DC is 60% black!?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:27:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  DC is 60% black!?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: DC is 60% black!?  (Read 16373 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2005, 02:50:08 PM »

I realized that there was a large black population in DC, but I didn't realize it was the majority!  The breakdown is as follows:

Black 60.01%
White 32.78%
Hispanic 7.86%
Asian 2.66%

Compare this with some other major cities:

NYC
White 44.66%
Hispanic 26.98%
Black 26.59%
Asian 9.83%

Chicago
White 41.97%
Black 36.77%
Hispanic 26.02%
Asian 4.35%

San Francisco
White 49.66%
Asian 30.84%
Hispanic 14.10%
Black 7.79%

So my question is how the heck did DC get such a concentrated, large black population?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 02:55:48 PM »

Housing projects.

I live in Arlington right now and work in DC, and just walking around in the nice areas you'd think blacks were a small minority. But that's because you don't go to the bad areas... if you do (and are white), you're not leaving.

The city is getting whiter, though, as crappy areas are gradually bought up and redeveloped.. not even that gradual anymore, happening quite quickly.
danwxman

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 04:01:58 PM »

I thought it was more black.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 04:06:55 PM »

I thought it was around 75-80%. I remember reading that somewhere.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 04:08:03 PM »

.. if you do (and are white), you're not leaving.

lol.

Both Maryland and Virginia were slave states so there has always been a large black population in that area. It shouldn't really be surprising that DC is majority black. Even some of the suburbs are majority black in that area.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 04:09:22 PM »

I'd have guessed that as well.  You know we're guilty of stereotyping.  I'm guessing my impression comes from the fact that I'm aware that it's 85+% democrat in elections, and I extrapolate from that.  Bet that's why we were surprised at 60%.  But now that I think about it, I've been to DC many times, most recently in May of this year, and I can remember strolling through many lily-white neighborhoods (e.g., Georgetown).  
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 04:18:47 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2005, 09:40:30 AM by MODU »

I'd have guessed that as well.  You know we're guilty of stereotyping.  I'm guessing my impression comes from the fact that I'm aware that it's 85+% democrat in elections, and I extrapolate from that.  Bet that's why we were surprised at 60%.  But now that I think about it, I've been to DC many times, most recently in May of this year, and I can remember strolling through many lily-white neighborhoods (e.g., Georgetown).  

There are a few pockets like Georgetown, but when you go North into the city, it's "the projects."  Most people (tourists) dont' go much North than the Grey Hound Bus terminal which is not that far from the rail station.  Beyond that, it's Mayor Marion Berry area.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 04:25:43 PM »

I live right around DC, and I would have guessed 70%.  But most white people who live in the city are Democrats as well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 04:26:20 PM »

I'd have guessed that as well.  You know we're guilty of stereotyping.  

In all honesty, I was not stereotyping. I remember reading about it somewhere.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 04:48:17 PM »

Housing projects.

I live in Arlington right now and work in DC, and just walking around in the nice areas you'd think blacks were a small minority. But that's because you don't go to the bad areas... if you do (and are white), you're not leaving.

The city is getting whiter, though, as crappy areas are gradually bought up and redeveloped.. not even that gradual anymore, happening quite quickly.

Oh please/  D.C has somme bad areas, but just because your white & go to those areas doesn't mean your in danger.  Just like most inner-cities you only have something to worry about is if your gang affiliated & you run into members of a rival gang,  Just being white,, doesn't put you in any danger
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 04:57:01 PM »

this was always my feeling about Harlem as well.  people would say, "you walked through harlem?  alone?  and white?" as though being white made me a peculiar target.  In fact, to listen to Al Sharpton, and others, black-on-black crime is a bigger problem in such neighborhoods just now.  There's still a lingering perception of black-as-criminal among nonblacks (particularly asians, but to some degree whites as well).  Of course, kneejerk policy responses and Political Correctness isn't going to fix that lingering perception, but then I think people are starting to realize that.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 05:00:19 PM »

Totally.  I've never felt unsafe in a predominantly black area.  Sometimes, I feel safer (not even kidding).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 05:08:59 PM »

Totally.  I've never felt unsafe in a predominantly black area.  Sometimes, I feel safer (not even kidding).

well, clowns are kinda scary.  I wouldn't harass you either, Krusty.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 05:14:45 PM »

this was always my feeling about Harlem as well.  people would say, "you walked through harlem?  alone?  and white?" as though being white made me a peculiar target.  In fact, to listen to Al Sharpton, and others, black-on-black crime is a bigger problem in such neighborhoods just now.  There's still a lingering perception of black-as-criminal among nonblacks (particularly asians, but to some degree whites as well).  Of course, kneejerk policy responses and Political Correctness isn't going to fix that lingering perception, but then I think people are starting to realize that.

I have been in Harlem, been in Washington Heights, been in the South bronx ( & not just Yankee Stadium) and have never had a problem.  In fact the only time I have had anything stolen was a stereo from my old car (back window was broekn into) in front of my house & my neighborhood is 96% white
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 05:28:21 PM »

But most white people who live in the city are Democrats as well.

True. The white vote in DC has gone Democratic in every election except that of 1972.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 05:39:51 PM »

Let's see, I walked all over Nicetown, in North Philadelphia, today.  Yesterday I walked around in West Allegheny.  The worst thing that happened was that everybody spoke to me.  A few of us exchanged information on our medical conditions.  I wished Ike Thompson a happy birthday; he's originally from VA, BTW.

Maybe the reason nobody comes back from those DC sections is that the don't want to leave.  
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 05:42:08 PM »

Yes, suburban elitists will never understand that most people who live in the cities like it there and don't want to move to the nightmarish pit of hell that is suburbia.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 07:39:49 PM »

Yes, suburban elitists will never understand that most people who live in the cities like it there and don't want to move to the nightmarish pit of hell that is suburbia.

People with this myopia are not limited to suburbia - plenty of people in cities don't like going into majority-black neighborhoods, even if they're safer than where they currently live.  They think that the moment they're seen as a white person they'll be devoured.

I'm not sure I'd want to live there (property crime is sky-high) but during the day I don't feel unsafe walking around there.  There are so many people, and a great sense of community.  This is unlike the red-light districts, which are often just a mess of cement and industrial depression.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 04:27:16 AM »

Phil can be excused for thinking it was higher.
This is because Goldie (not Bob, the other one.) is right about one thing - the Black proportion of the city's population has been falling.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 09:32:19 AM »

Memphis is 65% black, and about 65-70% Democrat.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 11:19:07 AM »

Ahem: the black population of D.C. has been falling from 80% in the early 1970s to 60% today precisely because they are moving to those elite suburbs in MD. "Black flight", if you will.

I've actully seen N.E., and the nearby Maryland suburbs. Only crack addicts and prostitutes and others who lack self-worth choose to live in N.E.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 11:23:47 AM »

PG's now has a higher Black percentage than D.C.
Same#s true in the Atlanta area btw. (DeKalb and Clayton have higher Black percentages than Fulton.)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 11:33:10 AM »

Ahem: the black population of D.C. has been falling from 80% in the early 1970s to 60% today precisely because they are moving to those elite suburbs in MD. "Black flight", if you will.

I've actully seen N.E., and the nearby Maryland suburbs. Only crack addicts and prostitutes and others who lack self-worth choose to live in N.E.

And white people are moving back into the city.

Perhaps its just desegregation slowly taking place.

I'm not sure why voting 85% Democrat would make someone think its 85% black. Seattle is 70% white and still voted 81% Kerry. White people in cities are liberal too.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 03:15:49 PM »

Memphis is 65% black, and about 65-70% Democrat.

According to Wikipedia Memphis is 61% black
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 03:29:35 PM »

And white people are moving back into the city.

Perhaps its just desegregation slowly taking place.

You mean gentrification? If so... desegregation? Hah! Gentrification tends to push out the people who lived in the area before the Yuppies came; maybe the overall numbers might look desegregated, but as soon as you look at more detailed statistics...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies