign infrastructure
-Policy speech: Foreign Policy after the Cold War
-Staff meeting with volunteers

December 16th:
-Barnstorming in Portland
-Rally in Concord
-Meet with local Congressional leaders

December 17th:
-Policy speech: Smart on Crime
-Barnstorming in Nashua
-Rally in Bedford
-Rest

December 18th:
-Fly to Iowa
-Rally in Des Moines
-Meet with Liberal activists

December 19th:
-Buy ad time in New Hampshire and Iowa
-Rally in Cedar Rapids
-Meet with volunteers
-Barnstorming in Polk County

December 20th:
-Town hall in Ames
-Meet with local farmers
-Fly to New Hampshire
-Rally in Portsmouth
-Rest

December 21st:
-Town hall in Nashua
-Rally in Conway
-Meet with Liberal activists
-Build ground game
QuickHead555
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2016, 09:21:26 PM »

Bill Gates 92'

Rests for most of the day, but sends out a statement on the 15th about the sexual assault allegations about Trump.

DECEMBER 16TH
Meets with voters in Florida
Flies to New Hampshire

DECEMBER 17TH
Townhall at Dartmouth University
At the last minute, decides against going to the hearing about him being on the Republican Primary ballot. States that local volunteers can testify for him, but in reality, he prefers to run as an independent.

DECEMBER 18TH
Rally in Hartford, CT
Townhall in New Haven, CT
Rally in Boston, MA

DECEMBER 19TH:
Meet with Campaign Aids in Seattle to discuss the path forward.
Rally in Columbus, OH in the evening hours.

DECEMBER 20th
Rally in Indiana
Spends 10 million dollars expanding the Campaign's ground game
Tape an Advertisement

"Do you believe in smaller government? What about lower taxes? Well look no more, the candidate is right here. It is Bill Gates. He wants to lower taxes so we can bring business back and blooming again in the United States. The American people have helped Bill Gates a lot through his life, and this is a way he wants to pay you back. I'm Bill Gates, and I approve this message."

DECEMBER 21ST
Announces that he is taking break from Campaign Trial until after Christmas, wants to spend time with family and the people close to him.
Airs advertisements in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Connecticut.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2016, 01:27:46 PM »

(schedule will be up in a few hours
QuickHead555
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2016, 07:12:20 AM »

Bump
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2016, 12:54:16 PM »

Just waiting on NeverAgain
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2016, 09:08:45 PM »

Ron Paul campaign schedule

December 15
Fly to CA
December 16
Rally in San Francisco
Meet and greet in San Francisco
December 17
Rally in Los Angeles
Meet and greet in Los Angeles
December 18
Rally in Sacramento
Meet and greet in Sacramento
December 19
Rally in San Diego
Meet and greet in San Diego
December 20
Rest
December 21
Fly to FL

Harry Browne campaign schedule
December 15
Organize campaign team ahead of Ron's arrival.
December 16-20
See Ron's schedule.
December 21
Fly to NC

Surrogates
December 15
Clint Eastwood speaking at Stanford Univerity
December 16
Drew Carey speaking at CalTech
December 17
Andre Marrou speaking at Stanford University
December 18