DC is 60% black!?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:18:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  DC is 60% black!?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: DC is 60% black!?  (Read 16372 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2005, 04:07:51 PM »

Didn't South Carolina used to have a majority black population? When did that change?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2005, 05:25:51 PM »

i havent looked up the figures, but ive always assumed that baltimore and philly were majority black also?

anyone have the numbers?
Cashcow

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2005, 07:49:58 PM »

Detroit

The racial makeup of the city is 81.55% Black or African American, 12.26% White, 0.33% Native American, 0.97% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 2.54% from other races, and 2.32% from two or more races. 4.96% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Philadelphia

The racial makeup of the city is 45.02% White, 43.22% African American, 0.27% Native American, 4.46% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 4.77% from other races, and 2.21% from two or more races. 8.50% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Baltimore

The racial makeup of the city is 31.63% White, 64.34% Black or African American, 0.32% Native American, 1.53% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.67% from other races, and 1.47% from two or more races. 1.70% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2005, 08:22:35 PM »

Housing projects.

I live in Arlington right now and work in DC, and just walking around in the nice areas you'd think blacks were a small minority. But that's because you don't go to the bad areas... if you do (and are white), you're not leaving.

The city is getting whiter, though, as crappy areas are gradually bought up and redeveloped.. not even that gradual anymore, happening quite quickly.

Oh please/  D.C has somme bad areas, but just because your white & go to those areas doesn't mean your in danger.  Just like most inner-cities you only have something to worry about is if your gang affiliated & you run into members of a rival gang,  Just being white,, doesn't put you in any danger

I wish you were right, but I think you're incredibly naive to think that being white doesn't put you in great danger in certain black neighborhoods.  It's an unfortunate fact of life, just as it is very dangerous for blacks to go into certain types of white neighborhoods.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2005, 08:24:39 PM »

And white people are moving back into the city.

Perhaps its just desegregation slowly taking place.

I'm not sure why voting 85% Democrat would make someone think its 85% black. Seattle is 70% white and still voted 81% Kerry. White people in cities are liberal too.

Whites moving back into the city does not mean desegragation.  It simply means that neighborhoods transition from mostly black to mostly white, just as they transitioned in the other direction in the 1960s and 1970s.  There will never be true broad-based desegregation until the cultural gap between blacks and whites is significantly narrowed.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2005, 08:29:24 PM »

this was always my feeling about Harlem as well.  people would say, "you walked through harlem?  alone?  and white?" as though being white made me a peculiar target.  In fact, to listen to Al Sharpton, and others, black-on-black crime is a bigger problem in such neighborhoods just now.  There's still a lingering perception of black-as-criminal among nonblacks (particularly asians, but to some degree whites as well).  Of course, kneejerk policy responses and Political Correctness isn't going to fix that lingering perception, but then I think people are starting to realize that.

Being white does make you a target in certain black neighborhoods, just a being black makes you a target in certain white neighborhoods (like Howard Beach in Queens).

Does that mean that every black person in Harlem, or every white person in Howard Beach, is a threat to a person of the opposite race?  Of course not.  I have walked through black neighborhoods many times without a problem.  Yet I know that statistically, my chance of being a crime victim is much higher there than in a white neighborhood.  It's simply a fact of life, and I don't think denying it changes anything.

As far as Harlem goes, I have generally found it to be friendly.  I think many Harlem residents take pride in the history of their community, and in what it represents to blacks in general, and want to give off the best possible impression.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2005, 10:22:40 PM »

I'm not sure why voting 85% Democrat would make someone think its 85% black. Seattle is 70% white and still voted 81% Kerry. White people in cities are liberal too.

Whites moving back into the city does not mean desegragation.  It simply means that neighborhoods transition from mostly black to mostly white, just as they transitioned in the other direction in the 1960s and 1970s.  There will never be true broad-based desegregation until the cultural gap between blacks and whites is significantly narrowed.

Well Harlem for example as seen a pretty decent influx of white residents & the area is becoming incresingly deseggregated
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2005, 10:34:32 PM »

Well Harlem for example as seen a pretty decent influx of white residents & the area is becoming incresingly deseggregated

Not really.  It's seen an influx of highly successful and affluent blacks.  The whites are on the margins of Harlem, in parts that already border white neighborhoods and will become part of the white neighborhoods if the trend continues.  There is no real desegregation taking place in New York, I'm sorry to say.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2005, 11:35:11 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2005, 11:37:13 PM by Jesus »

I don't really care. Segregation is one thing, but if people want to live a neighborhood where most people are the same race as them (which more than a few black people do) then I don't really care.

Seattle is desegregating, so sorry if I thought other cities might be doing the same thing. Yes, partly due to gentrification, but those neighborhoods still have large black populations.

But the thing is---It's not what's happening to the old black neighborhoods, it's the fact that the black people are spreading out in the suburbs (and probably other parts of the city).

For example, percentage-wise King County's black population increased between the 1990 census and the 2000 census. However, Seattle's decreased significantly (by percentage and actual population). This means that despite Seattle's huge loss of black people, the suburbs more than made up for it.

Now let's look at the suburbs the black people are moving too. While it is true that they are mostly moving to the middle class South King County suburbs, South King County is home to 600,000 people and no single area (or a few areas) took in most of the black people. They spread out.  An exception might be Renton, the eastern part of which does have a large concentration (at least by Seattle standards) of black people. However, this is mostly due to the fact that Renton borders Seattle, particulary Rainier Valley, a neighborhood with a large black population. Although Rainier Valley is still only like 40% black. The other neighborhood I was talking about was the Central District, which went from be 70% black to less than 40% black since the 70's.

And gentrification isn't a bad thing. The yuppies and f****ts spilling over from Capitol Hill into former black neighborhoods in the city pay good money to the black people to have their house demolished for a new condo building. The black people take that money and buy a nicer house in the suburbs.

The only majority-black neighborhood in the entire Northwest left is probably Hilltop in Tacoma, and even then it's only 60% black.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2005, 12:09:43 AM »

Housing projects.

I live in Arlington right now and work in DC, and just walking around in the nice areas you'd think blacks were a small minority. But that's because you don't go to the bad areas... if you do (and are white), you're not leaving.

The city is getting whiter, though, as crappy areas are gradually bought up and redeveloped.. not even that gradual anymore, happening quite quickly.

Oh please/  D.C has somme bad areas, but just because your white & go to those areas doesn't mean your in danger.  Just like most inner-cities you only have something to worry about is if your gang affiliated & you run into members of a rival gang,  Just being white,, doesn't put you in any danger

Smash, though he may not be exactly correct on what he said he is right. If you are white and you travel into black neighborhoods, especially in cities like Baltimore & DC you have to be VERY VERY careful as you will get cut for just being white.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2005, 12:13:07 AM »

Housing projects.

Smash, though he may not be exactly correct on what he said he is right. If you are white and you travel into black neighborhoods, especially in cities like Baltimore & DC you have to be VERY VERY careful as you will get cut for just being white.
I agree States, generally.  It's naive wishful thinking to believe otherwise, unfortunately.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2005, 12:14:10 AM »

Housing projects.

Oh please thats an utter load of crap & its coming from someone who tends to think blacks are inferior to whites. 

I have been through many black neighborhoods & have never had any problem
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2005, 12:17:01 AM »

Housing projects.

Oh please thats an utter load of crap & its coming from someone who tends to think blacks are inferior to whites. 

Where did I ever say blacks are "inferior". I never said so so STFU KTHX.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2005, 12:17:28 AM »

Housing projects.

I agree States, generally.  It's naive wishful thinking to believe otherwise, unfortunately.

Most crime in inner-cities tends to be gang related, gang on gang type crime.  A white person doesn't have to worry about getting cut, or beat simply because they are white in a black neighborhood.  Now if they tend to be affiliated with a rival gang, are start using a bunch of racial slurs thats something a bit different, but for the most part in even the most high crime ridden black neighborhoods a white person does not have to worry about getting beat, or cut simply because they are white
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2005, 12:18:56 AM »

Housing projects.

I didn't say that you said they were, I said you thought they were.  With the way you have posted in basically all topics involving race it is clear you think they are
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2005, 12:19:31 AM »

Depends on the neighborhood.  Id walk through Canton or Federal Hill at 3am and not think twice about it.  Drop me off on North Avenue... Different Story.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2005, 12:20:30 AM »

Housing projects.

I didn't say that you said they were, I said you thought they were.  With the way you have posted in basically all topics involving race it is clear you think they are

Oh wow! You know how I think better then I do! Cool. Assumption is the mother of all  ups.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2005, 12:21:14 AM »

Depends on the neighborhood.  Id walk through Canton or Federal Hill at 3am and not think twice about it.  Drop me off on North Avenue... Different Story.

That's what I was thinking when I typed that post. Cheesy
Cashcow

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2005, 12:30:13 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2005, 12:32:30 AM by Cashcow »

Housing projects.

Most crime in inner-cities tends to be gang related, gang on gang type crime.  A white person doesn't have to worry about getting cut, or beat simply because they are white in a black neighborhood.  Now if they tend to be affiliated with a rival gang, are start using a bunch of racial slurs thats something a bit different, but for the most part in even the most high crime ridden black neighborhoods a white person does not have to worry about getting beat, or cut simply because they are white

No. States and Dazzleman are, for the most, absolutely correct on this.

I grew up outside Detroit, Michigan, the most dangerous city (for its size) in the United States and possibly North America as a whole. It's 80% black. Located entirely within Detroit is a small city/town by the name of Highland Park, which has the highest crime rate in the nation, and is 95% black. In Dearborn, with its high Muslim concentration, Islamic prayer plays on loudspeakers five times a day; I would not be surprised to find many Al Qaeda sympathizers inside and around the city.

Now, having moved, I live less than ten miles from yet another miserable wretch of a city: Camden, New Jersey. The Camden neighborhood on Haddon Avenue between the suburbs and Philadelphia is so decrepit and impoverished that most of us take an alternate route to bypass Camden entirely. It's just not safe to go through there too slowly.

A few years before my grandfather died he got lost in North Philly. The police escorted him out immediately - that's what they're paid to do. Keep people safe by keeping them out.

It's unfortunate, but in places like these, "white" is often associated with "opulent." Personally, I would associate this more along the lines of poverty => crime than black => crime, but don't trick yourself into thinking that race isn't a huge factor. There are parts of Southeastern Michigan that I would genuinely be afraid for my life walking around in with a cell phone.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2005, 12:50:24 AM »

I think you live in a dream world.  The only thing those gangs hate more than each other is white people.  For your own sake, I hope you don't test your theory too severely; you could end up dead.

As I said earlier, this goes both ways.  There are white neighborhoods where blacks clearly are not safe, either.  This is a fact of life in many urban areas, and I think it serves no purpose to deny it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2005, 12:52:05 AM »

As I said earlier, this goes both ways.  There are white neighborhoods where blacks clearly are not safe, either.  This is a fact of life in many urban areas, and I think it serves no purpose to deny it.

I doubt their are many white neighborhoods in which blacks would be blatantly attacked by the residents if they wandered in somehow. They most likely would be harassad by the police however.
Cashcow

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2005, 12:54:39 AM »

I doubt their are many white neighborhoods in which blacks would be blatantly attacked by the residents if they wandered in somehow. They most likely would be harassad by the police however.

Yes there are. Some parts of Camden are like that.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2005, 02:22:23 AM »

I think you live in a dream world.  The only thing those gangs hate more than each other is white people.  For your own sake, I hope you don't test your theory too severely; you could end up dead.

Well like I have said I have been iN harlem, Washigton Heights, the bad parts of D.C & the South Bronx (& not just at Yankee Stadium) at night & have never had a probelm.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2005, 02:31:27 AM »

And gentrification isn't a bad thing.

I would dispute that

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Things really don't work like that. If they did, I wouldn't have as much a problem with it.
Pushing the problem further out away from the centre of a city doesn't help solve it at all.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2005, 08:17:34 AM »

Yes, suburban elitists will never understand that most people who live in the cities like it there and don't want to move to the nightmarish pit of hell that is suburbia.

False.  Might be true for the soft hipsters and elite.  My parents grew up in the projects and they despised it.   I know a lot of people who still do and they hate it as well.  City living is only better if you can afford its benefits.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies